[Q] CAF Patch and ART

Search This thread

mai8ko

Aug 28, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
Google Pixel 4a
I'm new to xda, so I couldn't ask in the dev forums... I been using Carbon rom, but they recently updated to a CM base for the rom, so w/o the CAF patch it doesn't support AOSP kernels nor ART cache. I tried their latest nightly w/ ART, it wasn't pretty; however, I did not try the caf patch, then aosp kernel, then art. In theory, should that combination get ART to work on a CM based rom? Or am I barking up the wrong tree on this one? I know it's a very specific question, but I been kinda bummed b/c I can't update the rom since I refuse to go back to dalvik, and CM don't support ART. Ever since they updated the rom (since 8/28.. they're on build 8/31 now), I been sticking with the 8/24 build! (their last AOSP based build) Any leads would be a big help. Thank you!

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
ART should work on a cm ROM. When they say they don't support it, they mean its a Google experimental feature so they cannot help you if you have problems with ART.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mai8ko

Aug 28, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
Google Pixel 4a
I tried it and it did not work well. Like I said many FC's, apps didn't work, and system shutdowns. Maybe it wasn't the fact that it was CM, but more so that they just switched to CM, and so the build is unstable still? But on the Dev forum for that rom, a lot of people are saying that the newest build works great with CAF patch and an AOSP kernel. That may be so, but it also may be so that they're using dalvik not ART. What I'm trying to clear up is, will that same patch make the rom play friendly with art also?

Ofthecats

Jun 18, 2013
I tried it and it did not work well. Like I said many FC's, apps didn't work, and system shutdowns. Maybe it wasn't the fact that it was CM, but more so that they just switched to CM, and so the build is unstable still? But on the Dev forum for that rom, a lot of people are saying that the newest build works great with CAF patch and an AOSP kernel. That may be so, but it also may be so that they're using dalvik not ART. What I'm trying to clear up is, will that same patch make the rom play friendly with art also?

you're trying to use an AOSP kernel?

what is the order that you are trying to switch to art?

maybe that's the culprit

mai8ko

Aug 28, 2014
GB
meettomy.site
Google Pixel 4a
you're trying to use an AOSP kernel?

what is the order that you are trying to switch to art?

maybe that's the culprit

Well the CAF thread suggests this order: Clean flash of cm rom, flash the caf patch, then flash the desired aosp kernel. As far as art goes, aosp roms boot right up w/o problems in art. I don't know if that's because those roms are built on aosp from the ground up, or if it's because of the aosp kernel. I'm wondering if the cm rom that allows aosp kernels with the patch will also allow art to run smoothly. Again, I tried the new nightly (CM based) w/o the patch/ aosp kernel on art and it was buggy as all hell. Others are saying that the build is working well w/ caf patch and aosp kernel... but that still leaves the question: is that on dalvik only? If I turn on art with those three combined will art be good to go? :confused: I'm trying to see if anyone knows if it's purely a kernel thing that makes it compatible with art, before investing a ton of time with a clean flash, reinstalling all apps, and trying them one by one only to be disappointed by bugs and having to stick with the 8/24 build anyway. (that was their last aosp build for that rom)

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
ART works fine, either stock, aosp, or cm based. running aosp kernels on cm or cm kernels on aosp is a no no. you are asking for a long list of issues. and running the patch on an aosp kernel with cm does not guarantee that there wont be issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ART works fine, either stock, aosp, or cm based. running aosp kernels on cm or cm kernels on aosp is a no no. you are asking for a long list of issues. and running the patch on an aosp kernel with cm does not guarantee that there wont be issues.