[Q] HTC One M8 SD card

Search This thread

Spoorman88

Aug 25, 2012
Melbourne
Hi All,

I went and looked at the HTC One M8 today and was very very impressed. Looking to uograde from an s4 to the M8.

The salesmen said something interesting though and after a little research I am concerned.

He said that 3rd party apps will not be able to access the sd card at all. I know there have been conplaints about this in regards to KitKat.

As I live in Australia all the plans have horribly low data so cloud really isnt an option here, especially to store music and video.

I was just wondering if this were true? Are they able to be installed on the sd? are they able to write to sd?

Thanks for any advice

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
Hi All,

I went and looked at the HTC One M8 today and was very very impressed. Looking to uograde from an s4 to the M8.

The salesmen said something interesting though and after a little research I am concerned.

He said that 3rd party apps will not be able to access the sd card at all. I know there have been conplaints about this in regards to KitKat.

As I live in Australia all the plans have horribly low data so cloud really isnt an option here, especially to store music and video.

I was just wondering if this were true? Are they able to be installed on the sd? are they able to write to sd?

Thanks for any advice

Just tried and yes you can but I am rooted don't know if that's why it moved

ianford10

May 22, 2010
It's a new security feature of Kit Kat, stops apps from having full read/write access to the whole sd card. The developers just need to update there apps to resolve the issue. I had the same problem moving files across but came across the answer in another thread on here.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: smeogle

P4ULM4C

Jul 2, 2012
Middlesbrough
I have just got a HTC one m8 it's not rooted(yet) I can save photos to the sd card but cant copy from internal to it. I can't even create a folder in the ext sd card where is the stock file manager I can only see Polaris if that's what it's called If I try to copy a file in that app it will not even show the ext sd card. Help any one

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
I have just got a HTC one m8 it's not rooted(yet) I can save photos to the sd card but cant copy from internal to it. I can't even create a folder in the ext sd card where is the stock file manager I can only see Polaris if that's what it's called If I try to copy a file in that app it will not even show the ext sd card. Help any one

root it..

calinormy

Jul 18, 2008
This is a feature of google kitkat 4.4.2. Anyway is supposed to work with default file manager. If not, you need to root and instal Sdfix from play store.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

"Feature"

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Root and install SDFix from playstore or root it and flash a custom ROM. AFAIK all the custom roms have that fixed by default now without having to install an app.

Rouz.

Jun 1, 2010
XDA
Root and install SDFix from playstore or root it and flash a custom ROM. AFAIK all the custom roms have that fixed by default now without having to install an app.

I tried the SDFix on stock rooted rom, but titanium backup still cant write on SD card. (It says: this folder is not writable) i even tried modifying system/etc/permissions/platform.xml manually but still no luck.

Is it an issue with titanium backup, or am i doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bentez2003

Nov 26, 2009
You need to flash a custom kernel with system write protection turned off then you can use something like SDfix or foldermount to enable writing to the external SD for all apps

Try Elemental kernel, it worked for me.

Reactions: Rouz.

stuart0001

Jan 9, 2011
Hampton
Stock and rooted here and sdfix worked fine. Titanium and all other apps write to SD fine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

charly-whiskey

Jan 8, 2009
Soest
www.cwgc.de
You need to flash a custom kernel with system write protection turned off then you can use something like SDfix or foldermount to enable writing to the external SD for all apps

No, not true! I am on stock rom / kernel, just rooted and SDFix installed, and Titanium and all other apps read /write on extSD. No custom kernel requied!

DJKiiDz

Oct 7, 2013
Tried using the SDFix. Checked the permission.xml file. The changes has been made. However, once restarted the phone, changes have been revoked.

Using stock rom/kernel, rooted. Still no luck...seriously wtf.

Dehypnotizer

Mar 28, 2011
Workaround for storing/modifying files on SD card

Hey guys,

I'm myself in shock what Google did in KitKat - that's just pure stupidity.

However, I'd like to share with you a simple hint on how to actually make use of SD card, using tTorrent as an example.
As you know, it is no longer possible to select a directory on SD card to store downloaded data - apps no longer have permissions, including file browser in Polaris Office. Well... it is not entirely true.
Let's say you want to select a directory on SD card, so tTorrent has as much space as big your SD card is.
All you have to do is to select a directory which your app has an access to.
What's the directory? It's the directory of particular app:
/storage/ext_sd/Android/>>your app's directory<<

In particular case of tTorrent that would be:
/storage/ext_sd/Android/hu.tagsoft.ttorrent.lite/

That's all. If you select above path in tTorrent, tTorrent will have a full access within it, so it can create/modify/delete files in this directory.

The same rule applies to any other apps - all you have to do is to select your app's directory/put files in it and your app will be able to fiddle with these files, inside its directory on SD card.

I know it is not as elegant solution as rooting device and modifying /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file, but at least it's something.

Have fun, folks, and let's wait for an update from crazy Google - I heard that they are receiving tons of complaints about this "security feature" which I personally call simply a bug.

Reactions: Rouz.

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011
So that's the problem with KitKat?? For example I couldn't unpack zip on sd card, I had to unpack it to the internal memory. Since m8 hasn't default explorer, is there any explorer that doesn't have this issue, or I strictly have to root it??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's a new security feature of Kit Kat, stops apps from having full read/write access to the whole sd card. The developers just need to update there apps to resolve the issue. I had the same problem moving files across but came across the answer in another thread on here.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Workaround for storing/modifying files on SD card

Hey guys,

I'm myself in shock what Google did in KitKat - that's just pure stupidity.

However, I'd like to share with you a simple hint on how to actually make use of SD card, using tTorrent as an example.
    As you know, it is no longer possible to select a directory on SD card to store downloaded data - apps no longer have permissions, including file browser in Polaris Office. Well... it is not entirely true.
    Let's say you want to select a directory on SD card, so tTorrent has as much space as big your SD card is.
    All you have to do is to select a directory which your app has an access to.
    What's the directory? It's the directory of particular app:
    /storage/ext_sd/Android/>>your app's directory<<

In particular case of tTorrent that would be:
    /storage/ext_sd/Android/hu.tagsoft.ttorrent.lite/

That's all. If you select above path in tTorrent, tTorrent will have a full access within it, so it can create/modify/delete files in this directory.

The same rule applies to any other apps - all you have to do is to select your app's directory/put files in it and your app will be able to fiddle with these files, inside its directory on SD card.

I know it is not as elegant solution as rooting device and modifying /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file, but at least it's something.

Have fun, folks, and let's wait for an update from crazy Google - I heard that they are receiving tons of complaints about this "security feature" which I personally call simply a bug.
    First of all, Fx File Explorer (from NextApp) has an experimental option "KitKat SD workaround". I never tried it, as I rooted the phone and don't need this anymore. Other file managers might implement this workaround as well.

EDIT: I just tried undoing the "fix" and then using this workaround and it doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, if you want to fix this, you first need to root the phone, and then you must disable the system write protection enforced by the kernel, otherwise the changes to the system file which is changed to fix this are restored on every reboot. You either need a custom kernel or just install this module to the stock kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701816

I am not sure whether S-OFF disables the write protection, but I am sure that it couldn't fix this until I installed the kernel module I linked.

Good luck! :good: