[Kernel] Lightnign Zap Kernel (Updated Weekly)

Search This thread

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Skyrocket

ATTN:
I thomas.raines, nor my affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise screw up your device.

certifiedicon.png

I revamped the Lightning Zap! kernel across the board. Since I have so many of them I was loosing where I was on each one. So I have now broken it down into 3 phases:
Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
Phase 3: Implementation of OC/UV
Phase 4: Continue updating and adjusting as necessary
From now on I will name the .zip accordingly as well:
Sky_p2.1
On a good note, I think this latest update will finalize phase 2 and now I can work on OC/UV...

Features:
Improved performance
Improved battery life
Improved network speeds
Improved boot times
Smoother scrolling
Better responsiveness
Cleaner file systems
Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
Improved Internet speed
Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
Make a backup
Download LightningZapv1Sky.zip to PC
Transfer LightningZapv1Sky.zip to your sdcard
Or just download it straight to your phone
Reboot to recovery
Flash
Phone will automatically reboot after install**
Wait 10 minutes
Enjoy the Lightning Zap!
ATTN!
If you are currently on any version of Lightning Zap! kernel, you must either replace your build.prop from your ROM or re-flash your current ROM. Or you can open your build.prop with a text editor and delete all lines below the Lightning Zap Tweaks entry.

This kernel was tested on ParanoidAndroid. This kernel and tweaks will work with any version of CM10 post 14OCT.

**First boot, especially after a fresh install of your ROM (wipe system cache etc, flash ROM gapps Lightning Zap) will take a while. It will seem to hang between a blank screen (which use to be the 2nd boot splash) and the boot animation. There is no need to panic. Everything is fine. It is the vacuum script trying to clean databases that have yet to be created. After first boot, your phone will boot as normal (a little faster actually)...

After first boot, ensure your I/O scheduler is set to cfq and your governor is set to ondemand to gain the maximum benefits of Lightning Zap!

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

Source Code:
msm8660-common_lz_kernel
vendor_lz-kernel (LZ vendor files for ROM compiling)
LZ Flashing Packages (For those of you just compiling the kernel)
Includes flashing script, binaries, etc for the Blaze, Nitro and Skyrocket

Special thanks to:
gs2usr for the link to source code...
xan for Voltage Control app

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Download links and changelog

Downloads and changelog

Skyrocket_p4.4-5.zip
Upstream maintenance
Anybody good with making a custom recovery and want to help out with the dual boot, hit me up...

Skyrocket_p4.4-4A.1.zip
Fixed intermittent boot loop issue
Dual boot has be put on hold for now...

Skyrocket_p4.4-A
Removed topology and mpdecision in 4.4-4, but found all the gov's work best with mpdecision so I added it back.
Adjusted CONFIG_NR_CPUS (number of cpu's) to cm default 999999 which causes the use of a CPU mask array. Small performance hit initially, but an overall vast improvement especially when multi-tasking.

Skyrocket_p4.4-3.zip
Merged from upstream
Added missing msm_mpdecsion blobs
All governors and schedulers seem completely stable now (Keep testing please)
Added True CD-ROM emulation interface (Not fully working on my computer. Need testers to verify with windows and linux) here is how to use it! (Special thanks goes to DooMLoRD and his doom kernel for the Xperia Z)
init.d scripts updated with new mount params
Enjoy!

Skyrocket_p4.4-2.zip
Raised vm_max_readahed to 4096.

Lowered default max cpu freq to 1512.

Changed min cpu freq to 384 to fix Lionheart and Gallimaufry instability.

Skyrocket_p4.4-1.zip
Fixed ability to change cpu frequency. Your changes now stick after closing app.
Used userdebug lunch option. Now if you have red border on screen, it's more than likely in the ROM. Talk to your ROM dev.
Possible fix for loss of su/root. (Let me know if you still loose it after flashing. I didn't have any issues this time.

Skyrocket_p4.4.zip
Updated to 4.4 for cm-11.0. This means this version is for cm-11.0/android 4.4
CPU frequency settings don't stick after closing the VC app
Lionheart governor acts up a bit and might cause reboots if voltage is too low
Lowering cpu frequency below 384 may cause instability
Still testing. If you find any bugs, let me know and please add a logcat

Archived changelog

Enjoy the Zap!

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Voltage tables:
Voltage tables:
Voltage minimum
Was 1000mV
Now 700mV

Voltage max
Was 1250
Now 1350
With a 25mV step between frequencies; however, 192mV-423mV are all three 700mV

The governor tweak is set for a fairly balance of performance and battery life. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in atext editor)
5 Uncomment (remove # in the particular line) and change:
Code:
echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
To:
Code:
echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
6 Select menu/save
7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
8 Press run, close app and enjoy
This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

If you want even better battery life:
1 Following steps 1-4
2 Add a # at the begining of lines 11 to 19
3 Scroll to "pwoersaver" section
4 Remove the # at the begining of lines 28, 30-38 and 43
Code:
#AWAKE_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#    echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
etc
Code:
AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
#SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
        echo "20000" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
5 Follow steps 6-8 (no need to select super user icon if you already did)
This will result in lower performance, but ultimate battery life

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
Code:
echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >   /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

Although it says not to in the script, you can change the sampling rate as well. Do not go below 50000. I left it at 57500 as I found this seems good setting for smooth scrolling and performance.

Code:
    echo "[COLOR=Red]57500[/COLOR]" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
Always leave SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" uncommented (no #) and do not uncomment any other SLEEP_GOVERNOR as this will keep ultimate battery save while screen is off.
Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.

I am not resposible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Source code tips

just add this to your local_manifest.xml:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <remote fetch="https://github.com" name="LZkernel" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/msm8660-common_lz_kernel" path="kernel/samsung/msm8660-common" remote="LZkernel" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/vendor_lz-kernel" path="vendor/lz-kernel" remote="LZkernel" revision="master" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/android_device_samsung_msm8660-common" path="device/samsung/msm8660-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TeamFahQ/android_device_samsung_skyrocket" path="device/samsung/skyrocket" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_samsung" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_celox-common" path="device/samsung/celox-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
</manifest>
You MUST use my repo for the devices (as noted above) in order for LZ to build correctly. You will also need to manually copy the /scripts and modules to your directory where you zip things up. /system/etc/lzbp.sh is gone so make sure you remove the perms from your flashing script (Working on fixing this now)

Or (in terminal):
Code:
curl -L -o .repo/local_manifest.xml -O -L https://raw.github.com/TeamFahQ/Paranoid_manifest/master/local_manifest.xml
And remove the devices that you do not wish to use. Then repo sync. If you are using this as a basis for another device, make sure you check out the commits.

Last edited:

chinthekng

May 22, 2012
Maryland
Sorry guys... My lack of patience for trolls got the best of me for the moment...

Anyhow, let's get on with the good stuff. The OP is complete, the CWM flashable zip is uploaded, and the link is validated and ready for you guys. Please allow at least 24 hours and 1 recharge cycle to pass before posting results and issues. If you do encounter an issue, please provide logs.

Since that's over I'm downloading now can't wait to see what happens :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

i can confirm that this works on the latest slim bean 2.8 ill give it a full run to see how it feels and if it saves battery and performance

Reactions: datrapstar

x2o

Nov 14, 2007
Awesome! digging the influx of kernels lately, will give this one a shot :good: :good:

christianxin

Jun 7, 2012
forgive me if i miss details . i try to look which rom this support . iam running liquid RC 5 . the other two kernel only support build after 10-14th.
what about this one ? the same ?

hechoen

May 7, 2011
ParanoidAndroid 2.50
CM10
slim bean 2.8
orothus 6

Waiting for feedback
xperiance aokp r3
liquid RC 5

Nice to see you around Thomas.

Add R4INS AOKP JB 10/24 to the list. A little scary at first but it all worked out. lol Flashed from ska8ers v6.0.1.3 Wiped caches then flashed zip. After a few seconds screen went blank and phone was totally unresponsive. Never a fun sight when flashing a kernel as you know. Waited a bit then rebooted using the power button hold trick. After rebooting it booted in the OS and I confirmed the kernel indeed flashed. Everything seems to be working fine. No idea what caused the hiccup. Thanks for including the cache/dalvik wipe in the install script as well. I'll let you know in a few days how battery shapes up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Skyrocket

ATTN:
    I thomas.raines, nor my affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise screw up your device.

certifiedicon.png

I revamped the Lightning Zap! kernel across the board. Since I have so many of them I was loosing where I was on each one. So I have now broken it down into 3 phases:
    Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
    Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
    Phase 3: Implementation of OC/UV
    Phase 4: Continue updating and adjusting as necessary
    From now on I will name the .zip accordingly as well:
    Sky_p2.1
    On a good note, I think this latest update will finalize phase 2 and now I can work on OC/UV...

Features:
    Improved performance
    Improved battery life
    Improved network speeds
    Improved boot times
    Smoother scrolling
    Better responsiveness
    Cleaner file systems
    Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
    Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
    Improved Internet speed
    Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
    Make a backup
    Download LightningZapv1Sky.zip to PC
    Transfer LightningZapv1Sky.zip to your sdcard
    Or just download it straight to your phone
    Reboot to recovery
    Flash
    Phone will automatically reboot after install**
    Wait 10 minutes
    Enjoy the Lightning Zap!
    ATTN!
    If you are currently on any version of Lightning Zap! kernel, you must either replace your build.prop from your ROM or re-flash your current ROM. Or you can open your build.prop with a text editor and delete all lines below the Lightning Zap Tweaks entry.

This kernel was tested on ParanoidAndroid. This kernel and tweaks will work with any version of CM10 post 14OCT.

**First boot, especially after a fresh install of your ROM (wipe system cache etc, flash ROM gapps Lightning Zap) will take a while. It will seem to hang between a blank screen (which use to be the 2nd boot splash) and the boot animation. There is no need to panic. Everything is fine. It is the vacuum script trying to clean databases that have yet to be created. After first boot, your phone will boot as normal (a little faster actually)...

After first boot, ensure your I/O scheduler is set to cfq and your governor is set to ondemand to gain the maximum benefits of Lightning Zap!

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

Source Code:
    msm8660-common_lz_kernel
    vendor_lz-kernel (LZ vendor files for ROM compiling)
    LZ Flashing Packages (For those of you just compiling the kernel)
    Includes flashing script, binaries, etc for the Blaze, Nitro and Skyrocket

Special thanks to:
    gs2usr for the link to source code...
    xan for Voltage Control app
    Download links and changelog

Downloads and changelog

Skyrocket_p4.4-5.zip
    Upstream maintenance
    Anybody good with making a custom recovery and want to help out with the dual boot, hit me up...

Skyrocket_p4.4-4A.1.zip
    Fixed intermittent boot loop issue
    Dual boot has be put on hold for now...

Skyrocket_p4.4-A
    Removed topology and mpdecision in 4.4-4, but found all the gov's work best with mpdecision so I added it back.
    Adjusted CONFIG_NR_CPUS (number of cpu's) to cm default 999999 which causes the use of a CPU mask array. Small performance hit initially, but an overall vast improvement especially when multi-tasking.

Skyrocket_p4.4-3.zip
    Merged from upstream
    Added missing msm_mpdecsion blobs
    All governors and schedulers seem completely stable now (Keep testing please)
    Added True CD-ROM emulation interface (Not fully working on my computer. Need testers to verify with windows and linux) here is how to use it! (Special thanks goes to DooMLoRD and his doom kernel for the Xperia Z)
    init.d scripts updated with new mount params
    Enjoy!

Skyrocket_p4.4-2.zip
    Raised vm_max_readahed to 4096.

Lowered default max cpu freq to 1512.

Changed min cpu freq to 384 to fix Lionheart and Gallimaufry instability.

Skyrocket_p4.4-1.zip
    Fixed ability to change cpu frequency. Your changes now stick after closing app.
    Used userdebug lunch option. Now if you have red border on screen, it's more than likely in the ROM. Talk to your ROM dev.
    Possible fix for loss of su/root. (Let me know if you still loose it after flashing. I didn't have any issues this time.

Skyrocket_p4.4.zip
    Updated to 4.4 for cm-11.0. This means this version is for cm-11.0/android 4.4
    CPU frequency settings don't stick after closing the VC app
    Lionheart governor acts up a bit and might cause reboots if voltage is too low
    Lowering cpu frequency below 384 may cause instability
    Still testing. If you find any bugs, let me know and please add a logcat

Archived changelog

Enjoy the Zap!
    Voltage tables:
    Voltage tables:
    Voltage minimum
    Was 1000mV
    Now 700mV

Voltage max
    Was 1250
    Now 1350
    With a 25mV step between frequencies; however, 192mV-423mV are all three 700mV

The governor tweak is set for a fairly balance of performance and battery life. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
    1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
    2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
    3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
    4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in atext editor)
    5 Uncomment (remove # in the particular line) and change:
    Code:
    echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    To:
    Code:
    echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    6 Select menu/save
    7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
    8 Press run, close app and enjoy
    This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

If you want even better battery life:
    1 Following steps 1-4
    2 Add a # at the begining of lines 11 to 19
    3 Scroll to "pwoersaver" section
    4 Remove the # at the begining of lines 28, 30-38 and 43
    Code:
    #AWAKE_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    #SLEEP_GOVERNOR="ondemand"
    #    echo "70" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    etc
    Code:
    AWAKE_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
    #SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersaver"
            echo "20000" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
    5 Follow steps 6-8 (no need to select super user icon if you already did)
    This will result in lower performance, but ultimate battery life

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
    Code:
    echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >   /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

Although it says not to in the script, you can change the sampling rate as well. Do not go below 50000. I left it at 57500 as I found this seems good setting for smooth scrolling and performance.

Code:
        echo "[COLOR=Red]57500[/COLOR]" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;
    Always leave SLEEP_GOVERNOR="powersave" uncommented (no #) and do not uncomment any other SLEEP_GOVERNOR as this will keep ultimate battery save while screen is off.
    Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.

I am not resposible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.
    The newest member to our community...Samantha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
    Best freaking update thus far

Phase 3 is now introduced and available
    Thanks to car vs driver, I was able to fix the ability to set the max/min cpu frequency. Now the Lightning Zap! kernel is right on track.

OC/UV is now part of the Lightning Zap! kernel!

Even though this is the final phase in building the LZ kernel, there is still some things I intend to do such as:
    Fine tuning governors and other values
    Implement scorched io-scheduler and governor
    Remove unneeded/unwanted governors
    Fine tune other values until the Lightning Zap! kernel is the best with performance and battery life.

Happy holidays!