[APP] Biblioholic - Library book manager

Search This thread

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Greetings. Tired of returning library books late? Biblioholic allows you to manage books you have checked out of a library system.

Add a book(s) to the list, select the due date, and receive a notification when it is due!

If you'd like, you may also make an update to Twitter regarding your book.

Confession: I made this app for my spouse who really needs to stop returning books late.

Looking for feedback & comments! Hopefully someone out there still uses an old-fashioned library. Thanks!

Also available on the Market.

Screenshots:

main_screen_001.png

add_item_screen_001.png

Recent changes:

v0.9.1: Added renew book ability, Added default checkout length (default is 21 days)

Last edited:
Reactions: GRRemlin

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Looks awesome!
I can't find the full version anywhere. Will the free expire after 30 days?

Thanks for checking it out! I have the full version on hold right now until I figure out my publishing strategy.

Right now I wanted to get feedback from people and make sure nothing was broken on any HW or SW versions. Have you checked out any books yet? :)

GRRemlin

May 3, 2009
Baltimore
Not yet. Only yesterday I paid $3 and returned the books. I should chekc out a few more this weekend and will definitely let you know how the program works.
Again, this is an awesome idea! Somehow scheduling due dates in Google Calendar didn't help me much.

Maybe you should have an option for "nagging", since "some of us" dismiss the reminder and forget immideately :p

excarnate

Nov 4, 2010
Suggestions

Ability to scan bar codes.
Ability to enter ISBN.
Integrate with calendar.
Integrate with to do list.
Send email instead of SMS/Twitter.
Ability to have default due date (at my library, books are 3 weeks, CDs/DVDs are 1 week; for books I'd want 3 days, for discs I'd want 2 days).
Different default alarm date for different types.

And, as always, the fewer the taps it takes to do something, the better. Try to figure out ways to make it as efficient as possible. Ideally:
1. Launch app
2. Scan barcode(s)
3. Tap OK at any point to accept defaults for all items.

Optionally, for those with access to multiple libraries, would be a way to pick which library (e.g. scan library card's bar code first, tap on list (not a pick list unless more than 3 libraries please!). Of course, if no library is defined, or only 1, don't make it a step to pick which library, the way it is now is fine :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wickdc

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Great idea! I think with the posibility to scan bar codes for title info you have an app here with big potential (notice that the isbn codes that are scanned are fairly easy to find on the internet. I even believe that there's a central database for this. If not, just use the amazon site ;) )

Take a look at this open source project for implementing barcode scanner funtionality: http://code.google.com/p/zxing/

If you are looking for a partner in this project, let me know :D

Last edited:

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Uploaded v0.9.1.

v0.9.1: Added renew book ability, Added default checkout length (default is 21 days)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings. Tired of returning library books late? Biblioholic allows you to manage books you have checked out of a library system.

Add a book(s) to the list, select the due date, and receive a notification when it is due!

If you'd like, you may also make an update to Twitter regarding your book.

Confession: I made this app for my spouse who really needs to stop returning books late.

Looking for feedback & comments! Hopefully someone out there still uses an old-fashioned library. Thanks!

Also available on the Market.

Screenshots:

main_screen_001.png

add_item_screen_001.png

Recent changes:

Suggestions

Ability to scan bar codes.
    Ability to enter ISBN.
    Integrate with calendar.
    Integrate with to do list.
    Send email instead of SMS/Twitter.
    Ability to have default due date (at my library, books are 3 weeks, CDs/DVDs are 1 week; for books I'd want 3 days, for discs I'd want 2 days).
    Different default alarm date for different types.

And, as always, the fewer the taps it takes to do something, the better. Try to figure out ways to make it as efficient as possible. Ideally:
    1. Launch app
    2. Scan barcode(s)
    3. Tap OK at any point to accept defaults for all items.

Optionally, for those with access to multiple libraries, would be a way to pick which library (e.g. scan library card's bar code first, tap on list (not a pick list unless more than 3 libraries please!). Of course, if no library is defined, or only 1, don't make it a step to pick which library, the way it is now is fine :)