[Q] Evo 3D OTG (On-The-Go) USB Hosting.

Search This thread

Creaator

Jun 17, 2010
I have a serious question. Can the Evo 3d usb host. Im currently waiting to receive my OTG cable and will soon test this. I know the new SG II supports it, but I cant find any info on if the evo 3d will. Would love to connect a flash drive or mouse to my phone.

YoMaMa7467

Oct 30, 2010
Killa Kali
There's a rom in the Dev section think it does USB host. Will post back with name

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Its called HTC evo 3dxe

Creaator

Jun 17, 2010
Let us know. Although, I think it has much to do with the device. Something to do with a chip in the phone which also supplies power to the usb you plug in.

Creaator

Jun 17, 2010
Just got the cable and it s official, the OtG cable does not work for the evo 3D. So dissappointed. Piece of s*%#. My quest is over and it was short lived. My dreams shot down. Unless this is a feature that can somehow be unlocked.

Creaator

Jun 17, 2010
Incredible. I thought this would be a hot topic. Seems like I'm the only one interested in this. Or maybe I'm in the wrong section.

netwokz

Jul 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've been wondering about this since the og evo days, I hope someone can shed some light on it. AFAIK its a kernel issue. But I could be wrong.

Sent from another Dimension!

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Just got the cable and it s official, the OtG cable does not work for the evo 3D. So dissappointed. Piece of s*%#. My quest is over and it was short lived. My dreams shot down. Unless this is a feature that can somehow be unlocked.

Don't give up so fast, theAndroidOSX "TRINITY 2.5 Rom" & Chad's "Anthrax kernel" together enable the OTG usb host feature. Chad has confirmed it's working !!

kittykat858

Mar 26, 2011
my latest A-series kernels support this 100% -- confirmed by atleast 20 people
B-series was a work in progress (worked for some, but not others)

working on it now for RLS2 of my new GPL compliant kernel

kittykat858

Mar 26, 2011
I'm wondering if the USB device would need to be self powered or if the Evo 3D would provide power through the port.

device should have external power supply .. power over the 3D's USB port dont work as good as it should.
(im actually using a USB keyboard on my 3D to type this message)

Jan 9, 2012
This is a feature that I am really excited about and would like to get working. Does anyone know of any videos of someone using the USB Host mode on an EVO 3D?

P0ll0L0c0

Jun 6, 2008
Is there a ROM that already has the proper kernel baked in that you guys can recommend?

For those that have USB host working - does it allow you to connect an NTFS formatted drive for files above 4GB?

USB Host and a home screen with landscape mode are two things I'd really want - though I assume the second feature is limited to the non-Sense roms.

KB112

Jan 13, 2010
East SF-Bay Area
Is there a ROM that already has the proper kernel baked in that you guys can recommend?

For those that have USB host working - does it allow you to connect an NTFS formatted drive for files above 4GB?

USB Host and a home screen with landscape mode are two things I'd really want - though I assume the second feature is limited to the non-Sense roms.

I think you need to use one of Chad Goodman's kernels. Last I knew of, it was hit or miss. He is still working on the development of this, in his newer releases. But I think the trinity ROM by androidosx had this working for some.

The only landscape sense Rom I know of right now, is The Express port that's in beta. Platypus is the Dev working on it. It's a nice port, but the bugs are still being worked out of course. If you use an alternative launcher, you can have landscape anytime you want.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Last edited:

iconias

Oct 25, 2011
would a powered usb hub work? so we could use a mouse, keyboard and maybe an HDD at the same time?

Would the EVO3D draw power from the hub?

|=>AmuzZ<=|

Jun 24, 2011
Moshi
hey guys i really wanna use the USB HOST on my EVO 3D
currently using LeeDroid 3D V5.3.0 with AnthraX-Shooteru Kernel but cant use the OTG USB
can some1 suggest wat i can use to make it work
m a EVO 3D GSM user

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this what the kernel guru Chad Goodman is talking about here?

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20490074&postcount=1404

so far, of the 3 roms tested, this is the only one to make use of the host-mode feature in my kenrel, external storage :)

im loving it
    Yep, if you have an 002 phone (like me), you are out of luck for getting this to work. Otherwise you need the right ROM and kernel. The only match I know that worked were the Olympus ROMs with Anthrax kernel.

My test 6 kernel may work with hw002, but would still require titan roms

Sent from my PG8610000 using xda premium
    Just wanted to say thank you for continuing to look into this. Even if it's never possible - your effort is appreciated.

i had 2 people w/ hw002 phones tell me it worked.. so i have hope
    ...one of them being the actual developer of titan hd
    Hi... Today I've tried to do USB otg cable by myself and I've done it!

Unfortunately while I was pulling cable out of EVO's port I've destroyed connector (now I have to order new one and try again :)).

I have leedroid ROM and kernel.

Evo can't power devices, it must be done by external power supply. Keyboard and mouse are working (but mouse is behaving like trackball, when you move it left/right homescreens are switching). Keyboard works completely normal.

I also tried USB flash memory, but had no success :( (in phone&SD memory I have 3 memory's: phone, SD and USB (but it's unavailable))

My EVO 3D is hw001
    mouse and keyboard connection is also working via bluetooth, only hdd connection could probably be a problem... :D