[TUT] Root Galaxy Mini 2 without PC

Search This thread

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
Hi guys, this is my first tut here, about an alternative way for rooting my S6500D...

Q : Why do I need this? There is a better and easy way already using CWM....
A : This tut will only give you root access, without a busybox, CWM, etc. If you want Root+BB+CWM, please follow an other TUTs.

Okey, Here we go...

This TUT is based on "poot" exploit created by giantpune from androidforums.com (We should thanks him/her)
He/She create this exploit for LG Optimus Elite originally, but mod it to work for several phone model.
He said that this exploit will work on android version 2.3.5 - 2.3.7. Thats why I try this on Jena :p

Giantpune from androidforums, posted original application and some modded apk to work with other phone.
To respect his work and his thread, I only attached a working apk that root my Mini 2.
And provide his thread's link, so you can download all poot apks from there, thanks him and his team, and maybe donating him.

Here is the link : http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/612914-optimus-elite-root-apk.html

Requirement :
- poot-debug.apk for h866c (Huawei ascend Y). I tried another version, but fail.
- Ministro II. You can download it from Playstore.
- Please remove your SD card.

Step by step :

1. Install Ministro II from Play Store.

2. Install poot-debug.apk for h866c. I already attached it.

3. Create Poot shortcut to Home.

4. Turn on USB Debugging in the Settings>Application>Developement

5. Open Poot, it will request to download some Ministro library. This library needed by poot to work. You will need an internet connection.

6. After all library downloaded, close Poot. Its better to reboot our phone first.

7. Let the phone boot completely. If you have much app installed, kill all running app, so nothing can interrupt this exploit.

8. Open Poot, tap "Press Here to Poot" button.

- If the phone reboot suddenly, try again this step.
- If Poot app show an error log, like error : 87 or 22, reboot your phone and try again.
- If it still fail, try to reboot your phone. When lockscreen showed up, immediately unlock it while system scanning storage. Open Poot quickly (thats why I want you to put a shortcut in home). Then tap "Press Here to Poot".

9. If Poot show log like "successfully push su file to /system/xbin...bla..bla...bla", then you have successfully rooted your phone.

10. After a successful poot, Poot will show 3 option:

- Get Superuser = it will open Play Store straightly to Superuser by ChainsDD page. Install it to manage root access.
- Get Root Checker Basic = it will open Play Store to Root Checker Basic page. If you want to check root access using this app, download it.
- Built-in Root Checker = Instead of download Root Checker Basic, you can use this built in feature.

11. After Superuser installed, dont forget to update su binary file from it.

12. Its done!!! now you have a rooted Mini 2.

Note: I have tested original poot for LG Optimus Elite, Cherry W100, and PCD Venture without success. If your phone can not be rooted with poot for h866c, I advice you to try another versions.

The advantage of this method :
- This method of rooting will not increase your custom bin, because you dont need to flash CWM.
- You dont need a PC to root Jena.

Disadvantage :
- You need to install/download Superuser by ChainsDD + BusyBox manually. This exploit only push su file (Superuser's su file by ChainDD) to /system/xbin.

Note: If you want to flash CWM, we need to wait mobile Odin compatible with our device. Therefore, if you want CWM very badly...I suggest you to flash it using PC.

Credits:
- giantpune from androidforums.com, who made the exploit.
- me, who try and test this exploit on Jena all night long :crying:

PM me, if someone should be listed on Credits

Attachments

• Poot-debug_h866c.apk
    368.7 KB · Views: 34,813
Last edited:

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
Thanks man :D

Yup, triangle away worked as you said. But I never try it yet tho. I bought a new Jena 1month ago, and I dont want to loose my warranty.
Thats why I search another way to root safely, without worries :D

Maybe this tuts dedicated for someone like me, who didnt have a PC or notebook yet. :)

MrMateczko

Mar 15, 2013
Well that's something new. Portable rooting where you're in a car without CWM? :D
In all seriousness, it's great to see great things show up for our Jena, like this and MIUI, and TWRP, and CM 10, and OC Kernels, and many other stuff.
It's you people who make this phone awesome.
I have a question, is the "su" binary the latest one?

Reactions: dei.andrei98

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
Yup, we hope Jena community will grow up like mini I :)

No, it is not. We need to update it to the latest version, after Superuser installed.

Iam still figuring out how to migrate to CWM superuser tho. Its Open Source, and looks like better security.

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
Maybe I miss spelling something...
Or you dont understand what I mean :D

I mean superuser.apk by clockworkmod, or koush's superuser.
If I want CWM, I will not root using this method ;)

Yup, thats busybox installer that I mean :)

manudroid19

Feb 23, 2013
I was only thinking in a way to install CWM for users that don't have PC. I am a admin of a Spanish blog and many people want it.
And in sOme other devices ROM MANAGER can install CWM. maybe it's possible with mobile Odin or rom manager, I guess

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
I was only thinking in a way to install CWM for users that don't have PC. I am a admin of a Spanish blog and many people want it.
And in sOme other devices ROM MANAGER can install CWM. maybe it's possible with mobile Odin or rom manager, I guess

Rom Manager can brick the mini 2, because it's not compatible with mini 2 I think.

Yup, i heard that rom manager can brick mini 2.

My best bet is mobile odin.
It is compatible with ace plus.
And mini 2 almost the same with ace plus.

manudroid19

Feb 23, 2013
Yup, i heard that rom manager can brick mini 2.

My best bet is mobile odin.
It is compatible with ace plus.
And mini 2 almost the same with ace plus.

I am dumping info now via mobile Odin app. I will put it in mobile Odin xda thread, so chainfire can develop it for our phone
Please, can other person do the same? Cause I've squadzone kernel installed

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
Ive done that too. Already dump and send it to chainfire thread.
Just wait him to make it work with our device :)

TheWhisp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 25, 2011
I read somewhere that mobile Odin works on Ace Plus which has exactly the same partition layout as Mini 2. Also, since we don't need any specific file which contains the info about our partition layout (like ops file for some devices) while flashing something, it's pretty generic therefore mobile odin should work.

Sent from my GT-S6500D using xda app-developers app

physcodelic

Apr 15, 2012
I read somewhere that mobile Odin works on Ace Plus which has exactly the same partition layout as Mini 2. Also, since we don't need any specific file which contains the info about our partition layout (like ops file for some devices) while flashing something, it's pretty generic therefore mobile odin should work.

Finally, a confirmation from a genious person :D

Maybe yes sir, it should work for our device.
But chainfire's mobile odin wont let us use it, if our device is not compatible.
Maybe, just maybe, (I dont know how it work :p) mobile odin read our build.prop and compare them to it's device compatibility database.
If those not match, it just showing black screen, and an intructions to dump a log, then close it self.

Hopes he/she make it worked for Mini2 someday :D

zalukajonet

Nov 26, 2012
Siedlce

But chainfire's mobile odin wont let us use it, if our device is not compatible.
Maybe, just maybe, (I dont know how it work :p) mobile odin read our build.prop and compare them to it's device compatibility database.
If those not match, it just showing black screen, and an intructions to dump a log, then close it self.

write private msg to chainfire mayby he do MO for Jena, but in OP chainfire i see many spam and hm 4 post from galaxy mini 2 users, this device is not popular and low range so chainfire do not even think about develop app to this phone. its my opinion...

Reactions: physcodelic

TheWhisp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 25, 2011
well, yes, this is not popular. For reference, my latest CM10 build for Mini 1 is downloaded like 20k times. When I uploaded the first CM10 build in the first day it got 5k downloads. Mini 2 barely get 1k downloads in months. ;) Mini 1 is quite popular, even after 2 years of its release. Perhaps it will change after camera is fixed.

tekkenl0rd13

Nov 27, 2012
well, yes, this is not popular. For reference, my latest CM10 build for Mini 1 is downloaded like 20k times. When I uploaded the first CM10 build in the first day it got 5k downloads. Mini 2 barely get 1k downloads in months. ;) Mini 1 is quite popular, even after 2 years of its release. Perhaps it will change after camera is fixed.

well some of the users really is concerned about the camera, so they stick with Stock Rom.

but for us user whose not using the camera (crap for taking picture) CM10 is really great.

Reactions: physcodelic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, this is my first tut here, about an alternative way for rooting my S6500D...

Q : Why do I need this? There is a better and easy way already using CWM....
    A : This tut will only give you root access, without a busybox, CWM, etc. If you want Root+BB+CWM, please follow an other TUTs.

Okey, Here we go...

This TUT is based on "poot" exploit created by giantpune from androidforums.com (We should thanks him/her)
    He/She create this exploit for LG Optimus Elite originally, but mod it to work for several phone model.
    He said that this exploit will work on android version 2.3.5 - 2.3.7. Thats why I try this on Jena :p

Giantpune from androidforums, posted original application and some modded apk to work with other phone.
    To respect his work and his thread, I only attached a working apk that root my Mini 2.
    And provide his thread's link, so you can download all poot apks from there, thanks him and his team, and maybe donating him.

Here is the link : http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/612914-optimus-elite-root-apk.html

Requirement :
    - poot-debug.apk for h866c (Huawei ascend Y). I tried another version, but fail.
    - Ministro II. You can download it from Playstore.
    - Please remove your SD card.

Step by step :

1. Install Ministro II from Play Store.

2. Install poot-debug.apk for h866c. I already attached it.

3. Create Poot shortcut to Home.

4. Turn on USB Debugging in the Settings>Application>Developement

5. Open Poot, it will request to download some Ministro library. This library needed by poot to work. You will need an internet connection.

6. After all library downloaded, close Poot. Its better to reboot our phone first.

7. Let the phone boot completely. If you have much app installed, kill all running app, so nothing can interrupt this exploit.

8. Open Poot, tap "Press Here to Poot" button.

- If the phone reboot suddenly, try again this step.
    - If Poot app show an error log, like error : 87 or 22, reboot your phone and try again.
    - If it still fail, try to reboot your phone. When lockscreen showed up, immediately unlock it while system scanning storage. Open Poot quickly (thats why I want you to put a shortcut in home). Then tap "Press Here to Poot".

9. If Poot show log like "successfully push su file to /system/xbin...bla..bla...bla", then you have successfully rooted your phone.

10. After a successful poot, Poot will show 3 option:

- Get Superuser = it will open Play Store straightly to Superuser by ChainsDD page. Install it to manage root access.
    - Get Root Checker Basic = it will open Play Store to Root Checker Basic page. If you want to check root access using this app, download it.
    - Built-in Root Checker = Instead of download Root Checker Basic, you can use this built in feature.

11. After Superuser installed, dont forget to update su binary file from it.

12. Its done!!! now you have a rooted Mini 2.

Note: I have tested original poot for LG Optimus Elite, Cherry W100, and PCD Venture without success. If your phone can not be rooted with poot for h866c, I advice you to try another versions.

The advantage of this method :
    - This method of rooting will not increase your custom bin, because you dont need to flash CWM.
    - You dont need a PC to root Jena.

Disadvantage :
    - You need to install/download Superuser by ChainsDD + BusyBox manually. This exploit only push su file (Superuser's su file by ChainDD) to /system/xbin.

Note: If you want to flash CWM, we need to wait mobile Odin compatible with our device. Therefore, if you want CWM very badly...I suggest you to flash it using PC.

Credits:
    - giantpune from androidforums.com, who made the exploit.
    - me, who try and test this exploit on Jena all night long :crying:

PM me, if someone should be listed on Credits

Well that's something new. Portable rooting where you're in a car without CWM? :D
    In all seriousness, it's great to see great things show up for our Jena, like this and MIUI, and TWRP, and CM 10, and OC Kernels, and many other stuff.
    It's you people who make this phone awesome.
    I have a question, is the "su" binary the latest one?

write private msg to chainfire mayby he do MO for Jena, but in OP chainfire i see many spam and hm 4 post from galaxy mini 2 users, this device is not popular and low range so chainfire do not even think about develop app to this phone. its my opinion...