Guide/tutorial-statusbar clock-add seconds,day of week,date-full customiztion options

Search This thread

rastigo

Apr 28, 2013
Pune
This guide will help you in customizing the statusbar clock and play with it a bit. This mod requires a deodexed LGSystemUI.apk. It took me about a month to cook this mod.This guide couldnt have been possible without @Ticklefish , so I thank him for his terrific knowledge and his willingness to help others.

Special thanks to @Spannaa for his guide based on which this one was made...Truly awesome both @Spannaa and @Ticklefish

Basically an inbuilt android function called "TEXTCLOCK" is used in the mod to display clock in html code

You need to have knowledge of compiling and decompiling ...Tools recommended:
Apktool 1.5.2 (coz it handles smali files perfectly, although we don't touch any of them in this mod)
Notepad++

Remember the variable used should be in format like :
<b>...</b> ..................................makes the the enclosed text bold
<i>...</i>...................................makes the the enclosed text italic
<font size=xx>...</font>............sets the font size of the enclosed text to X.0dip
<font fgcolor ="#ffffffff">...</>........sets the foreground colour of the enclosed text
<font bgcolor ="#ff000000">...</>... .sets the background colour of the enclosed text
fgcolor and bgcolor set the foreground and background color. Note that these attributes should be in hexcode like “#ff00ff00”.
<u>...</u>.... Underlines the text
<strike>...</strike>.... creates a strikethrough

There are lots of options for customizations available. You can change the strings above using any of the following.

d.............Day Of Month " 1"
dd.......... Day Of Month adds Zero before,"01"
EEEE......Day Of Week "Tuesday"
EEE........Week Day short "Tue"
MMMM....Month "SEPTEMBER"
MMM.......Month short "SEP"
MM..........Month adds zero before "09"
M............Month "9"
yyyy........Year "2014"
yy............Year Short "14"
h..............Hour 12 hour, 5
hh............Hour adds zero before "08"
H.............Hour 24 hour 5pm="5/17"
HH...........Hour 24 hour add zero before ie. 5am = "05"
In some ROMs if "HH" won't work replace the same with "kk" instead of "HH"
m.............Minute 5 min="5"
mm..........Minute add zero before 5min ="05"
s..............Second 7secs ="7"
ss............Second add zero before 7sec="07"
a..............AM/PM

Step 1
Decompile your LGSystemUI.apk. Edit /res/layout/statusbar.xml and find the line:

HTML:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textSize="18.0dip" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingBottom="1.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />

V.Imp: Do not delete this line...Just hide the clock by adding "andoid:visibility="gone""
Change it to

HTML:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textSize="18.0dip" android:visibility="gone" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingBottom="1.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />

Step 2

Just below that line add the following code:

HTML:
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

VVV IMP: The above line must be below the stock clock code or the statusbar will crash

Step 3

Open /res/values/strings and add the following strings at the end.

HTML:
<string name="status_bar_clock_12hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>h:mm<font size="10"> a</font></string>
<string name="status_bar_clock_24hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>HH:mm</string>

You can change this to what is mentioned before with your choice of clock format

Step 4
Open/res/values/styles and find

HTML:
<style name="TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" parent="@*android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon">
        <item name="android:textSize">18.0dip</item>
        <item name="android:textStyle">normal</item>
        <item name="android:textColor">#ffffffff</item>

Here you can customize size.bold,colour of the clock

Step 5
Recompile your LGSystemUI.apk.
Copy meta_inf folder and AndroidManifest.xml from original file to recompiled file.
Rename the recompiled file as LGSystemUI.apk
Push to /system/priv-app with 644 permissions.
Reboot and enjoy the mod.

For eg. my strings read as follows:

HTML:
<string name="status_bar_clock_12hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>h:mm:ss<font size="10"> a</font></string>
<string name="status_bar_clock_24hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>HH:mm:ss</string>

Output of which is as under:

screenshot.png

For those who arent profoud with compile/decompile...I am posting a G2 STOCK KK LGSystemUI.apk for download. It has

-Short day of the week.
-Clock with seconds
-Small am/pm
SCRRENSHOT:screenshota.png
Rename to LGSystemUI.apk and push to /system/priv-app with 644 permissions and delete the LGSystemUI.odex file.

Stock G2 KK Download

You have to play around a bit with the strings added to strings.xml in order to figure out your desired result

A lot of hardwork went into making this guide so please show appreciation by pressing thanks button. Please also give credit if youve used this in your MODS/ROM

Last edited:

rastigo

Apr 28, 2013
Pune
so how did you get the clock and separate date? do you still apply visibility gone to the clock and use two textclock(one on left and one on right? or do you leave clock on right and remove it from the 12/24 hour format strings/place textclock on the left?

You leave the original clock line untouched. Just remember to add the same clock line above textclock with visibility gone. Or systemui will crash. That way you have clock and the textclock with your string both. Remember to add the exact same clock line with visibility gone before each textclock.... Like i said possibilities are limitless

Last edited:

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
You leave the original clock line untouched. Just remember to add the same clock line above textclock with visibility gone. Or systemui will crash. That way you have clock and the textclock with your string both. Remember to add the exact same clock line with visibility gone before each textclock.... Like i said possibilities are limitless
Well I left the center clock and added a clock(same code as center one) to the left with visibility gone and textclock and then used the format EEE, MMM/dd/yy but it still includes the clock :rolleyes:
51293e2600233f03676ec94bbf35e69e.jpg

XXZOMBIEPIKACHU WAS HERE

Reactions: quangcon1980

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Okay so I am looking for that layout but I got the same issue with stock layout of status bar using textclock and below is screenshot and zip with statusbar.xml/strings.xml
25dc4c42a1d7645e5dd5d5eb814ed096.jpg

XXZOMBIEPIKACHU WAS HERE

Two clocks again, eh? This may just be caused the original clock line. If you can find that xml, I'm sure I'll be able to spot the problem for you. :highfive:

(Nice wallpaper, btw..)

rastigo

Apr 28, 2013
Pune
Two clocks again, eh? This may just be caused the original clock line. If you can find that xml, I'm sure I'll be able to spot the problem for you. :highfive:

(Nice wallpaper, btw..)

@XxZombiePikachu, Here are 2 workaround options , try and let me know if any of them works. I looked at your files, they seem fine to me but I dont know where is the second clock drawn from. Anyways @Ticklefish will figure out soon (he is the best with xml).
Meanwhile try the attached workarounds and let me know . Files are HERE

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
(Nice wallpaper, btw..)

well mr@Ticklefish here you go, it is one of the g3 default wallpapers

@XxZombiePikachu, Here are 2 workaround options , try and let me know if any of them works. I looked at your files, they seem fine to me but I dont know where is the second clock drawn from. Anyways @Ticklefish will figure out soon (he is the best with xml).
Meanwhile try the attached workarounds and let me know . Files are HERE

ok so workaround number one has the same result while workaround number two doesn't compile because you made an error in the status_bar.xml in line 26 you either forgot to finish the line or accidentally added that piece of code:
Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"

rastigo

Apr 28, 2013
Pune
I know i might have messed with the files in a hurry. Guess we have to wait for @Ticklefish to show us a way out. Just a thought, can you check signal_cluster.xml to see if any clock line exist in there.
As far as G2 kk rom, it works perfectly

Last edited:

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Okay so I am looking for that layout but I got the same issue with stock layout of status bar using textclock and below is screenshot and zip with statusbar.xml/strings.xml
25dc4c42a1d7645e5dd5d5eb814ed096.jpg

XXZOMBIEPIKACHU WAS HERE

Judging from your screenshot, I'd say that your original clock is still showing. Which is interesting because you should have hidden it when you added the attribute 'android:visibility="gone"' to the clock line.

There's a few possible solutions here.

The first thing we could try is removing the '@id/clock' from the TextClock line. This id isn't needed at all. It's needed for the ordinary clock so that the phone can process the clock smali ('LGSystemUI.apk/com/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/Clock.smali') and it knows what part of the statusbar to update.
But TextClock is a fundamental part of Android, there is no smali to reference to. So it's possible that having these two id's could be causing a conflict of some kind which makes the original clock stay visible.

So try changing this:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:visibility="gone" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"
              xmlns:lge="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/com.android.systemui" />
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" [COLOR="Red"]android:id="@id/clock"[/COLOR] android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

to this:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:visibility="gone" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

If that doesn't work, it's possible that something in your rom is overriding that visibility attribute and forcing the clock to be visible. This happens in my rom, I can disable/enable the clock in my Settings app, so my clock line has 'android:visibility="gone"' already.
In which case, we just need to edit the clock line so it's essentially invisible, even if it's technically visible. To do that, we just need to change the width and height.

Like this:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:visibility="gone" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" [COLOR="Red"]android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="0.0dip"[/COLOR] android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

If that doesn't work either, then we need to work out just what you're seeing in your statusbar. The easiest way to do that is simply to have the clock and the TextClock in different colours..

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock [COLOR="Red"]android:textColor="#ff0000ff"[/COLOR] android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:visibility="gone" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" [COLOR="Red"]android:textColor="#ff00ff00"[/COLOR] android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

This will make the normal clock bright blue and the TextClock bright green. Once you've finished flashing your recompiled apk, you'll be able to see just where that clock on the left is coming from.
Then we will have a better idea of how to get rid of it.

Let me know how it goes!

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Judging from your screenshot, I'd say that your original clock is still showing. Which is interesting because you should have hidden it when you added the attribute 'android:visibility="gone"' to the clock line.

There's a few possible solutions here.

The first thing we could try is removing the '@id/clock' from the TextClock line. This id isn't needed at all. It's needed for the ordinary clock so that the phone can process the clock smali ('LGSystemUI.apk/com/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/Clock.smali') and it knows what part of the statusbar to update.
But TextClock is a fundamental part of Android, there is no smali to reference to. So it's possible that having these two id's could be causing a conflict of some kind which makes the original clock stay visible.

So try changing this:

Code:
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" [COLOR="Red"]android:id="@id/clock"[/COLOR] android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

to this:

Code:

If that doesn't work, it's possible that something in your rom is overriding that visibility attribute and forcing the clock to be visible. This happens in my rom, I can disable/enable the clock in my Settings app, so my clock line has 'android:visibility="gone"' already.
In which case, we just need to edit the clock line so it's essentially invisible, even if it's technically visible. To do that, we just need to change the width and height.

Like this:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:visibility="gone" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" [COLOR="Red"]android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="0.0dip"[/COLOR] android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"

If that doesn't work either, then we need to work out just what you're seeing in your statusbar. The easiest way to do that is simply to have the clock and the TextClock in different colours..

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock [COLOR="Red"]android:textColor="#ff0000ff"[/COLOR] android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:visibility="gone" android:textSize="17.0dip" android:textColor="@color/status_bar_text_color" android:gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" android:layout_marginEnd="4.0dip"
<TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" [COLOR="Red"]android:textColor="#ff00ff00"[/COLOR] android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

This will make the normal clock bright blue and the TextClock bright green. Once you've finished flashing your recompiled apk, you'll be able to see just where that clock on the left is coming from.
Then we will have a better idea of how to get rid of it.

Let me know how it goes!

Alright then as soon as I get home will be sure to get to compiling/testing and report will my findings

XXZOMBIEPIKACHU WAS HERE

Reactions: Ticklefish

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will help you in customizing the statusbar clock and play with it a bit. This mod requires a deodexed LGSystemUI.apk. It took me about a month to cook this mod.This guide couldnt have been possible without @Ticklefish , so I thank him for his terrific knowledge and his willingness to help others.

Special thanks to @Spannaa for his guide based on which this one was made...Truly awesome both @Spannaa and @Ticklefish

Basically an inbuilt android function called "TEXTCLOCK" is used in the mod to display clock in html code

You need to have knowledge of compiling and decompiling ...Tools recommended:
    Apktool 1.5.2 (coz it handles smali files perfectly, although we don't touch any of them in this mod)
    Notepad++

Remember the variable used should be in format like :
    <b>...</b> ..................................makes the the enclosed text bold
    <i>...</i>...................................makes the the enclosed text italic
    <font size=xx>...</font>............sets the font size of the enclosed text to X.0dip
    <font fgcolor ="#ffffffff">...</>........sets the foreground colour of the enclosed text
    <font bgcolor ="#ff000000">...</>... .sets the background colour of the enclosed text
    fgcolor and bgcolor set the foreground and background color. Note that these attributes should be in hexcode like “#ff00ff00”.
    <u>...</u>.... Underlines the text
    <strike>...</strike>.... creates a strikethrough

There are lots of options for customizations available. You can change the strings above using any of the following.

d.............Day Of Month " 1"
    dd.......... Day Of Month adds Zero before,"01"
    EEEE......Day Of Week "Tuesday"
    EEE........Week Day short "Tue"
    MMMM....Month "SEPTEMBER"
    MMM.......Month short "SEP"
    MM..........Month adds zero before "09"
    M............Month "9"
    yyyy........Year "2014"
    yy............Year Short "14"
    h..............Hour 12 hour, 5
    hh............Hour adds zero before "08"
    H.............Hour 24 hour 5pm="5/17"
    HH...........Hour 24 hour add zero before ie. 5am = "05"
    In some ROMs if "HH" won't work replace the same with "kk" instead of "HH"
    m.............Minute 5 min="5"
    mm..........Minute add zero before 5min ="05"
    s..............Second 7secs ="7"
    ss............Second add zero before 7sec="07"
    a..............AM/PM

Step 1
    Decompile your LGSystemUI.apk. Edit /res/layout/statusbar.xml and find the line:

HTML:
    <com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textSize="18.0dip" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingBottom="1.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />

V.Imp: Do not delete this line...Just hide the clock by adding "andoid:visibility="gone""
    Change it to

HTML:
    <com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textSize="18.0dip" android:visibility="gone" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingBottom="1.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />

Step 2

Just below that line add the following code:

HTML:
    <TextClock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:textColor="#ffffffff" android:layout_gravity="center_vertical" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingLeft="3.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" android:format12Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_12hr_format" android:format24Hour="@string/status_bar_clock_24hr_format" />

VVV IMP: The above line must be below the stock clock code or the statusbar will crash

Step 3

Open /res/values/strings and add the following strings at the end.

HTML:
    <string name="status_bar_clock_12hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>h:mm<font size="10"> a</font></string>
    <string name="status_bar_clock_24hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>HH:mm</string>

You can change this to what is mentioned before with your choice of clock format

Step 4
    Open/res/values/styles and find

HTML:
    <style name="TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" parent="@*android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Icon">
            <item name="android:textSize">18.0dip</item>
            <item name="android:textStyle">normal</item>
            <item name="android:textColor">#ffffffff</item>

Here you can customize size.bold,colour of the clock

Step 5
    Recompile your LGSystemUI.apk.
    Copy meta_inf folder and AndroidManifest.xml from original file to recompiled file.
    Rename the recompiled file as LGSystemUI.apk
    Push to /system/priv-app with 644 permissions.
    Reboot and enjoy the mod.

For eg. my strings read as follows:

HTML:
    <string name="status_bar_clock_12hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>h:mm:ss<font size="10"> a</font></string>
    <string name="status_bar_clock_24hr_format"><font size="13">EEE, </font>HH:mm:ss</string>

Output of which is as under:

screenshot.png

For those who arent profoud with compile/decompile...I am posting a G2 STOCK KK LGSystemUI.apk for download. It has

-Short day of the week.
    -Clock with seconds
    -Small am/pm
    SCRRENSHOT:screenshota.png
    Rename to LGSystemUI.apk and push to /system/priv-app with 644 permissions and delete the LGSystemUI.odex file.

Stock G2 KK Download

You have to play around a bit with the strings added to strings.xml in order to figure out your desired result

A lot of hardwork went into making this guide so please show appreciation by pressing thanks button. Please also give credit if youve used this in your MODS/ROM
    Yeah, possibilities are endless
    So I am finally testing this but have fun into an issue not sure what could have gone wrong, systemui is deodexed and the strings are there but 24 hour clock looks like this

abb7d1633a8b3340eeeeaba1a3f953fc.jpg

And 12 hour clock same but last number changes

9caf6dd19c5920ce5e30cdedbee80f21.jpg

Any ideas @rastigo

XXZOMBIEPIKACHU WAS HERE
    Share your strings.xml and statusbar.xml i will look and revert
    Share your strings.xml and statusbar.xml i will look and revert
    It's okay I figured out what I was doing wrong, I was using textclock styles but had forgotten to install modded systemui with the strings for textclock added

3689eaed695db9117adc1f44bb448328.jpg

XXZOMBIEPIKACHU WAS HERE