Fastboot flash failed: error too many links

Search This thread

pramods

Oct 24, 2008
I mean the images that you want to flash through fastboot, they are basically boot.img, recovery.img, system.img and userdata.img and android-info.txt.

Thanks,
Pramod

Xeroproject

Jan 16, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the help guys, unfortunately I wasn't able to get things going and eventually decided to just start from square one and reload everything I could remember. Who knows what data I've lost, but I was definately losing more by not picking up & moving on.

If anybody gets a better handle on what the "too many links" error is caused by or actually means, I'd love to know if I face this again later down the road when trying to backup using fastboot.

jjq13

Jan 24, 2009
same problem

i was having the same problem about the error, what i did was i used the usb cable that came with the G1 (i was using before some random usb cable) and restarted my phone and computer and it worked. after restarting my G1 and computer and using the usb cable that came with the phone i finally pass the error. trust me i was scare.

cid425

Jul 28, 2006
i was having the same problem about the error, what i did was i used the usb cable that came with the G1 (i was using before some random usb cable) and restarted my phone and computer and it worked. after restarting my G1 and computer and using the usb cable that came with the phone i finally pass the error. trust me i was scare.

i had the same problem till i used the cable that came with it to but the goofy thing about it is the cable that wouldn't work with my windows machine would work with fastboot on my linux machine weird yet another windows quirk i guess lol

nuttyCreaToR

Sep 29, 2005
I had the same problem, and using the usb cable that was provided together with the phone by t-mobile also fixed the problem............very strange.....

ESKIMOn00b

Apr 16, 2009
alabama
has anyone been succesful in fastbooting to a g1 with a standard mini usb cable not the extUSB htc/t-mo provides? i was under the impression the extra pins were for audio use but they may also be used for fastbooting....

just a thought, feel free to tell me to shut up

Aug 29, 2008
I am having the exact same problem.
It hapened after I used ppstosd_signed.apk when I was supposed to be using apps20sd2.apk.
Sine then I have repeatedly and in this order;

reflashed the recovery image (JF1.43 Recoveryimg)
reflashed hardSPL
reflashed jfv1.5
tried to reflash my data.img but failed due to too many links
on my other computer it just hangs <waiting for device>
phone works fine and I'm running the dudes v1.1 manup bluetheme

I would really like to know how to solve this problem, rebooting is not working at all for me.

I'm using the usb cable that came with the phone
im running winxp sp3 and all my drivers are updated to android 1.5 (adb drivers for fastboot and usb drivers)

majatt

Jan 26, 2009
Had this problem as well

Had this problem as well used a ferrite core on 2 cables (a random cable and the default cable) neither worked. Then I stopped using the usb ports at the front of my computer (they seemed a bit dodgy not recognizing devices etc.) and used one at the rear.

Worked immediately :) no reboot etc.

Reactions: CVAngelo

DrTusk

Jul 4, 2009
usb ports

Same for me - running these tools on my laptop and kept getting the links error. Switched to a different USB port and voila! everything was fine.

macshade

Jun 20, 2006
solved

I had same problem, removed battery from phone, then restarted phone, tried fasboot before conecting USB cable (" it said waiting for phone"), conected cable and it worked.....

Don't know why but it did.

Hope this help's

ionutz6

Nov 9, 2006
Bucharest
im having the same issue as reported for a N1 in connection to a Vista Pro x32 machine. Same FAILED - too many links error.
I'll try some of the things suggested here, like different USB ports, reboot computer/N1, etc. and post results...

skim7x

Aug 15, 2010
Same problem~! I am using a non-HTC/T-Mobile cable, but when I moved from using the USB ports in the front of my computer to the ones in the back, it worked!! Weird!!

AltairDusk

Apr 6, 2009
Like others have said try another USB port. In my case I was using the port on my Razer keyboard (convenience) and getting the too many links error. Connected it directly and it worked fine, in my case I'm actually using the tiny 1" long USB cable that came with my Jawbone (cable that came with the N1 was at work and I needed to fix a bad recovery flash through ROM Manager).

0__0

Dec 21, 2010
i've had the same problem. but i guess now i know why the problem occurs and the solution for it :

the problem occurs because : windows's usb drivers. if u plug u'r phone to the same usb hub all the time and if windows had several different usb drivers for the device ( like one for the mass storage and one for the android debugging and plus one for the original vendor's ( like htc,samsung or apple's own usb drivers) to the same device on the same usb hub ) .

so it gets kinda buggy. and if u still continue to use that port maybe ( i did for example ) u may have some write-read erros when you mount your internal sd to the computer.
anyways. the solution : is to remove all the usb drivers and reload them one by one when you need them. there is a program called "usb deview" as of 21-12-2010 : ver. 1.84 is out ( one can google this ) . i tried this and it worked . maybe there are other ways to remove windows assigned usb drivers but i don't know about them.

and i'm sure linux has the same kind of driver issue for this problem although i've never tried it with linux.

oLf06

Oct 3, 2011
please tell me how you get rid of that problem .. i downloaded usb deview but dont really know what to do with it ...

drife

Aug 29, 2008
Try a Different USB Cable!!!!!

Fastboot returns Data Transfer Failed (too many links)

swapped to a cable with ferrite cores on BOTH ends. though this good cable looked like chicken wire compared to the bad one, PROBLEM SOLVED!

5 freakin' hours wasted just because of a bad cable:( now this bad cable is covered in kerosene. and i have a lighter in my hand :D

yaro666

Feb 16, 2008
Królewska Huta
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
[solved]
tried 5 different cables, 1 notebook, 1 PC, usbdeview uninstalled all others drivers except htc bootloader and still no luck, maybe tomorrow on other 2 cables will be more lucky.

after many tries it worked!
I removed step 1:
fastboot flash radio Radio_HTC_PVT_32A_6.35.10.18.img - THIS NOT DONE 1st time
fastboot flash hboot hboot-1.76.2007.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then all the rest flashed and then I flashed it again (all the steps):
fastboot flash radio Radio_HTC_PVT_32A_6.35.10.18.img
fastboot flash hboot hboot-1.76.2007.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.img
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot reboot-bootloader

with cable that didn't worked earlier.
it is time to flash rom

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for fastboot -w flashall to work you need to set the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT variable, where boot.img, recovery.img and system.img file are, on window just use the set command
    set ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=c:\<your directory where the files are>
    and then run fastboot -w flashall

-Pramod
    The same directory also need to have android-info.txt file, this file just have a single entry as board=trout in it, if you don't have it create this file and then run fastboot again

-Pramod
    Had this problem as well

Had this problem as well used a ferrite core on 2 cables (a random cable and the default cable) neither worked. Then I stopped using the usb ports at the front of my computer (they seemed a bit dodgy not recognizing devices etc.) and used one at the rear.

Worked immediately :) no reboot etc.
    Same problem here, just changed the usb cable and everything worked fine!

thank's
    I flashed the stock recovery and when I flashed it(fastboot rebootRUU abd the fastboot flash firmware.zip(I had my european rom 989 mb renamed) it said sending zip and then parsing rom and then FAILED too many links. What should I do?