HELP! Broken screen glass

Search This thread
Jan 17, 2014
I was getting the stuff out of my car an hour or so ago and I didn't take my bag out properly. Long story short the tablet, an LTE SM-P605) fell on concrete and now the glass is shattered. It still responds to touch and seems to be working properly. Charges and everything. Is there a fix to this that doesn't involve an entire new unit? I would muchhhh rather spend $200 or less on parts and tools to repair the screen than a few times as much getting a replacement unit.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I was getting the stuff out of my car an hour or so ago and I didn't take my bag out properly. Long story short the tablet, an LTE SM-P605) fell on concrete and now the glass is shattered. It still responds to touch and seems to be working properly. Charges and everything. Is there a fix to this that doesn't involve an entire new unit? I would muchhhh rather spend $200 or less on parts and tools to repair the screen than a few times as much getting a replacement unit.

Easiest and cheapest way to repair http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...ablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item4d1c4ea116

TechGeekDK

May 7, 2012
Aarhus

Well I do know that Samsung offers repair of a shattered screen at 1/2 the price if you did it within 1/2 a year from date of purchase. At least Samsung offers this in Denmark. Not sure what goes in the US. But might be worth a try to ask your supplier. A lot of the stores don't really know that Samsung offers this.. So if they say "noooo way!" ask them to double check with their service center.

Cheers:good:

Last edited:

LonelyTV

Mar 28, 2010

Yes, It appears to be the correct screen. However, keep in mind that build quality of these screens are not the same as the ones from Samsung. I've repaired plenty of iPhones with cracked screens and the replacements that I would buy varied in build quality some of them were awesome and had little to no flaws, but I did receive a few that were awful.

Good luck with the repair.

Jan 17, 2014
Yes, It appears to be the correct screen. However, keep in mind that build quality of these screens are not the same as the ones from Samsung. I've repaired plenty of iPhones with cracked screens and the replacements that I would buy varied in build quality some of them were awesome and had little to no flaws, but I did receive a few that were awful.

Good luck with the repair.

That eBay piece contains the glass? Just making sure it's the right part. Everything works 100% except cracked glass on the surface. LCD and touch response seem to be aces.

Jan 17, 2014
I've read the screen is glued to the LCD. How hard is it to heat and take that off? I'd love if someone knew of a repair service for the 2014 Edition not the old one.

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
Less hassle:

• $_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG

Details about Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition P600 P601 P605 LCD Screen+Touch Digitizer

: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...eReader_Screen_Protectors&hash=item3389f72d01

warboat

Dec 20, 2005
Melbourne
Don't need professional tools!

It's also way more expensive. How do you go about ungluing something like this tablet? Do you need professional tools to do this

Firstly, anybody can do bonded screen replacements without professional tools.
The most important tool you will need is patience and determination.

I repair phones, tablets and laptops. While professional tools will make the job easier and give a better quality result, it is possible to get professional results without expensive tools.
I'm not going to go into dismantling device, you can find plenty of instructions on doing that for various devices.
I will cover just the bonded screen issue.
Apart from the replacement glass/ddigitizer,
These are the things you may need and they are all cheap:
1. Molybdenum wire - around $10 for a couple of 100m rolls
2. Plastic Playing cards
3. Non serated plastic knife
4. Hairdryer or heatgun, or an iron (yes, ordinary clothes iron)
5. Infrared thermometer ($40 or so) - not essential but very handy
6. Loca glue
7. UV lamp
8. Couple pairs of small pliers or something to grip the molybdenum wire
9. Cleaning alcohol, or metholated spirits will do.

Once you have removed the screen assembly with the LCD, you need to heat the bonding from the glass side with the hairdryer or iron.
I prefer using the iron set at the right temperature which you can use the thermometer to check. Start at around 90deg C.
Hairdryer will also work, but you can't regulate the temp accurately.
Get the glass up around 90 and start working a corner with a short length of moly wire and grip it using the pliers.
You could fabricate handles for the cutting wires using wooden chopsticks or something but I prefer pliers as the wire will break often and its easy to regrip using pliers.
As you work the wire in, follow behind using the playing cards to keep the glass seperated.
Don't get frustrated if the wire breaks often, expect it!
As you get good at it, you get a feel for the strength of the wire and will break less.
Also try a little more heat for some devices as they have tougher glue but don't go too hot or it will damage LCD.
Once you have cut right through and seperated it, clean the remaining glue off using alcohol and a bit of hairdryer heat and just gently rolling the glue into lumps.
Once its nice and clean, apply the LOCA glue in a double Y like this >---< and gently just lower the new glass on it.
You might need to make a stencil for alignment to locate the glass precisely.
You can do this using cardboard and tape before removing the old broken glass.
I cannot stress the importance of precise alignment, so use your head and innovation to achieve accuracy.
Professionally, we use prefab brackets to align the LCD and glass digitizer, but it can be done with a bit of ingenuity and cardboard.
Don't press down on the loca at first, just let it spread under the weight of the glass.
Work any bubbles out gently and if you need to, use the plastic knife to seperate the glass a little bit and rework.
Once its all good, apply some pressure and let excess LOCA ooze out and wipre it off.
Apply sticky tape to fix the glass in alignment to LCD.
When it's all good, put the UV lamp on it for about 10mins
If you don't have a UV lamp, you can cure it in sunlight for a few hours.
You can get the UV lamps they use for nail salons for $30 or if you are a whiz, you could buy the UV tube for $2 and hack a flouro lamp to power it.
You should end up with a screen that looks new!

PS. Before attempting this on an expensive tablet for the first time, try and get a junked phone with bonded screen and do it on that first for a bit of practice. The experience will be worth it to get better results on the real deal.
The worst you can do is stuff up the LCD and you were going to get the complete LCD digitizer combo anyway right? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: deV14nt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't need professional tools!

It's also way more expensive. How do you go about ungluing something like this tablet? Do you need professional tools to do this

Firstly, anybody can do bonded screen replacements without professional tools.
    The most important tool you will need is patience and determination.

I repair phones, tablets and laptops. While professional tools will make the job easier and give a better quality result, it is possible to get professional results without expensive tools.
    I'm not going to go into dismantling device, you can find plenty of instructions on doing that for various devices.
    I will cover just the bonded screen issue.
    Apart from the replacement glass/ddigitizer,
    These are the things you may need and they are all cheap:
    1. Molybdenum wire - around $10 for a couple of 100m rolls
    2. Plastic Playing cards
    3. Non serated plastic knife
    4. Hairdryer or heatgun, or an iron (yes, ordinary clothes iron)
    5. Infrared thermometer ($40 or so) - not essential but very handy
    6. Loca glue
    7. UV lamp
    8. Couple pairs of small pliers or something to grip the molybdenum wire
    9. Cleaning alcohol, or metholated spirits will do.

Once you have removed the screen assembly with the LCD, you need to heat the bonding from the glass side with the hairdryer or iron.
    I prefer using the iron set at the right temperature which you can use the thermometer to check. Start at around 90deg C.
    Hairdryer will also work, but you can't regulate the temp accurately.
    Get the glass up around 90 and start working a corner with a short length of moly wire and grip it using the pliers.
    You could fabricate handles for the cutting wires using wooden chopsticks or something but I prefer pliers as the wire will break often and its easy to regrip using pliers.
    As you work the wire in, follow behind using the playing cards to keep the glass seperated.
    Don't get frustrated if the wire breaks often, expect it!
    As you get good at it, you get a feel for the strength of the wire and will break less.
    Also try a little more heat for some devices as they have tougher glue but don't go too hot or it will damage LCD.
    Once you have cut right through and seperated it, clean the remaining glue off using alcohol and a bit of hairdryer heat and just gently rolling the glue into lumps.
    Once its nice and clean, apply the LOCA glue in a double Y like this >---< and gently just lower the new glass on it.
    You might need to make a stencil for alignment to locate the glass precisely.
    You can do this using cardboard and tape before removing the old broken glass.
    I cannot stress the importance of precise alignment, so use your head and innovation to achieve accuracy.
    Professionally, we use prefab brackets to align the LCD and glass digitizer, but it can be done with a bit of ingenuity and cardboard.
    Don't press down on the loca at first, just let it spread under the weight of the glass.
    Work any bubbles out gently and if you need to, use the plastic knife to seperate the glass a little bit and rework.
    Once its all good, apply some pressure and let excess LOCA ooze out and wipre it off.
    Apply sticky tape to fix the glass in alignment to LCD.
    When it's all good, put the UV lamp on it for about 10mins
    If you don't have a UV lamp, you can cure it in sunlight for a few hours.
    You can get the UV lamps they use for nail salons for $30 or if you are a whiz, you could buy the UV tube for $2 and hack a flouro lamp to power it.
    You should end up with a screen that looks new!

PS. Before attempting this on an expensive tablet for the first time, try and get a junked phone with bonded screen and do it on that first for a bit of practice. The experience will be worth it to get better results on the real deal.
    The worst you can do is stuff up the LCD and you were going to get the complete LCD digitizer combo anyway right? ;)