gps issues

Search This thread

g4m3rz

Jan 3, 2009
I'm in the state of Massachusetts, USA. My GPS wasn't working even though I was outside my house for about 4hrs since getting the phone. What worked for me was downloading the app mentioned above:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.gpstest
( thanks to vq8acsxht for posting) let it run and after a few minutes I noticed my GPS was working. Really was a pain... I tried ubering and my phone thought I was in some country in the continent of Africa lols

Have you given Google Play service location access? (see the instructions a few posts above)

tacopicante123

Dec 19, 2008
I have issues with Google Maps with mine... I went to the Dual GPS and my location access is ON, High Accuracy is ON and google maps has location access as well. Google maps jumps around horribly and changes the position of the navigation arrow all the time. It's super buggy. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am about to throw this phone out the window... or sell it. I rebooted the phone several times - also am on the MIUI 10.3 by xiaomi.eu 9.1.2 beta EU ROM if this helps. Any suggestions other than the ones mentioned above would be awesome!

Reactions: 954wrecker

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
I have issues with Google Maps with mine... I went to the Dual GPS and my location access is ON, High Accuracy is ON and google maps has location access as well. Google maps jumps around horribly and changes the position of the navigation arrow all the time. It's super buggy. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am about to throw this phone out the window... or sell it. I rebooted the phone several times - also am on the MIUI 10.3 by xiaomi.eu 9.1.2 beta EU ROM if this helps. Any suggestions other than the ones mentioned above would be awesome!

Same exact issue for me. Every other navigation app seems fine and stays on the correct street. I can't figure out why Google maps navigation hops onto nearby streets while driving randomly. It's the first phone I've ever had with this issue and it is very frustrating.

Reactions: tacopicante123

tacopicante123

Dec 19, 2008
What's comparable to Google maps? Waze? Which one do you use? It's very annoying when the navigation arrow all of a sudden moves forward quickly and then goes backwards in Google maps. I just need something more accurate. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with the issue on maps!

Same exact issue for me. Every other navigation app seems fine and stays on the correct street. I can't figure out why Google maps navigation hops onto nearby streets while driving randomly. It's the first phone I've ever had with this issue and it is very frustrating.

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
What's comparable to Google maps? Waze? Which one do you use? It's very annoying when the navigation arrow all of a sudden moves forward quickly and then goes backwards in Google maps. I just need something more accurate. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with the issue on maps!
I've tried several and I'm down to using waze and mapquest. I have always used Google maps so it's not easy to switch. I've tried every setting and every silly GPS fix app on the thread and in the play store.

tacopicante123

Dec 19, 2008
I've tried several and I'm down to using waze and mapquest. I have always used Google maps so it's not easy to switch. I've tried every setting and every silly GPS fix app on the thread and in the play store.

I wonder what ROM you're using... I am on the EU rom that I flashed using TWRP recovery but I think I had issues even on the factory Chinese Rom the phone came with. Not fun at all...

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
Looks like this may never get fixed. I just downloaded Waze.. We'll see how that goes. Maps is better looking for sure but I guess I'll have to settle for now
Try MapQuest it's more similar looking to Google maps than Waze.
I tested maps going one way and then MapQuest going back the same way. Maps is twitchy and the location triangle is all over the place. MapQuest was normal the location icon never twitched or changed directions or hopped to another street.

Last edited:

tacopicante123

Dec 19, 2008
I have the same issue with Google Maps. I'm on the weekly eu rom.

I'm not sure if this issue was already there before Google changed the interface design. I will Install an older version and test it tomorrow.

Thanks! Let us know the results... I tried waze and it was OK for the most part but I lost GPS mid way through my drive home... Don't know if it was a reception issue or what. Gonna try mapquest and see how it goes.

Reactions: 954wrecker

skaterazn

Apr 29, 2009
Thanks! Let us know the results... I tried waze and it was OK for the most part but I lost GPS mid way through my drive home... Don't know if it was a reception issue or what. Gonna try mapquest and see how it goes.

I have tried version 9.87.4 and it worked pretty well. Only minimal jumps when your car stops, but the position locks after some seconds. It is much better than the current version.

954wrecker

Jul 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 9
I have tried version 9.87.4 and it worked pretty well. Only minimal jumps when your car stops, but the position locks after some seconds. It is much better than the current version.
I've tried several versions over the past few weeks with no success. Today I'm trying 9.39.2 based on a random post I found on the internet. I'm really liking everything else about this phone, but I'm about to give up if I can't get Google Maps navigation to work after trying every setting for the past 3+ weeks.

tacopicante123

Dec 19, 2008

I just downloaded Google maps 9.87.4 and used it to get to work... No hiccups whatsoever and the navigation arrow stayed on the road the entire time. Good find.. This did the trick. I just set Google Play to not auto-update my apps so it doesn't mess up again. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

I've tried several versions over the past few weeks with no success. Today I'm trying 9.39.2 based on a random post I found on the internet. I'm really liking everything else about this phone, but I'm about to give up if I can't get Google Maps navigation to work after trying every setting for the past 3+ weeks.

Try this link: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...lore-9-87-4-11-android-apk-download/download/
This one works for me so far... Just uninstall the one you have and do this one. Turn off auto updates from Google Play. Hope that helps.

juaous

Jan 9, 2019
Hello, same issue ! pokemon go don't work at home :/ GPS is very very poor (i have the MIX 3 palace museum china stock stable) and i think i will install the latest Xiaomi.eu soon !
i read all your topics but finally what the problem ? and how to fix ? i read just allow permission to google ? that's all ?
Thanks You !!

Edit : Google play services was not installed on my phone so i install it with apkmirror, and now ?

Last edited:

grandman1701

Apr 3, 2011
FDS
are you using some cases? I think my problem is caused by the case i use..
strange is that my problems are like others here discribe but since i have this new case yesterday.
hope i see changes when i use the original later

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was having the same issue. I did two things and guess one of them fixed it:

1 disable MiUi optimization in developer settings
    2 give all permissions to Google play services. This was a little tricky as the default app manager doesn't allow you to modify Google play services permissions. I installed MIUP from Google play store and used the app manager to give the permissions.

GPS works fine indoors now

I just downloaded Google maps 9.87.4 and used it to get to work... No hiccups whatsoever and the navigation arrow stayed on the road the entire time. Good find.. This did the trick. I just set Google Play to not auto-update my apps so it doesn't mess up again. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Try this link: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...lore-9-87-4-11-android-apk-download/download/
    This one works for me so far... Just uninstall the one you have and do this one. Turn off auto updates from Google Play. Hope that helps.

Its not the case, its a bug in the GPS software. the issue on hand is the calculation of the GPS coordinates seems to keep going 100 feet off now and then when more Galileo satellites there. This is due to how the GPS\Glonass\Galileo all coming together as this this running Dual GPS. There is no fix, if you could disable the Galileo GPS, we might be better off. In highways where there are parallel side roads by the highway, google maps keeps going off by 100ft assuming you are on the side road instead of the highway and keeps auto re-routing. Waze seems to do better as it has some filtering in the background that avoids such 100ft jumps within a second
    New device and having the same problem (EU). No GPS when indoors. If I go outside it works...
    Is it a hardware defect or a software problem?