Samsung Infuse i997 Take Apart Repair Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Does your outer touchscreen and inner LCD screen have damaged issue? Following this guide will help you take apart the Samsung Infuse i997 fairly easily in a step by step manner giving you a chance to replace faulty parts. Once you have replaced the parts you want, the guide can be used in reverse to put everything back together again.

This guide will help you to install the following Samsung Infuse i997 parts:
  • Samsung Infuse i997 LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • And Other Samsung Infuse i997 Parts

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips
  • Heat Gun / Hair Dryer

Samsung Infuse i997 take apart/repair guide:
  • To get in started, make sure that the device is off and remove the back battery cover. Also remove the battery, the memory card, and the sim card.
  • Now, we have six (6) small Phillips screws to remove as shown in Figure 1.

infuse-1.jpg

Figure 1​
  • With the screws released, turn the phone over and use a safe open pry tool between the screen assembly and back housing.
  • Use a safe open pry tool as shown on Figure 2 to release the clips and remove the back housing.

infuse-2.jpg

Figure 2​
  • We have two (2) small Phillips screws that need to be removed - located in orange in Figure 3. Use a safe open pry tool to release the four (4) pop connectors (red) on the motherboard.

infuse-3.jpg

Figure 3​
  • You can now ease off the motherboard carefully, being sure not to rip any cables.
  • Now, use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the front housing. Use medium heat on the front of the screen, consistently moving around the screen edges. This should take no longer than 1 minute.
  • Use a safe open pry tool to release the screen assembly from the housing. Reheat if the adhesive is still strong.
  • Remove the screen from the housing and replace.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.

electricpete1

Aug 12, 2012
We now have a downloadable version of this guide here - Samsung Infuse Screen Repair Guide
Thanks for the great info, Paul.

A question:

My Infuse has cracked glass, but LCD display working fine (just annoying to see lines from cracks in front of the display).

I see there is Infuse replacement glass sold for low price ($10-$15) but replacement LCD+glass together is much more ($150 IIRC).

Do you know if the glass can be replaced without replacing the LCD (re-use the old LCD unit)?
Or are they glued together as one unit which would prevent placing glass without replacing LCD unit?

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA

A question:

My Infuse has cracked glass, but LCD display working fine (just annoying to see lines from cracks in front of the display).

I see there is Infuse replacement glass sold for low price ($10-$15) but replacement LCD+glass together is much more ($150 IIRC).

Do you know if the glass can be replaced without replacing the LCD (re-use the old LCD unit)?
Or are they glued together as one unit which would prevent placing glass without replacing LCD unit?

From what I have read, replacing the glass only is neigh impossible with high risk of damaging the lcd digitizer.
There may be some older threads in the q/a. Dani897 has some experiences. Maybe pm him. I've seen old infuse for 125-145 on cl. Why buy a digitizer for more?

Sent from my Adam using xda app-developers app

Reactions: electricpete1

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010

A question:

Hi,

The screen CAN NOT be replaced successfully without replacing the whole screen (both touch screen and LCD together). These are fused together on this model. You will need full Samsung Infuse Screen Replacement

Reactions: electricpete1

nv_ram82

Apr 12, 2012
Hi My Samsung infuse I997 4G 's touch and display is damaged May I know how much doe

Hi My Samsung infuse I997 4G 's touch and display is damaged May I know how much does it cost in India
I live in hyderabad

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
From what I have read, replacing the glass only is neigh impossible with high risk of damaging the lcd digitizer.
There may be some older threads in the q/a. Dani897 has some experiences. Maybe pm him. I've seen old infuse for 125-145 on cl. Why buy a digitizer for more?

i had a bad experience with a vendor and the part i got was no good, vendor wanted the part shipped back before they would send another. photos of the faulty screen apparently wasn't enough, ugh, not to mention the months it took to ship from china so i got another phone. there have also been some complaints about insurance screen repairs being faulty but it's hard to say if that's the norm. i have a suspicion that all the available screens are from chinese vendors and may have quality issues but i guess that's just an opinion

the glass will likely break on removal of the old screen, be liberal with the heat gun, but frankly it's easier to get a new phone, for $180 you can find another infuse and probably an i777 if you look hard enough and if you are an infuse owner you are may be getting near upgrade time in a few months so could a lesser replacement phone hold you off till then?.

i also think samsung will replace your screen cheaper than you can buy one if you care to mail it in.

rkkaranrk

Mar 7, 2011
I highly suggest using a full screen assembly as it would make your repair so much easier and reduce the risk of damaging your lcd during the separation process.

If the full screen assembly is used then what elk one do with the broken one so the risk is over damaging the LCD I would say if u can then replace the glass only which is almost an impossible job for an individual if you don't have the equipments for.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
If the full screen assembly is used then what elk one do with the broken one so the risk is over damaging the LCD I would say if u can then replace the glass only which is almost an impossible job for an individual if you don't have the equipments for.
You're absolutely right if you don't have the correct equiptment or know-how, We don't suggest attempting it as you'll just end up spending more money on the full screen assembly anyways.

bokonon9

Oct 17, 2011
Question: Could the motherboard of one Infuse be successfully transferred to another Infuse?

I have an Infuse with a badly cracked but still usable touchscreen digitizer. Since last year when the glass was shattered, the phone has worked almost flawlessly besides occasional unexpected reboots (may be software related, but I have a suspicion it's the power button issue).

My sister has a physically intact Infuse with software issues. She has dropped the phone in the toilet twice. It still functions but got to the point where it was unusable due to constant random reboots and boot looping. She had kept it stock since getting the free phone two years ago. After using Odin the problem persisted so we tried putting CM 10.3 on it since it seems to work fine for me. The phone is semi usable now but she still experiences force reboots most likely due to a failing power button or a hardware issue caused by water damage.

I'm most likely going to purchase the new Nexus 4 in November since I'm not on a contract. Despite a real love for my handicapped Infuse, it's time for me to move on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does your outer touchscreen and inner LCD screen have damaged issue? Following this guide will help you take apart the Samsung Infuse i997 fairly easily in a step by step manner giving you a chance to replace faulty parts. Once you have replaced the parts you want, the guide can be used in reverse to put everything back together again.

This guide will help you to install the following Samsung Infuse i997 parts:
    • Samsung Infuse i997 LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • And Other Samsung Infuse i997 Parts

Tools Required:
    • Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips
    • Heat Gun / Hair Dryer

Samsung Infuse i997 take apart/repair guide:
    • To get in started, make sure that the device is off and remove the back battery cover. Also remove the battery, the memory card, and the sim card.
    • Now, we have six (6) small Phillips screws to remove as shown in Figure 1.

infuse-1.jpg

Figure 1​
    • With the screws released, turn the phone over and use a safe open pry tool between the screen assembly and back housing.
    • Use a safe open pry tool as shown on Figure 2 to release the clips and remove the back housing.

infuse-2.jpg

Figure 2​
    • We have two (2) small Phillips screws that need to be removed - located in orange in Figure 3. Use a safe open pry tool to release the four (4) pop connectors (red) on the motherboard.

infuse-3.jpg

Figure 3​
    • You can now ease off the motherboard carefully, being sure not to rip any cables.
    • Now, use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the front housing. Use medium heat on the front of the screen, consistently moving around the screen edges. This should take no longer than 1 minute.
    • Use a safe open pry tool to release the screen assembly from the housing. Reheat if the adhesive is still strong.
    • Remove the screen from the housing and replace.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
    We now have a downloadable version of this guide here - Samsung Infuse Screen Repair Guide
    Yes u can swap the Mother boards without any issue.

A question:

A question:

Hi,

The screen CAN NOT be replaced successfully without replacing the whole screen (both touch screen and LCD together). These are fused together on this model. You will need full Samsung Infuse Screen Replacement