[App][Apr 24 2010] PlaySound - Command line sound player / vibrate for scripting

Search This thread

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
Description
I had a need to play a sound and vibrate my phone in a script-like setting (specifically, actions in the amazing Rhodium Keyboard Controller app). I couldn't find a simple app to let me do this. So I wrote one! It took about 10 minutes. :) I now share this with you because I'm sure somebody else has had the same need.

Tip Jar
Like this app? Want more like it? Tip a buck (or Euro or Pound or whatever) or two to help the author out! Click here to make a safe donation via PayPal.

To Use
1. Copy the PlaySound.exe file somewhere, like \Windows.
2. In your script or LNK, use command line arguments to tell it what to do. A single command line argument means that you are specifying a path to a sound to play. It will only play WAV files (sorry if you want WMA or MP3 etc you will need to convert). If you specify two arguments, it means you want to vibrate the phone. The first argument is the LED index of the vibrate (usually 1), and the second is length of time to vibrate in milliseconds.
3. If you do not specify command line arguments, or specify invalid ones (wrong path, negative number, etc.), it will fail without any notice (run, then immediately quit). This app will not tell you when something goes wrong.

Examples
Play the loudest.wav sound in \Windows
playsound.exe \windows\loudest.wav

Vibrate a Touch Pro 2 for half a second
playsound.exe 1 500

Notes
Remember to enclose the path in quotes if you have spaces in the path name to your file, or else PlaySound will interpret it as multiple arguments and think you want to vibrate. (for example, playsound.exe "\Program Files\My App\Sound.wav")

License
This app is released into the public domain with no warranty. That means you can redistribute it at will and do not even have to give me credit. I would appreciate credit, though. ;-) Enjoy!

Requirements
At least WM5 (fully compatible with WM6/6.1/6.5). It should work on touchscreen and non-touchscreen devices both, but I haven't tested it on a non-touchscreen device yet.

Updates
It's highly doubtful that I will ever update this app. If you need more features, feel free to use the source and compile your own!

Downloads
Attached to this post is the app and full source code.

Attachments

• PlaySoundExe.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 599
  • PlaySoundSource.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
Hi thx1200,

i have seen the following:

But not argc = 1 so as in playsound.exe 1 500. Where you it done, or i am blind :).

BTW:
good, easy and clean. Short gec

if argc is either 2 or 3 they do their thing and return 0, otherwise the routine follows and returns -1, that's the trigger ;)

EDIT: wait, I think I just said a very stupid thing... this is my second guess: for not knowing ANYTHING about wm programming, I think that argc is the number of arguments passed to the program (as in ARGument Count), while argv[] is the (ARGument Value) index for those parameters ;)

Last edited:

thx1200

Inactive Recognized Developer
if argc is either 2 or 3 they do their thing and return 0, otherwise the routine follows and returns -1, that's the trigger ;)

EDIT: wait, I think I just said a very stupid thing... this is my second guess: for not knowing ANYTHING about wm programming, I think that argc is the number of arguments passed to the program (as in ARGument Count), while argv[] is the (ARGument Value) index for those parameters ;)

You are correct. argc just counts the number of arguments passed to the application. argv contains the arguments. To make it more confusing, the application path is also passed in. So argv[0] is the app path, argv[1] is argument 1, argv[2] is argument 2, etc. So, argc (argument count) is 2 when there is actually one argument passed in (because the first argument is the app path and the second the first argument).

argv is a string array, so you have to convert the string into a numeric value if you want to do numeric processing, and that's what the _ttoi() function does for the LED index and wait value.

And, there you have it. :)

Last edited: