[Q] Bootloader and rooting

Search This thread

nelsonchan27

Mar 2, 2014
Hi I bought my Galaxy S4 i9505 in Hong Kong and now currently using it London.

I assume it is an international version and hence sim- unlocked. So my question is does being sim- unlocked means bootloader unlocked?

Having done some research I know after updating to 4.3 I would have to unlock the bootloader before rooting.

So how would I check whether the bootloader is unlocked? I have found various methods for HTC or Sony smartphones but there doesn't seem to be one for Samsung Galaxy devices.

This is my first post in this forum so please let me know if I am missing any information. Thank you :)

Mandark52

Aug 12, 2012

I assume it is an international version and hence sim- unlocked. So my question is does being sim- unlocked means bootloader unlocked?

Having done some research I know after updating to 4.3 I would have to unlock the bootloader before rooting.

So how would I check whether the bootloader is unlocked? I have found various methods for HTC or Sony smartphones but there doesn't seem to be one for Samsung Galaxy devices.

This is my first post in this forum so please let me know if I am missing any information. Thank you :)

No.Unlocking sim doesn't mean that the bootloader is unlocked.The new bootloader Knox indicates that whether any unofficial or custom stuffs are flashed or not.If u flash custom stuffs then Knox flag will be triggered and u will void ur warranty.Currently there are very few methods for bypassing Knox eg- Kingo root.

Sent from my OCTA CORE I9500

Reactions: nelsonchan27

nelsonchan27

Mar 2, 2014
No.Unlocking sim doesn't mean that the bootloader is unlocked.The new bootloader Knox indicates that whether any unofficial or custom stuffs are flashed or not.If u flash custom stuffs then Knox flag will be triggered and u will void ur warranty.Currently there are very few methods for bypassing Knox eg- Kingo root.

Thank you very much for you reply.

So let's say I don't care about the warranty, do I still need to unlock bootloader in order to root (and install custom ROMs)?

Mandark52

Aug 12, 2012

So let's say I don't care about the warranty, do I still need to unlock bootloader in order to root (and install custom ROMs)?

If Knox is triggered you wont get OTA/Kies updates.
No need of unlocking(never heard of unlocking Knox). Just flash CF-auto root via Odin and bingo ur phone is rooted.

nelsonchan27

Mar 2, 2014
No need of unlocking(never heard of unlocking Knox). Just flash CF-auto root via Odin and bingo ur phone is rooted.[/QUOTE]

I have found this link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

It claims to root a device without triggering KNOX, so can I flash a custom ROM after rooting via this method? or would I still need to unlock bootloader?

Mandark52

Aug 12, 2012
No need of unlocking(never heard of unlocking Knox). Just flash CF-auto root via Odin and bingo ur phone is rooted.

It claims to root a device without triggering KNOX, so can I flash a custom ROM after rooting via this method? or would I still need to unlock bootloader?[/QUOTE]

Read it fully. It says you cannot install custom rom/recovery. The day you install custom recovery, Knox will be triggered n you ll lose official updates.You can search for Knox in the forum it would be very useful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my OCTA CORE I9500

It claims to root a device without triggering KNOX, so can I flash a custom ROM after rooting via this method? or would I still need to unlock bootloader?[/QUOTE]

Read it fully. It says you cannot install custom rom/recovery. The day you install custom recovery, Knox will be triggered n you ll lose official updates.You can search for Knox in the forum it would be very useful.