GPS Signal Strength horrible after Nougat Update

Search This thread

ithink2020

Apr 22, 2011
Wife and I recently applied the Nougat update that was pushed out. However, now both our phones have GPS issues. We use apps that require a GPS connection. Up until now, those apps worked from our home and our workplace. However, since the update, the apps keep giving us GPS errors.

I notice that Google Maps also can's show me where I'm actually at. Sometimes it works, but only for a few minutes. I downloaded GPS Status and Toolbox and it can't get a lock from my desk.

Is there any fixes out there that address the GPS signal strength, post Android 7.0?

Thank you!

Reactions: Sagula

DankNuts

Oct 25, 2015
Having no GPS problems on my Sprint S7
Under the Location settings I have "Locating Method" set to "High accuracy" and both "Wi-Fi scanning" and "Bluetooth scanning" disabled under "Improve accuracy"

Have you tried factory reset?
That seems to fix some of the various issues that people are having through the Nougat update.

ithink2020

Apr 22, 2011
I'll try turning those off and see how it goes.

No, didn't want to do a factory reset, if I didn't have to... Such a pain in the arse.

Thank you!

erwinfj

Jan 16, 2013
Any luck with this? The factory reset didn't work for me on my Sprint S7, I still have GPS issues and now I've lost app data to Runtastic and ToMarket :( GPS settings are the same as DankNuts.

Since the nougat update, It happens every time I use Runtastic (every other day). When it happens, I notice that Maps is also showing the wrong location (anywhere from where I'm at to a mile away). I've tried the app GPS Test (clearing and updating AGPS) and numerous phone restarts. At first those seemed to work. Now I try clearing the cache of apps that use GPS and that has worked long enough for my 90 minute run.

One thing that I just realized now, is that when I start Waze or navigation I don't seem to have the problem. I may need to test with a combination of those and Runtastic.

Sagula

Apr 28, 2017
satellite problem

I installed gps statua software and it says 0/0 satellites. Gps essentials software says location provider cell.

For me it seems that the gps module would not somehow "turn on"

Edit: if i change in samsumg setting 'location method' to 'device only' gps essentials says location provider "unknown"

Last edited:

Jonny993

I installed gps statua software and it says 0/0 satellites. Gps essentials software says location provider cell.

For me it seems that the gps module would not somehow "turn on"

Edit: if i change in samsumg setting 'location method' to 'device only' gps essentials says location provider "unknown"

did you solve it? I think tomorrow I'll go to samsung assistance..

ptr1968

May 25, 2016
vorden
better gps solution

Goto settings; location; then top-right scanning, switch off wifi scanning and also bluetooth

Because there is a conflict with wifi and gps.

Help with several devices.

peter

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wife and I recently applied the Nougat update that was pushed out. However, now both our phones have GPS issues. We use apps that require a GPS connection. Up until now, those apps worked from our home and our workplace. However, since the update, the apps keep giving us GPS errors.

I notice that Google Maps also can's show me where I'm actually at. Sometimes it works, but only for a few minutes. I downloaded GPS Status and Toolbox and it can't get a lock from my desk.

Is there any fixes out there that address the GPS signal strength, post Android 7.0?

Thank you!
    Having no GPS problems on my Sprint S7
    Under the Location settings I have "Locating Method" set to "High accuracy" and both "Wi-Fi scanning" and "Bluetooth scanning" disabled under "Improve accuracy"

Have you tried factory reset?
    That seems to fix some of the various issues that people are having through the Nougat update.
    I'll try turning those off and see how it goes.

No, didn't want to do a factory reset, if I didn't have to... Such a pain in the arse.

Thank you!
    Any luck with this? The factory reset didn't work for me on my Sprint S7, I still have GPS issues and now I've lost app data to Runtastic and ToMarket :( GPS settings are the same as DankNuts.

Since the nougat update, It happens every time I use Runtastic (every other day). When it happens, I notice that Maps is also showing the wrong location (anywhere from where I'm at to a mile away). I've tried the app GPS Test (clearing and updating AGPS) and numerous phone restarts. At first those seemed to work. Now I try clearing the cache of apps that use GPS and that has worked long enough for my 90 minute run.

One thing that I just realized now, is that when I start Waze or navigation I don't seem to have the problem. I may need to test with a combination of those and Runtastic.