• yes

Votes: 109 99.1%
  • no

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread
G

GuestK00386

so i will start off by saying i was disappointed when i got this device because i thought it had full access to the Google play store when only 5% or less apps work, none of which i want (Netflix, hulu, plex etc. not there) i was looking for this device to be both a media server/gaming device for some asphalt 8/real racing action. etc. so i am starting this thread to hope it attracts attention and we can get someone to help us root it because if we can accomplish that i heard of a program called market helper that would trick the market into thinking we are using an s4 or something.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
so i will start off by saying i was disappointed when i got this device because i thought it had full access to the Google play store when only 5% or less apps work, none of which i want (Netflix, hulu, plex etc. not there) i was looking for this device to be both a media server/gaming device for some asphalt 8/real racing action. etc. so i am starting this thread to hope it attracts attention and we can get someone to help us root it because if we can accomplish that i heard of a program called market helper that would trick the market into thinking we are using an s4 or something.

Thanks for starting it. I am in the same situation. Just for the context, it has Exynos 5250 dual core processor @1.7ghz and a 1TB hard drive inside mounted with ext4 in /storage/emulated/0 (also /sdcard etc.).

I'm trying to root it since a week now without success. I tried to flash self-made boot.tar with boot.img inside using Odin 3.09, but it FAILS. Same goes for pre-rooted system.img. It seems that this bootlader has a lock and it's checking signature, since we can't sign it like Samsung, it refuses to flash. Heimdall 1.4.0 also fails with a message stating "failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence". I've tried some chinese websites root method, but it also did not work (Odin does not flash the root file).

I've downgraded from Oct 2013 firmware to an ealiest one that I could find : B9150ZSABME2_B9150OZSBME2_TGY from May 2013. With this, I ran Cydia Impactor on it and it was able to place /system/xbin/su into the system partition. However, it is not setuid root, thus when I run su, it just waits forever. I don't know how the exploit can place the binary there but not make it setuid root. Supersu.apk is also installed, but it does not launch normally and dies.

The Impactor is able to run a telnetd server as "system" user, but system user also can't setuid root the su binary. It can't mount system RW. Impactor can't launch a telnet server as root neither.

I've tried some other exploits that were found for S4 (pwn etc. ), DoomLord v17. It all failed. I also tried SRS One Click Root, and Chinese eroot, they also failed. I'm now out of ideas and appreciate if anyone would have any idea.

I am attaching partition layout. I can also send the kernel if necessary.

Attachments

• homesync-partititions-info.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,085
G

GuestK00386

okay so this is what i have done so far, i know nothing about developing a root procedure but i am very impatient.

nova launcher installed (forced landscape in nova settings and now every app loads landscape like it should)
Blackmart (this is where i will be downloading all my apps from straight to the device)
got angry birds installed as a test app (worked perfectly)

did all this in a few minutes before i went to bed and will keep exploring tonight, hope this helps some people who own the device. next im going to try and install a FPS or racing game and see how that turns out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-25-11-05-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-25-11-05-56.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,537
  • Screenshot_2013-10-25-11-08-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-25-11-08-10.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,535

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
Erik10002, I've also installed Nova, but then you lose the status bar as the notifications on Samsung firmware is a bit diferent (on upper left side with an indicator count). I'm not sure if it would be usable without status bar. (or am I mistaken? ie where the running program icons shall be seen as well as the clock, etc.).

It seems that our device has some kind of kernel protection or capability restriction to run setuid root su binary, according to Saurik himself. So I will try to further think how it can be overcome.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Erik10002, I've also installed Nova, but then you lose the status bar as the notifications on Samsung firmware is a bit diferent (on upper left side with an indicator count). I'm not sure if it would be usable without status bar. (or am I mistaken? ie where the running program icons shall be seen as well as the clock, etc.).

It seems that our device has some kind of kernel protection or capability restriction to run setuid root su binary, according to Saurik himself.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
Two methods :
1) power off. Then press function button, hold it, then press power button. Led will be red. This is download mode
2) enable developer mode, usb debugging. Then connect it to your pc with its micro USB port and run adb reboot download
If you want recovery, adb reboot recovery

Reactions: dominicbeers
G

GuestK00386

not a glimmer of hope for root on this device so far :crying:

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
Yes unfortunately nobody seems to be interested. I also gave up and using it stock now. Except the issue of not being able to write timestamps on internal files, it's OK. For timestamps issue, I just use an external USB and use internal ones for files where I don't care about creation modification times. (ie movies etc)

I want to try to open its case to see if hdd is replaceable and if I can externally set 777 permissions on files which may help me set timestamps. Any clue how this box can be opened?

G

GuestK00386

Don't know how to open it up and yes it is a shame as I was looking for this to be an android multimedia powerhouse and Android game console and those dreams got crushed although I got real racing up and running (and it runs smoothly) and get all my apps/games through blackmart alpha I have been to lazy to get an android gaming controller and am currently just using the box as a backup for my Galaxy devices but will venture further eventually. Surprised this thread I started hasn't got more attention because when I type Samsung homesync root into Google this is the 2nd link on the page I think. I will keep praying, one day, one day!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
In fact it's still OK. I'm running SMB server and SSH server on it. They run on non standard ports but all my pc are Linux so it's not an issue.
I have Torrent for downloading, Xbmc for media, bittorent sync for syncing. Biggest annoyance is the timestamp issue that's bugging all phones and tablets with ext4 sdcards and that play store is a joke with nearly all apps not compatible while most of them run just fine. Why did Sammy do something like this is beyond my understanding.

Reactions: thsvndrmr

toan3000

Dec 6, 2006
I think this device has powerful hardware specs but poor software, Wish someone find a way to root it so we can use it more effective

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Let's create an vote for this device so any dev find way to root it!

miazza

Apr 5, 2009
I think this device has powerful hardware specs but poor software, Wish someone find a way to root it so we can use it more effective

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Let's create an vote for this device so any dev find way to root it!

I do believe that this device will not have great success.
The first point is that it is only devoted to Samsung devices. Why ? I have another android Phone and I cannot use this stuff... :(

If I have to spend 300 Euro for a device that requires other samsung device, this is a closed one like a MAC and I dislike it.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
You can install homesync apk by side loading at least on some Android phones and tablets, as far as I read in some Websites. You could give it a try.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

bmkindoll

Oct 3, 2010
How does XBMC run on this thing? And does the Homesync Phone Remote Control work within XBMC? Thats the main reason I'm looking to get this device quite honestly.

Thanks a lot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello guys, i know this is out of the topic but i cannot find anywhere to ask this,, i just got my homesync yesterday, immeiately i hook it up into my tv,, however i could not set up my device (note3) as administrator. also in the settings of the homesync, my samsung account's auto sync is disable and i could not enable it,, thanks in advance for the answer

Hi, I also had some issues with the original firmware. Try to upgrade it either from the UI (settings, about) or using Odin or Kies after downloading the latest firmware for your country from sammobile.com . I had MJ3 firmware which was working good.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Guys,

I finally managed to root the Homesync. Here's what I've done.
    1) Make sure you're at a firmware like MJ3 or earlier. I tried on ML4 but it did not work on this one.
    2) Download "saferoot" from the following link:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758
    3) Then read the following post:
    https://github.com/koush/Superuser/issues/196
    and download the following supersu update:
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip
    4) Extract the newly downloadaed superuser.zip and find the su binary in armeabi folder and the superuser.apk in the root folder of the extracted zip file
    5) Copy the new su binary and the superuser.apk to the files directory inside extracted saferoot directory. Replace the existing su and superuser.apk
    6) Enable development mode and then usb debugging on Homesync
    7) run saferoot, let it do its job

You shall now be rooted. If you want to keep it, don't upgrade to newer firmware. I'll try to see if there's a way to upgrade but still keep root.

PS. All credit goes to k1mu who built the saferoot tool and the discussion in the bug report, and the updated su from Koush.
    Few details on rooting and enabling play store, I added in SD referring this forum. Little clean version
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can be rooted!
    1) Make sure you're at a firmware like MJ3 or earlier. I tried on ML4 but it did not work on this one.
    2) Download "saferoot" from the following link:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758
    3) Then read the following post:
    https://github.com/koush/Superuser/issues/196
    and download the following supersu update:
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/superuser/superuser.zip
    4) Extract the newly downloadaed superuser.zip and find the su binary in armeabi folder and the superuser.apk in the root folder of the extracted zip file
    5) Copy the new su binary and the superuser.apk to the files directory inside extracted saferoot directory. Replace the existing su and superuser.apk
    6) Enable development mode and then usb debugging on Homesync
    Enable development mode from Settings>About Device > Click on the Build number about several times until Development mode pops up, and then checked usb debugging box
    Connect USB cable from your PC to microUSB on HomeSync, install Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones (google it) so that the computer can connect to the HomeSync
    7) run saferoot, let it do its job
    go to saferoot folder on your PC, run the install.bat to begin rooted process.

Update : existing firmware MH8 is rootable too. below is the log

Code:
    D:\Homesync\saferoot>install.bat
    ---        Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Root         ---
    --- Based on the CVE-2013-6282 exploit by cubeundcube ---

[*] Testing adb usability

Plug in your phone and Press any key to continue . . .

[*] Waiting for your phone to appear
    [*] Your phone is detected and ready for rooting.

[*] Sending files to your device...

[*] Starting rooting program.
    ro.build.product=spcwifi
    ro.build.id=JDQ39
    search kallsyms...
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    (kallsyms_addresses=c0604000)
    (kallsyms_num_syms=0000d760)
    kernel dump...
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

prepare_kernel_cred=c0051d10
    commit_creds=c0051920
    ptmx_fops=c0994888
    ptmx_open=c022e40c
    tty_init_dev=c0225f58
    tty_release=c022611c
    tty_fasync=c022502c
    ptm_driver=00000000

Succeeded in getroot!
    Remount success!
    Copying files..
    Done.. reboot to enable root!

[*] Checking if rooting succeeded
    [*] Removing temporary files...

[*] Trying to disable Knox...
    Unknown id: disable

[*] Rebooting... Please wait.
    [*] Waiting for device to re-appear...

Wait until your phone reboots,then unlock it and Press any key to continue . . .

On your phone, open SuperSU and let it update if it asks.
    When SuperSU is done updating, Press any key to continue . . .
    On your phone, watch for the SuperSU permission popup and give
    permission for ADB Shell to gain root permissions.

USAGE: sleep SECONDS
    [*] Disabling Knox
    Unknown id: disable
    [*] Setting Permissions
    unknown option -- o
    Usage: su [options] [--] [-] [LOGIN] [--] [args...]

Options:
      --daemon                      start the su daemon agent
      -c, --command COMMAND         pass COMMAND to the invoked shell
      -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
      -, -l, --login                pretend the shell to be a login shell
      -m, -p,
      --preserve-environment        do not change environment variables
      -s, --shell SHELL             use SHELL instead of the default /system/bin/sh
      -u                            display the multiuser mode and exit
      -v, --version                 display version number and exit
      -V                            display version code and exit,
                                    this is used almost exclusively by Superuser.apk

unknown option -- f

Options:
      -m, -p,

unknown option -- f

Options:
      -m, -p,

Usage: chmod [OPTION] <MODE> <FILE>
      -R, --recursive         change files and directories recursively
      --help                  display this help and exit
    Unknown id: /system/xbin/super
    [*] Installing busybox
    unknown option -- install

Options:
      -m, -p,

unknown option -- o

Options:
      -m, -p,

--- All Finished ---
    Press any key to continue . . .

You can download any MJ3, such as the one from Turkey or Singapore, etc. Installing this with Odin will make you lose all what's inside the Homesync (including the 1TB drive content), so make sure to backup. (Thanks Fastguy)
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1/?model=GT-B9150&pcode=XSP#firmware

ENABLING PLAY STORE
    Note: You have to root first,
    This is simplest method found and you dont need to edit build.prop. if this helps, consider donating app developer.
    Steps:
    1.Download Market helper from http://codekiem.com/market-helper/latest
    2.Install and open
    3.It will ask for root permissions, grant
    4.Use settings as for nexus 7
    5. Enable device on google dashboard

TA DAA.. you are all set.

If you reboot, you have to follow above steps again. Anyway this device supposed to be turn on all time (personal cloud) so this should not matter.

Full steps
    http://codekiem.com/2013/02/13/market-helper/
    Guys my Homesync's emmc got fried, I can't write or delete anything anymore. So I will open the box, extract the HDD and retire it. I won't be contributing in this thread anymore.
    LOulOo I am tempted to try to flash Nexus 10 recovery or the 4.2.2 nexus factory system.img

I spent a lot of hours yesterday trying to bring a stock navbar with clock and notifications but I failed. I also still can't see the usual apps in Play store although I did all possible changes in the build.prop.

I will hope that the system.img from nexus 10 is compatible :)

I also wrote to Chainfire for a flash kernel for Mobile Odin but he did not write back yet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    In fact it's still OK. I'm running SMB server and SSH server on it. They run on non standard ports but all my pc are Linux so it's not an issue.
    I have Torrent for downloading, Xbmc for media, bittorent sync for syncing. Biggest annoyance is the timestamp issue that's bugging all phones and tablets with ext4 sdcards and that play store is a joke with nearly all apps not compatible while most of them run just fine. Why did Sammy do something like this is beyond my understanding.