After Flashing my SGS2 100's of times, it's now a paperweight

Search This thread

budco2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tampa, Florida
ok, maybe not 100's of times but my bootloader showed 52 last time i flashed. Not sure what happened, but something went wrong. My phone only shows a picture of a phone, with a yellow triangle, and a picture of a computer. Under that it says firmware failed, and under that it says try recovery mode. Download mode, and recovery mode shows the the same screen described as above, and odin does not see phone. I left the battery out over night, and this morning, the same screen, and odin still don't see the phone. I know all the key combos to get into recovery or download mode, and neither works.

chijiora

Aug 5, 2009
I had similar problem and resolved mine by removing the battery, reinserting it and holding down volume down and home keys while powering on (download mode). Then I connected phone to pc via usb and used odin to flash kernel. Hope that works for you.

Intratech

Jun 15, 2009
London
Bah, just take out battery and put it back in and go to download mode and flash the firmware with Odin.

guy73

Feb 27, 2006
is it related with the limitation write of the NAND flash? quite worry about it..any idea?

hansonator

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary
You only need a jig if you can't get into download mode. Though from what I've read on here might be good to have to reset the flash counter.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Does the number of times flashed has anything to do with the failure? Is there a limit after which the hardware gets weaker?

jackleung

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 10, 2005
USA
Believe me. Most rom chefs or developers in here flash at least 500+ times (if they tested their product) and I don't think they have issue. (I flash my X1 at least a 1000+ times when I was a rom chef and it's still working great now)

Flash memory does have a life span on number or Read/write. But I doubt anyone here can reach that limit with 3+ yrs (by that time, you will probably get another phone).

Last edited:

on2a

Aug 5, 2010
Agreed its unlikely that 50 odd our even a few hundred rom flashes should damage your nand memory. Unless it was faulty in the first place

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

mostyle

Nov 13, 2006
Langley, SC
This problem..

..Was notorious on the Captivate. We lovingly referred to it "Phone ! Computer" screen.

The good news.. If you see this screen the level 1 boot loader is fine and you are only soft bricked.

If you ever plug in the phone to a power source with it turned off and you see nothing then you're screwed.

Same scenario as when you plug in a JiG and nothing happens.

budco2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I did try this before your reply and no go, I tried again today, got the same screen, however Odin and kies, both saw the phone, went back to stock then back to cognition 1.31. My captivate, inspire, and infuse ive flashed over and over and over and never bricked a phone until my S2. It's back up and going strong now. Now im afraid to flash it again. This is best phone ever and im keeping it until the S3 comes out, so im trying to not render my S2 useless yet lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
For days, odin and kies didn't see phone no matter what I did. I'm not a developer, but I'm nowhere close to a rookie either. What ever happen was a hoax, because clockwork and download mode works as it should again. Next update for cognition i'll flash, i doubt anything will happen.
**** happens. Flashes go right 99.9% of the time when you do everything right. You just hit that 0.1% where something went wrong during the flash.

Top Liked Posts