"External" gamepads with Shield

Search This thread

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
Hi there,

let me explain my goal. I want to use my shield for all my PC gaming. Portable around the house, and that is great when the main TV is being used by other members of my family.

But also it's great to connect it to the TV when it's available. My main PC is a desktop one used for working and when I play I don't want to be there. I prefer sofa, bed, etc.

So, I wanted to have a fine console experience in my sofa in front of the tv, but wirelessly. I have these accesories for it:

attachment.php

USB OTG, HDMI, USB hub, USB-ethernet (the one that actually works is this: http://plugable.com/products/usb2-e1000 ), and wireless Xbox controller with the usb receiver.

Well,

I almost have it, but not 100%.

HDMI works
Ethernet works
USB hub works
Xbox controller works but D-pad does not, and that is frustrating, because every other button works fine and it's a joy to lie in my sofa to play that way. Some games need the D-pad and because of that this is not a solution.

The other way to use the Xbox controller is leaving it connected to the PC and it works good when I'm in front od the TV because my PC is just upstairs. BUT, most of the games when launched from Shield ignore the controller of the PC and only work with the Shield itself...

Is anyone crazy enough to try this way of gaming?

I know the Nyko dock would help to achieve this, but it's completely missing since it was announced...

Would a bluetooth gamepad work with all the buttons (D-pad included) for a perfect PC streaming experience???

Tomorrow I friend will let my try a PS3 controller. Let's see how it performs. I did not want to root, but I will at least to try it wirelessly.

Last edited:

agrabren

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
Is anyone crazy enough to try this way of gaming?

I use an OnLive controller. I haven't tried the XBox 360 Wireless dongle, but Bluetooth works great. If you're looking for a controller that has similar build quality and characteristics, I strongly recommend the OnLive one, even without the service (I don't have the service, just the control).

I'll give the dpad a try this weekend and verify it works on my SHIELD though, since I haven't tested that extensively.

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
I use an OnLive controller. I haven't tried the XBox 360 Wireless dongle, but Bluetooth works great. If you're looking for a controller that has similar build quality and characteristics, I strongly recommend the OnLive one, even without the service (I don't have the service, just the control).

I'll give the dpad a try this weekend and verify it works on my SHIELD though, since I haven't tested that extensively.

Thanks for answering.

Yesterday I tried a PS3 controllorer. I rooted my shield to use it wirelessly with the sixaxis app, and it works exactly the same as the Xbox controller. All the buttons are OK, except D-PAD ones.

It's weird, beacues the D-pad buttons work fine in the shield interface but not with PC-Steam games. It's a very small detail but if Nvidia solves this in future update would be perfect.

agrabren

Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
Thanks for answering.

Yesterday I tried a PS3 controllorer. I rooted my shield to use it wirelessly with the sixaxis app, and it works exactly the same as the Xbox controller. All the buttons are OK, except D-PAD ones.

It's weird, beacues the D-pad buttons work fine in the shield interface but not with PC-Steam games. It's a very small detail but if Nvidia solves this in future update would be perfect.

I didn't try streaming (I handle only the Android side of things) but I'll make sure a bug exists about it. I'll bet it'll get fixed pretty quick.

jchalk59

Jan 13, 2009
Same issue here!

I am having the EXACT same issue! Everything works perfectly except for the d-pad. I've also noticed that the right analog stick does not work like a "mouse" on the home screen like the native controller does.

If these 2 items would be fixed, I would have a veritable portable "steam machine" in my living room!

Will follow this thread and hope there is a resolution soon! I bought the Xbox 360 Receiver for this express purpose! Note: The wired 360 controller works perfectly, so was surprised about the wireless one not working.

agrabren

Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
The wired one is special, but I'd expect thus stuff to get fixed. I'll try to look into it.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
I bought the Xbox 360 Receiver for this express purpose! Note: The wired 360 controller works perfectly, so was surprised about the wireless one not working.

What do you mean it does not work?

PC receiver for Xbox controller works fine with the shield.

You can see my setup in the picture above and it works the same as a wired one.

You need the controller receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

And a true Xbox 360 wireless controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Glossy-Black/dp/B003ZSP0WW/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

If you root your shield, the PS3 controller is a good choice too. Less cables involved because you will be using bluetooth to pair with the shield.

But as we said, it's not a perfect experience. Many PC modern games use D-Pad buttons for extra options and without them you can't play properly.

Furyus

Oct 22, 2009
Wake Forest, North Carolina
I think you're being too literal on "not working" there King Conan. Read his post, he's having the same issue with lack of d-pad on the wireless. He considers this to be not working probably because of games that require the controls. I would have to agree, I use d-pad all the time.

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
but he says the wired works and the wireless don't...

Both work exactly the same, that's why I didn't get him.

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
Yes D-PAD problem happens wired or wireless.

The funny thing is that DPAD works fine in Android interface but doesn't in PC steam games.

Furyus

Oct 22, 2009
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Gotcha, sorry. I read the entire thread but for whatever reason I took away the problem was exclusive to wireless.

Hopefully they fix it in the next update, I just ordered a micro-HDMI cable and USB OTG adapter ;/

agrabren

Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
The wired and wireless ones report currently to Android at the low level.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app

agrabren

Mar 28, 2011
Weld County, CO
I've confirmed that there is definite work to improve external controllers, and we're working directly with multiple controller vendors to ensure their BT controllers are optimized for gameplay.

Reactions: Furyus

atarumoroboshi18

Oct 10, 2013
I'm a technical lead on SHIELD at NVIDIA. :) So yes, they did say that. I had to get details from management about what I could say before I could make any official statement about improved controller support.

Sweet! I've been trying to get the Mogo Pro controller working with my Shield, but to get the Universal Driver to work, it has to be rooted. Not going to root my Nvidia Shield, having too much fun with it. Once I get a reasonable wireless controller working with my Shield, this thing is going to be a powerhouse game console connected to a 50" TV.

tincore

Mar 12, 2013
Sweet! I've been trying to get the Mogo Pro controller working with my Shield, but to get the Universal Driver to work, it has to be rooted. Not going to root my Nvidia Shield, having too much fun with it. Once I get a reasonable wireless controller working with my Shield, this thing is going to be a powerhouse game console connected to a 50" TV.

You can use my app. Tested and running. (TIncore keymapper)

Btw. The latest beta (3.0.5) has some UI fixes for the shield.

Thank you Nvidia!! Also thank you PowerA!! These two companies support development!!

Last edited:

king conan

Jan 20, 2010
You can use my app. Tested and running. (TIncore keymapper)

Btw. The latest beta (3.0.5) has some UI fixes for the shield.

Thank you Nvidia!! Also thank you PowerA!! These two companies support development!!

Hi tincore!

can your app replicate all the shield buttons including the D-PAD ones? Have you tried in a shield?

Makes any sense to try your app with a xbox controller?

thank you!

tincore

Mar 12, 2013
Hi tincore!

can your app replicate all the shield buttons including the D-PAD ones? Have you tried in a shield?

thank you!

What you mean exactly by replicate? Every button and stick funcion can be remapped.

I don't have an xbox controller but I imagine that the kernel has the gamepad modules so if you are rooted it should work. If you are not rooted this is also possible but I would need a data capture so I can include it on the next release.

http://tincore.wiki-site.com/index.php/Usage#USB_Data_capturer

Reactions: tehpud

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did Nvidia say that?

Or do you work with them?

That's great to hear.

I'm a technical lead on SHIELD at NVIDIA. :) So yes, they did say that. I had to get details from management about what I could say before I could make any official statement about improved controller support.
    I've confirmed that there is definite work to improve external controllers, and we're working directly with multiple controller vendors to ensure their BT controllers are optimized for gameplay.
    Hi tincore!

thank you!

What you mean exactly by replicate? Every button and stick funcion can be remapped.

I don't have an xbox controller but I imagine that the kernel has the gamepad modules so if you are rooted it should work. If you are not rooted this is also possible but I would need a data capture so I can include it on the next release.

http://tincore.wiki-site.com/index.php/Usage#USB_Data_capturer
    With the onlive universal, the Bluetooth connectivity is poor but its good with USB? So that's with an otg cable and USB receiver? I bought the nyko pro pad, was able to update it through all that jb 4.1 crap and it still performs horribly. The triggers don't won't and there is terrible lag and the joysticks squeak after 30 mins of use. The shield is an amazing device but getting the best out of console mode is tough with all the controller issues. I'm still debating whether or not to get the onlive or ps3 with sixaxis

I have also just updated my Nyko Playpad Pro and it works flawless! Dpad support and fully functional! No loss of connection and no LAGG
    Nyko Playpad Pro and Gamestream