[GUIDE] How to change HW Keyboard Layout

Search This thread
B

b1oh4zard

I wrote this Guide, cause I experienced that Keychars on my Hardware Keyboard of my Desire Z changed in some CustomRoms (for example in CM7) and I couldn´t write chars like ä,ö,ü.

Attention: *** = Your language (short) like:
ger=germany
ara=arabic
and so on ....

1) Pick up your keychar:
What you have to do is to pick up your favourite keyboard Layout of your language from a Rom you want, located under:
"/system/usr/keychars/" named "vision-keypad-***-kcm.bin"

2) Push it to your Device in Recovery with adb shell to your device :

adb push /PathOfYourFile/vision-keypad-***-kcm.bin /system/usr/keychars/

3) then type in ADB Shell:

chmod 644 /system/usr/keychars/vision-keypad-***-kcm.bin

Now Reboot and let me know if it worked for you :)

b1oh4zard

Last edited:

jervill

Oct 8, 2010
Didn't work

I have a T-Mobile G2 running on Virtuous 1.0. I tried to copy the "vision-keypad-wwe-kcm.bin" from the original G2 system in order to get back the www/.com and SYM keys. No luck for me.

Please reply if anyone has been able to successfully get the www/.com and SYM keys into Virtuous!:eek:

zeroONEex

Nov 23, 2009
I use the app buttonremapp. Nice easy way to change the layout with that.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

pierreburel

Jun 3, 2010
Hi,

do you think there is a way to bind the SYM key to a popup symbols like on stock Sense ROM ? Or maybe using the onscreen "prediction line" ?

I'm on an AZERTY Desire Z running CM7 RC1

Proxin

Feb 6, 2009
Pallet Town
I use the app buttonremapp. Nice easy way to change the layout with that.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Is that the one on the Market that costs about $1?
I think they specifically say that the G2 is not supported. Does it work?
I want to get something to work, to remap the three "shortcut" keys on the keyboard (the ones that say "...") to be something like [, ], or <
Will it let me do this?

Drey.Tee

Jan 3, 2011
qwerty english layout goes wrong in customROM (special for x10 mp)with Android 2.3.7

Hi. My local layour (russian) works flawlessly, but english layout changed symbol placement.
Maybe you can advice to me where can I get english layout for qwerty hardware keyboard for sonyericsson x10 mini pro? :rolleyes:

p.s.: I'm on customROM (special for x10 mp) with Android 2.3.7

patoberli

Dec 1, 2010
Hi all
On my phone (after rooting) this guide didn't work. The file was already there, but not used. I found out much later that my phone had after rooting the wrong system setting for my keyboard.
To find out the actual one, install http://www.appbrain.com/app/setprop-free/com.jiaofamily.android.setprop and check hw.keyboards.0.devname. The one listet there is the used one. In my case it was vision-keypad-wwe, but I have a german phone. So I changed it to vision-keypad-ger, also for hw.keyboards.131073.devname (no idea if the second is also needed) and rebooted. Sadly it was reset to wwe after reboot.
So I simply renamed the -ger file to -wwe and pushed that one on the one (and replaced the old one). But it's still not working, any other ideas?