Chromecast will not connect to my TELUS ROUTER

Search This thread

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm using the telus actiontech router with chromcast with no issues....

its a pretty crappy router though and it seems telus disabled the ability for bridge mode in the latest firmware... has anyone found a solution to this so i can buy a better router?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it may be called NAT on that unit....
Disabling it should make the unit pass the public IPs to whatever is connected to the device.
But your service may only allow one which is fine if your hooking up a router but may not work properly without one (Your Current Setup)

Best to call Customer support and ask them how to put the modem into bridge mode...
Once you have your Router you might also want to disable the WiFI in that Modem.

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
they won't put it in bridge mode as they don't support 3rd party routers.. i am looking for a non double NAT solution

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
they won't put it in bridge mode as they don't support 3rd party routers.. i am looking for a non double NAT solution

Just to clarify a few things:

1. The Firewall Security settings on the Actiontec router are NAT/Low/Medium/High. The least security is NAT, which means "NAT only, no ports blocked". Selecting one of the other 3 settings pops up a long list of internet protocols, some of which are checked as permitted, other unchecked to mean not permitted. The 3 options Low/Medium/High just offer 3 pre-set levels of increasing blocking in the list, but you can customize the list by checking/unchecking the individual protocols. Just use the default NAT unless you have some reason for blocking a specific protocol.

2. The reason why Telus doesn't want to allow customers to bridge the router section of the Actiontec and use it as a pure modem is because it is designed to support their Optik IPTV service as well as customer internet. The router provides dedicated bandwidth for the TV service, supports HPNA to connect to the TV box via coax, and uses IGMP to set up multicast to multiple TV boxes in the home. Technically the Optik IPTV service can work with other user-provided routers, but there may be TV issues that the user doesn't fully understand, and Telus doesn't want the support hassle of dealing with that.

3. I'm not sure why the Chromecast wouldn't work with the Actiontec (I suspect that Telus has enabled AP isolation with no option to turn it off), but there's nothing stopping you from attaching your own router to one of the LAN ports of the Actiontec and putting it in the DMZ of the Actiontec. Yes, there will be double-NAT, but the Chromecast isn't affected by that when you use it with your own router.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simba501 and Asphyx

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
I'm not having any chromecast issues just really slow WiFi speeds in general... and i also don't have optik tv service just internet 50 service...

it looks like there used to be ways of flashing modded firmware or root accounts to put modem/router in bridge mode but those methods have been closed by telus...

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm not having any chromecast issues just really slow WiFi speeds in general... and i also don't have optik tv service just internet 50 service...

it looks like there used to be ways of flashing modded firmware or root accounts to put modem/router in bridge mode but those methods have been closed by telus...

Well if you do not need any special services of the Modem then you have the right under the FCC rules to buy your own Modem/Router (same unit or separate) to use to connect to their Internet service.

Do you know how your current modem connects to their service?
Does it use PPPoE, Static IP, PPTP, L2TP or DHCP?

If it uses anything other than DHCP then all you need to have is your login information to set up the new modem.
If it uses DHCP then you will have to call your ISP and give them the Mac Address for your new device so they can add it to their approved DHCP clients.
That should give you full control over the unit and much more options in the settings.(Maybe even a few nice extra features.)

But make sure you get all the info you need for connection before you remove the old device. Going into Manual Setup might help but I don't really know your unit that well to say for sure.

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
telus is Canadian so its the crtc not fcc... don't know if it's the same up here... although i have done this in the past with other providers using tomatoe firmware...

id assume im connecting via pppoe as that's what other dsl providers in Canada use...

does anyone have experience doing this with telus and if so what hardware did you buy? I need ac wifi and usb3 would be nice too..

Bob Smith42

Jun 7, 2011
There might be a few tips in the "troubleshooter" link on the following page:

Troubleshoot an Issue
https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en

E.g. "Chromecast only displays 2.4GHz networks as Wi-Fi options in the setup app. 5GHz networks are not compatible with Chromecast and will not be listed. If you have enabled AP Isolation/Client Isolation on your Wi-Fi router, or if this is the default setting, you will need to turn it off. Learn more about AP Isolation here. If the network you want to connect to is hidden (a network that is set not to broadcast its name), you'll need to manually input the network's name and password. Please call your network provider if you don't know the name or password of your Wi-Fi router".

tramos

Jul 14, 2014
Surrey
Chromecast/Actiontec V1000h

I'm on Telus and using the Actiontec V1000h in bridge mode. My router is a Linksys EA6500. I've been using Chromecast for 8 months now and I didn't have any problem getting it to work with my current network setup. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4, Asus Memopad 10 and a Nexux 7 2012 tablets to cast from Youtube and Netflix.

A friend lent me his chromecast. He uses an iphone and Shaw cable. I use a Nexus 4, and have Telus as my internet provider.

It was a bear trying to get chromecast to work. Tried 5 separate days. Got it to work and i could watch netflix/youtube on it about 3 times and played with it for a couple of hours each. That's the success.

The fail is that I had to trouble shoot more then 4+ hours to get it to work those 3 times. Reboot the chromecast. Reboot the router. Reboot my Nexus 4. Try my wife's Nexus 4. Try the Nexus 7 tablet. It was a horrible experience. I got the AP recommendation like the earlier post in this thread. I tried that. Tried calling telus and signed into my router to check that those settings were correct. As far as I understand it's a gateway 11n wireless router.

So my conclusion is change my internet provider to Shaw unless someone has a smart solution to this problem. The router says it's a 50ghz signal? So it isn't the 2.4vs 5.0 ghz signal problem that I've googled and read about.

Please provide some brains to my situation. I've used all of mine up.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm on Telus and using the Actiontec V1000h in bridge mode. My router is a Linksys EA6500. I've been using Chromecast for 8 months now and I didn't have any problem getting it to work with my current network setup. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4, Asus Memopad 10 and a Nexux 7 2012 tablets to cast from Youtube and Netflix.

Now for the $10,000 Question.....

How did you get it to go into Bridge mode?

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013

So far as I am aware no method has yet been published to put the Telus Actiontec V1000H with the latest .13 firmware version into bridge mode, or to get full admin access.

But that isn't really necessary for most people as long as you have your own router. Just do this:
1. Turn off WiFi on the Actiontec
2. Connect your router to a LAN port on the Actiontec
3. Note the MAC address of your router and give it a reserved DHCP address on the Actiontec
4. Put your router in the DMZ of the Actiontec (under Firewall - DMZ Hosting)
5. Confirm NAT as the default security level on the Actiontec (under Firewall)

I've yet to encounter any problems with this configuration compared to having my router connected directly to a cable modem. Everything on my own router continues to work as usual. My Chromecast is fine. My VoIP devices are fine. External access to my IP cameras and NAS works fine. My VPN works fine. I wouldn't go so far as to say that everything is guaranteed to work fine - just that everything I use works fine. My primary router is a Linksys WRT400N, but I also use my $15 D-Link router with DD-WRT firmware occasionally, so it's not like it costs a lot of money to use your own router.

Last edited:
Reactions: nolook

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
So far as I am aware no method has yet been published to put the Telus Actiontec V1000H with the latest .13 firmware version into bridge mode, or to get full admin access.

I'm sure and certainly trust you on this...
I was referring to the guy who claimed to have it in bridge mode! LOL

You know like those guys who flash a brand new rom and then say it's VERY stable despite the Dev posting a list a mile long of what things are broken and what crashes? LOL

DMZ is one way around it and you can also get around a double nat by simply doing a double Port Forward....

Forward the port you want to the router then have the router forward it to the machine you want...

I personally just hate when my ISP want to control MY Network for me and insists I have to use their IPs even if I want to use my own.

Time Warner has one of these hybrid modem/routers they give out now so I made them put it into bridge mode.Now if I ever need a Public IP outside of my router I can get one!

But you are absolutely correct there are ways around it.

tramos

Jul 14, 2014
Surrey
Chromecast / Telus Actiontec V1000h

XDA won't allow me to post the site because I have only posted less than 10 messages :)
Search for "Telus Internet Tips From The Darknet"
Here's the instructions I followed: You must have this firmware "31.30L.57' for it to work. I read from Telus DSLreports that a new firmware is being pushed to the Actiontec so make sure you have the above firmware. The following instructions I copied from the site mentioned above.

1. unplug rj11 (telehpone) cable from router.
2. log into the router and do a factory reset with admin account (not root, not yet)
3. Do a hard reset of the modem (pen in reset button) until the power light turns red.
4. unplug the power from the modem for 15 secs.
5. log back into the modem with root account: username: root password: Thr33scr33n!
6. go to "Advanced Setup" - > WAN IP Addressing -> select "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging"
7. Disable NAT
8. Disable wireless
9. Download config file
10. Open thew file in notepad and change:
FALSE

leave blank

leave blank
leave blank

11. upload the file back to the router (the first time this failed, I tried again and it worked)
12. Ping the router (192.168.1.254) until it comes back online.
13. log back in with root and download the config file again and make sure the setting stuck
14. ** Now Plug the RJ11/Telephone cable back in **
15. Got to your telus tv and unplug the power and plug it back in.
16. grab a beer.

I also have a e3200 running tomato using this setup. Good luck.

Reactions: Asphyx

nolook

Sep 5, 2010
thanks but unfortunately this has been patched in the latest. 13 firmware...

moh614

Jul 18, 2014
Chromecast would not connect with telus V1000H

No way to force an older one back on I guess....

Chromecast would not connect with telus V1000H.
Actiontec FAQs confirm, they do not ENABLE AP Isolation feature on their modems.

Anyone has a solution, please post. thanks

UPDATE
Finally Actiontec router V1000H works with firmware 31.121L.13 and Chromecast successfully.
NO changes to router default settings.
CC powered by wall power socket.
First I tried with my phone moto g and it worked. CC restarts and updates itself when attached to TV.
I ENABLED .NET Framework 3.5 in Control panel > programs and features. Restart your PC (windows 8).
Then installed cc installer on my PC and it also worked.
Good luck all!
UPDATE

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
From all the posts I've read about trying to use the Chromecast with the Actiontec V1000H, it seems that most people couldn't get it to work, but a few did get it to work erratically. They weren't sure why it would suddenly work one time, and not the next time. It didn't sound like they had changed firmware versions between tests, so it's probably nothing to do with the firmware version. They experimented with various settings, but it didn't seem like the erratic connection was consistently affected by any setting. It probably isn't default AP isolation if it can change erratically.

But in the end all I can say for sure is that I couldn't get it to work on my Telus Actiontec V1000H with the latest .13 firmware. I have the lowest level of security (NAT), and I'm not using any other special settings that would affect it. The Chromecast works fine on my Linksys router or D-Link router when they are connected via the Actiontec.

Google officially lists the Actiontec V1000H as one of the routers which does not support the Chromecast with default settings: https://support.google.com/chromecast/table/3477832?hl=en
Their "More Information" says: "ActionTec Routers may not support the multicast protocol, which your network must have to detect your Chromecast. If multicast is available, you need to enable it by navigating to Router Settings > Enable UPnP from within your router settings." Telus routers do provide access to that setting under Firewall, but UPnP is enabled by default.

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Some people have suggested that setting the Actiontec Security level to High, connecting to the Chromecast, and then setting it back to NAT works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    fixed...

It could be a few things not related to the router directly but related in how the Router connects to your ISP.

So a couple of questions...

1. What kind of service is your ISP? (DSL, CABLE, OTHER)
    2. What Public IP does your router report? (Usually found on the status page that shows connection data) If it starts off 192.168 then your Modem is doing a double nat translation and you need to call your ISP and tell them you want the Modem to be put into gateway mode and just pass a public IP to your router.
    3. Does the CCast actually connect to the Router but not work or will it not connect at all period? If it doesn't connect at all it is possible you need to change the Security method used to WPA or WEP. To test shut off security alltogether and try to connect the CCast. If there is currently NO security try putting WPA on and trying again (but it should work on an open AP)

Service is Telus DSL.

Solution: I changed the security settings. It still tries to stop the CCast from talking to my phone once in a while, but I just log into my router and log into the firewall settings. The firewall settings are "high, medium, low, NAT". It started working once I started turning it off of NAT and onto Medium or High.

I don't know why this is the solution, but it is a solution. I suspect that either Telus will fix the prolbem for everyone else or this thread will become popular. Now CCast is coming to Canada. So either Telus fixes it or there'll be a lot of searching leading to this post.

As a reminder, a friend of mine on telus never toughed his firewall settings and never had a problem with using his CCast. Go figure.

Just to clarify a few things:

1. The Firewall Security settings on the Actiontec router are NAT/Low/Medium/High. The least security is NAT, which means "NAT only, no ports blocked". Selecting one of the other 3 settings pops up a long list of internet protocols, some of which are checked as permitted, other unchecked to mean not permitted. The 3 options Low/Medium/High just offer 3 pre-set levels of increasing blocking in the list, but you can customize the list by checking/unchecking the individual protocols. Just use the default NAT unless you have some reason for blocking a specific protocol.

2. The reason why Telus doesn't want to allow customers to bridge the router section of the Actiontec and use it as a pure modem is because it is designed to support their Optik IPTV service as well as customer internet. The router provides dedicated bandwidth for the TV service, supports HPNA to connect to the TV box via coax, and uses IGMP to set up multicast to multiple TV boxes in the home. Technically the Optik IPTV service can work with other user-provided routers, but there may be TV issues that the user doesn't fully understand, and Telus doesn't want the support hassle of dealing with that.

3. I'm not sure why the Chromecast wouldn't work with the Actiontec (I suspect that Telus has enabled AP isolation with no option to turn it off), but there's nothing stopping you from attaching your own router to one of the LAN ports of the Actiontec and putting it in the DMZ of the Actiontec. Yes, there will be double-NAT, but the Chromecast isn't affected by that when you use it with your own router.
    2237 9525694

Chromecast wont connect to my telus router (Actiontec V1000H). I can't see any option to enable/disable AP Isolation. Is there any solution for this?

fixed:laugh:

How?
    So I can get through the setup phase up until the Chromecast tries to connect to my wifi network. I get a message saying it couldn't connect, and when I click the link in the message it brings me to a page that mentions AP filtering, UPNP enabling and .NET 3.5. I checked and UPNP is enabled, and I can't find an option for AP filtering (I have the Actiontech V1000h). I am using a Macbook pro.
    In some cases you have to go through a couple of times. I just reset my Chromecast to test a few things and had to go through the setup twice before it connected to my WiFi.
    Chromecast / Telus Actiontec V1000h

XDA won't allow me to post the site because I have only posted less than 10 messages :)
    Search for "Telus Internet Tips From The Darknet"
    Here's the instructions I followed: You must have this firmware "31.30L.57' for it to work. I read from Telus DSLreports that a new firmware is being pushed to the Actiontec so make sure you have the above firmware. The following instructions I copied from the site mentioned above.

1. unplug rj11 (telehpone) cable from router.
    2. log into the router and do a factory reset with admin account (not root, not yet)
    3. Do a hard reset of the modem (pen in reset button) until the power light turns red.
    4. unplug the power from the modem for 15 secs.
    5. log back into the modem with root account: username: root password: Thr33scr33n!
    6. go to "Advanced Setup" - > WAN IP Addressing -> select "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging"
    7. Disable NAT
    8. Disable wireless
    9. Download config file
    10. Open thew file in notepad and change:
    FALSE

leave blank

leave blank
    leave blank

11. upload the file back to the router (the first time this failed, I tried again and it worked)
    12. Ping the router (192.168.1.254) until it comes back online.
    13. log back in with root and download the config file again and make sure the setting stuck
    14. ** Now Plug the RJ11/Telephone cable back in **
    15. Got to your telus tv and unplug the power and plug it back in.
    16. grab a beer.

I also have a e3200 running tomato using this setup. Good luck.