[APP] [GB][ICS][JB] High Resolution Google Contacts Photos (in stock contacts app)

• Thread starter Deleted member 267841
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 267841

Native Google contacts app uses a strangely lower resolution (96x96px).

This was normal in the firsts Android versions.

The new phones includes a large amount of memory and a large screens, and also, the new Android version (Ice Cream Sandwitch) predisposes to a better user experience.

But, by default, the contact photos stored in Android 4.0 uses the older resolution (96x96px), and the photo contacts appears pixelated.

With this app you can make a bulk update of your contact photos to a increased resolution (256x256px) that's shows much better in your new devices.

Also, in older devices, that aren't running ICS, the app allows to make a bulk photo contacts update and increase the resolution to the device max supported size.

Finally, if you have rooted your device, you can increase the size of the contact photos to 400x400px (or more). That sounds good in devices with a large screen, like Galaxy Note.

Instructions

1) Place the desired contact photos (in PNG or JPG format) in a folder of your sdcard. I recommend to use square photos.
2) Open the app
3) Click settings and configure the sources folder to the stored photos folder
4) Go main window in the app
5) Select the photos that you want to update
6) Click the update photos button (the photos was automatically resized to the max resolution supported by the device).

* If you want to use photos greater than the maximum supported device size, you need to be rooted. If you're rooted, go
settings, check the "Use HD photos" checkbox then apply the desired photos.

Please, if you have troubles or issues, contact with the developers via email or at the XDA thread.

Requirements

For real HD photos you need to be rooted and, in stock ROMs, you need to install busybox (available in Play Store).

To collaborate in the translations

http://www.getlocalization.com/hd_contact_photos

Attachments

• qr.png
    qr.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 131,281
  • Screenshot_2012-04-26-16-27-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-26-16-27-31.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 20,961
  • Screenshot_2012-04-26-16-27-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-26-16-27-47.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 22,459
  • Screenshot_2012-05-02-16-50-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-02-16-50-01.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 21,660
  • Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-34-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-34-28.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 19,112
  • Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-34-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-34-35.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 18,630
  • Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-34-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-34-58.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 20,494
  • Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-35-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-18-11-35-12.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 18,194
  • icon.png
    icon.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 17,815
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 267841

CHANGELOG

First beta release

-Solved issue that's no applying photo if contact don't haves previous photo
-Working for Froyo and Gingerbread (probably does not make much sense, then do not display photos in HD, but at least it used to very quickly assign photos)
-Provably solves the issue with joined contacts (please confirm)

- Added customization to ignore case in photo name and contact name
- Added case to match partially photo name in contact name (sorry, only for donors)

- Fixed crash when you apply photos and previously have set the max images height
- Automatically ignore accents
- Working with joined contacts and also for exchange contacts

- Internal improvements
- Fixed reported issues
- Removed setting for image height. Contacts scales the image to a maximum of 256x256. I rescale to these values now

- Removed grayed effect for the photos contacts that are no matching for none contact (it's causing troubles in some devices)
- Added preview effect (click in the contact name)
- Added context menu (to apply only one photo or for show the preview)

1.0-RC1

- Fully UI redesign
- Internal improvements
- Facebook export don't works (don't implemented yet)

1.0-RC2

- Added support for JPG images
- Re-added support for Menu key
- Added more setting options
- English strings corrected
- Sorted folders in file explorer
- Added exit confirmation

- UI improvements
- Memory improvements
- More configuration settings
- Added facebook profile photos downloader

- First market release
- Facebook exporter improvements
- UI improvements
- Spanish translation

- UI improvements in the second view (for photos that matches more than one contact)
- Spanish strings corrected

- UI improvements in the list
- Internal changes to reduce memory requirements

- Algorithm that updates the photo modified, for improve compatibility (is working fine with ICS and GB based devices)

- Facebook sync is working fine now (thank's to @Bobanovicz for test)
- Added setting to allow photos cache or not (by default is disabled to reduce resources comsumption)

- Added functions to delete/rename photos to the context menus
- Added setting to overwrite or not the existing files when download or export stock photo contacts

- Corrected strings
- Facebook export includes owner photo
- Shows a dialog at startup with the maximum supported width and height (depends from the OS) [I'm interested in known if any Android version is showing a value upper to 256]

- Changed load bitmap algorithm (solves FCs when load very large bitmaps)

2.0-B1

- Download followers/followings photos from Twitter

2.0-RC1

- Optimized code
- Export operations (stock contacts, facebook and twitter) are cancelable now

2.0-RC2

- Included multiple photos deletion
- Included replaceable characters (for comparaison) [eg. if you configure "ü" is replaceable by "ue", the photo "Arthur Müller" can match with the contact "Arthur Mueller" and vice versa]

- Added large click into photo name to show the contextual menu (same of click the triangle at the right of the list item)
- Added fast scroll and indexer
- Added russian translation (thank's to Vitalyi600)

- Solved FC on rename file

- Solved FC when set empty replacements table
- Added traditional chinnesse translation (thank's to Chris Yu)

- Added german translation (thank's to [user_99])

- Removed submenu for (downloads -> twitter). Double submenu isn't compatible with all devices

- Added Czech translation (thank's to Bobanovicz)

- Added ability to use resolutions greater than 256x256 pixels (to use it, go settings and enable it [you need a rooted device])
- Added search button in title bar
- Added refresh button in title bar
- Added download button in title bar
- Removed menu button in title bar
- Improved list speed and stability
- Added Slovakian translation (thank's to pRo_lama)

- Don't automatically check "Upload HD photos" setting
- Updated german translation

- Facebook exported photos in original size

- Auto remove facebook credentials if coming from a previous version (3.1.x requires more Facebook permissions)
- Remove numbers from the end of photo name (for compatibility)

- Solved issue with Facebook (now actual profile photo is downloaded)

- Facebook exporter optimization
- Support export for users with many friends

- Ability to add your own images (select from camera/gallery)
- Buttons bar (AKA blue bar) can be showed at top screen, bottom screen or hide [in this case all options are showed in menu] (go settings)
- Facebook export improvements
- Added notification icon for export operations (stock/facebook/twitter)
- Added french translation (thank's to tomcruisader)
- Back button when a photo is selected don't finish app, only unselects all
- Search key actives the photos search utility
- Added italian translation (thank's to be_on_edge)

- Corrected strings

- If the device isn't supported by the app you can see a dialog at first start
- For Gingerbread devices the real HD method (photos bigger than 256x256 px) isn't supported at this moment

- Added catalan translation

5.0.0 (not released in markt, only available in XDA thread)

- Added ability to manually link protos with contacts (without name match)
- Added ability to create backups (and restore) from the settings and manually linked contacts
- Facebook and Twitter own photo is also exported
- Other small changes
- Added Georgian translation (thank's to giorgi_alonso)

- Updated translations

- Corrected FC when display contacts list (in manually assignment) and a contact has no defined name
- When download from Facebook, if two friends have the same name, the two photos are correctly downloaded

- Capable to select the Facebook/Twitter photos will be download
- Auto repositionate in main list when refresh
- UI improvements
- Translation updates

- In selections lists (download [Facebook/Twitter/Stock] and manually link, if you click in the contact icon left to the contact name, it will be show the contact photo

- Solved issue when loading large contacts list (in manually assignment activity)

- Solved bug releated to manually set contacts that are unset when restart app

- (Possible) workaround for Gingerbread devices
- Strings corrected

- FC when upgrading preferences from older versions
- FC when listing a contact that has no name

8.0.1 [EXPERIMENTAL]

- Reboot is no longer required when apply HD photos [experimental]
- Added a message when select HD photos in preferences and you don't have busybox installed
- Internal improvements in the root photos assignment
- Translations updated

- Reboot is no longer required when apply HD photos [experimental] [has an option in settings]
- Enhance partial matches function to match correctly "John Doe" with "John B. Doe" (select partial matches option)
- When apply more than one photo in HD, root is only requested for the first photo (i use the same root session to all photos apply)
- Solved issue when applying photos and the pathname contains accentures or special chars

- Updated language translations

- Solved issue with app-data in root mode

- Solved issue (introduced in 8.1.2) that prevents to set app photos source folder. I'm sorry!

- Removed root options from preferences in Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). No longer required because JB support pictures in 720x720px
- Only 1 photo is applied at the same time in free version (i'm sorry for that, but i need your small donations)

- Solves issues applying photos in contacts that (abnormally) has more than one photo

- Support for "JPEG" file extensions for "JPG" image files

- Works with CM10

- Added ads in free version

- Solved exception in preferences in JB

Differences between donate and free versions

Donate and free versions are contained in the same apk.
The only differences are related to the nexts functions,
that are only available for donors.

- Download facebook friends profiles photos
- Download twitter followers/followings photos
- Download stock contact photos
- Apply more than 5 photos at the same time
- Apply real HD photos (photos greater than 256x256 pixels) [root required]
- Ability to create backups (and restore) from the settings and manually linked contacts

Donate app uses google license service in order to get info about whether application has been purchased

Last edited by a moderator:

mccune

Nov 21, 2005
www.mccune.nl
Weird Google hasn't come with an update on this low res problem. It's been known for years. Now even with HD screen resolutions Google doesn't fix this :-(

I use a similar solution to yours. I use the internal Phone book in my Galaxy S2 to create duplicate contacts with only a single high res image. After this I merge the contacts using settings with my GMail contacts, setting the high res picture as default profile.

This causes two problems though. One, it doesn't change anything on my Google contacts so it only works on my phone. Second, you have to apply this trick every time you get a new phone.

Would be nice if your application could do something similar but with some sort of simple import/export function. But I'm afraid that's not that simple, right?

dialmformostyn

Jul 5, 2011
I love the idea, but get "At least one of the selected photos can't be applied" when trying to apply. Image is 300px in height, named the same as the contact and in .png format.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

D

Deleted member 267841

Weird Google hasn't come with an update on this low res problem. It's been known for years. Now even with HD screen resolutions Google doesn't fix this :-(

I use a similar solution to yours. I use the internal Phone book in my Galaxy S2 to create duplicate contacts with only a single high res image. After this I merge the contacts using settings with my GMail contacts, setting the high res picture as default profile.

This causes two problems though. One, it doesn't change anything on my Google contacts so it only works on my phone. Second, you have to apply this trick every time you get a new phone.

Would be nice if your application could do something similar but with some sort of simple import/export function. But I'm afraid that's not that simple, right?

your're right.
the operation only works in the phone.
the contact photo in google servers are unchanged,
but the (phone) photo was no changed when you sync, only if you wipe the data in the device.

D

Deleted member 267841

I love the idea, but get "At least one of the selected photos can't be applied" when trying to apply. Image is 300px in height, named the same as the contact and in .png format.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

you have a log file in /sdcard/
open and find a contact with error code different from zero.
if the error is due to a contact picture had not previously assigned, the error will be corrected in the next version.
also, appreciate a logcat :)

dialmformostyn

Jul 5, 2011
You are quite correct, it was a contact that had been joined - tried it on an un-joined contact and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for a good app and great help.

aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011
Which is the default directory for photos ?

I get no data found when i open the app.

Thanks

vasili_defy

Feb 10, 2011
Hey mate, still not getting data for ICS,after assigning folder

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

remiotte

Nov 28, 2009
Love the idea.
But the app FC's every time i try to apply pictures...

i'm on SG Note, rom Stunner 1.4.26.1 (android 4.0.4), pictures stored as png's, appropriate folder setup in settings. does that irrespective of whether i apply a batch or single contact.

D

Deleted member 267841

Love the idea.
But the app FC's every time i try to apply pictures...

i'm on SG Note, rom Stunner 1.4.26.1 (android 4.0.4), pictures stored as png's, appropriate folder setup in settings. does that irrespective of whether i apply a batch or single contact.

PLEASE
start the app, select desired pictures and apply
then send me a logcat (ryo.software _AT_ gmail.com)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    Native Google contacts app uses a strangely lower resolution (96x96px).

This was normal in the firsts Android versions.

The new phones includes a large amount of memory and a large screens, and also, the new Android version (Ice Cream Sandwitch) predisposes to a better user experience.

But, by default, the contact photos stored in Android 4.0 uses the older resolution (96x96px), and the photo contacts appears pixelated.

With this app you can make a bulk update of your contact photos to a increased resolution (256x256px) that's shows much better in your new devices.

Also, in older devices, that aren't running ICS, the app allows to make a bulk photo contacts update and increase the resolution to the device max supported size.

Finally, if you have rooted your device, you can increase the size of the contact photos to 400x400px (or more). That sounds good in devices with a large screen, like Galaxy Note.

Instructions

1) Place the desired contact photos (in PNG or JPG format) in a folder of your sdcard. I recommend to use square photos.
    2) Open the app
    3) Click settings and configure the sources folder to the stored photos folder
    4) Go main window in the app
    5) Select the photos that you want to update
    6) Click the update photos button (the photos was automatically resized to the max resolution supported by the device).

* If you want to use photos greater than the maximum supported device size, you need to be rooted. If you're rooted, go
    settings, check the "Use HD photos" checkbox then apply the desired photos.

Please, if you have troubles or issues, contact with the developers via email or at the XDA thread.

Requirements

For real HD photos you need to be rooted and, in stock ROMs, you need to install busybox (available in Play Store).

To collaborate in the translations

http://www.getlocalization.com/hd_contact_photos

D
    Deleted member 267841
    CHANGELOG

First beta release

-Solved issue that's no applying photo if contact don't haves previous photo
    -Working for Froyo and Gingerbread (probably does not make much sense, then do not display photos in HD, but at least it used to very quickly assign photos)
    -Provably solves the issue with joined contacts (please confirm)

- Added customization to ignore case in photo name and contact name
    - Added case to match partially photo name in contact name (sorry, only for donors)

- Fixed crash when you apply photos and previously have set the max images height
    - Automatically ignore accents
    - Working with joined contacts and also for exchange contacts

- Internal improvements
    - Fixed reported issues
    - Removed setting for image height. Contacts scales the image to a maximum of 256x256. I rescale to these values now

- Removed grayed effect for the photos contacts that are no matching for none contact (it's causing troubles in some devices)
    - Added preview effect (click in the contact name)
    - Added context menu (to apply only one photo or for show the preview)

1.0-RC1

- Fully UI redesign
    - Internal improvements
    - Facebook export don't works (don't implemented yet)

1.0-RC2

- Added support for JPG images
    - Re-added support for Menu key
    - Added more setting options
    - English strings corrected
    - Sorted folders in file explorer
    - Added exit confirmation

- UI improvements
    - Memory improvements
    - More configuration settings
    - Added facebook profile photos downloader

- First market release
    - Facebook exporter improvements
    - UI improvements
    - Spanish translation

- UI improvements in the second view (for photos that matches more than one contact)
    - Spanish strings corrected

- UI improvements in the list
    - Internal changes to reduce memory requirements

- Algorithm that updates the photo modified, for improve compatibility (is working fine with ICS and GB based devices)

- Facebook sync is working fine now (thank's to @Bobanovicz for test)
    - Added setting to allow photos cache or not (by default is disabled to reduce resources comsumption)

- Added functions to delete/rename photos to the context menus
    - Added setting to overwrite or not the existing files when download or export stock photo contacts

- Corrected strings
    - Facebook export includes owner photo
    - Shows a dialog at startup with the maximum supported width and height (depends from the OS) [I'm interested in known if any Android version is showing a value upper to 256]

- Changed load bitmap algorithm (solves FCs when load very large bitmaps)

2.0-B1

- Download followers/followings photos from Twitter

2.0-RC1

- Optimized code
    - Export operations (stock contacts, facebook and twitter) are cancelable now

2.0-RC2

- Included multiple photos deletion
    - Included replaceable characters (for comparaison) [eg. if you configure "ü" is replaceable by "ue", the photo "Arthur Müller" can match with the contact "Arthur Mueller" and vice versa]

- Added large click into photo name to show the contextual menu (same of click the triangle at the right of the list item)
    - Added fast scroll and indexer
    - Added russian translation (thank's to Vitalyi600)

- Solved FC on rename file

- Solved FC when set empty replacements table
    - Added traditional chinnesse translation (thank's to Chris Yu)

- Added german translation (thank's to [user_99])

- Removed submenu for (downloads -> twitter). Double submenu isn't compatible with all devices

- Added Czech translation (thank's to Bobanovicz)

- Added ability to use resolutions greater than 256x256 pixels (to use it, go settings and enable it [you need a rooted device])
    - Added search button in title bar
    - Added refresh button in title bar
    - Added download button in title bar
    - Removed menu button in title bar
    - Improved list speed and stability
    - Added Slovakian translation (thank's to pRo_lama)

- Don't automatically check "Upload HD photos" setting
    - Updated german translation

- Facebook exported photos in original size

- Auto remove facebook credentials if coming from a previous version (3.1.x requires more Facebook permissions)
    - Remove numbers from the end of photo name (for compatibility)

- Solved issue with Facebook (now actual profile photo is downloaded)

- Facebook exporter optimization
    - Support export for users with many friends

- Ability to add your own images (select from camera/gallery)
    - Buttons bar (AKA blue bar) can be showed at top screen, bottom screen or hide [in this case all options are showed in menu] (go settings)
    - Facebook export improvements
    - Added notification icon for export operations (stock/facebook/twitter)
    - Added french translation (thank's to tomcruisader)
    - Back button when a photo is selected don't finish app, only unselects all
    - Search key actives the photos search utility
    - Added italian translation (thank's to be_on_edge)

- Corrected strings

- If the device isn't supported by the app you can see a dialog at first start
    - For Gingerbread devices the real HD method (photos bigger than 256x256 px) isn't supported at this moment

- Added catalan translation

5.0.0 (not released in markt, only available in XDA thread)

- Added ability to manually link protos with contacts (without name match)
    - Added ability to create backups (and restore) from the settings and manually linked contacts
    - Facebook and Twitter own photo is also exported
    - Other small changes
    - Added Georgian translation (thank's to giorgi_alonso)

- Updated translations

- Corrected FC when display contacts list (in manually assignment) and a contact has no defined name
    - When download from Facebook, if two friends have the same name, the two photos are correctly downloaded

- Capable to select the Facebook/Twitter photos will be download
    - Auto repositionate in main list when refresh
    - UI improvements
    - Translation updates

- In selections lists (download [Facebook/Twitter/Stock] and manually link, if you click in the contact icon left to the contact name, it will be show the contact photo

- Solved issue when loading large contacts list (in manually assignment activity)

- Solved bug releated to manually set contacts that are unset when restart app

- (Possible) workaround for Gingerbread devices
    - Strings corrected

- FC when upgrading preferences from older versions
    - FC when listing a contact that has no name

8.0.1 [EXPERIMENTAL]

- Reboot is no longer required when apply HD photos [experimental]
    - Added a message when select HD photos in preferences and you don't have busybox installed
    - Internal improvements in the root photos assignment
    - Translations updated

- Reboot is no longer required when apply HD photos [experimental] [has an option in settings]
    - Enhance partial matches function to match correctly "John Doe" with "John B. Doe" (select partial matches option)
    - When apply more than one photo in HD, root is only requested for the first photo (i use the same root session to all photos apply)
    - Solved issue when applying photos and the pathname contains accentures or special chars

- Updated language translations

- Solved issue with app-data in root mode

- Solved issue (introduced in 8.1.2) that prevents to set app photos source folder. I'm sorry!

- Removed root options from preferences in Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). No longer required because JB support pictures in 720x720px
    - Only 1 photo is applied at the same time in free version (i'm sorry for that, but i need your small donations)

- Solves issues applying photos in contacts that (abnormally) has more than one photo

- Support for "JPEG" file extensions for "JPG" image files

- Works with CM10

- Added ads in free version

- Solved exception in preferences in JB

Differences between donate and free versions

Donate and free versions are contained in the same apk.
    The only differences are related to the nexts functions,
    that are only available for donors.

- Download facebook friends profiles photos
    - Download twitter followers/followings photos
    - Download stock contact photos
    - Apply more than 5 photos at the same time
    - Apply real HD photos (photos greater than 256x256 pixels) [root required]
    - Ability to create backups (and restore) from the settings and manually linked contacts

Donate app uses google license service in order to get info about whether application has been purchased
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    Known problems

In Gingerbread devices the HD real photos (bigger than 256x256px) isn't supported
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    Version 1.0 is in the OP
    and in the Play/Market in a few hours.
    Thread version is signed with the same certificate that the market version. You don't need to reinstall when available.
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    3.0.0-RC-1

Hi,
    I have updated to 3.0.0-RC-1 in OP, that includes:

- Search button
    - Refresh button

* Please, if the app don't works as espected, post a descriptive message that includes

- App version
    - Phone model and Android version

* If FC, please, post a logcat (with a log a error was corrected in minutes, and without them is more difficult)
    * If having memory issues in dialer or contacts app, and you're using HD resolution (that requires root), try to use a lower resolution [for models with screens of 480x800 a 512x512 photo is not much better than 400x400 and requires much more memory)
    * If having lags in the app main view list, try to enable/disable cache in settings

THANK'S TO ALL!