Search This thread

nofam

Nov 22, 2010
Dunedin
The time in deep sleep doesn't really tell you anything about what's going on here. I posted 2 times already, that I had 97% deep sleep over night for about 6-7 hours, and still this kernel lost at least double the battery percentage than the cm9 stock one. Deep Sleep stats look very good, but that doesn't help.

boba

Well-said - BBS isn't showing any wakelocks, and CPU Spy is showing good Deep Sleep, but I lost around 9% overnight on flight mode. Standard Android battery monitor is showing the phone being solidly awake for that whole period.

Neutr1no

Apr 3, 2012
How can I make LED menu and back buttons work again? They were working fine while using another kernel but having changed to siyah they stopped. The only solution I can see is change one of the settings but I don't want the keys to be lit up constantly.

jsmasterx

Mar 24, 2012
anjou
+1

kernel bugs:
- huge battery drain in deep sleep mode (also)
- lower quadrant scores (-20%) on base kernel settings - compare to stock LPn kernel

Why are you stick with Quadrant scores ? This app is unreliable as hell and do not show real life stuff. In fact the score is lower but in reality the performances are well boosted beyond that quadrant score. So please do not base your judgments on quadrant scores.

It wasn't a critic but I do not understand why a lot of people use quadrant to do my mother is better than yours etc. Again do not ever trust quadrant scores

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Karpfenhai

Nov 25, 2011
Leipzig
Hmm, its a pity if gokhan will not take care for the drain, cuz many many users are not willing to accept an "abnormal" drain, we all know siyah is not an energy saving kernel, but much more drain as stock? That's probably unacceptable for many users, im just saying..

I know there are more important things to fix but once this is done (will never happen i know:p), im pretty sure gokhan will take care!

Until then, back to 3.0.1 ;)

olifee

Sep 12, 2011
OnePlus 6
how can i load cifs.ko the most apps require a lkm.? siyah 3.1rc3
Changelog of 3.1rc3, from gokhanmoral.com:
CIFS is now built-in, no longer a module, to save space
This means you do not need to load the module (in fact, you can't), the app should work straightaway. If the app tries to force the module-loading to succeed, something is wrong with the app ;).
If it does not "close" after showing the error, though, it should just work fine.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

How can I make LED menu and back buttons work again? They were working fine while using another kernel but having changed to siyah they stopped. The only solution I can see is change one of the settings but I don't want the keys to be lit up constantly.
You might be hit by the bug reported for many times already, and also described by gokhan himself here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24950963&postcount=4381
If you use CM9, that is likely (next time, please include the ROM you use or put it in your signature ;) ).

Last edited:

Thenetstriker

Jul 24, 2008
Support for pl2303 usb profilic serial port

Hi Gokhan, can you please implement support for pl2303 usb serial readers in your kernel?

I successfully compiled the usbserial and pl2303 kernel modules using your kernel source and loaded them with insmod, but the device still does not work on my Galaxy S2. I get the following output on dmesg after connecting the device:

Code:
<6>[  268.458247] max8997 5-0066: max8997_irq_thread: irq:359, irq_src:0x2
<6>[  268.458537] max8997-charger max8997-charger: max8997_chg_charger_irq: charger IRQ(1) occurred!
<6>[  268.458762] max8997 5-0066: max8997_irq_thread: irq:359, irq_src:0x0
<4>[  268.458809] max8997 5-0066: Unused interrupt source: 0x0
<6>[  268.621541] [if_usb_suspended]
<6>[  268.640511] OTG root_hub_feature(548): case SetPortFeature -USB_PORT_FEAT_RESET
<6>[  268.700540] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  268.700657] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  268.705456] max8922-charger max8922-charger: max8922_is_charging: charging state = 0x1
<6>[  268.780536] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using s3c_otghcd
<3>[  268.780677] usb 2-1: parent hub has no TT
<6>[  268.780794] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  268.780906] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  268.781127] OTG root_hub_feature(548): case SetPortFeature -USB_PORT_FEAT_RESET
<6>[  268.841114] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  268.841228] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  268.920486] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 3 using s3c_otghcd
<3>[  268.920622] usb 2-1: parent hub has no TT
<6>[  268.920737] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  268.920849] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  268.921056] OTG root_hub_feature(548): case SetPortFeature -USB_PORT_FEAT_RESET
<6>[  268.981073] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  268.981187] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  269.060490] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 4 using s3c_otghcd
<3>[  269.060627] usb 2-1: parent hub has no TT
<6>[  269.060741] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  269.060852] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  269.061055] OTG root_hub_feature(548): case SetPortFeature -USB_PORT_FEAT_RESET
<6>[  269.121075] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  269.121191] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  269.200481] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 5 using s3c_otghcd
<3>[  269.200618] usb 2-1: parent hub has no TT
<6>[  269.200734] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  269.200847] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<3>[  269.201009] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

Reactions: olifee

bclark

Oct 20, 2010
New Hampshire
Hey Gokhan,

I've been slacking on this for awhile but here you go:
conf#48B33760678399933

I'll make sure not to wait as long next time, lol.

alcurtis93

Oct 31, 2010
Hi gokhanmoral is there any chance of implementing the kineto.lib files into this kernel for use with the orange UK signal boost app over wifi?

Sent from my GT-I9100

olifee

Sep 12, 2011
OnePlus 6
Hi Gokhan, can you please implement support for pl2303 usb serial readers in your kernel?

I successfully compiled the usbserial and pl2303 kernel modules using your kernel source and loaded them with insmod, but the device still does not work on my Galaxy S2. I get the following output on dmesg after connecting the device:

Code:
<6>[  269.060741] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  269.060852] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  269.061055] OTG root_hub_feature(548): case SetPortFeature -USB_PORT_FEAT_RESET
<6>[  269.121075] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  269.121191] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<6>[  269.200481] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 5 using s3c_otghcd
<3>[  269.200618] usb 2-1: parent hub has no TT
<6>[  269.200734] OTG otg_handle_interrupt(135): Port Interrupt
<6>[  269.200847] OTG process_port_intr(54): port enable/disable changed
<3>[  269.201009] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

Thanks for the kmsg, I think this will be interesting!
At first sight,
Code:
parent hub has no TT
jumps at me. TT (Transaction Translators) are needed for all USB 1.1-devices, including mice, keyboards and apparently also the pl2303.
As gokhan is currently pretty busy and also flooded by the many posts here, I suggest you might as a first step try to look for the kernel-option to enable transaction translators (try to search in menuconfig with "/" for "TT" and you should find it).
I wish you the best of luck and am also interested in the outcome (would try it myself but I'm currently also pretty busy at university and apparently not as devoted as gokhan ;) ) :).

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

I think it should be 'sdcard' = 'internal card' and 'emmc' = 'external card' too.
Yes, and that is exactly what we all (including gokhan) are thinking ;).
The roles of "emmc" and "sdcard" in CWM are different from their meanings in the ROM you use, so "emmc" means "internal SD" and "sdcard" means "external SD", which is pretty unexpected for the normal user.
That is the way it was like until now (and internally, it will stay like this because otherwise all the zips and stuff you flash would go to the wrong place)!

Gokhan now changed that in 3.1 so it reads "internal SD" for the internal SD and "external SD" for the external SD, so it finally is correct in the part of CWM we as the normal users see. So finally, no more confusion ;).

Last edited:
Reactions: noke955 and spirol

Delacor

Jun 4, 2011
Bremen
Google Pixel 4a
So I use the rc5 for a Day now and I don't expected better Battery Life.
I use the 2000mah Battery and Have 15h on-time since charged.. I got now 5% left and have a Display Time of 3h30m.
As we Know ICS is quite a bit more Battery-draining. BUT I had on the best times with GB 6 (!!!!!!) Hours Display Time on one day.. So WTF is going on with ICS? I see my sesults are very Similar to "XDA Mark" ones and I am happy to be not the only one with 3h Display time and Battery indicator jumping between 1-2%...
Don't hate me please but I'm going to try speedmod just for a comparison tomorrow and see what Display Time it has..
Maybe switching from sammyROM so cm9 helps also.. don't know what's wrong with battery in Android4....

Greetings

Send from my SII ;)

Reactions: GalaxyFan88

bajee11

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 10, 2012
Montreal
So I use the rc5 for a Day now and I don't expected better Battery Life.
I use the 2000mah Battery and Have 15h on-time since charged.. I got now 5% left and have a Display Time of 3h30m.
As we Know ICS is quite a bit more Battery-draining. BUT I had on the best times with GB 6 (!!!!!!) Hours Display Time on one day.. So WTF is going on with ICS? I see my sesults are very Similar to "XDA Mark" ones and I am happy to be not the only one with 3h Display time and Battery indicator jumping between 1-2%...
Don't hate me please but I'm going to try speedmod just for a comparison tomorrow and see what Display Time it has..
Maybe switching from sammyROM so cm9 helps also.. don't know what's wrong with battery in Android4....

Greetings

Send from my SII ;)

Try testing out other kernels as well. I reached 4h50min standard battery by testing out N.E.A.K. No hard feelings for Siyah tho, still an amazing kernel. Been using Siyah ever since I switched to ICS. But I will most likely come back to it once im done all my testing. By then I'm sure it'll be the best for battery as well. Keep up the good work Ghokan.:)

Reactions: Delacor

olifee

Sep 12, 2011
OnePlus 6
Cifs runing fine reboot solved the "error"

oh usb otg intresting thing like to have dvb-t :-D

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2
Good to hear :).
I actually tried back in GB-times with an external DVB-T-device. First, this would require some more more work outside of the kernel (to load the firmware, no daemon to handle that in Android) and even when doing that manually, the USB-OTG-controller seems to be unable to reset the port correctly to redetect the device afterwards. Even with a "warm" device (firmware loaded by PC before and not shut off) something appeared to be missing (you can read more in the old GB-Siyah-thread if you are interested).

So: The idea is nice, but YouTube is by far easier ;). And maybe it will just be implemented in hardware by default in a few years (currently with USB-OTG and external battery to power it, it would be pretty clumsy and not so much smaller than a netbook ^^).

yaronAD

Jun 9, 2011
I advise every one here, to flash stock rom + stock kernel =as first step ! before moving from GB to Ics or any other combination....even if you are already with ICS and even if there are no bugs.

full wipe won't do the trick. not when moving to another base

this will set a new boot loader >>> and the rom experience (any rom) and of course this amazing siyah kernel will be something else !

after 2 weeks with all the bugs on the book:eek: - I finally done what I should do from the beginning when I moved to ICS.

this kernel is pretty amazing>>> the touch, scroll ,and the all experience = snappy fast!
It definitely upgrades any rom ;) & Last 3.1rc5 version sets up a new standard !

THX gokhanmoral for all your efforts and for making as all so happy:cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    please leave non-dev related posts here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1658647

siyahkernel-ics-wide1.png

Features:
    • based on JB sources
    • DISABLED CAP_ERASE (No superbrick bug)
    • All-in-1kernel because it supports CM9, CM10, Samsung, MIUI and Boot-to-Gecko (B2G) ROMs with a single kernel image. (no Sense4all support)
    • Dual booting support for all supported ROM types. See droidphile's post for Dual Booting FAQ
    • Custom CWM touch recovery with swipe gestures and double-tap selection
    • 6-steps CPU freq
    • 5-step GPU frequency levels. VPLL Mode to have additional frequency steps. defaults frequencies: 66-108-166-267-330.
    • Auto-root. You can also remove root via STweaks app and install it without rebooting your phone again. Auto-root can be disabled as well.
    • CPU Overclock/Undervolt support (we have two interfaces for that. both of them are defacto standard)
    • Tweakable vitalij's value (set to 5 as default)
    • Adjustable touchpad led brightness
    • Fixed fuelalert wakelocks
    • You can completely disable android logger using STweaks app
    • Faster charging for misc and USB modes. There are 3 modes (AC, Misc, USB) and normally last two of them support only slow charging. You can have charging speed of AC by increasing it (especially user while charging in car or using USB port)
    • Cpu governor optimizations
    • Gpu voltage, clock and stepcount interfaces (GPU Overclock/Undervolt)
    • Screen brightness curve settings with original panel gamma values. panel values unchanged, so you will get stock colors and will be able to use supercurio's voodoo display app when it is released. brightness modification will only change auto-brightness response.
    • BLN support both for Samsung and CM ROMs (you can use STweaks, Nstools or BLNControl app from the market to enable it)
    • Breathing or Blinking effect for BLN. (Make sure you don't enable blinking in any other BLN app) Use STweaks to select one of them.
    • Better touch sensitivity
    • Available CPU Governors: Pegasusq (default), Ondemand, Lulzactive, SmartassV2, Interactive and Conservative, Performance, Userspace, Powersave
    • CIFS as module
    • Available I/O schedulers: CFQ (default), noop, Deadline, SIO, V(R)
    • J4FS as module
    • ARM topology support (SCHED_MC)
    • Automatic EFS Backup
    • Lots of I/O tweaks and filesystem optimizations via some parts of thunderbolt scripts.
    • USB Mass Storage mode is working in CWM Touch Recovery and you can mount both internal and external sdcard as a disk drive
    • NTFS automounting for USB sticks. When you plug in an NTFS formatted USB flash it will be automatically mounted to /mnt/ntfs folder.
    • USB mouse and keyboard support
    • built-in profile support with default, battery and performance presets (you can change them in CWM Recovery). Even using everything default will save you a lot of battery juice.
    • Eargasm for headphone amplification (in STweaks) as free Voodoo Louder replacement
    • Almost everything is configurable such as scheduler features, hotplug thresholds, GPU frequencies, voltages, arm topology modes... and they are configurable via simple and free STweaks app which is embedded in the kernel and soon in Google Play & Opensource
    • Adjustable mDNIe settings
    • optional sharpness tweaks from hardcore
    • mDNIe negative effect toggle with home button (press it four times)
    • Touch gesture support by Tungstwenty. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1831254)
    • BLNWW (BLN Without Wakelock)
    • Slide2Wake (originally by Fluxi)

More to come...

Known Problems:
    • no known problems yet

Thanks To:

• Chainfire, Codeworkx, Arighi, Tegrak, Vitalij, Entropy512, Netarchy, koush, Creams, sk8erwitskil, hardcore, Pikachu, myfluxi, Tungstwenty
    • This part will be expanded. most of the patches I applied are coded by someone else. please remind me if I forget to give credits to anybody..

IRC support and chat:
    Server: irc.FreeNode.net
    Channel: #siyah-kernel
    web client: http://siyah.twosx.net/ (thanks to omniwolf)
    Changelog:

See http://www.gokhanmoral.com/ for changelog.

You can find the sources at http://github.com/gokhanmoral/siyahkernel3
    and initramfs at http://github.com/gokhanmoral/initramfs3

Todo:
    these are my future plans and some of them are dreams only...
    • apply chargecurrent modifications even if the cable is connected on boot
    • add optional teamwin recovery
    • make dual-boot timeout configurable
    • implement BFN (BackFlashNotification)
    • scheduling for BLN
    • organize recovery menu items
    • higher polling rate for light sensor
    • remap mouse right button to back button
    • exfat support
    • fix blnww battery drain issue (may not be possible)
    • implement dual-booting with GB+ICS ROMs
    • faster switch between first and second ROMs without needing to reboot if possible.

troubleshooting

siyahkernel-ics-wide1.png

READ THESE FIRST

• Never report any bugs to CM9/CM10 threads if you use it together with SiyahKernel
    • Do not ask questions to me directly. This is a common thread, not my personal inbox. Ask your questions in the thread and do not target them to anyone.
    • Do not expect answers to all your questions. There are some questions which nobody knows the answer of.
    • Do not forget that this is a development thread. There is another thread in general section for those who wants to discuss battery life and chats. If your post does not include a feature request, bug report or suggestion it should be posted to the other thread.
    • No ETA for new version. Even if I sometimes talk about release dates those may change and they change for some good reason or because of my real-life obligations.
    • Make use of "Search this Thread -> Advanced Search"
    • Never ever discuss anything deep-sleep related in this thread. I do not make modifications to prevent sleep and 99% of deep sleep problems are application/ROM related. discuss it in general section. I do not want any positive ("this kernel sleeps like a baby") or negative ("There is a big problem with deep sleep. Please fix it") messages in my development thread.
    • If you do not provide details about your configuration and settings nobody can help you or nobody will care about your problem/bug report. The problems without details (ROM, settings, preferably the version that the problem first happened or the one that you don't experience the problem) will be ignored.
    • Never ever report any SOD issues if you are undervolting/overclocking and make sure you attach last_kmsg log. If you don't know what it is report the problem to the other thread because one more post without any useful information on dev thread will help noone including yourself.

FAQ:

Q: I am having some random lockups with some apps
    A: try removing root by using STweaks app and restart.

Q: What is the difference between STweaks and ExTweaks?
    A: Both have similar functionality. ExTweak is Xan's implementation of the UCI interface (which is designed by Xan and me with the helps of AndreiLux and implemented in the kernel as open scripts by me) and STweaks is mine. I was hoping Xan would release the sources of ExTweaks (without profile support) but he changed his mind and I decided to open STweaks. Soon they will have almost identical functionality, so you can use whichever you like.

Q: Does this kernel work on XXXXXX-ROM?
    A: If the ROM is based on Samsung Stock ICS Rom LPQ or newer, it should. Otherwise, search the thread... If you cannot find any reference to that ROM, try the kernel. You won't lose anything by trying this kernel. Worst case scenario is to reflash your previous kernel or ROM. You can backup your previous kernel with Hellcat's k-tool from the market.

Q: Where is CM9, MIUI or Samsung ROM versions?
    A: There is only one version. Both ROMs are supported with a single kernel image.

Q: What is the best settings?
    A: It is the one you try yourself and like.

Q: I have just lost 20-30% battery by just rebooting/flashing the kernel. Is it a bug?
    A: No. It happens because of our fuel gauge chip which doesn't require calibration goes crazy sometimes. It is not related with kernel or ROM. Just reset fuel gauge chip using STweaks app (or remove the battery and wait 3 minutes) and then charge your phone.

Q: BLN doesn't work.
    A: you need to enable it in stweaks or BLN app. if you have more than one app to configure bln make sure all of them use the same settings.

Q: BLN works in test mode but it doesn't work otherwise.
    A: if test mode works you should blame the apps. Stock messaging and email apps may not support BLN and in some other applications you may need to enable notifications. Either find another application or change your ROM.

Q: Can I use breathing effect without using BLN?
    A: for now, breathing effect only works in BLN. There is no way of using it otherwise.

Q: I need to disable and re-enable BLN in stweaks to get it working again. What is the problem?
    A: You may have another BLN related application (BLNapp, nstools, or a script) which disables BLN after stweaks apply the setting at early boot stage. you have to either uninstall that app or enable BLN in that app as well.

closing the thread once again...

I don't want to piss the mods again because this thread attracts too many people.
    most of them misinterpret the "this is a development thread" statement and use the thread for their self-development purposes.

There are very few people who give useful feedback and suggestions and I talk to them over gtalk, email or PMs anyway.

greetings :)