FireTV 2 (sloane) Prerooted Stock Images [5.2.7.6_r1]

Search This thread

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Wow flashed the new firmware & then as it was flashing i noticed it had been pulled because of errors/problems, then when i booted it said updating dont touch anything! I almost died (HAHA), anyway ive reverted to the version before..... so now im on 5.0.5.r1 .

(& the update was for the remote control)

Reactions: Largewoodenspoon

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia

@AFTVnews.com
Yes I believe it is only 1080I. An older set from best buy Insignia brand. Best Buys store brand. What is strange is the 1080P (Westinghouse) capable tv could see the recovery ok but couldn't see the Amazon home screen after boot up. It would reboot ok from TWRP then go blank after the white amazon logo, but you could see there was still some signal being sensed by the tv, like the FTV was switching resolutions but the tv couldn't switch with it. I think I will try unplugging the Westinghouse so it "forgets" the connection later tonight when I am installing the new 5.0.5 update.

For some reason Multi-Quote is not working for me. Tried to quote two posts with this post. No dice.

edit: figured out the multi-Quote lol.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Mine is a 1080i tv. Old sony bravia. Great picture and sound though. The display is most definitely tits up on twrp. However, I have a broken tiny cheap wall mounted 1080i flatscreen, with no sound, which is now my dedicated 2nd aftv monitor, just for twrp purposes. It even fits snug under my living room tv unit out of sight.

I am awaiting funds for a new samsung curved 55inch beast. But, I think it will have to wait until the sony bravia dies on me! lol

Are both tvs 1080i? And the one does work for TWRP?

"tits up" lol sounds like a nice british description. I like that one. I might incorporate that in my repertoire. I see that a bit in the Kodi groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Largewoodenspoon

Ludacrisvp

Dec 13, 2008
MN
Forgot to disable updates after flashing the 5.0.4 pre-rooted ROM after doing a full wipe and today when I got home from work I was on 5.0.5 with no root anymore. :-/

TorqueWrench001

Dec 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Upgrade to 5.0.5 successful!!

Upgrade to 5.0.5 successful!!
I used the 1080p tv so I could see TWRP, flashed the rom, reboot same issue with the Amazon home screen being blank. Reboot, still the same. Unplug tv, reboot, same. Unplug tv swap hdmi ports, reboot, same. Used tv menu to change hdmi port input to a different device (cable box) and back to FTV.
BOOM now the tv displays the FTV Amazon home screen. Go figure. Not sure what actually is happening but at least I think I can get it to work on this tv if I want to. Actually this tv has a htpc hooked up to it so I won't need it for that. Now to try it in the kitchen, which is the tv I actually got this FTV for. Might wait till the hdmi switch I ordered from Amazon shows up, this tv only has 1 hdmi input, cable box hooked up to it now. If I get these all going as desired, I my goal is to eliminate the cable service. TOO expensive anymore and constantly raising prices. Five tvs in the household.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Forgot to disable updates after flashing the 5.0.4 pre-rooted ROM after doing a full wipe and today when I got home from work I was on 5.0.5 with no root anymore. :-/

When you say full wipe are you wiping the system and data partitions as you would with an android phone?

I only did the cache and dalvik. Could be wrong Not sure but I thought i saw that you don't wipe system or data on these.

Ludacrisvp

Dec 13, 2008
MN
When you say full wipe are you wiping the system and data partitions as you would with an android phone?
I only did the cache and dalvik. Could be wrong Not sure but I thought i saw that you don't wipe system or data on these.
Correct I did a full wipe of everything except the external SD card. I was following a guide on how to get play store to not error out. It wasn't successful in fixing play store and now I have to start over.
Previously I wasn't doing that full wipe only flashing over the existing rom with the new ones which worked fine. No need to clear cache either in the fire tv case.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Correct I did a full wipe of everything except the external SD card. I was following a guide on how to get play store to not error out. It wasn't successful in fixing play store and now I have to start over.
Previously I wasn't doing that full wipe only flashing over the existing rom with the new ones which worked fine. No need to clear cache either in the fire tv case.

i got play store to work using pre rooted rom no wipes.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I updated the OP with 5.0.5_r3. This will disable stock recovery, making it safer for people who forget to disable updates. Otherwise, there are no functional changes to 5.0.5_r1, although su is installed slightly differently, and it requires a newer 2ndinit that comes with the rom.

D-an-W

Nov 15, 2015
Thanks rbox, please excuse my ignorance here but am I right in saying then 5.0.5_r3 offers some protection against receiving unwanted updates but still allows a factory reset of the rooted AFTV?

Pat1981

Nov 10, 2005
Dear rbox,
Is it possible to give via she'll a reboot command to flash directly the new zip firmware? I have no usb keyboard so I can't select twrp;)

Thx

harlekinrains

May 12, 2011
On none of the recent 5.0.5 releases - SuperSU can be launched . I'm fine with only ever getting in contact with it through its "grant me permissions" popups for now - but... managing applications root rights after the fact - actually should be considered "the basics".

I have read through this forum enough to know that this is a limitation that suddenly appeared with newer versions of the SuperSU app, but the suggestions on how to handle it are all over the place - so are the version numbers mentioned, and on top of it the .apk itself is nested in a folder structure that is new to me (system apks in folders?) and that I dont particularly want to mess with, not knowing what I am doing.

Please - look into it, if you find the time.

Last edited:

Aobeta

Apr 10, 2013
I flashed v5.0.5-r1 yesterday, and I was gonna upgrade to v5.0.5-r3 today but I realized that the usb keyboard isn't working anymore at boot to be able to get into recovery. I tried 2 different keyboards and they don't respond until the fire tv boots all the way. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks.

harlekinrains

May 12, 2011
I flashed v5.0.5-r1 yesterday, and I was gonna upgrade to v5.0.5-r3 today but I realized that the usb keyboard isn't working anymore at boot to be able to get into recovery. I tried 2 different keyboards and they don't respond until the fire tv boots all the way. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks.
Flashed v5.0.5-r1 > v5.0.5-r2 > v5.0.5-r1 > v5.0.5-r3 in the past two days - never had a problem with my keyboard not being recognized. It shouldnt even be affected by you having "USB debugging" still turned on - but in any case, try turning it of - just in case.

Aobeta

Apr 10, 2013

Nevermind, I fixed it myself by reflashing recovery seperately.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Please read what rbox said here -

February 13, 2016 - 5.0.5_r3 (md5sum: 92d08a12d240cf9bf6d25005a65bd82d)
Starting with this update, stock recovery will be disabled to prevent stock updates from being flashed. Please refer to the instructions above for managing stock recovery.
This includes 2ndinit version dee776 and TWRP version 3.0.0-3. Because this comes with a newer 2ndinit version, "do not flash an older recovery package". "Doing so will disable su."

androidfux

Sep 12, 2012
I also have this problem. But my two keyboards had never worked. The keyboards are a wired and a wireless one.

I reflashed the recovery using:

Code:
sh /sdcard/firetv2_recovery_v4.zip

Unfortunately that didn't help in my case, no reaction on right key press.

But: If I touch the file "/cache/bootmenu_recovery" (to force boot into recovery), then connect via ADB and execute "mouse" the keyboard presses are working, so I can use the recovery using mouse emulation?! Strange.

Any ideas? (Yes, USB debugging is off).

EDIT: Using v5.0.5-r1 and recovery v4 currently.

Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Dear rbox,
Is it possible to give via she'll a reboot command to flash directly the new zip firmware? I have no usb keyboard so I can't select twrp;)

Thx

So you can follow what @androidfux said to force it to boot in to recovery and use the mouse emulator.

On none of the recent 5.0.5 releases - SuperSU can be launched . I'm fine with only ever getting in contact with it through its "grant me permissions" popups for now - but... managing applications root rights after the fact - actually should be considered "the basics".

I have read through this forum enough to know that this is a limitation that suddenly appeared with newer versions of the SuperSU app, but the suggestions on how to handle it are all over the place - so are the version numbers mentioned, and on top of it the .apk itself is nested in a folder structure that is new to me (system apks in folders?) and that I dont particularly want to mess with, not knowing what I am doing.

Please - look into it, if you find the time.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this. It has never worked on FireTV, even on FireTV 1. I think it has something to do with something Amazon has done to Android.

I also have this problem. But my two keyboards had never worked. The keyboards are a wired and a wireless one.

I reflashed the recovery using:

Code:
sh /sdcard/firetv2_recovery_v4.zip

Unfortunately that didn't help in my case, no reaction on right key press.

But: If I touch the file "/cache/bootmenu_recovery" (to force boot into recovery), then connect via ADB and execute "mouse" the keyboard presses are working, so I can use the recovery using mouse emulation?! Strange.

Any ideas? (Yes, USB debugging is off).

EDIT: Using v5.0.5-r1 and recovery v4 currently.

I'm not quite sure why people are reporting keyboard problems. I did notice an intermittent problem at one point when I was testing the unbricking image, but I haven't had any problems with any of the 5.0.5 releases. Unfortunately if you try to flash v4 on 5.0.5_r3 it will break su. I will look in to what is different with 5.0.5_r1 and v4.

Reactions: sgs9

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I just took a look at 5.0.5_r1 and v4. They both contain identical copies of 2ndinit and the recovery ramdisk. There is no reason one would work better than the other. The only suggestion I could give would be to flash 5.0.5_r3 and see if the problem goes away. Otherwise I could say try to physically unplug the power and plug it back in and see if that makes the keyboard work. But flashing v4 ontop of 5.0.5_r1 is definitely not going to change anything.

Top Liked Posts