General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

LooieENG

Oct 2, 2009
England
Hi everyone. Just wondering if the Pixel 3A will feel like a good upgrade (worth the £300) coming from an A2 Lite.

I have the A2 Lite right now. The specs are pretty good for the price, however it does feel slow from time to time in general use. Also it seems like the A3 is a downgrade with just a 720p screen, so I was thinking about getting a Pixel 3A.

The screen is similar size and resolution to the Pixel 3A but IPS not AMOLED, and it seems like the 3A suffers from the screen changing to purple/pink over time?

So other than the camera and better CPU/GPU/RAM are there any other improvements? I'm sure it will be an improvement, but Is it worth the money?

phaleg

Jul 20, 2012
Velletri, RM
bit.ly
Guys, what do you think about Iphone 8?

I used Iphone 8+ and it is probably the best iphone for your penny worth... Camera is crazy good and it is waterproof, tested in the Italian (salty) sea

You may consider to save money with a Pocophone that also rocks when running gcamera and Lineage OS, besides, for the price that you can get an Iphone 8 or 8+, you can get a new Pixel 3a for example or a used 3XL :highfive:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Hi to all, any suggestion to small phone, max 135-140 mm height, approximately 5", Android based, min. 3 GB RAM? Thanks alot for possible feedback.

Since nowadays most phones are beyond 6 inches, I could recommend Samsung S6 or S7

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Needs:
Rootable
Vanilla Android
Sprint
Replaceable Battery
SD Card

1-2 options. Not looking for expensive, but I do not really care about specs because I do not use android as a computer, just a phone. The area I am in has no 5g...

Anyone know if I can take advantage of the $25 kick start plan, and hotspot (hack) that thing to use sprint data for anything?

You could go for Samsung S8. It has a plethora of custom roms. Replaceable battery in 2019? Surely a myth.

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
Headphone Jack
MUST HAVE Micro SD slot OR it will have to have 512gb or 1Tb models available (probably more than $600??)
6-8gb RAM
OLED
Decent battery
Android 9
A decent radio and reception (why i didn't get the Samsung A50/A70) *ATT*

In the $300-$500 range would be nice.

EDIT: i often work out side of cell and internet reception and my music collection alone is 220+ GB

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Headphone Jack
MUST HAVE Micro SD slot OR it will have to have 512gb or 1Tb models available (probably more than $600??)
6-8gb RAM
OLED
Decent battery
Android 9
A decent radio and reception (why i didn't get the Samsung A50/A70) *ATT*

In the $300-$500 range would be nice.

Mate, 512 GB on mobile seems a waste of money. I only got 64 and just on one occasion were they fully used, in 3 years.

You could go with the OnePlus 7 Pro, the 12 GB of ram version. It has 256 GB of storage

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Can anyone suggest a smartphone that can be used both in USA and Canada? Huawei brand preferred.

Well, the OnePlus 7 pro works nicely in both USA and Canada (https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/oneplus-7-pro)

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
Mate, 512 GB on mobile seems a waste of money. I only got 64 and just on one occasion were they fully used, in 3 years.

You could go with the OnePlus 7 Pro, the 12 GB of ram version. It has 256 GB of storage

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Well, the OnePlus 7 pro works nicely in both USA and Canada (https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/oneplus-7-pro)

I looked at one plus no SD card slot. I often work outside of cell and internet/wifi reception and my MP3 collection is 220+ GB alone.

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
well the S9+ does tick all the boxes and it's not $800 and it's only a year old

Indeed. Word of advice, most of the time go with flagships. There's a higher chance to have reliable custom roms (Operating System) than other versions, like A60 and so.

For example, my 2015 Samsung S6 runs a Android 9 custom rom. There's a high chance I could run Android Q as well.

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
Indeed. Word of advice, most of the time go with flagships. There's a higher chance to have reliable custom roms (Operating System) than other versions, like A60 and so.

For example, my 2015 Samsung S6 runs a Android 9 custom rom. There's a high chance I could run Android Q as well.

i considered my oneplus x a mid range but, OP is known for allowing unlocked boot loaders it's shame they are anti SD card and headphone jack and only sell 128gb phones. the S9+ fits the bill it's no more than 1 year old and definitely under $800

JohnnyMurph

Sep 1, 2019
Needs:
Rootable (and can use xposed/magisk)
Two sim card slots
SD card slot if possible (it can't replace one of the sim card slots)
If no SD card slot then at least 64gb of space
Decent battery
About $500/600 (Canadian)
Most importantly a very good camera

The only reservation that I would have in buying any phone is a Huawei phone (due to the ban) as I ma unsure if it would effect anything in the future.

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Needs:
Rootable (and can use xposed/magisk)
Two sim card slots
SD card slot if possible (it can't replace one of the sim card slots)
If no SD card slot then at least 64gb of space
Decent battery
About $500/600 (Canadian)
Most importantly a very good camera

The only reservation that I would have in buying any phone is a Huawei phone (due to the ban) as I ma unsure if it would effect anything in the future.

Samsung S9 Plus

cdoublejj

Jun 17, 2008
oh man the S9+ is HUGE!! it's 6.2 inches i can barley operate my 5" OnePlus X with one hand even with a pop socket. :( what a load of horse crap i hope the phone industry dies in a fire.

EDIT: the S9+ 128gb ca not be found in new condition unless it's $800 USD. (can get an a new S10 for $800) which means you won't get very much use out of a used one. i swear, sweat or body oils get in cell phones or something and make them fail pre maturely.

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
oh man the S9+ is HUGE!! it's 6.2 inches i can barley operate my 5" OnePlus X with one hand even with a pop socket. :( what a load of horse crap i hope the phone industry dies in a fire.

EDIT: the S9+ 128gb ca not be found in new condition unless it's $800 USD. (can get an a new S10 for $800) which means you won't get very much use out of a used one. i swear, sweat or body oils get in cell phones or something and make them fail pre maturely.

I feel you man, had a hard time to upgrade from 4.7 to a 5.1 inch screen. And nowadays everything is 6+ inches. People love to have some giant phones. The problem is that there are slim chances to find a phone with 6+ gigs of ram below 6 inches. They are a dying breed

Sep 3, 2019
I was hoping to get a low end phone that could run LineageOS, GrapheneOS, or some other secure/privacy OS other than Google's Android OS. Be nice if it was rootable and prepaid.

Lowend under 100 preferable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)