Afraid of bricking my phone, what should I be concerned?

Search This thread

DanDare_77

Apr 13, 2014
Hello there,

So recently Ive been doing lots of crazy/funny stuff with my phone like testing different ROM and boot images. I'm trying to do things as secure as possible, reading lots of threads before attempting things and trying to make sanity checks on procedures I read here on XDA. Despite of that, Im still unsecure about some principles:

For what I got, on the process of phone booting from power ON, it all starts at boot ROM. Boot ROM then calls the bootloader. At this point I have the first question: These custom boot images we use to upload to phone are the bootloader, right? So, considering we are not touching boot ROM (at least its what I supose as I never saw any reference on how to change boot ROM), if I use fastboot and upload a wrong or bad boot image I will be able to restore another boot image. I mean, theres no danger of definetely bricking my phone while playing with boot images as boot ROM remains untouched?

When I use flashtool to upload ftf images it will flash everything, including the bootloader, right? Again, if I use a wrong/bad ftf file the Boot ROM remains untouched, so no danger of definetely bricking my phone?

Im tempted to test some Cyanogem fork for Xperia M (among other stuff) but need/want to have this sort of questions sorted out first.

Should I post such newb questionsl ike this in here or in the development section of forum?

Any clues?
Thanks

Trppmdm

Jan 19, 2014
Sorry to be of no help(mostly because I dislike theory and like practice), but changing the bootloader using flash isn't possible because, at least I, have flashed 4.3 without unlocking bootloader.

About what part of XDA this should go on, it's probably the general discussion of XDA.

ansebovi

Hello there,

So recently Ive been doing lots of crazy/funny stuff with my phone like testing different ROM and boot images. I'm trying to do things as secure as possible, reading lots of threads before attempting things and trying to make sanity checks on procedures I read here on XDA. Despite of that, Im still unsecure about some principles:

For what I got, on the process of phone booting from power ON, it all starts at boot ROM. Boot ROM then calls the bootloader. At this point I have the first question: These custom boot images we use to upload to phone are the bootloader, right? So, considering we are not touching boot ROM (at least its what I supose as I never saw any reference on how to change boot ROM), if I use fastboot and upload a wrong or bad boot image I will be able to restore another boot image. I mean, theres no danger of definetely bricking my phone while playing with boot images as boot ROM remains untouched?

When I use flashtool to upload ftf images it will flash everything, including the bootloader, right? Again, if I use a wrong/bad ftf file the Boot ROM remains untouched, so no danger of definetely bricking my phone?

Im tempted to test some Cyanogem fork for Xperia M (among other stuff) but need/want to have this sort of questions sorted out first.

Should I post such newb questionsl ike this in here or in the development section of forum?

Any clues?
Thanks

if u mean kernel as boot img....and rom as boot rom...
then answer is...u will get hardbrick....
kernel is most important to run a device...it should have correct hardware files or else urs will be gone[more than 80% to end up on hardbrick...]...
and in boot rom[rom or system files] only libs,etc are important ...libs has ur hardware related files to make work correctly and etc has some permissions,bluetooth files,ur partition info,etc[all only for ur phones for hardware]...if u place other device libs,etc u may get hardbrick or hardware wont work as usual....app,fonts,framework can be placed from any but it wont let you boot unless u know how to port...