• Blocking ads

Votes: 989 64.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

merslei

Aug 9, 2019
Hi can someone please help me. I'm in pie rom started from clean flash LR rom. I can't for the life of me download any apps from playstore. It stuck at wating for download. I confirmed I have net. I already deleted data, cache, disable, updated playstore, reboot my phone, still no luck. I didn't import xml to netguard. Just host file I'm using on my other devices. I had same setup. Enabled all apps related to google, playstore, and download. What am I missing? I don't like to temporarily off my netguard just to test. Data will get leak

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi can someone please help me. I'm in pie rom started from clean flash LR rom. I can't for the life of me download any apps from playstore. It stuck at wating for download. I confirmed I have net. I already deleted data, cache, disable, updated playstore, reboot my phone, still no luck. I didn't import xml to netguard. Just host file I'm using on my other devices. I had same setup. Enabled all apps related to google, playstore, and download. What am I missing? I don't like to temporarily off my netguard just to test. Data will get leak
Try to disable ad blocking.

iwanttoknow

Jun 21, 2016
Hi all,

I read advices here and in NetGuard FAQ about ad blocking.

NetGuard ad blocking works randomly since I installed NetGuard v2.282 . I verified it with this link :
https://www.netguard.me/test

and when ad are displayed by applications.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

BTW, how are you flushing Android DNS cache ? I want to be sure of that. My device is not rooted.

pleasetouchmenot

Nov 12, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hi,

Sorry if this question was asked for about a thousand times but, is it okay to set the DNS to 1.1.1.2 (Cloudflare with Anti Malware) instead of 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) in NetGuard DNS settings? Does adblock still works if I set it to Cloudflare (anti malware) DNS?
And is it safe to disable the wifi and data connection for "root" app in system settings? And what does it do exactly?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi all,

I read advices here and in NetGuard FAQ about ad blocking.

NetGuard ad blocking works randomly since I installed NetGuard v2.282 . I verified it with this link :
https://www.netguard.me/test

and when ad are displayed by applications.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

BTW, how are you flushing Android DNS cache ? I want to be sure of that. My device is not rooted.

Not all ads can be blocked:
https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/blob/master/ADBLOCKING.md

You can't flush the Android DNS cache.

Reactions: iwanttoknow

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,

Sorry if this question was asked for about a thousand times but, is it okay to set the DNS to 1.1.1.2 (Cloudflare with Anti Malware) instead of 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) in NetGuard DNS settings? Does adblock still works if I set it to Cloudflare (anti malware) DNS?
And is it safe to disable the wifi and data connection for "root" app in system settings? And what does it do exactly?
You can set any DNS server address you which and ad blocking will still work.

root traffic will always be allowed, else the internet of your device won't work properly anymore.

Reactions: pleasetouchmenot

pleasetouchmenot

Nov 12, 2015
Redmi Note 8 Pro
You can set any DNS server address you which and ad blocking will still work.

root traffic will always be allowed, else the internet of your device won't work properly anymore.
Whoa I removed the internet connection of that root system app recently out of curiosity. But luckily I reinstalled Netguard and set it back to untouched state. Didn't knew that kind of system app can mess up my device if I continue to block it. Thank you for the clarifications. :)

Subbasebbl

Jan 29, 2018
Hello Marcel....

I have a few IP Cams.

I dont wanna use the Original Company App, so i blocked it for Mobile and WiFi.I use it for settings only.
The Prob is, i can still see the Pic in the App, even though I blocked both.

Any Ideas ?

greetings

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have a few IP Cams.

I dont wanna use the Original Company App, so i blocked it for Mobile and WiFi.I use it for settings only.

Any Ideas ?

I can only point you to the global acces log to check which connections are being made.

Ikearat

Dec 30, 2010
Hello Marcel....

I have a few IP Cams.

Any Ideas ?

greetings

I have an app that behaves like this. It's an FTP server built-in to the file manager provided with my device. NetGuard does not report any traffic to or from this app while it is in use. In fact, NetGuard does not report this app as having any network connectivity at all. I only use this app with mobile data turned-off and on my 10-network home WiFi setup.
Perhaps your IPcamera app runs as a service and the cameras make their connections to the app instead of your app fetching from the cameras. This would make sense to me as creating unique connections to a bunch of cameras would be much harder to implement than just having a server respond to all cameras that know how to talk nice to the server.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have an app that behaves like this. It's an FTP server built-in to the file manager provided with my device. NetGuard does not report any traffic to or from this app while it is in use. In fact, NetGuard does not report this app as having any network connectivity at all. I only use this app with mobile data turned-off and on my 10-network home WiFi setup.
Perhaps your IPcamera app runs as a service and the cameras make their connections to the app instead of your app fetching from the cameras. This would make sense to me as creating unique connections to a bunch of cameras would be much harder to implement than just having a server respond to all cameras that know how to talk nice to the server.
Traffic of servers is not flowing through the Android VPN, so NetGuard cannot manage the traffic for servers.

Note that by default Android does not allow incoming connections at all for security reasons.

In addition: IMHO a mobile device is unsuitable to run servers.

Ikearat

Dec 30, 2010
Traffic of servers is not flowing through the Android VPN, so NetGuard cannot manage the traffic for servers.

Note that by default Android does not allow incoming connections at all for security reasons.

In addition: IMHO a mobile device is unsuitable to run servers.

The part where Android does not allow incoming connections by default is comforting however as the application I am familiar with was included in my phone's build and that server could have been active by "default" by the vendor's standards, please don't get too comfortable with the idea that all incoming traffic is blocked. When the server (or any server) is running something is being allowed in otherwise the outside client could not discover the existence of the server or it's capabilities.
NetGuard does a very good job managing the traffic it has access to. It can't cover all contentions or it would be a huge application and Marcel would lose his mind. :)
I agree about the use of server applications on a phone. There is far too little user control over the inner workings of Android (unless you Root and are schooled, wise and careful) for servers to be safe. I use the FTP service in the application I have under strict controls and with the understanding of who provided the application (China) for the function of transferring GPX and mp3 files without having to physically attach my phone to my desktop. In concert with FireFTP on my browser I have an easy way to manage the files on my phone :)
The secret to all of this is be careful and trust only after verification. Read the end-user agreements and weigh the benefits of the application against the loss of privacy and security risks. We are all little bits of income for companies and thieves.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The part where Android does not allow incoming connections by default is comforting however as the application I am familiar with was included in my phone's build and that server could have been active by "default" by the vendor's standards, please don't get too comfortable with the idea that all incoming traffic is blocked. When the server (or any server) is running something is being allowed in otherwise the outside client could not discover the existence of the server or it's capabilities.
NetGuard does a very good job managing the traffic it has access to. It can't cover all contentions or it would be a huge application and Marcel would lose his mind. :)
I agree about the use of server applications on a phone. There is far too little user control over the inner workings of Android (unless you Root and are schooled, wise and careful) for servers to be safe. I use the FTP service in the application I have under strict controls and with the understanding of who provided the application (China) for the function of transferring GPX and mp3 files without having to physically attach my phone to my desktop. In concert with FireFTP on my browser I have an easy way to manage the files on my phone :)
The secret to all of this is be careful and trust only after verification. Read the end-user agreements and weigh the benefits of the application against the loss of privacy and security risks. We are all little bits of income for companies and thieves.
Normal apps without root permissions cannot run servers on privileged ports (FTP, HTTP, etc) and ports accessible from outside of your device. If your vendor includes this kind of stuff, well, let your wallet speak and don't buy from this vendor ever again.

aUnknown

Jul 8, 2020
Problem with NetGuard app.

@M66B Problem with NetGuard app.

I have Android 5.1 (Huawei cun u29) device and recently installed netguard for get rid from 3 google system apps and configured default 'block' mode 'System', 'Google contact sync' and 'Root'
however i am unable to solve that issue with netguard because eg: the root app establish connections to google IPs(TCP) and DNS(while i use other provider) but for other apps and updates it use the custom DNS server without problem.

How to solve that problem?

-------------

@M66B and Anyone[/MENTION]
I prefer move to lineageos due android 5.1 already very old and some apps also no longer support. Unfortunately i have no way to unlock the bootloader (due no bootloader code). Can someone help for this or suggest me alternative way for solve this too?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B Problem with NetGuard app.

I have Android 5.1 (Huawei cun u29) device and recently installed netguard for get rid from 3 google system apps and configured default 'block' mode 'System', 'Google contact sync' and 'Root'
however i am unable to solve that issue with netguard because eg: the root app establish connections to google IPs(TCP) and DNS(while i use other provider) but for other apps and updates it use the custom DNS server without problem.

How to solve that problem?
Did you set two custom DNS server addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

NetGuard provides simple and advanced ways to block access to the internet - no root required.
    Applications and addresses can individually be allowed or denied access to your Wi-Fi and/or mobile connection.

Blocking access to the internet can help:
    • reduce your data usage
    • save your battery
    • increase your privacy

Features:
    • Simple to use
    • No root required
    • 100% open source
    • No calling home
    • No tracking or analytics
    • No advertisements
    • Actively developed and supported
    • Android 5.1 and later supported
    • IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP supported
    • Tethering supported
    • Optionally allow when screen on
    • Optionally block when roaming
    • Optionally block system applications
    • Optionally forward ports, also to external addresses (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Optionally notify when an application accesses the internet
    • Optionally record network usage per application per address
    • Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)
    • Material design theme with light and dark theme

PRO features
    • Log all outgoing traffic; search and filter access attempts; export PCAP files to analyze traffic
    • Allow/block individual addresses per application
    • New application notifications; configure NetGuard directly from the notification
    • Display network speed graph in a status bar notification
    • Select from five additional themes in both light and dark version

There is no other no-root firewall, except for clones, offering all these features.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of NetGuard.
    Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to NetGuard and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

NetGuard is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

For ad blocking, see here. Ad blocking is provide "as-is".

More information on Github:

Downloads:

Screenshots:
    101-main.png
    102-main-details.png

103-main-access.png
    108-notifications.png

For more screenshots, see here.
    I have just released stable version 2.39.

Changelog/download
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.39

This version will be available in the Play store after Google's approval.

Usage data sharing has been removed from this version.

The future of this project depends on the general support for this project. You can for example write something positive here or in the Play store, press the thanks button, donate something, purchase a pro feature or contribute translations or source code.
    NetGuard is currently in alpha testing phase.
    Please report any problems you encounter.

It would be nice if someone could design an appropriate icon.
    I have just released beta version 2.21.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases/tag/2.21

This version will be available as beta version in the Play store after Google's approval.