[CWM] Clockworkmod Recovery for the Samsung Blaze 4G

Search This thread

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Shabbypenguin presents...
Clockworkmod Recovery 6.0.5.0 for Blaze 4G
Sponsored by Shabbypenguin.com. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

So the T-Mobile CWM worked... well sorta you couldnt see anything, so i fixed it up and made sure it worked fine for yall :) enjoy

Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
  2. Download the Clockworkmod recovery TAR - see section below.
  3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip.
  4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
    • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
    • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded.
  5. Put your device into Download Mode:
    • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
    • Remove the battery.
    • Reinsert the battery.
    • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
  6. You should now be at Download Mode.
  7. Click Start in Odin.

If you are having issues getting into download mode check out these instructions :)

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again.

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
  • k0nane: k0nane for being an awesome sauce kind of guy
  • JFigure/Watcher64: initial testing and pointers/proof of concept
  • UberPinguin: notes on building kernels for celox, which also apply to this device

SOURCE

If you feel as though my work is worth your money, you can click the link in my signature to donate to me :)

Last edited:

k0nane

Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
P-O-S-T :: R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D

AAvvp.png

Original artwork by Pendulum via Gasolin3.

...for future use.

Follow me on Twitter @k0nane and @publik0!

SCossio

Jul 7, 2009
Miami
Okay.
Im having issues.
I have a T-Mobile Samsung Blaze4G

Followed every step to the T.
When I do Vol up+ Vol dwn+ PWR
i come to a recovery screen and at the bottom it says Manual mode.

I dont see anything that says "Download Mode"

From the top down this is what I see
Android Systems recovery <3e>
Reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache partition

Any ideas?

In Odin I had to download Keis Air because my computer was not installing drivers for the phone. once i downloaded Keis Air and plugged in the phone it recognized it and finished installing the drivers. I did a computer reboot and when I follow the steps I get a YELLOW highlighted box in ODIN under the ID:COM part that says 0:[COM3] in yellow.

I hit start but nothing happens.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
rooted kernel has a few perks to it that k0nane threw in :). hopefully you guys can now attract some devs and start working on roms/cm :). we aim to please, just remember us the next time you have a device that isnt getting much love ;P

SCossio from what i understand the key combo gets you into a quasi-downloadmode, need to hit vol up to confirm to enter download mode and then you can plug it in and begin to flash this :)

perhaps some nice blaze owner can make a how-to video? sorry if our instructions seem off or vague, myself or k0nane have never seen this phone let alone touched one, so we rely on you guys (blaze owners) to help with these kinds of things.

Reactions: dep3che

Dedridd

Apr 2, 2012
Pre-reqs?

Use odin to install the rooted kernel first, then clockworkmod, correct?

This is my first time rooting. I just wanted to double check that the clockworkmod image didn't contain the rooted kernel already.

Dedridd

doktortaru

Apr 3, 2011
It doesn't although for the sake of only incrementing the flash counter once it probably could be consolidated.
However, if you flash CWM its a simple process of flashing the SU binary zip package from the sdcard with CWM, same end result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dedridd

Montena91

Apr 13, 2012
Dallas
I keep getting this message when I try and run odin on my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4g I know that I am doing everything right maybe it is my phone

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Someone help me plz

opiumatic

Oct 24, 2011
Total n00b here.. with a stupid question. (or twenty).

Let's say, if this "Clockworkmod Recovery for Blaze" was installed via Odin and then Rom Manager app flashed with Clockworkmod Recovery for Galaxy S 2, what happens to the previous files (loaded via Odin)? Do both recoveries co-exist? Or does one replace the other? and if so, can this process be repeated again?

I'm just trying to understand this process.

[Update]: I repeated the process described in this thread, figuring that having recovery for some other phone model would not be a good idea, probably not be a well functioning recovery... everything seemed to have worked great but how can I verify that I have the correct version of recovery now? (I apologize for another stupid question in advance).

Last edited:

smd20z

Sep 23, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Okay.
Im having issues.
I have a T-Mobile Samsung Blaze4G

Followed every step to the T.
When I do Vol up+ Vol dwn+ PWR
i come to a recovery screen and at the bottom it says Manual mode.

I dont see anything that says "Download Mode"

From the top down this is what I see
Android Systems recovery <3e>
Reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache partition

Any ideas?

In Odin I had to download Keis Air because my computer was not installing drivers for the phone. once i downloaded Keis Air and plugged in the phone it recognized it and finished installing the drivers. I did a computer reboot and when I follow the steps I get a YELLOW highlighted box in ODIN under the ID:COM part that says 0:[COM3] in yellow.

I hit start but nothing happens.

Hey there. The phone must be plugged into the computer before you put the battery in.

radiohead7778580

Apr 9, 2010
Chicago
You guys can also just turn off your phone hold down the volume up+volume down and plug the usb cable into the phone... Make sure the other end is plugged in to the computer first ;), Odin 100%

Sent from my SGH-T769 using xda premium

bongus

Jul 7, 2007
Done...now will wait for ROMs. Thank you to all involved in making this happen.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shabbypenguin presents...
    Clockworkmod Recovery 6.0.5.0 for Blaze 4G
    Sponsored by Shabbypenguin.com. Have you tipped your devs today?

DO NOT CHECK REPARTITION! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Why the big red warning? Far too many people have broken their devices by not following these instructions! Search the forums, or drop by IRC - you'll see plenty of examples.

So the T-Mobile CWM worked... well sorta you couldnt see anything, so i fixed it up and made sure it worked fine for yall :) enjoy

Instructions

1. Download Odin 1.85 - see section below.
    2. Download the Clockworkmod recovery TAR - see section below.
    3. Extract the contents of odin-185.zip.
    4. Run Odin 1.85.exe, and prepare Odin:
      • Check "auto-reboot", and uncheck all other options.
      • Click PDA and select the TAR you downloaded.
    5. Put your device into Download Mode:
      • Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
      • Remove the battery.
      • Reinsert the battery.
      • Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
    6. You should now be at Download Mode.
    7. Click Start in Odin.

If you are having issues getting into download mode check out these instructions :)

That's it! Your device will autoreboot, and your phone should be working properly again.

Downloads​

Credits:

• DrTaru: stock device, remote access, lots of testing, screenshots, patience
    • k0nane: k0nane for being an awesome sauce kind of guy
    • JFigure/Watcher64: initial testing and pointers/proof of concept
    • UberPinguin: notes on building kernels for celox, which also apply to this device

SOURCE

If you feel as though my work is worth your money, you can click the link in my signature to donate to me :)
    I'm not seeing it. I tried running my recovery through the cwm builder and turned on the "touch" option and it didn't produce anything useable (just rebooted the phone). When I work out the other issues I have cooking, I may put it on my list.

you could have just asked :p

that being said cuz im lazy playfulgod is working on merging the device into cwm stuff, when that happens yall will get official cwm and touch. im not a big fan of cwm touch as TWRP is a whole lot nicer :p
    Rom Manager

ROM manager now supports the Blaze 4G.
    Worked great!

As usual; the devs got it spot on - and rooting; as well as CWM installed just great!

I did want to post, ONE small thing - and I hope to h*ll I'm not stepping on anyone's toes...

I was following the directions down to a "T"; and wasn't having any success with getting it into download mode until I watched the video. I noticed in the video while they were getting it into download mode; they had a USB cable connected...

Now - this is a copy of what the instructions say:

-*-*-*-*-
    Put your device into Download Mode:
    Connect the USB cable to your PC, but NOT your device.
    Remove the battery.
    Reinsert the battery.
    Hold down Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
    You should now be at Download Mode.
    Click Start in Odin.

-*-*-*-*-

Before I make what *I* believe to be a correction; I must say how grateful I am for the work that has been done on this project - I'm far from ungrateful; far from a newb (Rest in peace my LG-P999 {G2x}) / however I must post what I had a small problem with - and how I overcame it simply in the hopes that if someone else has the same problem - it's an easy correction...took me 45 seconds of watching the video (don't you hate that?) to realize what MY issue was to begin with...

Let me first tell what I was using; maybe it was my hardware - who the h*ll knows:

-*-*-*-*-
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Odin 1.85 - and everything else downloaded from the XDA threads
    -*-*-*-*-

Put your device into Download Mode:
    1) Connect the USB cable to your PC, *AND* to your device.
    *** CORRECTION ***
    (This is where my issue began...without my device being actively connected to the PC [not even a simple USB hub or other form of USB power] I was unable to get it to actively go into download mode...my device MUST be connected to my windows machine before download mode would be able to be accessed...[PRE-CWM])

2) Remove the battery. While the battery is removed from your device; hold down the VOLUME UP + VOLUME DOWN (This is most easily done by simply pressing in the CENTER of your Volume button...hence done with one hand)
    *** CORRECTION ***

3) Reinsert the battery. Once your battery has been reinserted; press your POWER button. Your device will then enter DOWNLOAD mode...
    *** CORRECTION ***

4) Once your device has entered download mode; you will have two options. Press your VOLUME UP button to then enter FULL download mode...or press your VOLUME DOWN button to exit download mode...
    *** CORRECTION ***

5) If you're ready to enter FULL download mode and begin installing CWM or your ROOT KERNEL - then hit VOLUME UP on your device. You'll then be greeted by the standard Android man - and you're ready to do your install!
    *** CORRECTION ***

6) By this point you should have your ODIN setup and ready to go - if you have your ODIN setup - click Start - your download will begin...and BOOM - your device will restart; at that point it's safe to unplug your USB - after restarting you'll come back to your phone how you left it - but you'll have CWM (or Root access, depending what PDA file (*.TAR) you've installed!
    *** CORRECTION ***

-*-*-*-*-

This is a step by step guide from my experience; and hopefully it will help someone else from shaking their head wondering what to do...again - I mean no disrespect by my posting :) Thanks again guys!
    I never made a nandroid backup with my G1 - I just ran fast and loose and didn't get bitten in the ass by it, fortunately. This being a brand-new phone with a two year contract, I'd prefer to be a little more careful this time. Now that I've got root and CWM set up, my next step before removing bloatware is making a backup. Is there a good link to instructions on using CWM for nandroid backups? I've managed to never f*ck anything up thus far (and I did a fair amount of crap with my G1) by reading directions and following them closely, so I'd rather not just take a stab and hope for the best.

If you've already got root, you just need to boot into the recovery and start a Backup. The easiest way off the top of my head to boot into the recovery is to install "ROM Manager" and somewhere right as you open it up should be an option to reboot into the recovery. If you're an advanced user and have adb set up, then you could just do "adb reboot recovery" and that'll get you there.

EDIT: Forgot the easiest way to boot into recovery... With no USB cable plugged in, hold down the Vol UP and Vol DOWN together, and power it on at the same time. Basically like how you would go to the download mode for Odin. The lack of the USB connection will tell it to just boot into recovery.

Once you're into the recovery, your volume buttons act as your up/down arrows, and the power button becomes your OK/Select/Enter.

Make your way to Backup and Restore. Do a backup. You're done. Reboot back into the system to mess around safely with the phone.

The process to restore is basically the same.

A Few Notes:
    1. By default the backup is stored on the SD card. If you choose to backup to the internal SD card, it'll store it on the tiny internal storage.
    2. I like to make a working copy, and then (also from CWM) reset user data and do a backup of a non-initialized system.
    3. In whichever storage space you choose (int/ext sd card), it will create a base folder called "clockworkmod". Within it will be a backups folder. Within that folder you'll see a number of folders named for dates. Those are your backups. You can safely change the name of these folders (either booted back into your phone with an explorer, or with your computer through a USB connection). Just don't use any spaces in the names. For example, I have two "Stock" backups called "Stock-Touchwiz" and "Stock-Touchwiz-Lite". The former is my stock backup, the latter is the one where everything is cleaned up the way I like it.
    4. I *HIGHLY* recommend copying the backup folder for your stock backup(s) to a computer or safe storage somewhere. SD cards do get damaged.

Good luck, hope this helped.