[MOD] IncrediControl - Easy control of voltages and kernel settings!

Search This thread

chad0989

Oct 31, 2010
Please read this post through thoroughly before downloading.

This app allows you to control your CPU voltages with an easy to use interface. You can increase or decrease voltages (undervolt or overvolt) for all frequencies or fine tune voltages for each individual frequency.

! HTC DEVICES, currently only single core devices are supported !
! ROOT is Required !
! Kernel that supports HAVS or SVS voltage adjustment REQUIRED !

In addition, if you are an Incredikernel user, the app may also be used to toggle Incredikernel specific features on and off, namely USB fast charging and audio boost.

Get it over at http://www.incredikernel.com

IncrediControl is now also available in the market:

IncrediControl
IncrediControl - Ad Free

Additionally, all donators are eligible to receive the Ad Free version. It doesn't matter how much or how little you donate or have donated. If you don't want to purchase the app from the market, you may donate using the button on this page. Please register on the site first and include your username in the comments box.

All previous donators, please register on the site if you have not done so and contact me with your username!

NOTE: The settings in the general tab are only functional in kernels that have implemented the simple sysfs interfaces for usb fast charging and audio boost. If you toggle them, its not going to break anything, but they won't work and the app may crash. If you would like your kernel dev to implement the interfaces, please direct them to these two commits:

https://github.com/Chad0989/android_kernel_common/commit/a7c21fa0391c225900f93960362535179c0cecc9

https://github.com/Chad0989/android_kernel_common/commit/41dc138bae23dc7582de72a4d9895aaa8e1f8b2d

NOTE2: It is a requirement of the HAVS adjustment that the kernel you are using has the HAVS sysfs interface implemented. If it does not, it will not work. Most non-stock gingerbread kernels have the HAVS adjustment. Very few sense kernels have the adjustment. I believe ziggy's latest is the only one that does.

NOTE3: Before using, please delete any boot scripts you may have in /etc/init.d that toggle any of the settings this app controls.

Get it at http://www.incredikernel.com

Restore script - use this if you went too low and find yourself in a boot loop. Flash through recovery:
http://www.incredikernel.com/?p=229

Attachments

• snap20110801_170051.jpg
    snap20110801_170051.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,947
  • snap20110801_170736.jpg
    snap20110801_170736.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,369
Last edited:

mikeymop

Aug 15, 2010
Hey Preview 2 has the HAVS, I think you should put the minus on the left of each number field. So that way it's like

- [voltage] +

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
Hey Preview 2 has the HAVS, I think you should put the minus on the left of each number field. So that way it's like

- [voltage] +
I concur. And will this work on the incredikernel?

J/k on the the question part (because I know someone will take that seriously :p ). Great work, chad.

RebelShadow

Oct 12, 2006
Sulphur, LA.
Chad, here's something to ponder or consider. Please think about putting in some way to back-up your settings. That way when flashing new roms you could just restore from back rather than settings all again. Just a thought.

ToyTank

Jul 13, 2010
Kalispell,MT
Great thanks!

I know viperboy was working on something similar.

I have to say though your aggressive undervolt package is the tits. It is rock solid for me, and I can't lower anything -25v from there without crashing.

chad0989

Oct 31, 2010
Chad, here's something to ponder or consider. Please think about putting in some way to back-up your settings. That way when flashing new roms you could just restore from back rather than settings all again. Just a thought.

That may come in the future.

@everyone: Anyone try it on other devices that have havs + sysfs interface? Evo, desire?

POQbum

Jan 18, 2011
Chad, I've noticed that after I reboot the phone and go back into the app, the boxes for "set on boot" are unticked.

Also I know you already know this but it's sort of a pain in the ass to set the SD card speed (your other app) after every boot, so if you could do a "set on boot" for that one too that'd be awesome.

Keep up the good work, I like how every time I check back here you have a bunch of updates :D

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
I've noticed after installing a new nightly with no wipes, the values revert to stock, even with set on boot.

chad0989

Oct 31, 2010
Chad, I've noticed that after I reboot the phone and go back into the app, the boxes for "set on boot" are unticked.

Also I know you already know this but it's sort of a pain in the ass to set the SD card speed (your other app) after every boot, so if you could do a "set on boot" for that one too that'd be awesome.

Keep up the good work, I like how every time I check back here you have a bunch of updates :D

The boxes are unticked on purpose, so that the file is only written when you specify that you want to set the current settings on boot. The other option is to have it ticked when the boot script is found, but then you would have to untick it when you want to just play with voltages (but not change your boot script) and then tick it again to set on boot. Would everyone prefer it that way?

I should also specify that when you tick set on boot, you also must click set in order to truly set it on boot. There is also the option to have it write the file when set on boot is ticked. I just need to know what everyone's preference is.

SDspeed might be added to a future release and would have the set on boot option.

I've noticed after installing a new nightly with no wipes, the values revert to stock, even with set on boot.

That's because new nightlies overwrite the /system folder where the boot script is stored. I'll probably add a backup option too so you can load the defaults, either that or change over to storing the values in a database and loading them via the app on boot as opposed to the boot script.

jesssiii

Aug 19, 2010
Southern CA
Backup database - yes!
Default set on boot once it's been ticked - yes!
Thanks for this, Chad!

Zeam & Incredikernel
CM7 latest Nightly

chad0989

Oct 31, 2010
7/19/2011 - Preview 3:
Changes include:

• Added +/- All Min and All Max buttons
  • Reordered the + and – buttons to flank the voltages to clean up the layout a bit.
  • Removed the title bar for more vertical screen space

Next up is feature checking / disabling of functions your kernel doesn’t support as well as voltage checking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please read this post through thoroughly before downloading.

This app allows you to control your CPU voltages with an easy to use interface. You can increase or decrease voltages (undervolt or overvolt) for all frequencies or fine tune voltages for each individual frequency.

! ROOT is Required !

In addition, if you are an Incredikernel user, the app may also be used to toggle Incredikernel specific features on and off, namely USB fast charging and audio boost.

IncrediControl
    IncrediControl - Ad Free

Additionally, all donators are eligible to receive the Ad Free version. It doesn't matter how much or how little you donate or have donated. If you don't want to purchase the app from the market, you may donate using the button on this page. Please register on the site first and include your username in the comments box.

All previous donators, please register on the site if you have not done so and contact me with your username!

NOTE: The settings in the general tab are only functional in kernels that have implemented the simple sysfs interfaces for usb fast charging and audio boost. If you toggle them, its not going to break anything, but they won't work and the app may crash. If you would like your kernel dev to implement the interfaces, please direct them to these two commits:

https://github.com/Chad0989/android_kernel_common/commit/a7c21fa0391c225900f93960362535179c0cecc9

https://github.com/Chad0989/android_kernel_common/commit/41dc138bae23dc7582de72a4d9895aaa8e1f8b2d

NOTE2: It is a requirement of the HAVS adjustment that the kernel you are using has the HAVS sysfs interface implemented. If it does not, it will not work. Most non-stock gingerbread kernels have the HAVS adjustment. Very few sense kernels have the adjustment. I believe ziggy's latest is the only one that does.

NOTE3: Before using, please delete any boot scripts you may have in /etc/init.d that toggle any of the settings this app controls.

Restore script - use this if you went too low and find yourself in a boot loop. Flash through recovery:
    http://www.incredikernel.com/?p=229
    Its finally ready to release. So here it is, IncrediControl v1.0!

! ROOT is Required !

IncrediControl
    IncrediControl - Ad Free

Hmm. Wonder what this does, just magically appeared in my app this afternoon (not done yet, just a teaser).
    Here's an icon I made in photoshop for the time being, so there won't have to be that plain android icon.
    volts.png

Download it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12361010/volts.png
    Undervolting with Incredicontrol

A month or so ago I had talked about a certain project I had taken on. I was determined to find the lowest stable undervolted settings for each specific cpu frequency in an effort to further maximize the phone’s battery life.
    I began by setting my governor on the latest Incredikernel to performance, so that it would run at the maximum setting. I then set both the minimum and maximum governor frequencies identically. This would ensure that my system was only running at that exact frequency. Then, I ran a cpu stress test, along with Pandora actively streaming music, all the while either playing Angry Birds or jumping in and out of forum threads as a means to put the maximum demand on the cpu. If after a few minutes of this the phone continued to respond normally, I would then undervolt that particular frequency’s Max volt by -25 (save) within Incredicontrol. I continued with this process testing each undervolt dropping every few minutes until my phone became “unstable”. If I started getting app force closes, screen freezes, reboots, or an overall system lock up, I would know that I had undervolted too far. I did this testing with every frequency available and compiled a list of those specific undervolts.
    Now, knowing that everyone’s Incredible is different, I added an additional +50 to my currently stable undervolt settings for the volt maximum’s to ensure that most (if not every user) would be able to benefit from my hard work without complications. If you feel like a dare devil however and want to further drop those max settings more, by all means you’re welcome to. However, I can not guarantee that you won’t have problems either immediately or hours later..
    I do know that Chad compiled a max script himself but I do not know how he went about testing the frequencies. I do know that my phone was unable to handle his aggressive-script settings at the time. This is a modified version of one of his scripts.
    If you currently use Incredicontrol, you will need to select the “Restore Defaults” button at the very bottom of the HAVS section and reboot your phone. This will eliminate any current “at boot” settings that will prevent my script from making the proper settings. After the reboot, go into Incredicontrol just to be sure the defaults have been restored. Now, reboot into recovery and flash the script. That’s it! I hope this works for you. Let me know what you think and if you notice any power saving difference. Since we’re dealing with a literal power control, there will be a power saving difference whether it be immediately noticeable or long term.
    Please note that you are not required to run the Incredikernel for Incredicontrol to work. You just need to be on a Kernel that supports HAVS.

Thank you Chad for creating Incredicontrol and I hope at some point that you are given enough free time to further improve this excellent app.

EDIT: Some users are experiencing boot loops when trying to flash my script so since Incredicontrol IS a user controllable app, I can just post the frequencies if people are having problems with the script.

Here they are:

Freq.__ Min Max
    128000 700 875
    245000 700 900
    384000 700 925
    422400 700 950
    460800 700 950
    499200 700 975
    537600 700 1000
    576000 700 1025
    614400 700 1025
    652800 700 1050