[Discussion]Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Discussion Thread

Search This thread

xjvcm

Dec 18, 2012
Niantic, well know for creating Pokemon Go, released their new AR game, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. Supposedly, the approach to this game was to build upon what made PoGo great. Right now there is a new root check for this game which is completely different from Pogo. Anyone have any clue on how to run the app with a root device?

novren

Nov 25, 2014
Huh, I thought I was going crazy. I've tried Hide, renaming package, removing all root-named apps... anything we can do?

Mildly

May 30, 2019
I've been playing since the beta and have had no issues running the game. Just make sure you do all the normal steps. If you receive the "Device not supported" error then root or Magisk is being detected.

Hide Magisk Manager (rename)
Magisk Hide Wizards Unite
Ensure Safety net passes
Rename any and all files with "Magisk" in the name on your internal storage to something else i.e Magic.zip

Reactions: CrimsonComet

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
I've been playing since the beta and have had no issues running the game. Just make sure you do all the normal steps. If you receive the "Device not supported" error then root or Magisk is being detected.

Ensure Safety net passes
Rename any and all files with "Magisk" in the name on your internal storage to something else i.e Magic.zip

Renaming the Magisk app/files doesn't affect their function?

Mildly

May 30, 2019
Renaming the Magisk app/files doesn't affect their function?

Sorry meant to say rename all .zip files so if you have a Magisk.zip for flashing make sure to rename the file to something else. Magisk will download a new .zip when updating it so make sure to check your downloads folder.

MrMagic

Feb 20, 2007
I have the same issue, playing the version that was released last Friday.

Magisk Hide seems to work, but it only allows me to play for maybe 5-15 minutes and then the "device not supported" error still pops up.

Edit: Turns out I never used the option to hide Magisk Manager before :) Going to check if that helps.

Last edited:

Phantom Thief

Apr 24, 2017
OnePlus 6T
I have the same issue, playing the version that was released last Friday.

Magisk Hide seems to work, but it only allows me to play for maybe 5-15 minutes and then the "device not supported" error still pops up.

Edit: Turns out I never used the option to hide Magisk Manager before :) Going to check if that helps.

Pretty sure you also have to do that because without magisk manager hidden they can easily detect the original package name. The fact you can play 5-15 minutes it's when they start checking for root. Also happens in pogo. If the error still happens try to clear the data of the app and the root detection should be gone for good

Linuxfornoobs

Jun 23, 2016
I am also getting the same error even after magisk hide and everything else.
After a reboot it works for Quite a while but after a while it reports incompatible device again.

ragnarokx

Sep 1, 2010
Southwest
Same here, nothing named "magisk" on my device anymore, hide is on, still get the message every few minutes

Edit: I forgot to "Hide Magisk Manager (rename)" in the Magisk settings. Played for about an hour today and no incompatibility message! I think that fixed it.

What I did was
1) used Root Explorer and searched my system for "magisk" and renamed or deleted all results
2) hide wizards unite in Magisk Manager
3) go to Magisk Manager settings and click the option that renames the Magisk apk to a random filename

Last edited:

lpfansether

Aug 25, 2010
Same here, nothing named "magisk" on my device anymore, hide is on, still get the message every few minutes

Edit: I forgot to "Hide Magisk Manager (rename)" in the Magisk settings. Played for about an hour today and no incompatibility message! I think that fixed it.

What I did was
1) used Root Explorer and searched my system for "magisk" and renamed or deleted all results
3) go to Magisk Manager settings and click the option that renames the Magisk apk to a random filename

In addition to these steps, I needed to clear the magisk log in magisk manager.

I did this through the following steps,
Tap the menu icon in magisk manager,
Tap log,
Tap the magisk tab (superuser tab may be shown, it doesn't need to be cleared)
Tap the trashcan icon in the top right corner

This is on magisk manager 7.3.2 (224).

Reactions: CrimsonComet

CrimsonComet

Apr 17, 2017
West Coast
The OP should update the original post with these so others after us don't have to search for it or ask the same crap over and over.

I can play this game just fine with root and Xposed framework installed and SafetyNet passing. So long as you don't give the game permission to access storage then there isn't much of a chance that the game is scanning for anything named Magisk but I did it anyway. After following what I've quoted below I still wasn't able to play so I cleared game cache and game storage and then uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Before opening the game I made sure to hide it from Magisk.

In addition, LP is installed on my device and only with its Xposed module was I able to hide LP (package rename). I've read or been told at some point that LP can be detected as a GPS hack or similar so I took the extra step. You don't have to have Xposed at all to run WU on a rooted device but it is required to be able to hide LP.

Ensure Safety net passes

Tap log,

Last edited:

Impact7

Tap log,

Sadly that also doesn't work on my device.
Are you using other modules? I'm thinking right now that Youtube vanced could be a problem.

CrimsonComet

Apr 17, 2017
West Coast
Sadly that also doesn't work on my device.
Are you using other modules? I'm thinking right now that Youtube vanced could be a problem.

YTV would not make WU throw a device incompatibility error. Root in some way or another is being detected by WU or you may have a device that is confirmed not supported. No extra Magisk modules, no extra tricks required.

I can play this game just fine with root and Xposed framework installed and SafetyNet passing. So long as you don't give the game permission to access storage then there isn't much of a chance that the game is scanning for anything named Magisk but I did it anyway. After following what I've quoted below I still wasn't able to play so I cleared game cache and game storage and then uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Before opening the game I made sure to hide it from Magisk.

Ensure Safety net passes

Tap log,

Last edited by a moderator:

ByronFer

Jan 20, 2012
Cuenca
Are the files located at "root" also needed to be removed/renamed? Or only those located at the internal storage? Thanks..

malspam

Jun 27, 2019
Hello,
I’m not sure its the right thread as I don’t have a rooted phone but I didn’t found a lot of threads about the game.
But here is my question:

Do you think the google apps are absolutly necessary ?
I have a lineageOS 16 installed without gapps and can’t pass the login with facebook screen (login with google don’t work, nothing happen)

Linuxfornoobs

Jun 23, 2016
after following these exact steps it instantly gives me incompatible device:
  1. uninstalling wizards unit
  2. rebooting to make sure minimal data is preserved
  3. making sure magisk is renamed to some random string
  4. making sure nothing named "*magisk*" exists on internal storage(and I never gave permission anyways)
  5. install wizards unite
  6. magisk hide wizards unite
  7. start wizards unite and log in with my account etc

Could there be anything that wizards unite checks besides this?
I have tried many times making sure I followed everything exactly, but it still doesnt work.

fyresg

Dec 8, 2011
Singapore
On my Oneplus 3 with LineageOS 16, Magisk 19.3, and GPS Joystick by The App Ninjas, I keep getting "Device Incompatible" error intermittently, i.e., every 5 to 10 minutes. I tried the following:

1. Pokemon Go works perfectly
2. Passed Safety Net (two ticks)
3. Hid the GPS Joystick app
4. Deleted whatever "magisk" named files
5. Confirmed that the game doesn't have file storage access
6. Cleared whatever logs left by Magisk
7. Removed Magisk Manager (didn't hide it)
8. Confirmed that when searching for "magisk" or "gps" in /sdcard/* there is nothing found.
9. Cleared the cache of the game
10. Did not run GPS Joystick (but it is still in /system/priv-app since it was installed via App Systemizer, and hidden by Magisk).

Any ideas?

Update: I fixed it! I have to Magisk hide both the game and the GPS Joystick app.

Last edited:

Impact7

after following these exact steps it instantly gives me incompatible device:
uninstalling wizards unit
rebooting to make sure minimal data is preserved
making sure magisk is renamed to some random string
making sure nothing named "*magisk*" exists on internal storage(and I never gave permission anyways)
install wizards unite
magisk hide wizards unite
start wizards unite and log in with my account etc

Could there be anything that wizards unite checks besides this?
I have tried many times making sure I followed everything exactly, but it still doesnt work.
Tried the same over and over again. If I got time I will full wipe (also internal) and flash my ROM to see if anything from the years before is causing the problem. I'll write here if anything does change.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What I did was
    HPWU checks your build tags too, so make sure yours is release-keys not test-keys

If you have MagiskHide enabled that's already taken care of...

Ensure Safety net passes

What I did was

Tap log,

Excuse me, but what is LP?
    A goddamn piracy app...