How To Tether Free on AT&T Android 4.4.2

Search This thread

06SilveradoZ71

Jun 29, 2014
1. Go to Settings --> More --> Tab on Application Manager
2. Go to All tab (By scrolling Vertically)
3. Find AT&T Hot Spots and click it
4. When App info opens, click Turn off

Now AT&T Hotspot is turned off (The above steps just to ensure that AT&T hotspot is off

5. Download RootBrowser and the attached file and save to your phone. Know exactly where you saved it, so you can use it later on.

6. Browse to System/app and rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex . Rename the apk and odex to*.bak*(This way, you can rename them back in case the steps did not work for you)

7. After you finish replacing the files, go to your folder where you saved the attached file and copy it to system/app & change permissions to same as the other file you renamed

7. Reboot your phone.

8. Enjoy using foxfi app or any tether app

You cant use the phone settings hotspot but atleast you can tether free on 4.4.2 alot of people are still on unlimited plan so this helps alot

Download Here

Hit Thanks If I Helped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California

Now AT&T Hotspot is turned off (The above steps just to ensure that AT&T hotspot is off

5. Download RootBrowser and the attached file and save to your phone. Know exactly where you saved it, so you can use it later on.

6. Browse to System/app and rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex . Rename the apk and odex to*.bak*(This way, you can rename them back in case the steps did not work for you)

7. After you finish replacing the files, go to your folder where you saved the attached file and copy it to system/app

7. Reboot your phone.

8. Enjoy using foxfi

Download Here

Just throwing a couple things out there.....

1. Have you tried this without changing file permissions after the copy?

2. The file is not foxfi.... Foxfi is a different app. This file is one of the stock files that has been modified. And this one does not look like it has been done completely, since it still pops up the notification that it is checking if the device is authorized to tether,

Yes it did work. Honestly I didn't test it without changing file permissions, because I already knew what they were and changed them before I rebooted.

06SilveradoZ71

Jun 29, 2014
Just throwing a couple things out there.....

1. Have you tried this without changing file permissions after the copy?

2. The file is not foxfi.... Foxfi is a different app. This file is one of the stock files that has been modified. And this one does not look like it has been done completely, since it still pops up the notification that it is checking if the device is authorized to tether,

Yes it did work. Honestly I didn't test it without changing file permissions, because I already knew what they were and changed them before I rebooted.

Did you like it works great

06SilveradoZ71

Jun 29, 2014
I had it on my PC... It should be in General or Q&A Help forums.

Search for tether in those. Not going to be able to find it until later tonight

Ill just use app called quarantine and disable tetheringprovision.apk & es file explorer to tether its fast & easy to turn off & on

Shadow Lord

Jan 1, 2010
What am I missing?

Hello All,

I just tried this and I am still unable to tether with AT&T. I have a Note II currently running 4.4.2. My OTA upgrade semi-bricked my phone (probably because I had a rooted 4.3 install). So I installed 4.4.2 using Zen's ODIN package. I then rerooted using CF-Autoroot and upgrade to SU 2.02 manually. According to Root checker I am rooted, I am also running 4.4.2 w/ the latest boot loader, modem, and kernel.

I first turned off ATT Hotspot as instructed. I then used Total Commander to rename the two existing files under System/app. I moved the APK in the OP into System/app and set permissions as before. I restarted my phone and tried FoxFi. It starts up and goes for a few seconds (which it did not on 4.3) It also seems to be transferring more data. However, once I try to connect my PC to the hotspot I get the "verifying" window and then the notice to call 611 to enable mobile hotspot.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MgarBm

Jul 30, 2014
Northwest Indiana
Almost There!

OK I finally got my FoxFi working on my Galaxy S3 with 4.4.2!

I've also uninstalled FoxFi after I got it working and the hotpsot still works!

To turn on WiFi hotspot I go to settings/connections/More Networks/Tethering and Wi-Fi hotpsots/Mobile Hotspot and turn it on. It does say FoxFi in use even though it is uninstalled?

Not sure what is going on?

Any ideas?

Last edited:

razzrmaxx

Feb 12, 2013
I have the Note 2 also but not on 4.4.2, however I also have the verizon s5 and it had the same tethering issue at 1st untill I foundout that the tethering mod from xposed worked without issue, all I did was install xposed and the tether mod and with PowerToggles I placed the Tether toogle and enable it from there like on this Picture. I'm not 100% sure if it would work on the note 2 4.4.2 its just an idea that I think someone should try. Don't forget to make a full backup in case it goes wrong.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407519251026.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407519251026.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 575

Pro 38

Nov 1, 2014
Error "app stopped"

HI, I have done all of the above but am not able to turn on the hotspot, once I turn it on it says "app stoped",
I am running a rooted AT&T I337 4.4.2 version phone international SIM,
any Ideas what I did wrong ?

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

7. After you finish replacing the files, go to your folder where you saved the attached file and copy it to system/app & change permissions to same as the other file you renamed

7. Reboot your phone.

8. Enjoy using foxfi app or any tether app

You cant use the phone settings hotspot but atleast you can tether free on 4.4.2 alot of people are still on unlimited plan so this helps alot

Download Here

Hit Thanks If I Helped