[Q] Have MDL, have root, have zero idea how to get 4.3

Search This thread

DRRies

Jul 7, 2013
Indianapolis
Hello all,

I have had my S4 for awhile now and need some help. When I first received it, I did some reading, rooted, did something that removed a triangle or a padlock, can't remember which one and made sure the AT&T software update was unable to run. At the time, custom recovery wasn't possible so I stopped there. So here I am now, rooted with MDL and I have no idea where to go from here to get the latest 4.3, although apparently I have the holy grail of firmware. ;)

I've read as much as I possibly can, subscribed to the forums, GOOGLED, SEARCHED, RTFM and waited for someone else to come along and ask the very same question. Some did but those threads never really gave me the info I need to SAFELY flash my phone up to 4.3. So what do I do? All I need is some guidance, I follow directions well. Teach me! Please and Thank You

Doug

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE IF YOU STILL HAVE MDL. ....U JUST NEED INSTALL CWM RECOVERY OR TWRP RECOVERY. .... AND THEN INSTALL CUSTOM 4.3 ROM. .... EVEN 4.4 KITKAT ROM. ..... BUT IF U DO UPDATE TO NEWEST MK2 FIRMWARE THEN U WOULD LOSE THE PRIVILEGE OF MDL..... WHICH IS RARE. ..... GOODLUCK

Swyped from MK2 Deadly Venom SS

Reactions: boone8576

DRRies

Jul 7, 2013
Indianapolis
Right! One of the things I have learned is that I want to keep the MDL baseband. What I really want are all the improvements that 4.3 or 4.4 offer. Also, I'm hoping my Pebble and my S4 play better together than they do now.

Do I just pick a recovery? Are they the same? Guess I need to read some more.

Sent from somewhere...

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
Right! One of the things I have learned is that I want to keep the MDL baseband. What I really want are all the improvements that 4.3 or 4.4 offer. Also, I'm hoping my Pebble and my S4 play better together than they do now.

Do I just pick a recovery? Are they the same? Guess I need to read some more.
Sent from somewhere...

This one click tool is pretty awesome. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297033... .. Super easy as 1.2.3.... and have everything u need. ......root....CWM or TWRP recovery and even flash to stock via Odin. ... Hope this work for u and hit THANK button If someone helped you. ...:p:p:D:D

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hello all,

I have had my S4 for awhile now and need some help. When I first received it, I did some reading, rooted, did something that removed a triangle or a padlock, can't remember which one and made sure the AT&T software update was unable to run. At the time, custom recovery wasn't possible so I stopped there. So here I am now, rooted with MDL and I have no idea where to go from here to get the latest 4.3, although apparently I have the holy grail of firmware. ;)

I've read as much as I possibly can, subscribed to the forums, GOOGLED, SEARCHED, RTFM and waited for someone else to come along and ask the very same question. Some did but those threads never really gave me the info I need to SAFELY flash my phone up to 4.3. So what do I do? All I need is some guidance, I follow directions well. Teach me! Please and Thank You

Doug

As ted said, upgrading is bad. You can change modems and such to the MK2 baseband, it's the bootloader that's the issue. As long as you don't try to take any OTA's and don't ODIN any newer version you'll be fine. If you want to run the official AT&T 4.3, your closest bet is StockUp MK2 and the rebloat addon. Otherwise, you can choose either CWM or TWRP and flash away as long as you remember to use the loki patch for things that aren't patched already.

Reactions: ted77usa

DRRies

Jul 7, 2013
Indianapolis
I've read the info at the link you provided before and wondered if I'm already rooted, what would happen? Is that safe to use if currently rooted?

Also, since I'm currently on MDL, would a factory reset return me to a fresh MDL or would it force me to update to current software?

DRRies

Jul 7, 2013
Indianapolis
Ok so I strated with the thread posted. I now have TWRP installed, nandroid backed up and all sorts of zips on my ext card. Also made Kies backups. My first ROM flash, Stockup_MK2 went fine until reboot and I had no mobile data or cell signal. What did i do wrong? I immediately did a restore from the nandroid backup to return to where was before.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Ok so I strated with the thread posted. I now have TWRP installed, nandroid backed up and all sorts of zips on my ext card. Also made Kies backups. My first ROM flash, Stockup_MK2 went fine until reboot and I had no mobile data or cell signal. What did i do wrong? I immediately did a restore from the nandroid backup to return to where was before.

Did you wipe before installing the rom? Just use the slider toggle in wipe. If so, check that the apn is setup correctly.

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth

In stead of a stcok MK2 rom might I suggest a fairly stock but cleaned up rom like MDOB or any other close to stock rom's

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280556

Not advocating any one person but he does good stuff and it based on the actual AT&T update to 4.3.. Make sure you do as the guy above me stated and do the simple swipe to wipe in TWRP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE IF YOU STILL HAVE MDL. ....U JUST NEED INSTALL CWM RECOVERY OR TWRP RECOVERY. .... AND THEN INSTALL CUSTOM 4.3 ROM. .... EVEN 4.4 KITKAT ROM. ..... BUT IF U DO UPDATE TO NEWEST MK2 FIRMWARE THEN U WOULD LOSE THE PRIVILEGE OF MDL..... WHICH IS RARE. ..... GOODLUCK

Hello all,

Doug

As ted said, upgrading is bad. You can change modems and such to the MK2 baseband, it's the bootloader that's the issue. As long as you don't try to take any OTA's and don't ODIN any newer version you'll be fine. If you want to run the official AT&T 4.3, your closest bet is StockUp MK2 and the rebloat addon. Otherwise, you can choose either CWM or TWRP and flash away as long as you remember to use the loki patch for things that aren't patched already.