[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!)

Search This thread

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Okay to use CWM off of Rootpack 0.7 SD card?

I am having problems with ROM manager also. What is the downside of just using CWM in Rootpack 0.7? I am doing a backup now and it does create the NANDROID on the SD card.

If I have hose my NC (hopefully never), can I just use Rootpack 0.7 and CWM restore? I hope never to have to do that...

Many, many thanks to IOMonster...

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
I am having problems with ROM manager also. What is the downside of just using CWM in Rootpack 0.7? I am doing a backup now and it does create the NANDROID on the SD card.

If I have hose my NC (hopefully never), can I just use Rootpack 0.7 and CWM restore? I hope never to have to do that...

Many, many thanks to IOMonster...

You can use whatever you'd like to restore your device, provided that the backup file fits on the SD card image you use.

---

Anyone around with a NookColor that came stock with 1.1 ? I'd like to do some tests to find out why my installclockwork.zip is giving people issues...

EDIT: 100th Post!! Yay! I feel old now...

Narfx

Jul 23, 2010
A Coruña

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
The mirror is as slow as the original host. It's taking me forever to download the 4.3 MB of 1gb_clockwork-0.7.

Seriously, file hosting servers are not evil ;)
I'd disagree-- hosting my file and possibly serving a drive-by spyware advertisement to my users is indeed evil. Every last one of them.

I understand they have to make their money somehow, but I just hate the filth that is advertising.

Mirror shouldn't be slow.. I'll contact Zerf about that.. Thanks for the notification.

EDIT: You sure you're downloading from the mirror? The url would be something like http://www.efisf.com/nookdev/ ...

Last edited:

Narfx

Jul 23, 2010
A Coruña
EDIT: You sure you're downloading from the mirror? The url would be something like http://www.efisf.com/nookdev/ ...
Yep, I tried both. (EDIT) Now it seems to work ok. Much faster than before :)

Anyway, I don't know if you're a little paranoid or if you're right regarding mediafire et al. and spyware, because I use linux exclusively since many years ago and I don't really care about those things :p.

Have you considered a disposable public dropbox folder to host the files? At least the small 4 MB images. The bandwith limit is 10 GB/day

BTW, THANKS A LOT for the images. I had my nook stuck at the boot screen (white text over black background, I don't remember what the text says). Simply booting CWM 3 from the sd card, selecting "reboot" from the main CWM menu and removing the sd card before it was used was enough to fix it: it booted again to my rooted 1.1.0.

Does anyone know why this happens and why simply booting CWM from a sd card and rebooting is enough to fix it?

Last edited:

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
You can use whatever you'd like to restore your device, provided that the backup file fits on the SD card image you use.

---

Anyone around with a NookColor that came stock with 1.1 ? I'd like to do some tests to find out why my installclockwork.zip is giving people issues...

EDIT: 100th Post!! Yay! I feel old now...

Thecubed, I'm game. FWIW you can just load up the stock 1.1 image found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=945838

jhnstn00

Oct 5, 2008
South Texas
Am I correct in assuming the sd card has to be empty to make the bootable sd right?

And that afterwards, can additional files be added to that same sd? Like music, images...etc.

Sent from Continuum 2.2 w/ Sensation 1.2 (Awesome)

ericman77

Oct 20, 2008
Indianapolis IN
I've tried this 20 times. Can't get it to work dose this only work on stock Nook? Im running froyo 0.6.7. The image burns to my sd fine but when I boot it just boots normally.

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
I've tried this 20 times. Can't get it to work dose this only work on stock Nook? Im running froyo 0.6.7. The image burns to my sd fine but when I boot it just boots normally.

Nope, it will work on any nook. I use his rootpack as my "jesus disk", and have added a few other key files such as the adhoc fix and the 1ghz kernels.
(So yes to the post above you, you can add back files to this, but as it's essentialy CWR, it helps if they are all flashable).

If you are booting to your eMMC then something is either screwed up with your image on the card (nook not able to detect or read the boot info) or the card itself is bad. If you can see the card from within NF, then it's the boot image that's not working.

faceman66

Feb 3, 2011

Yea, it sounds like you changed the default boot order somewhere. Unless modified, the nook color will always try to boot from the uSD slot first. If your FroYo install won't do that, then you need to go back to where the FroYo image/rom came from and ask how to use it and still be able to boot from an SD.

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
Yea, it sounds like you changed the default boot order somewhere. Unless modified, the nook color will always try to boot from the uSD slot first. If your FroYo install won't do that, then you need to go back to where the FroYo image/rom came from and ask how to use it and still be able to boot from an SD.

the boot from SD is a HW setting. even if there is no boot info on the NC eMMC, it will still try to boot from the SDCard first. It would take a bit of old school HW hacking to change the boot order.

ericman77

Oct 20, 2008
Indianapolis IN
No didn't change any thing. Its a fresh in stall of froyo. And also when I use my linux pc and connect the usd isn't it suppose to mount the internal sd in the usd?

sudhirkhanger

Jun 29, 2010
Why are there different size versions of CWR? Only difference i see between 128mb and 8 Gb is that it takes hell of a time to write image.

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Why are there different size versions of CWR? Only difference i see between 128mb and 8 Gb is that it takes hell of a time to write image.

This allows you to make a bootable CWM sd card of different sizes. I use Rootpack to run CWM and backups on the SD card. I also store various ROM's and the card and can restore.

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Can't buy books?

I cannot seem to "buy" books from BN after updating the ROM to 1.1 and rooting. I tried these methods:

Method 1
Register stock 1.0.1 NC
Upgrade by copying 1.1 to NC via usb cable as suggested by BN
Root with Rootpack 0.7
Everything works but browsing for book from BN.

Method 2
Register stock 1.0.1 NC
Root with Rootpack 0.7
Load Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] by Decad3nce
Still can't buy books.

Did 1.1 do something? There is along thread regarding using BN features at stores with 1.1.

Thanks again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New version 0.7 available!
    Now compatible with software version 1.1 !!
    Special thanks to Decad3nce for the new framework.jar!

Howdy everyone! It's thecubed / IOMonster again!

This time, I'm back with a MONSTER release :)

For all those asking "What's a Monster RootPack"? It's simple!
    It's a SD card image containing a bootable Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 and a set of .zip files that allow you to root your device and install Google Apps (market, gmail, youtube, etc).

All you have to do is read the instructions-- it explains the rest.
    Please be sure to read ALL the instructions first before using this utility!

All the instructions can be found here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/rootpack-instructions.html
    Be sure to read through them!
    I'm not one for huge forum posts, so keeping all the instructions on one URL helps me stay organized :)

Downloads:
    Download the RootPack here: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/128mb_rootpack-0.7.tar.gz [mirror]

Or

Download a bootable Clockwork SD card (128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb) here:
    http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/ [mirrors]

Updated Zip Files:
    Use these if you already have a bootable SD, or even CWM installed on your device:
    http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/zips

Want to build your own CWM SD cards?
    Download this: http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/0.7/buildenv-0.7.tar.gz
    It's a complete build environment for making bootable SD cards. Included are the source files for 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb SD cards.

Updates:
    • Version 0.7
      New build environment!
      New CWR sizes, rootpack reduced to 128mb image. (We now have 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images!)
      1.1 Rooting and Google Apps support! (thanks D3cad3nc3!)
      FIXED: backup/restore from CWM now works correctly!
    • Version 0.5
      Well, packages.xml is in /data/system, not /system .. oops.
      Release of 128mb bootable Clockwork SD card also
      Adds block-1.1.zip and unblock-1.1.zip to block the updates the easy way!
    • Version 0.4r2
      Bugfixes. Lots of 'em.
    • Version 0.4
      Fix root.zip and googleapps.zip permissions problems (/data/app and /system/app DO have different owners and permissions)
      Bootable CWM base: No change; version bumped to 0.4 just because.
    • Version 0.3
      Update to most recent Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 build (should have working backup/restore, and defaults to ext2/ext3 support instead of ext4)
      Fixes root.zip and googleapps.zip bugs (can't believe I forgot a semicolon!)
      Updates installclockwork.zip to latest Clockwork Recovery build supporting ext2/3
    • Version 0.2
      Initial public beta release

This brings me to my final point: this rootpack has been tested on my device, but I'm sure there are still bugs! If you want a time-tested method for rooting your device, stick with AutoNooter for the time being.

BUT! I really need testers! If you'd like to test this, please let me know.

Questions/comments welcome! :)
    I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to restore my Nook to stock and several of the links in this post are dead. Would it be possible for someone to update the thread?
    You don't need this thread. Go to my NC tips thread linked in my signature and follow item A15 to get back to stock.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
    1.1 Compatible Rootpack Just released!

This release brings with it the ability to make backups of your NookColor to SD while booted from CWM on SD, and a fixed version of the installClockwork.zip, so backups will now work!

The biggest announcement being that this rootpack is now 1.1 compatible! Want an easy way to root+install market on your 1.1 device? This is it!

Another biggie is the second most requested feature: more SD sizes!
    I've now got 128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb images up for download.

As a side note, the 1.1 rooting+gApps ability of this rootpack are UNTESTED. I have replaced the proper files in the proper places, but there is no guarantee that this'll work. If you want to try the 1.1 rooting + gApps, please be ready to factory restore your NookColor if it doesn't work out.

With that said, i'll be sure to remove this warning once i've seen a few successful installs.

Any testers?

OH and for the love of all that's good and holy, TURN OFF YOUR DOWNLOAD MANAGERS / ACCELERATORS!
    Is it possible to use this to make a nandroid backup of a NC without "installing" from it? I have my NC working great right now, but I'd really like to be able to nandroid it. And I'd prefer not to install CWM, I keep seeing posts that make me feel it's not yet stable for the Nook Color.

In theory, this should support making backups, but since the partition size is only 1gb, I don't think your backup would fit.

I can make a 4gb bootable CWM card sometime soon for those that wish to try.

Again, thanks everyone for your patience! I'm still trying to troubleshoot why root.zip bootloops people...
    I found your post after I posted. I am trying to do that now. Side question, I had CM7 on my Nook previously.

I used win32diskimager to write the "CWM-6.0.1.2-bootable_SD.zip" to my SD card. I will first be using the "NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7-8.zip". Do I need to boot to recovery to run this? By holding power+n? Then I plan on removing the format zip and putting the "nookcolor_1_4_3_signed.zip" on my SD card and flashing that. Same question, do I need the power+n or will the SD card just start CWM because of the image I wrote to it?

Thanks.
    If you successfully made the SD, it should boot directly to it when you have it inserted and power on. You can put both zips on the card and boot to CWM and install one after the other without rebooting.

It does not matter what you had installed previously, it will all get wiped.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app