Return MJ5 to Stock after Kingo Root

Search This thread

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
I had a heck of a dilemma this past week.

I have the N900A that I rooted using Kingo Root. No safestrap or new roms, just rooted. I obviously had the 'Custom' icon.

At day 20, my phone wouldn't charge any more or be recognized by USB. I tried everything. Factory reset, cleaned the port, cleaned the cables, new cables. Nothing helped. And it would have to be warranty exchanged through AT&T, but the warranty was voided because of root. I couldn't use Kingo to unroot, because the PC wouldn't recognize it.

I was able to find a workaround, using this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559715

In fact, I really only used the third step. I didn't download or flash the rom. By some miracle, the PC would connect to the phone when it was in download mode. I used Odin to flash those four files, rebooted, and the custom icon was gone.

I'm hoping that this has removed all trace of root from the phone. The knox counter is still at zero.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else had a similar problem.

Last edited:

ZOMBIExM4STER

Jan 31, 2014
Return to stock

I had a heck of a dilemma this past week.

I have the N900A that I rooted using Kingo Root. No safestrap or new roms, just rooted. I obviously had the 'Custom' icon.

At day 20, my phone wouldn't charge any more or be recognized by USB. I tried everything. Factory reset, cleaned the port, cleaned the cables, new cables. Nothing helped. And it would have to be warranty exchanged through AT&T, but the warranty was voided because of root. I couldn't use Kingo to unroot, because the PC wouldn't recognize it.

I was able to find a workaround, using this:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/110386-return-to-stock-mj5-works/

In fact, I really only used the third step. I didn't download or flash the rom. By some miracle, the PC would connect to the phone when it was in download mode. I used Odin to flash those four files, rebooted, and the custom icon was gone.

I'm hoping that this has removed all trace of root from the phone. The knox counter is still at zero.

I thought I would post this in case anyone else had a similar problem.

Ok so, only doing step 3 returns the device to complete stock? I would do all the steps, but I don't really understand all of them.

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008

Thank you, didn't see that when I searched last time.

Ok so, only doing step 3 returns the device to complete stock? I would do all the steps, but I don't really understand all of them.

I believe the rest of the steps serve to load the MJ5 version ROM onto the device (in case you've installed a newer one or something). Since I already had the stock ROM, they proved unnecessary for me. I just used Odin to flash those 4 files and since the icon disappeared, I stopped there.

ZOMBIExM4STER

Jan 31, 2014
Thank you, didn't see that when I searched last time.

I believe the rest of the steps serve to load the MJ5 version ROM onto the device (in case you've installed a newer one or something). Since I already had the stock ROM, they proved unnecessary for me. I just used Odin to flash those 4 files and since the icon disappeared, I stopped there.
I'm on stock too, I want to do this because I'm having problems with the keyboard. The whole process is really confusing to me, do you think you can help me out?

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
I'm on stock too, I want to do this because I'm having problems with the keyboard. The whole process is really confusing to me, do you think you can help me out?

I will try, but I am not an expert by any means. I tinker, but hopefully these other more experienced guys will chime in if I say something incorrect.

1. Download odin from here: http://www.firmware-files.com/download.php?id=1&token=QDXtLX5r3hLhxpTt604CYR6zP9twKSmr

2. Extract odin to a folder on your computer

3. Download these four files:
http://www.firmware-files.com/download.php?id=8&token=1QMc777QYjZgceInVMKs1HlcxAWv2wrU
http://www.firmware-files.com/download.php?id=7&token=6AfQkrv4S1mjr2oClQdwHp62lZpT8BK5
http://www.firmware-files.com/download.php?id=6&token=rXopUUlOTAGrBAQfksBLl1lKu52xIjl0
http://www.firmware-files.com/download.php?id=15&token=5CYaBqGOCoJSQMM6K7WECGlLDK4NYWTT

4. These four files will be zipped. You need to extract the zip files somewhere onto your computer. Each file should have a .tar.md5 extension once you extract them.

5. Power off your phone. Put it into download mode. To do this:
  • Power off your phone completely'
  • Hold down the home button, volume down button and power button all at the same time
  • When the screen comes on, let go of the buttons
  • It will give you a warning. Press the volume up button to proceed to download (odin) mode.

6. Run the Odin3 v3.09.exe application (that you extracted in step 2)

7. Now that odin is running and hopefully connected, you need to specify the four files that you extracted to be downloaded. You should end up with a screen that looks like this:

Odin.png

8. Click start and let it run until it is finished. Once it is finished, hold down the power button to power off your phone then do the same to turn it back on. The custom icon should be gone.

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
First thing I do after rooting is Wanam and turn off the Custom - just in case something like this happens. If the phone later blows up, factory reset if possible and walk it in for an exchange. Then if, when it blows up, even Odin can't see it, there's still no lock on the screen.

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
First thing I do after rooting is Wanam and turn off the Custom - just in case something like this happens. If the phone later blows up, factory reset if possible and walk it in for an exchange. Then if, when it blows up, even Odin can't see it, there's still no lock on the screen.

Doesn't factory reset delete the Xposed framework?

With AT&T you can't do a walk-in exchange after 14 days - pretty scary to mail it in for exchange and risk a $650 charge when they discover you rooted it.

I had the icon turned off with Wanam, but it came back.

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
Doesn't factory reset delete the Xposed framework?
I could probably write an accounting program for an agency as large as the US government (or have fixed the health insurance site - doing something for half a century does pound some knowledge into even rock hard heads like mine), but when it comes to Android, I'm one of the learners, not one of the teachers. You know the answer to this question better than I do. I'd assume it does. I've made a lot of stupid assertions over the years, so ...

I downloaded a course that I may start reading one of these days, so I might yet learn enough to write a "Hello, World" app for Android. (Programmers know what I'm talking about - the difference between being able to develop a program and being able to code something to run in a particular environment - and the only internal environment I know in Android is where the battery and cards go.)

With AT&T you can't do a walk-in exchange after 14 days
SSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! You weren't supposed to tell them that. I hope they didn't read this thread, and I hope the very nice lady who gave me the phone I'm using now doesn't get into trouble. (I'm not talking about walking in and saying "I don't like this phone, may I have a different one, please?" I'm talking about walking in during the warranty period and saying "could you please make my phone work?" and being told that they'll have to give you another phone. The only thing I'd trade my N3s for is N3s with unlocked bootloaders. I just want to see something other than comets revolving around Samsung's name.)

I had the icon turned off with Wanam, but it came back.
Mine stayed off - for the 3 or 4 days that the hardware didn't die on me. Then ... well, maybe Samsung has a way to read melted silicon, or whatever it did to make itself electrically invisible, but I'm not going to worry about it.

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
Wanam will keep the icon hidden but once you factory reset the phone I believe it deletes the xposed framework and the icon comes back.

I could be wrong about that, but that is my understanding.

I don't think you'd ever fool the warranty department that way, unfortunately, which is why I used this method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

ryant100

Sep 22, 2011
orlando
after doing just step 3 did you run a root check to see if that was gone? also what was the state of your phone after only doing step 3....meaning custom on dl mode and lock on boot screen....just wondering cause the files are so small to think that it would completely return to stock (like day 1)

steveh_131

Oct 27, 2008
after doing just step 3 did you run a root check to see if that was gone? also what was the state of your phone after only doing step 3....meaning custom on dl mode and lock on boot screen....just wondering cause the files are so small to think that it would completely return to stock (like day 1)

No custom and no lock. I didn't run a root check, not even sure how.

The files are small because you're not flashing an entire ROM. My ROM was still stock.