Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So I notice something funky today

I'm on Nov sec patch
Dark theme on
If I open the dialler the themes is grey
However if I bring brightness to <50%
Lock my screen then unlock it the theme / colour goes almost purple?

I tried taking screenshots but the result is the same grey colour

Anyone else experiencing this?

nadiros

Mar 3, 2010
New Westminster
Yes, it's the way the screen works at the moment. Its why the 90htz was only used at higher brightness levels, but they tried to please the people complaining about it (Nov patch) and here we are.

So yes it's "normal" behavior for now.

Reactions: Alcolawl and Paz9

Bwyan Benton

Jun 29, 2010
Windsor, Ontario
Yes, it's the way the screen works at the moment. Its why the 90htz was only used at higher brightness levels, but they tried to please the people complaining about it (Nov patch) and here we are.

Will never please everyone. People will always find a reason to b**ch.

Sent from my Google Pixel 4 XL using XDA Labs

Reuben_skelz92

Feb 20, 2016
OPPO Find X5 Pro
But this shouldn't happen. The 90hz isn't an excuse. It's a bug. The OnePlus didn't ever have this issue .
I've turned always on display and the issue goes away, but if I get a notification the horrible green returns, I turn the screen off and back on and it goes back to normal ...no tint. It's a really fustrating and rubbish bug

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
But this shouldn't happen. The 90hz isn't an excuse. It's a bug. The OnePlus didn't ever have this issue .
I've turned always on display and the issue goes away, but if I get a notification the horrible green returns, I turn the screen off and back on and it goes back to normal ...no tint. It's a really fustrating and rubbish bug
Neither running Smooth Display Option, nor on Force 90 Hz does this purple tint happen on my XL. Tested in pitch black surrounding.

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Neither running Smooth Display Option, nor on Force 90 Hz does this purple tint happen on my XL. Tested in pitch black surrounding.

Take off force 90hz just leave smooth display on
No aod, or motion sense and no adaptive brightness or ambient eq

Put the brightness down in a dark room, open the dialler, lock the screen the unlock it

I just tried it on 3 pixel 4xls and all had the same thing
You can see the color change back when you put the brightness back up

Sometimes it doesn't stick but changes back pretty quick
At times it gets stuck purple ish

Reuben_skelz92

Feb 20, 2016
OPPO Find X5 Pro

Put the brightness down in a dark room, open the dialler, lock the screen the unlock it

I can even notice it in normal brightness now, and gets worse as it dims. I've got AOD off. Sometimes the green is there other times I turn screen off and on its not, it's not normal

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Are you running the XL, or the standard 4!?
4 xl

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I can even notice it in normal brightness now, and gets worse as it dims. I've got AOD off. Sometimes the green is there other times I turn screen off and on its not, it's not normal

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

4 xl

Hopefully Google can fix it with a patch
I guess that's why they disabled 90hz under 75% brightness originally

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b

I know how to do it, and as I stated, I can't seem to replicate it on my 4XL. Brightness was at 15% when I tried it yesterday evening after sundown and in absolute darkness of my bedroom. Didn't test it prior to November Patch, so I can't tell if I had it previously.

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Maybe but I don't believe it's hardware limitations or the OnePlus would be the same or the green tint would be there all the time. Debating wether to get the 7t pro or try another 4 XL but it's driving me nuts. Why Google why lok

Definitely software
Calibration curve is Off At lower brightness
Ievery pixel 4xl I have seen (so far 6) have the same thing going on

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Software or not it's doing my head in and noticeable most of the time. Might try another unit just in case

Yeah definitely!
Sometimes I notice it switches back to normal but most of the time it doesn't
I walked. into my local phone Shop and they had about 3 on display and It was persistent on all of them
I even showed the store assistant he was just as baffled as me haha

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
Why do Google have to mess up something. It bothers me enough to not have one ???

It's probably not going to be fixed until next month by the earliest. So either you have to put up with it or return it and get a different device. Sounds like returning it will be your best route cuase it seems to bothering you to the point where it's starting to cause stress/distress in your life and nothing is worth that honestly.

Reuben_skelz92

Feb 20, 2016
OPPO Find X5 Pro
It's probably not going to be fixed until next month by the earliest. So either you have to put up with it or return it and get a different device. Sounds like returning it will be your best route cuase it seems to bothering you to the point where it's starting to cause stress/distress in your life and nothing is worth that honestly.
Ive ordered the OnePlus 7t to see how I get on..got from Amazon so easy returns. Although some of it I think it software, I don't think the quality panels of these are that great overall . I will get a pixel replacement too

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
Ive ordered the OnePlus 7t to see how I get on..got from Amazon so easy returns. Although some of it I think it software, I don't think the quality panels of these are that great overall . I will get a pixel replacement too

Good luck! I'm tired of the exchange game for oleds, it's very tiring. Did it with the Pixel 2 and now the galaxy tab 6 and did it once for this device for the purple hue and I just want to stop now. All the back and forth with Google support just saps the life right out of my body. Then having to pack everything up and set it all up put another screen protector. I still have a tab s6 with uniformity issues that doesn't show up in normal usage so I just gave up lol.. Years ago I would of kept going until I got perfection/near perfection with the chance of possibly having Amazon blacklist my account from all the returns/exchanges.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Will never please everyone. People will always find a reason to b**ch.

Definitely software
    Calibration curve is Off At lower brightness
    Ievery pixel 4xl I have seen (so far 6) have the same thing going on
    Software or not it's doing my head in and noticeable most of the time. Might try another unit just in case
    Yeah, the display is still pretty solid for me but it sucks when you're reading and the backgrounds are the colors that really highlights the uniformity issues and makes them quite glaring. I use nightmode when I'm in bed reading and some of the pages are that right shade of gray and really brings out the uniformity issue on the right side of the display. I can live with it but I can still return until Jan. Also, if I do see a good deal on BF I will definitely take advantage of it and return and get another one maybe a different color and see if that helps. Since I noticed the mountain gray went on sale so quickly after release. It was $450 or so for a brand new from best buy for the 256 GB model. So perhaps they had a bad batch of gray where they put all the panels from the outer parts of the wafer they cut. Probably wanted to unload them and hope that people don't notice.
    Yeah it's possible. When did you get yours ? I ordered mine day it was released lol