[Installer] SMACKME 2.1 (kexec or moboot, native Linux or Android - with recovery!)

Search This thread

castrwilliam

Dec 15, 2011
Phoenix
SmackMe 2.1 Installer
Read the whole post before doing anything.

Sorry this has been so long in the making. It underwent several rewrites and design changes.

SmackMe now supports recovery - individual recoveries will be installed along with kexec kernels - don't worry about the graphical corruption.

Supported Android Files:
  • Android 2.2: Froyo-*.zip|froyo-*.zip
  • Android 2.3 / CM7.1: update-cm-7*.zip|update-cm7*.zip|cm-7*.zip
  • Android 4.0 / CM9: update-cm-9*.zip|cm-9*.zip|update-cm9*.zip
  • Android 4.1 / CM10: cm-10*.zip|update-cm-10*.zip|update-cm10*.zip
  • Android 4.2: Evervolv-*.zip|evervolv-*.zip
  • Google Apps for Android: gapps-*.zip

Supported native-Linux Files:
  • Ubuntu: TouchPadBuntuRootfs*.tar.gz|TouchPadBuntuRootfs*.tgz
  • Split Ubuntu: TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210*.tar.gz.[123]|TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210*.tgz.[123]
  • Arch Linux ARM (untested but should work): ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tar.gz|ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tgz
  • Split Arch Linux: ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tar.gz.[1-4]|ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tgz.[1-4]
  • Debian (which fell off the face of the Earth, apparently, so also might not work): bodhi-touchpad-*.tar.gz|bodhi-touchpad-*.tgz
  • Split Debian: bodhi-touchpad-*.tar.gz.[123]|bodhi-touchpad-*.tgz.[123]
  • Fedora (ported by me, will release this month): HPTPFedora*.tar.gz|HPTPFedora*.tar.gz
  • Split Fedora: HPTPFedora*.tar.gz.[123]|HPTPFedora*.tar.gz.[123]
  • Slackware (ported by me): HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz|HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz
  • Split Slackware: HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz.[123]|HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz.[123]

Supported Miscellaneous Files:
  • uImage files: uImage.*
  • kexec kernel tarchives: kexec-*.tar
  • moboot (0.3.5, 0.3.8 tested only): moboot*.zip

You will need:
  • Computer with the HP webOS SDK installed, including Novacom and Novaterm.
  • A TouchPad (which I will refer to as HPTP)
  • All your files to install.
  • Patience. An install of the whole shebang on my 32GB test unit took almost 40 minutes.

Instructions for use:
  1. Create a directory in the USB storage of your HPTP with the name "sminstall".
  2. Copy all the files you want to install from your PC (refer to the lists above) into that directory.
  3. Boot your HPTP into recovery mode.
  4. Run the following command in your Terminal or Command Prompt:
    Code:
    novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2
You should see the USB logo get replaced by the HP logo, then two Tuxes (Linux's mascot, the penguin - one for each CPU coer on the SoC) and scrolling text. Wait for the tablet to reboot to moboot. If you encounter any issues, please remember that I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, but I will certainly do my utmost to fix anything that I made. It is unlikely to brick your TouchPad using either this installer or ACME Installer. The worst that can theoretically happen is the "www.palm.com/ROM" screen, which IS NOT a brick, and IS EASILY FIXABLE.

DOWNLOADS
The main installer (what you feed into Novacom):
uImage.SmackMe2 - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2T1k5THhKNmNPVEk/edit?usp=sharing
Buiidables for the main installer: http://www.mediafire.com/?it96af7fvp39l9c
To use kexec for any OS, you need both "uImage.kexec" and the "kexec-<OSNAME>.tar" files.
MAIN FILE (uImage.kexec): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2RHJoNE93c2dVRlU/edit?usp=sharing
Android 2.2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2d2cwQlBtVVd4aGM/edit?usp=sharing
Android 2.3: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2UGtETzBwNnNvckU/edit?usp=sharing
Android 4.0: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2UDc2cVZ2TjBWM2s/edit?usp=sharing
Android 4.1: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2d3g0U3p6c0l4NFk/edit?usp=sharing
Android 4.2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2dlFzcFBacThSVXc/edit?usp=sharing

Ubuntu 12.10 final: http://www.mediafire.com/?uowhfd1sx1pppoa
Ubuntu 13.04: kexec kernel already included in the rootfs, DO NOT try to extract the 12.10 one on top!
Arch Linux: coming soon
Slackware: http://www.mediafire.com/?8kow2lrwnamuui1
Fedora: coming soon

Attachments

• 67405_2795287099408_592495895_n.jpg
    67405_2795287099408_592495895_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,856
  • 20130204_040244.jpg
    20130204_040244.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 3,459
  • CameraZOOM-20130516134526680.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20130516134526680.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 2,449
Last edited:

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
dude amazing work really love to get all of this working

:crying:
Slackware: coming soon

Last edited:
Reactions: blmvxer

castrwilliam

Dec 15, 2011
Phoenix
:crying:
Slackware: coming soon

Detailed status:

Arch Linux should be easy once I fit the (LZMA'd) kernel+ramdisk under the 4MB limit.
Slackware is practically done-de-done-done but I have to remove some personal settings and make X launch by default.
Fedora is the farthest back, I haven't even yet compiled ts_srv for it.

Remolten

Mar 11, 2012
So this installer creates the kexec<OS>files.tar from the roms that you supply it? Or are you simply stuck with the ones you provided?

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
sounds great man i have 32gig tp for testing let me know

castrwilliam;37601915]Detailed status:

Arch Linux should be easy once I fit the (LZMA'd) kernel+ramdisk under the 4MB limit.
Slackware is practically done-de-done-done but I have to remove some personal settings and make X launch by default.
Fedora is the farthest back, I haven't even yet compiled ts_srv for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: castrwilliam

castrwilliam

Dec 15, 2011
Phoenix
The kexec-<OS> files are documented inside the ramdisk on the init script, I forgot to copy that documentation here. Nothing really strange has to be done to make them, but since it requires the might of a desktop PC to compile the kernel, I thought it'd be good to include the ones I've made so far.

(from /etc/scripts/kernel.sh of the ramdisk of SmackMe)
# install_kexec:
# $1: kexec tarchive
#
# these tarchives are always uncompressed and contain the following files:
# vmlinuz-<name> = the zImage to boot
# initrd.img-<name> = the initrd to boot
# boot.cfg = kexecboot boot.cfg file.
# smackme.cfg = installation parameters:
# - ROOTDEV=/dev/store/<lvname> the root device to install this on.

Basically, you need to recompile the (2.6.35 only) kernel with the patch from my kexec post, and use the zImage (NOT THE uImage) as vmlinuz-whatever. Then, you need to extract the old uImage from the same OS with uimage-extract from the moboot distribution. Use the "ramdisk.img" that is created in your current directory as "initrd.img-<name.>

Then, create a kexecboot config file of the form:

Code:
LABEL=<what shows up on the boot menu>
KERNEL=<what you named the kernel>
INITRD=<what you named the initrd>
APPEND=root=/dev/ram0

and save it as "boot.cfg".

Lastly, make a one-line smackme config file named smackme.cfg. ROOTDEV depends on what LVM volume you want SmackMe to store the kernel on. List:
Android 2.2: /dev/store/android22-system
Android 2.3: /dev/store/android23-system
Android 4.0: /dev/store/android40-system
Android 4.1: /dev/store/android41-system
Android 4.2*: /dev/store/android42-system
Ubuntu: /dev/store/ubuntu-root
Slackware*: /dev/store/slackware-root
Fedora*: /dev/store/fedora-root
Arch*: /dev/store/arch-root
Debian*: /dev/store/debian-root (or possibly bodhi-root, idk)
* means the tarchive for that OS hasn't been posted on my first post yet.

Lastly, put the four files (vmlinuz, initrd, boot.cfg and smackme.cfg) in an empty folder and do:
tar -czf ../kexec-<name>.tar *
Move it to the sminstall dir on the HPTP and run SmackMe to test.

Summary (ubuntu 12.10 host AND guest with the CodeSourcery toolchain in $PATH used as an example):
Code:
#setup
mkdir work
mv <PATH_TO_KEXEC_PATCH> work
mv <NORMAL_UBUNTU_KERNEL_UIMAGE> work
cd work

# compile kernel
git clone git://github.com/BodenM/ubuntu-kernel-tenderloin
cd ubuntu-kernel-tenderloin
patch -p2 < ../decomp-copy-atags.diff
export ARCH=arm 
export CC=arm-eabi-gcc
make tenderloin_defconfig
make -j8 zImage
cd .

# extract ramdisk
git clone git://github.com/jcsullins/moboot
cd moboot/tools
gcc -lz -o uimage-extract uimage-extract.c
cd ../..
uimage-extract uImage.Ubuntu

#make boot.cfg file
echo 'LABEL=Ubuntu 12.10 final' > boot.cfg
echo 'KERNEL=vmlinuz-2.6.35-ubuntu' >> boot.cfg
echo 'INITRD=initrd.img-2.6.35-ubuntu' >> boot.cfg
echo 'APPEND=root=/dev/ram0' >> boot.cfg

#make smackme.cfg file
echo 'ROOTDEV=/dev/store/ubuntu-root' > smackme.cfg

#generate kexec tarchive
mkdir kexec
mv hp-kernel-tenderloin-ubuntu/arch/arm/boot/zImage kexec/vmlinuz-2.6.35-ubuntu
mv ramdisk.img kexec/initrd.img-2.6.35-ubuntu
mv *.cfg kexec/
cd kexec
tar -czf ../kexec-ubuntu.tar *

BTW, the kexec package is only half the story, you still need to copy the rootfs tarfile (native) or zip file and gapps (Android).

Reactions: waynekirby

viper3two

Nov 20, 2008
It worked but....when I get to Kexecboot I can't select anything? The up/down vol key works but the home button will not....
n/m....figured it out its the power button instead of home.....:) working good!

Last edited:

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
Re: [Installer] SMACKME 2.0 (kexec or moboot, native Linux or Android)

Does your version of Ubuntu contain the same bugs as the Ubuntu already posted in the forums?, and if I may ask what bugs are in your other Linux ports?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

castrwilliam

Dec 15, 2011
Phoenix
My version of Ubuntu has audio and usability enhancements, as well as being lean/mean and faster due to the armhf architecture.

It's available near the end of the Ubuntu thread, make sure you get 12.10, "Final" and not "Beta".

In fact, I haven't tested my Ubuntu kexec tarchive with anyone else's implementation. Feel free to try and respond back with 11.10 or 12.04, or even my 12.10 beta.

Everyone, Slackware should be up by the time you read this post.

Reactions: Sl@nzer and blmvxer

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
Little help please just in case is this right

just to make it clear for us dummies out here

novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2 thats it right?

Last edited:

kyzerdroid

Feb 6, 2013
Re: [Installer] SMACKME 2.0 (kexec or moboot, native Linux or Android)

Hey castrwilliam nice job
I have a question. I already have cm10 and webos installed and want to get ubuntu 12.10. But i always had a problem with kernel panic error. So i came across your recent post. Can i just follow your instructins for ubuntu or do i have to install the rest too? I already have the moboot installed. Thanks for your response

sent from my hp touchpad 32gb dual boot CM10

viper3two

Nov 20, 2008
netkillercat
This is how I did it and it worked just fine:

In my sminstall folder on the TP I had: moboot_0.3.5.zip, uImage.kexec, kexec-ubuntu.tar, and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.

I ran novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2, and let it run. Took probably 15 mins at least.

Rebooted, chose kexec, chose Ubuntu, all working ok....

Reactions: netkillercat

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
i did move kexec and ubunt uimage to boot

netkillercat
This is how I did it and it worked just fine:

In my sminstall folder on the TP I had: moboot_0.3.5.zip, uImage.kexec, kexec-ubuntu.tar, and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.

I ran novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2, and let it run. Took probably 15 mins at least.

Rebooted, chose kexec, chose Ubuntu, all working ok....

thank you for you for answer

Last edited:

castrwilliam

Dec 15, 2011
Phoenix
You're adding files that aren't concatenated yet. (hence the .1, .2. and .3 extensions.) This is what you need to do. I'm assuming you're going to be doing this on the same, Windows computer...

Code:
copy TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.1+TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.2+TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.3 TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
copy HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz.1+HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz.2+HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz.3 HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz

Transfer the HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz files to the TouchPad's sminstall folder, and delete the .1, .2, and .3 files.

Re-run SmackMe. You shouldn't need to redoctor your TP, assuming you didn't create any cm-* LVMs (e.g. by running normal ACME).

By the way, a few hints about my installer:

• It saves a log in the sminstall folder if you want to find out what went right or wrong
  • It NEVER deletes original installation files. It will move them to either "invalid" or "finished" under the sminstall folder, and after you are satisfied with your installation, you can delete them.
  • It will soon be updated with support for concatenating archives during installation (which would make it work when you put in the .1,.2,.3 files.
  • I will also add recovery kernels to the kexec packages, and once I have the method for modding them, I will document it. It is likely to be more involved than what can be done by the installer itself, but if it isn't, I will add hotpatch support for uImage recoveries like it does with Android normal uImages.

Reactions: Stryeguy

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
roger that i see lol

You're adding files that aren't concatenated yet. (hence the .1, .2. and .3 extensions.) This is what you need to do. I'm assuming you're going to be doing this on the same, Windows computer...

Code:
copy TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.1+TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.2+TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz.3 TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz
copy HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz.1+HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz.2+HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz.3 HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz

Transfer the HPTPSlackware14test1.tar.gz and TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210v2.tar.gz files to the TouchPad's sminstall folder, and delete the .1, .2, and .3 files.

Re-run SmackMe. You shouldn't need to redoctor your TP, assuming you didn't create any cm-* LVMs (e.g. by running normal ACME).

By the way, a few hints about my installer:

• It saves a log in the sminstall folder if you want to find out what went right or wrong
  • It NEVER deletes original installation files. It will move them to either "invalid" or "finished" under the sminstall folder, and after you are satisfied with your installation, you can delete them.
  • It will soon be updated with support for concatenating archives during installation (which would make it work when you put in the .1,.2,.3 files.
  • I will also add recovery kernels to the kexec packages, and once I have the method for modding them, I will document it. It is likely to be more involved than what can be done by the installer itself, but if it isn't, I will add hotpatch support for uImage recoveries like it does with Android normal uImages.
thank you for all your work and your patient with dummies like me asking duh questions lol

well i tried again and got slack installed did not install but it did take up space and i see cm9 in moboot wont boot
cm10 dos not show up in moboot and ubuntu dont show in kexec menu
so thats it after runing it several time all i got was moboot kexce and slack on kexce menu

Last edited:

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
dam it

got ubuntu and slack installed android is on moboot but wont boot still happy to have slack and ubuntu working kexec is working now for me but no android

i did a lvm lvscan and i see it did not make partitions for android so i guess no harm was done

i removed android from boot folder

ACTIVE '/dev/store/root' [568.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/var' [64.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/update' [16.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/log' [24.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/mojodb' [256.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/filecache' [136.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/media' [22.52 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/swap' [512.00 MB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/slackware-root' [2.00 GB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/store/ubuntu-root' [3.00 GB] inherit

Last edited:

netkillercat

Oct 31, 2010
now that i have ubuntu and slack

im good till a get back to a pc

so ubuntu and slack are installed and working

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SmackMe 2.1 Installer
    Read the whole post before doing anything.

Sorry this has been so long in the making. It underwent several rewrites and design changes.

SmackMe now supports recovery - individual recoveries will be installed along with kexec kernels - don't worry about the graphical corruption.

Supported Android Files:
    • Android 2.2: Froyo-*.zip|froyo-*.zip
    • Android 2.3 / CM7.1: update-cm-7*.zip|update-cm7*.zip|cm-7*.zip
    • Android 4.0 / CM9: update-cm-9*.zip|cm-9*.zip|update-cm9*.zip
    • Android 4.1 / CM10: cm-10*.zip|update-cm-10*.zip|update-cm10*.zip
    • Android 4.2: Evervolv-*.zip|evervolv-*.zip
    • Google Apps for Android: gapps-*.zip

Supported native-Linux Files:
    • Ubuntu: TouchPadBuntuRootfs*.tar.gz|TouchPadBuntuRootfs*.tgz
    • Split Ubuntu: TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210*.tar.gz.[123]|TouchPadBuntuRootfs1210*.tgz.[123]
    • Arch Linux ARM (untested but should work): ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tar.gz|ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tgz
    • Split Arch Linux: ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tar.gz.[1-4]|ArchLinuxARM-touchpad*.tgz.[1-4]
    • Debian (which fell off the face of the Earth, apparently, so also might not work): bodhi-touchpad-*.tar.gz|bodhi-touchpad-*.tgz
    • Split Debian: bodhi-touchpad-*.tar.gz.[123]|bodhi-touchpad-*.tgz.[123]
    • Fedora (ported by me, will release this month): HPTPFedora*.tar.gz|HPTPFedora*.tar.gz
    • Split Fedora: HPTPFedora*.tar.gz.[123]|HPTPFedora*.tar.gz.[123]
    • Slackware (ported by me): HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz|HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz
    • Split Slackware: HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz.[123]|HPTPSlackware*.tar.gz.[123]

Supported Miscellaneous Files:
    • uImage files: uImage.*
    • kexec kernel tarchives: kexec-*.tar
    • moboot (0.3.5, 0.3.8 tested only): moboot*.zip

You will need:
    • Computer with the HP webOS SDK installed, including Novacom and Novaterm.
    • A TouchPad (which I will refer to as HPTP)
    • All your files to install.
    • Patience. An install of the whole shebang on my 32GB test unit took almost 40 minutes.

Instructions for use:
    1. Create a directory in the USB storage of your HPTP with the name "sminstall".
    2. Copy all the files you want to install from your PC (refer to the lists above) into that directory.
    3. Boot your HPTP into recovery mode.
    4. Run the following command in your Terminal or Command Prompt:
      Code:
      novacom boot mem:// < uImage.SmackMe2
    You should see the USB logo get replaced by the HP logo, then two Tuxes (Linux's mascot, the penguin - one for each CPU coer on the SoC) and scrolling text. Wait for the tablet to reboot to moboot. If you encounter any issues, please remember that I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS, but I will certainly do my utmost to fix anything that I made. It is unlikely to brick your TouchPad using either this installer or ACME Installer. The worst that can theoretically happen is the "www.palm.com/ROM" screen, which IS NOT a brick, and IS EASILY FIXABLE.

DOWNLOADS
    The main installer (what you feed into Novacom):
    uImage.SmackMe2 - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2T1k5THhKNmNPVEk/edit?usp=sharing
    Buiidables for the main installer: http://www.mediafire.com/?it96af7fvp39l9c
    To use kexec for any OS, you need both "uImage.kexec" and the "kexec-<OSNAME>.tar" files.
    MAIN FILE (uImage.kexec): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2RHJoNE93c2dVRlU/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 2.2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2d2cwQlBtVVd4aGM/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 2.3: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2UGtETzBwNnNvckU/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 4.0: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2UDc2cVZ2TjBWM2s/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 4.1: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2d3g0U3p6c0l4NFk/edit?usp=sharing
    Android 4.2: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4WUjKii92l2dlFzcFBacThSVXc/edit?usp=sharing

Ubuntu 12.10 final: http://www.mediafire.com/?uowhfd1sx1pppoa
    Ubuntu 13.04: kexec kernel already included in the rootfs, DO NOT try to extract the 12.10 one on top!
    Slackware: http://www.mediafire.com/?8kow2lrwnamuui1
    nsboot released

I've never really personally been proud of smackme. It's been through a rewrite once, but it's still buggy and difficult to maintain. I'm not the best at shell coding, and also, I've wanted to make an actual interface for a while.

Meet nsboot., a kexec bootloader and installer coded in C.

In the post for nsboot, I mention that it is a beta. I, personally, have replaced moboot with nsboot for a day now that it can boot webOS via kexec. The files for that will be posted in a minute, along with some for Arch Linux ARM, which also let the old port boot from ext4 - needed because nsboot formats EVERYTHING in ext4.

A good thing about "kexec bootloaders" like this is that if properly installed, they actually have a lower chance of bricking your TouchPad than moboot does (if you are a "crack-flasher", you don't ever have to touch /dev/mmcblk0p13 after you install nsboot.) Even if you mess up your nsboot installation (which would be difficult because it has a one click install button), you can technically get out of it without doctoring - just use novacom to boot a new copy of nsboot!

As for kexecboot, the old kexec bootloader, I'm phasing that out too: unless anyone has particular concerns about smackme2 or kexecboot, I strongly urge you install nsboot today.

Plus, I really need beta testers: nobody has commented on/thanked my nsboot post yet - I really hope people aren't jumping ship to other tablets :rolleyes

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2296029

(Sorry for making this sound more like an advertisement than an upgrade annoucement.)
    My version of Ubuntu has audio and usability enhancements, as well as being lean/mean and faster due to the armhf architecture.

It's available near the end of the Ubuntu thread, make sure you get 12.10, "Final" and not "Beta".

In fact, I haven't tested my Ubuntu kexec tarchive with anyone else's implementation. Feel free to try and respond back with 11.10 or 12.04, or even my 12.10 beta.

Everyone, Slackware should be up by the time you read this post.
    I see the author of 13.04 put their archive on Google Docs, I'll copy all three over there.