[HowTo] use 3G Dongle on TF101 *UPDATED 04/13/2012*

Search This thread

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
Hi, is there any other ways to connect 3G dongle without rooting?

At the moment, no.

To use the current method, you need to be able to copy files to the /system directory of the tablet and it seems unlikely there'll be any method that avoids the need for that (unless the changes are bundled up as part of a custom rom, but if you are applying a custom rom you might was well just use a rooted one anyway)

Reactions: yhw22

kenblat

Nov 4, 2010
Guys, Thanks for such amazing method!!!!

Mine case all went well, using E1750 disable microSD storage using putty, but after add new APN i can not find out the way to save this APN, pressing back button just return to the empty list as before? Any trick to add new APN?

TIA

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
Guys, Thanks for such amazing method!!!!

Mine case all went well, using E1750 disable microSD storage using putty, but after add new APN i can not find out the way to save this APN, pressing back button just return to the empty list as before? Any trick to add new APN?

TIA

Do you have your modem plugged in while you are trying to create the APN ?
I think APNs aren't shown in the list until you plug the modem in, so if the modem isn't plugged in then the APN may have been created you just can't see it yet.

If the modem is plugged in, try unplugging it and plugging it back in (and maybe even rebooting the tablet) in case that's needed before you can see the APN.

Kasimodo

Dec 27, 2008
Android City
Indeed like Matchstick said you have to plug the Dongle to see apn settings. At this time you could choose your ISP and even modify directly his default pan settings.

Otherwise, i mean without the dongle plugged, you can create APN but can't save it. I didn't find how and i don't know why.

Last edited:

sylar666

Dec 4, 2010
Do you have your modem plugged in while you are trying to create the APN ?
I think APNs aren't shown in the list until you plug the modem in, so if the modem isn't plugged in then the APN may have been created you just can't see it yet.

If the modem is plugged in, try unplugging it and plugging it back in (and maybe even rebooting the tablet) in case that's needed before you can see the APN.

Hello, I have the same issue, with a vodafone K-3765-H.
The weird thing is with putty, when I try to run the command AT^ U2DIAG= 0, always give me back ERROR at wxp 32. ATI command works right, but I never see what I'm typing at putty command window, just the results.
Also, I never get to see the APN, surely because dongle isn't recognized (keeps blinking the red light).

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 usando Tapatalk

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
Hello, I have the same issue, with a vodafone K-3765-H.
The weird thing is with putty, when I try to run the command AT^ U2DIAG= 0, always give me back ERROR at wxp 32. ATI command works right, but I never see what I'm typing at putty command window, just the results.
Also, I never get to see the APN, surely because dongle isn't recognized (keeps blinking the red light).

Can you post the output you see from the ATI command ?

That may give more details on exactly what model of modem vodafone have used.

Reactions: sylar666

kenblat

Nov 4, 2010
Indeed like Matchstick said you have to plug the Dongle to see apn settings. At this time you could choose your ISP and even modify directly his default pan settings.

Otherwise, i mean without the dongle plugged, you can create APN but can't save it. I didn't find how and i don't know why.

Already plug USB Dongle (e1750) to my dock... it flash in blue color that mean i'm in 3G zone, but i can't save APN... i think that my e1750 did not recognized by TF101 (but i follow the method step-by-step and another guys can let their e1750 working) It's weird!

Any ideal? Thanks much!

sylar666

Dec 4, 2010
m
Can you post the output you see from the ATI command ?

That may give more details on exactly what model of modem vodafone have used.

Here is my putty outpout, i figured out how to make putty work fine, i had to disable everything related to the dongle, including task manager processes and a lan connection that showed up at windows network manager. Anyway the error is still there
(sorry but is the only way I can post the image, Im very noob at xda, so I cant post a link, just please add the ht.. thing)

img694.imageshack.us/i/img20110708173442.jpg

When I plug in the dongle to the AT, it blinks red, but no APN is working or saved.
As I cant make putty work with the command, the AT file manager shows me an empty Removable device.

Thanks again for all the help

Matchstick

Aug 1, 2008
m

Here is my putty outpout, i figured out how to make putty work fine, i had to disable everything related to the dongle, including task manager processes and a lan connection that showed up at windows network manager. Anyway the error is still there
(sorry but is the only way I can post the image, Im very noob at xda, so I cant post a link, just please add the ht.. thing)

img694.imageshack.us/i/img20110708173442.jpg

When I plug in the dongle to the AT, it blinks red, but no APN is working or saved.
As I cant make putty work with the command, the AT file manager shows me an empty Removable device.

Thanks again for all the help

Thanks for the photo but unfortunately it's not good news.

The output shows that it's the ZTE version of the K3765 rather than the Huawei version and the AT^ U2DIAG command only works on Huawei modems (and not on some of the very modern Huawei ones either).

I don't know what the equivalent for the ZTE modems is (but I'm guessing there probably is one) but I also think the actual patch is only for Huawei modems so unlikely to work even if you can disable any internal CD-ROM/SD Card

sylar666

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks for the photo but unfortunately it's not good news.

The output shows that it's the ZTE version of the K3765 rather than the Huawei version and the AT^ U2DIAG command only works on Huawei modems (and not on some of the very modern Huawei ones either).

I don't know what the equivalent for the ZTE modems is (but I'm guessing there probably is one) but I also think the actual patch is only for Huawei modems so unlikely to work even if you can disable any internal CD-ROM/SD Card

Well, bad luck, thanks a lot for your help. I think I will have to wait for
a compatibility update.
Thanks again.

Tomg58

Mar 5, 2011
Hier mal für die deutschen:

1. Du musst alle Daten von data/apk von deiner Internen SD Karte (Interner Speicher) sichern, weil wir den ganzen internen Speicher bei der Installation löschen. Benutze Titanium Backup.
Vorsicht: Titanium Backup sichert Dateien auf dem internen Speicher.
Verschieben sie deshalb den Titanium Backup Ordner nach der Sicherung auf die Micro SD.
(von /mnt/sdcard/Titatium Backup nach /data/Removable/MicroSD)

2.Downloade NVFlash: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccda97c/n/nvflash.zip

Danach die NVFlash Version von Prime 1.5: http://www.sdx-downloads.com/devs/roach2010/flash_roms/prime_v1.5_nvflash.tar.bz2

3. Entpacke NVFlash und Prime 1.5 im selben Verzeichnis.

4. Verbinde dein Transformer mit deinem PC über USB.
Dann drücke den An/Aus Knopf und halte den Lautstärke runter Knopf.
Der Bildschirm bleibt schwarz aber USB arbeitet und im Gerätemanager ist ein neues Gerät namens APX.

5. Klicke auf das APX Gerät vom Verzeichnis USBPCDriver (enthalten in der NVFlash.zip) um die neuen Treiber zu installieren. Administrator Rechte benötigt.

6. Dann starte Download.bat wenn du Windows hast.
Wenn du Linux hast, die Datei Download.sh

7. Wenn NVFlash zu ende gearbeitet hat, starte dein Transformer neu.
Nach dem Start kommt ein Setup. Wähle bei den drathlosen Verbindungen "3G und Wifi" aus und nicht "nur WLan"!!

8. Downloade Maxh2003 Script:http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=73836 (Für den Download musst du regestriert sein)

Downloade die Patches Datein für das Acer Iconia Tab A500:
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=638588&d=1309189189

9. Entpacke den Script und den Patch im selben Verzeichnis.

10. Verbinde dein Transformer mit deinem PC über USB.
Dann drücke den An/Aus Knopf und halte den Lautstärke runter Knopf.
Der Bildschirm bleibt schwarz. Dann starte die Datei install-TF101.bat .

11. Warte und schaue...

Kompatibel mit:

Dieses Patch sollte mit folgenden Sticks arbeiten:

* ZTE MF 639 (Daten Romaning ausschalten damit es arbeitet)
* Alcatel X225L (thx to urko95)
* Vodafone K3765-H
* Vodafone K3715
* Vodafone K3565 / Huawei E160
* Huawei E156G (thx to sh337 fürs testen)
* Huawei E169
* Huawai E170
* Huawai E171
* Huawei E173
* Huawei E1550
* Huawei E1692
* Huawei E1750
* Huawei E1752
* Huawei E1820
* HUAWEI K3520
* HUAWEI K3565 -Rev 2

Reactions: leonore

FabioRochapt

Jan 28, 2011
Guimarães
Hey guys,

Need some help.

"Then Press Power holding Volume Down (the 2 buttons simultaneously). The Screen stays black but USB works and a NEW device name APX appears in the Device Manager."

Figured this one out myself:

It's not VOLUME DOWN but VOLUME UP! Hope someone corrects it.

Now inside putty after i apply the command AT^U2DIAG=0 i get ERROR. Using the command ATZ before using ATI solved this for me got an OK.

Now trying on the transformer to connect to 3G but dont know about the APN and so.

After configuring the APN works really good.

Thanks everyone for the effort in developing this.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

(First sorry for my very bad english. It's not my natural language but I do my best for sharing with you!)

04/13 - UPDATE: Now 3G works for ICS with some ROMs like Megatron.
    Revolver will be based on TF101G ICS ROM soon.

09/17 - UPDATE:Roach2010 and gnufabio have developped an apk that enable Mobile Network settings (for 3G dongle).
    Their APK change the bootloader. (Read more and download)

So maybe this thread has no purpose except for issues and for the list of compatible dongles. If you have a dongle which work and which is not in the list.....

11/08 - UPDATE: 3G dongle works too with Extension-Kit/TFUSB1 Asus P/N 90-XB2UOKEX00020
    You can find it here: http://shop.asus.fr/shop/fr/fr-FR/Home/1-Produits/1500-Collection-ASUS/1936-Accessoires-Eee-Pad/1937-Accessoires-Transformer-Prime-TF201/90-XB2UOKEX00070-Adaptateur-USB-externe-pour-ASUS-Eee-Pad.aspx (Thanks to ValenteL for information)

Bellow you can find the first post

Thank you,
    Regards.

FIRST POST:

There is probably other ways to make the 3G Dongle working on TF101 but here you can find how we have done.

The follow lines work to have Prime v1.5 installed on your Transformer (works with any version!)
    Then you could upgrade to Revolver 2.1.

Otherwise you can directly nvflash your TF101 with the Revolver 2.5 NVFlashed version of cuckoopt.
    You just have to follow instructions on this post.
    Don't forget to thank him if it works for you
    Note: SetCpu doesn't seem to work. I don't know if the issue is coming from Revolver or HC. By re-installing SetCpu, it works one time then crashes.

A. Prime V1.5 Installation:

1. You have to backup all your data/apk from your Internal SD Card because we will make a clean install. So use your backup software.
    Becareful. if you project to use Titanium Backup, his backup files are on the internal SD Card so afterwards, you have to move it to your MicroSD (from /mnt/sdcard/Titatium Backup to /data/Removable/MicroSD)

2. Download NVFlash: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ccda97c/n/nvflash.zip then the NVFlash version of Prime v1.5: http://www.sdx-downloads.com/devs/roach2010/flash_roms/prime_v1.5_nvflash.tar.bz2
    Updated note: I am not able to activate the Mobile Network option with version 1.6 (even Zip version for ClockWorkMod nor NVFlash version).
    But some people have succesfully activated it by flashing NetFinder 1.5 just after the fresh Install of Prime v1.6 and before rebooting the system ; it means in the same CWM

3. unpack NVFlash and Prime v1.5 in the same directory. The image files of Prime v1.5 should be unpacked into the NVFLashTF folder.

4. Connect your TF101 to your PC via USB. Then hold the volume UP and Power button until a NEW device named "APX" appears in the Device Manager. Note that the screen of the Transformer stays black.

5. Click on the APX to install drivers from directory USBPCDriver (included in NVFlash.zip)
    info: I used Windows XP 32 bits.

6. Then run Download.bat if you are on Windows, download.sh for Linux users

7. When NVFlash is ended, reboot your TF101.
    During boot, there is a setup wizard. Choose connection with "3G and Wifi", not "only Wifi"!!
    At this step, you must have the Mobile Network option in Parameters.

8. Download Maxh2003 Script: http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=73836 (you need to be a register user on Modaco You could find another link some posts after!)
    Download the Patch files for ACER A500 tab: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=638588&d=1309189189

9. Unzip the script and the Patch file in the same directory.

If you want to upgrade to Revolver 2.1 version (HoneyComb 3.2), you must stop here and go to step B (chapter B).
    Otherwise continue chapter A.

10. Connect your TF101 and run install-TF101.bat

11. Mobile Network option is here.

B. REVOLVER 2.1 Installation

1. Do a fresh install of Prime v1.5 NVFlsh version.
    If it's not the case go back to the begin of this post and execute steps A.1 to A.9. then go back to B.2
    2. Download this file
    3. If you read this, Prime v1.5 NVFlash version is installed and you are in CWM Recovery screen.
    Install the Recovery 2.1 version (Full). DON'T WIPE DATA
    4. At the end, just reboot your system and verify that Mobile Network option is still here.
    5. Then we have to install drivers for your dongle (see the list below for compatible dongles).
    Let your TF101 on, connect it to your PC via USB cable and run install-TF101.bat via cmd.exe from Windows (tested under Windows XP x86 and Windows 7 x64)

C. List of COMPATIBLE DONGLES

Note: if your dongle is not in this list, but works with TF101, please tell me. It will be added to the list.

* ZTE MF 639 (might need roaming enabled to get data working)
    * Alcatel X225L (thx to urko95)
    * Vodafone K3765-H
    * Vodafone K3715
    * Vodafone K3565 / Huawei E160
    * Huawei E156G (thx to sh337 for testing)
    * Huawei E160G (thx to htc-hd2. His post)
    * Huawei E161 (thx to zumbik. His post)
    * Huawei E169
    * Huawai E170
    * Huawai E171
    * Huawei E173 (ATTENTION: E173 EVO version NOT COMPATIBLE - thx to sronweb for his tests - Read more)
    * Huawei E180 (thx to ValenteL. His post)
    * Huawei E220 (thx to eyz. Connexion seems to be not stable. Read more)
    * Huawei E270 (thx to eyz. His post)
    * Huawei E1550
    * Huawei E1552
    * Huawei E1692
    * Huawei E1750
    * Huawei E1752
    * Huawei E1762 (thx to bennyyen. His post)
    * Huawei E1820
    * Huawei E1823 (Thx to bswpt. His post)
    * Huawei E2010 (Thx to madangryscientis. His post)
    * HUAWEI K3520
    * HUAWEI K3565 -Rev 2

D. About LED on HUAWEI 3G Dongle:[/B]
    The LED indicator displays the current connection status of your Orange E1752 dongle, with each colour representing a different status:

When the LED displays green and is blinking twice every three seconds, this means that the dongle is powered on.
    When the LED displays green and is blinking once every three seconds, this means that the dongle is attempting to register onto a 2G network.
    When the LED displays blue and is blinking once every three seconds, this means that the dongle is attempting to register onto a 3G network.
    When the LED displays solid green, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 2G network.
    When the LED displays solid blue, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 3G network.
    When the LED displays solid cyan, this means that the dongle is connected onto a 3G+ network
    When the LED displays no colour, this means that the dongle is removed.

And dont forget to turn off the composite device of the 3G dongle.

Here how to do (thanks to Matchstick from Modaco who wrote these lines):
    You can test this by plugging the stick into a PC and seeing if it detects the modem as a CD or Memory stick device as well as a modem.

If it does then the method I used to turn off the composite device (on Windows 7) was:

1) Install the software and drivers for the modem under windows and make sure that the connection software sees the modem correctly.
    2) Go to Settings/Control Panel/Device Manager and if you expand the Modems section you should see your USB modem listed there
    3) Double click on the entry for the modem to get the properties panel up and selected the Modem tab
    4) You should see a line at the very top of the tab that says something like Port: COM11 - This is the virtual serial port that the PC uses to talk to the modem which we're going to use to send the command to turn off all the stuff we don't want.
    5) Next we want to install a serial console application. PuTTY is perfect for this. If you don't have a copy you can get if from here,
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
    6) Run putty, select Serial under Connection Typem and enter the port we found in step 4 (eg COM11) into the box marked Serial Line and press the Open button
    7) An empty window should pop up, which if things are working correctly is connected to the Modem
    8) Type "ATI" into the window (without the quotes) and press return. The ATI command asks the modem for basic information and it should respond with something like
    Manufacturer: huawei
    Model: E1752
    Revision: 11.126.03.01.314
    IMEI: 123456789012345
    +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK
    9) If you see this then you are connected correctly, if you don't see a response try physicaly unplugging and reconnecting the modem into a different USB port and start again from step 2 after windows has loaded the drivers for the modem.
    10) Assuming everything is OK, the we can send the command to turn off the stuff we don't want. To do this simply type "AT^U2DIAG=0" (again without quotes) into the putty window. you should see the response OK.
    11) If you do then the composite device features should now be turned off and you are ready to try the modem in your transformer.

Remerciements/Thanks to AndroidRoot.mobi for NVFlash, Paul for Prime!, Maxh2003 for his script and help, Matchstick for his help, Dexter_nlb for his A500 patch and, of course, all our developers and users who help us.
    Here it is guys
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QKA9UA1

1st of all download and extract it
    oh... dont forget to backup your apps if u want (using something like titaniumbackup)

So here is the how to install the rom:

1- Connect your TF101 to your PC via USB. Then hold the volume UP and Power button until a NEW device named "APX" appears in the Device Manager. Note that the screen of the Transformer stays black.

2- Click on the APX to install drivers from directory USBPCDriver (included on the downloaded files)

3- Pun the runme.bat that is inside of the folder

if u want to backup the rom files continue this steps, if u dont jump to step 7
    4- Select the Backup option

5- Select the Rom Files option
    It will backup the files related to the rom, if u wanna backup media this way, just start over the step 1 and choose Media Files instead of Rom Files on this step​

6- Put your TF101 in APX mod again (hold the volume UP and Power button a few seconds)​

7- Select the Install Revolver 2.5 option

8- Wait till the installation its done and the TF101 reboot

9- Configure your TF101 after his first boot (Dont forget to select Mobile Network + WiFi)

10- Make sure u havel Asus Sync and running on your pc, if u dont download it here http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/#download (its under Utilities)

11- Make sure u have USB debugging checked on ur TF101 (ist under Settings > Applications > Development)

12- Then open Asus Sync on your TF101 (there is an icon on the "status bar" of the asus sync that appears when you are connected with the usb)
    Make sure it's synced with your PC, if it isnt u will have to keep trying​

13- Finally Back to your PC, inside the runme.bat go to the Install option

14- Then go to the Install 3g script option

15- When it completes just reboot the TF101, configure the APN and thats it!!

This works his based on all former devs of this thread had made, if u like it, support and thanx them!
    to kasimodo
    Could you upload Maxh2003's scrift file here. I can't download it from your link.
    Thanks

Here the file.
    Regards
    yes its working fine with the nvflash-version from cookopt. and its very easy.
    there is no need to install the 3G-enabler with his flash-programm.
    perhaps you make a link it at your first post.
    Indeed I will add it. (His nickname is cuckoopt)
    he is also working at dualboot for android and ubuntu.
    thanks Kasimodo for your thread. without this, i was not able to get 3G .
    So don't forget to click the THANK button ;-)
    Managed to get a 8 digit pin get passed it by using the unlock method found online. That's a device unlock Pin. However, I am still getting the blinking blue led. Will try it again tomorrow when I get my dock fully charged.

You just have to use your SIM into your phone and unlock PIN. Then just add your SIM card in your 3G Dongle and it must work. not?