Just bought the Verizon s4

Search This thread

jtio21

May 3, 2013
Well the title says it all just bought the Verizon s4, upgraded from an HTC DNA because I can no longer WiFi tether on it. Just one question is the s4 still rootable. not sure which android version is on yet. But I would like to be able to install custom roms.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Oishikatta

Mar 16, 2014
Well the title says it all just bought the Verizon s4, upgraded from an HTC DNA because I can no longer WiFi tether on it. Just one question is the s4 still rootable. not sure which android version is on yet. But I would like to be able to install custom roms.

You'll probably never be able to install a custom rom.

Best you'll be able to get is modded TouchWiz, e.g. Hyperdrive: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301724

Check your build version in Settings -> About Phone.

If the last 3 characters are M** (e.g. MK2), you can root/flash TouchWiz roms. If it's NC5, you can't do anything, not even root.

Reactions: jtio21

jtio21

May 3, 2013
Alright. Hopefully it's still on android 4.2.2

T

Techguy2002

You can downgrade to mk2 and root nc5 now with safestrap. There is a post toward the top with complete instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

jtio21

May 3, 2013
Well the place I bought it from says it's still on android 4.2.2 so I should be good to go once it arrives. Does Samsung drivers work well with Windows 8 or do I need to use 7 or xp like HTC requires?

dustyshoes

Mar 16, 2013

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 was a new experience for me when it comes to modding the ROM. It turns out that the revision of the phone makes a large difference. It is very important that you read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501 thread started by decaturbob. Instructions that work for some versions of the S4 will brick others, so read that thread first. Then you will have a better understanding of your limits.

I picked up mine a few months back, so I have one of the most locked down versions. I can say that I've installed Hyperdrive, and I'm very happy with it. I do miss the CM ROM I had with my old phone (Razr), but that's not gonna happen soon, if at all, with this one.

Good luck!

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
Well the place I bought it from says it's still on android 4.2.2 so I should be good to go once it arrives. Does Samsung drivers work well with Windows 8 or do I need to use 7 or xp like HTC requires?

If you got an mdk(4.2.2)on the way,count your blessings and whatever you do don't take any ota updates... Its hard to get one of these baby's anymore...luckily I read heavily about the s4 when I was looking to buy and knew before I even had it in hand not to update it...good luck and happy modding

jtio21

May 3, 2013
Belive me if it wasn't for the fact that foxfi works on kitkat I would have got another phone. But the s4 is a great phone and If I can root it that will be even better if not no biggy I just have to be able to WiFi tether.

dustyshoes

Mar 16, 2013
Belive me if it wasn't for the fact that foxfi works on kitkat I would have got another phone. But the s4 is a great phone and If I can root it that will be even better if not no biggy I just have to be able to WiFi tether.

We all root and use modded roms for various reasons. Some want to explore the newer ideas and try the latest cool roms at will. Others, including myself, want a good, stable rom with lots of custom options. After a few weeks of tweaking it, I just go back to using the phone. Both are fine approaches, it depends on what you want. The first option, with easily swapped roms, is not going to happen with the S4. The second, works just fine with the Hyperdrive mod. I agree that the S4 is a great phone, I did root it, I like Hyperdrive, and I use the WiFi tether routinely.

The advice is this: If you want to choose from a variety of roms, especially if you want an AOSP rom, you'll be needing to have an older S4 or another phone altogether. If you're content with the one or two custom rom mods available for the newer S4, such as Hyperdrive, you'll be fine.

jtio21

May 3, 2013
We all root and use modded roms for various reasons. Some want to explore the newer ideas and try the latest cool roms at will. Others, including myself, want a good, stable rom with lots of custom options. After a few weeks of tweaking it, I just go back to using the phone. Both are fine approaches, it depends on what you want. The first option, with easily swapped roms, is not going to happen with the S4. The second, works just fine with the Hyperdrive mod. I agree that the S4 is a great phone, I did root it, I like Hyperdrive, and I use the WiFi tether routinely.

The advice is this: If you want to choose from a variety of roms, especially if you want an AOSP rom, you'll be needing to have an older S4 or another phone altogether. If you're content with the one or two custom rom mods available for the newer S4, such as Hyperdrive, you'll be fine.

Awesome and thanks.

jtio21

May 3, 2013
So my s4 is on android 4.3 is their still a way to root it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You'll probably never be able to install a custom rom.

Best you'll be able to get is modded TouchWiz, e.g. Hyperdrive: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301724

Check your build version in Settings -> About Phone.

If the last 3 characters are M** (e.g. MK2), you can root/flash TouchWiz roms. If it's NC5, you can't do anything, not even root.

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 was a new experience for me when it comes to modding the ROM. It turns out that the revision of the phone makes a large difference. It is very important that you read this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501 thread started by decaturbob. Instructions that work for some versions of the S4 will brick others, so read that thread first. Then you will have a better understanding of your limits.

I picked up mine a few months back, so I have one of the most locked down versions. I can say that I've installed Hyperdrive, and I'm very happy with it. I do miss the CM ROM I had with my old phone (Razr), but that's not gonna happen soon, if at all, with this one.

Good luck!

If you got an mdk(4.2.2)on the way,count your blessings and whatever you do don't take any ota updates... Its hard to get one of these baby's anymore...luckily I read heavily about the s4 when I was looking to buy and knew before I even had it in hand not to update it...good luck and happy modding