[MOD][Xposed][PGP][Security] Android Email PGP Support

Search This thread

LucasR93

May 21, 2010
Hamburg
Android Email PGP

feature_graphic_klein.png

Summary
This Xposed module aims at adding PGP support to the native android email client.

Introduction
I started creating this module because I started using PGP in my daily mail exchange with some friends and colleagues, but I was unsatisfied with the support of PGP in Android. There is K9-Mail and an addon, but I really like the native Android email app more, so I started working on this.
I tested this app on CM11 (Android 4.4.4) and the native installed email application. Samsung/HTC email clients won't work.

Download
Download it straight from Xposed Repository

Source
Find the source on github.com - Feel free to contribute

Features
  • Import your keys (private & public) into the app
  • Decrypt encrypted messages
  • English and German translation

Current limitations
  • You may only import keys by opening an *.asc file from anywhere on the device (Dropbox etc. work as well) by choosing to open the file with my app

Bugs
  • Headerviews in the emails get added multiple times sometimes

XDA:DevDB Information
Email PGP, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
LucasR93
Xposed Package Name: com.lr.androidemailpgp

Version Information

Created 2014-08-25
Last Updated 2014-08-25

LucasR93

May 21, 2010
Hamburg
Reserved

Added screenshots

Attachments

• device-2014-08-25-205805_framed.png
    device-2014-08-25-205805_framed.png
    218.5 KB · Views: 880
  • device-2014-08-25-205829_framed.png
    device-2014-08-25-205829_framed.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 842
  • device-2014-08-25-210014_framed.png
    device-2014-08-25-210014_framed.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 828
  • device-2014-08-25-210052_framed.png
    device-2014-08-25-210052_framed.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:

jamesandruth

Jan 10, 2011
Great Idea!

This is a great idea, and a good way to implement it. Thanks for thinking of it. I look forward to using this..

NYLimited

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
This Xposed module aims at adding PGP support to the native android email client.

Sadly I don't see a lot of activity here although the idea has a lot of merit in this day and age.

I suspect that a lot if heavy mail users are using POP3 or I'LL clients, such as K-9, Kaiten and a few others. Some already have the ability to work with APG which has been around for a while but not much us happening with it.

A true, well working PGP client would be nice to see.

---
* Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

LucasR93

May 21, 2010
Hamburg
Thank you, I think the limited feature set is the problem here - I am working on implementing open keychain for faster development progress as I do not need to handle all the PGP related stuff myself..

Sadly I don't see a lot of activity here although the idea has a lot of merit in this day and age.

I suspect that a lot if heavy mail users are using POP3 or I'LL clients, such as K-9, Kaiten and a few others. Some already have the ability to work with APG which has been around for a while but not much us happening with it.

---
* Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

LucasR93

May 21, 2010
Hamburg
Any news? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a gmail update.

No news for now, at least nothing interesting. I decompiled the gmail 5 apk, but it is obviously obfuscated.. That means all the classes are only named a.java, b.java,...
That makes it extremely hard to understand the logic of the app and it's source and to find the interesting points to add method hooks. I need much more time to look into this and to understand it..

But like you I really want to have it working in the current gmail apk..

Reactions: mraacidd

BySteven

Aug 20, 2009
Doesn't work (CM11, Android 4.4.4)

Hi,

I really would like it to work, but it doesn't:
- cannot open settings
- can only import public keys, secret keys will not be displayed in the list altgough they should work (single key as asc)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android Email PGP

feature_graphic_klein.png

Summary

Introduction
    I started creating this module because I started using PGP in my daily mail exchange with some friends and colleagues, but I was unsatisfied with the support of PGP in Android. There is K9-Mail and an addon, but I really like the native Android email app more, so I started working on this.
    I tested this app on CM11 (Android 4.4.4) and the native installed email application. Samsung/HTC email clients won't work.

Download
    Download it straight from Xposed Repository

Source
    Find the source on github.com - Feel free to contribute

Features
    • Import your keys (private & public) into the app
    • Decrypt encrypted messages
    • English and German translation

Current limitations
    • You may only import keys by opening an *.asc file from anywhere on the device (Dropbox etc. work as well) by choosing to open the file with my app

Bugs
    • Headerviews in the emails get added multiple times sometimes

XDA:DevDB Information
    Email PGP, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    LucasR93
    Xposed Package Name: com.lr.androidemailpgp

Version Information

Created 2014-08-25
    Last Updated 2014-08-25
    Thank you, I think the limited feature set is the problem here - I am working on implementing open keychain for faster development progress as I do not need to handle all the PGP related stuff myself..

---
    more encryption by everyone is more better

Was this in part inspired by webPG.org ?
    (not those nefarious rascals acting as keymaster and gatekeeper)

IMAP is my druthers (when both server side searching and filtering is available). Let POP die.
    Any news? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a gmail update.

No news for now, at least nothing interesting. I decompiled the gmail 5 apk, but it is obviously obfuscated.. That means all the classes are only named a.java, b.java,...
    That makes it extremely hard to understand the logic of the app and it's source and to find the interesting points to add method hooks. I need much more time to look into this and to understand it..

But like you I really want to have it working in the current gmail apk..