[FIX] Fastboot problems on Windows 8 x64 with USB 3.0? Solution inside.

Search This thread

salada2k

Jun 22, 2008
Melbourne
Some of you are like myself are having trouble getting the fastboot drivers to install correctly on Windows 8. The device is always showing with an exclamation mark on it in device manager, and 'fastboot devices' shows nothing. There are other threads out there on XDA which detail methods, such as KidCarter93's method here which show you how to force install the Win7 fastboot drivers on Windows 8.

The problem is this doesn't work for some of us, and I suspected it was something to do with my Ultrabook only having USB 3.0 ports, since my other Win8 x64 box with USB 2.0 ports has no such issue.

I had a poke around and found this site here which shows you how to remove the Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers and instead install the Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 8.

After following the procedure carefully, I can confirm this fixes the problem for me on Windows 8! After successfully installing the drivers, fastboot started working immediately for me.

Step 1: Install the HTC drivers from the standard HTC Sync Manager (Win7/8). If you are on Windows 8.1, please use the HTC Drivers linked later in this thread here (thanks Kardus!)
Follow KidCarter93's method to manually install the Win7 drivers. Read Here. Or you could manually install the latest drivers being maintained in this thread here. I tried them all before arriving at a fix, so my system isnt exactly clean, but I'm sure you could try one or the other as the important part is step 2.

Step 2: Hit up Plugable's site which has a great step by step explanation of how to install the Intel USB 3.0 drivers. Full credit to Jerome for writing the guide, and Ekko who did the original work.

UPDATE: As per Coolookoo's discovery (Thanks Coolookoo!), if you are using a 4th Gen Haswell based Intel CPU, then you need to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers from this link here instead of the link at Plugable's site. You will however still need his modded .inf files.

Step 3..... Profit

You should now have fastboot working flawlessly on Win8 x64 with USB 3.0, and as a added gift some older 'incompatible' USB devices that you may own should also now work under Windows 8.

Would love to hear some feedback on how this went for you.

If it helped, please hit the Thanks button!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

dazbutler1

Jun 14, 2010
boosbeck
Hey you are a star. This has been annoying me for weeks now on my usb 3 laptop. can confirm that following your guide worked perfectly and now fastboot recognised perfect.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

luqythewise

Mar 1, 2013
Bradford/London
You sir are the man !, I was beginning to think nobody else was having the same issue as me .I've been resorting to using my laptop's usb 2 port to do all my fastboot stuff, sine my desktop has only usb 3's , and this quick fix has made the four usb 3's on the back of my desktop work flawlessly. So yeah thanks for that mate.

Now just to get the two side usb 3 ports working for easier access since they run of a Texas instruments controller.

Sent From My Tricked Out HTC One

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Never mind, I just downloaded the texas instruments usb 3 driver for windows 7 from the Dell site, extracted the files and left clicked and installed both ini files, and viola, they're working.
Thanks again for posting this, it's much appreciated

Sent From My Tricked Out HTC One

JDAapps

Jul 1, 2012
New York
Great post, thank you!
While I'm not going to mess with the 3.0 drivers (seems there are advantages to using built-in stack for supported devices), this did at least point me in the direction of using my 2.0 ports instead for fastboot, which works great.
Thanks again!

salada2k

Jun 22, 2008
Melbourne
Great post, thank you!
While I'm not going to mess with the 3.0 drivers (seems there are advantages to using built-in stack for supported devices), this did at least point me in the direction of using my 2.0 ports instead for fastboot, which works great.
Thanks again!

It's my pleasure! p.s. Which advantages are you referring to using the built in stack?

tdesbien31

Sep 1, 2010
Well i gave it a go, still didnt work. adb recognizes my HTC One when it is booted into the regular system, but as soon as it goes into fastboot it is not recognized.... Any other suggestions?

JEZ69

Feb 1, 2010
Antibes
Google Pixel Watch
Some of you are like myself are having trouble getting the fastboot drivers to install correctly on Windows 8. The device is always showing with an exclamation mark on it in device manager, and 'fastboot devices' shows nothing. There are other threads out there on XDA which detail methods, such as KidCarter93's method here which show you how to force install the Win7 fastboot drivers on Windows 8.

The problem is this doesn't work for some of us, and I suspected it was something to do with my Ultrabook only having USB 3.0 ports, since my other Win8 x64 box with USB 2.0 ports has no such issue.

I had a poke around and found this site here which shows you how to remove the Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers and instead install the Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 8.

After following the procedure carefully, I can confirm this fixes the problem for me on Windows 8! After successfully installing the drivers, fastboot started working immediately for me.

Step 1: Install the HTC drivers. Follow KidCarter93's method to manually install the Win7 drivers. Read Here. Or you could manually install the latest drivers being maintained in this thread here. I tried them all before arriving at a fix, so my system isnt exactly clean, but I'm sure you could try one or the other as the important part is step 2.

Step 2: Hit up Plugable's site which has a great step by step explanation of how to install the Intel USB 3.0 drivers. Full credit to Jerome for writing the guide, and Ekko who did the original work.

Step 3..... Profit

You should now have fastboot working flawlessly on Win8 x64 with USB 3.0, and as a added gift some older 'incompatible' USB devices that you may own should also now work under Windows 8.

Thanks!!

Working well
thank s a lot

erto90

Jun 21, 2008
Firenze ( Florence )
i have done very steps, but still my phone is not recognized in fastboot mode
if i type ADB DEVICES when phone is booted it shows in attached devices, then i do ADB REBOOT BOOTLOADER, but once in fastboot usb, is no more recognized by pc
(installed intel drivers and followed the guide)
but the pc recognize My HTC also when in fastboot.. lol

Kenchinito

Jul 5, 2011

Step 1: Install the HTC drivers. Follow KidCarter93's method to manually install the Win7 drivers. Read Here. Or you could manually install the latest drivers being maintained in this thread here. I tried them all before arriving at a fix, so my system isnt exactly clean, but I'm sure you could try one or the other as the important part is step 2.

Step 3..... Profit

Thanks!!

You sir, are my hero

Reactions: freddyoprea

nachochiappe

Aug 14, 2012
Buenos Aires
Wow, awesome, this worked like a charm on my HTC One! Was going nuts with this, can't believe the problem was with the USB 3.0 ports! Thanks man, really :good:

Fatelord

Jun 12, 2010
Worked like a charm for my HTC one .. although gotta say this made me appreciate my macbook even more, no need for all this driver nonsense ..

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
I tried following the linked guide, but when I rebooted after installing the first driver, there was no "unknown device" shown under device manager. Dos anyone know what would cause that, or how I could get that to show up?

o0rebelious0o

Nov 15, 2010
London
Or just use linux and everything to do with android just works, no issues, regardless of hardware or usb port type... I just don't even bother trying to do any of this from my win system anymore

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1: Install the HTC drivers from the standard HTC Sync Manager (Win7/8). If you are on Windows 8.1, please use the HTC Drivers linked later in this thread here (thanks Kardus!)
    Follow KidCarter93's method to manually install the Win7 drivers. Read Here. Or you could manually install the latest drivers being maintained in this thread here. I tried them all before arriving at a fix, so my system isnt exactly clean, but I'm sure you could try one or the other as the important part is step 2.

UPDATE: As per Coolookoo's discovery (Thanks Coolookoo!), if you are using a 4th Gen Haswell based Intel CPU, then you need to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers from this link here instead of the link at Plugable's site. You will however still need his modded .inf files.

Step 3..... Profit

Thanks!!
    just tried it, but does not work for me :(

Please get drivers attached and install manually using device manager in Windows 8.1 control panel.

it worked for me :good:
    I was able to find this fix as well and I can confirm that it works great. I am using the Surface Pro for most of my flashing and don't have a USB 2.0 port. I was so glad to find this.
    Thanks for this thread it pointed me in the right direction. I have the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 eXtensibile Host Controller in my Dell Laptop. I fixed the fastboot issues by installing the Intel drivers from:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033082.htm

I just ran the installation wizard which updated the driver and corrected the fastboot issue.
    Thanks for this thread it pointed me in the right direction. I have the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 eXtensibile Host Controller in my Dell Laptop. I fixed the fastboot issues by installing the Intel drivers from:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/usb3/sb/CS-033082.htm

I just ran the installation wizard which updated the driver and corrected the fastboot issue.

many thanks .... it works for me .....