[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [09/18/2012]

Search This thread

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
I have not been on the forum for a couple days so I will respond to a few things.

Supersu is not required, rootkeeper will work with superuser installed as well.

The best option I have seen for the next root is the google restore exploit, but it has yet to be adjusted for the asus devices.

I will help in any way I see possible to help figure a new root method out, or create a tool that is needed if a manual root method is found. Until then, reverting to ics, rooting, and upgrade seems to be the only route. Though I am vague on the details of that procedure.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Flashben

Oct 12, 2010
I have not been on the forum for a couple days so I will respond to a few things.

The best option I have seen for the next root is the google restore exploit, but it has yet to be adjusted for the asus devices.

I will help in any way I see possible to help figure a new root method out, or create a tool that is needed if a manual root method is found. Until then, reverting to ics, rooting, and upgrade seems to be the only route. Though I am vague on the details of that procedure.

Thanks for the hard work.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using xda premium

thenrz

Dec 9, 2010

We've had quite a bit of luck restoring root after the JB update for those who lost it. Hopefully the adb restore procedure can be tuned for our tabs.

beckzz

Sep 17, 2011
Berlin
I don't know how to revert to ICS from stock JB.
Could anyone explain or provide a link to a comprehensive thread ?

Thank you.

Laurent

Hey, if you got a locked bootloader and no custom recovery, there is atm no way to get back to ICS, once you updated to JB on your prime.
With JB-Update Asus also updated the bootloader and you'll get a signature verification error if you try to flash ICS.zip...
after showing you this error your prime will boot jb again...

Grz

Laurentwb

Jan 10, 2012
Hey, if you got a locked bootloader and no custom recovery, there is atm no way to get back to ICS, once you updated to JB on your prime.
With JB-Update Asus also updated the bootloader and you'll get a signature verification error if you try to flash ICS.zip...
after showing you this error your prime will boot jb again...

Grz

No good new :(

One more question : Why didn't they update the tool to unlock the bootloader ? They change their mind about giving this freedom to customers willing to use it ?

beckzz

Sep 17, 2011
Berlin
No good new :(

One more question : Why didn't they update the tool to unlock the bootloader ? They change their mind about giving this freedom to customers willing to use it ?

hehe, thats a question many people asking...me included...and there is no answer in sight..
im trying to find some smart dev, like sparky (asked a question about it 2 pages earlier, but unfortunately he missed it...think im gonna write a pm to him..) who will do some intensive research on this topic...

but no success so far...
maybe you check this out: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1764917

did you already try to unlock? Many people reported, that the tool is working with JB, too. (except you are one of "us" - unable to unlock, na matter what you try to do...not in ICS, not in JB, not with S/N, not without S/N)

"They change their mind about giving this freedom to customers willing to use it" - no, looks like nobody @ Asus cares about the prime users anymore (except Tien, of course!) So, no change, they never really wanted too, otherwise they wouldnt have developed this crappy tool, which has to communicate with a crappy server.

Grz

Last edited:

Laurentwb

Jan 10, 2012
In fact, I never tried to unlock. It is good enough for me to root.
I was asking because it is a surprise to see that what was given in the past is not anymore.
It is probably that they don't care anymore. Poor customer service, I would say.

lensgrabber

May 10, 2012
Golden
You can flash a rooted ROM

Yeah I might get pissed off enough to do this. I'm unlocked, have TWRP, and had root before doing a manual update from the sdcard. su was blown away. I wish there was a way to flash a root zip somehow. This whole thing is starting to get me pissed enough to flash some other ROM and start buying Nexus devices from now on. That Nexus 7 looks sweet but the keyboard dock on the prime is going to be hard to replace.

Reactions: Bait-Fish

Ardito

Oct 12, 2007
Piacenza
Yeah I might get pissed off enough to do this. I'm unlocked, have TWRP, and had root before doing a manual update from the sdcard. su was blown away. I wish there was a way to flash a root zip somehow. This whole thing is starting to get me pissed enough to flash some other ROM and start buying Nexus devices from now on. That Nexus 7 looks sweet but the keyboard dock on the prime is going to be hard to replace.

Have you seen this?

Reactions: lensgrabber

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
TF700 - lost OTA

Well I rooted today (thanks sparkym3) it went smoothly for me. I installed SuperSu over superuser. Then busybox.

After installing Voodoo rootkeeper I decided to make sure my OTA was still working so ..

1) turned of wifi
2) unfroze CMclient
3) cleared data for both CMclient and DMclient
4) Hit temp-unroot
5) turned on wifi

Went to check for updates - nothing!

So it appears that rooting has killed OTA on my transformer unless I'm missing something.
The only thing I can think of is that when JB was released I had checked for updates and it started downloading automatically. In order to stop this I had to turn off wifi and clear the data for CM and DM client. I didn't try again so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I naturally assumed that I could check for updates again when I had rooted and it would work.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

Flashben

Oct 12, 2010
Well I rooted today (thanks sparkym3) it went smoothly for me. I installed SuperSu over superuser. Then busybox.

After installing Voodoo rootkeeper I decided to make sure my OTA was still working so ..

1) turned of wifi
2) unfroze CMclient
3) cleared data for both CMclient and DMclient
4) Hit temp-unroot

Went to check for updates - nothing!

So it appears that rooting has killed OTA on my transformer unless I'm missing something.
The only thing I can think of is that when JB was released I had checked for updates and it started downloading automatically. In order to stop this I had to turn off wifi and clear the data for CM and DM client. I didn't try again so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I naturally assumed that I could check for updates again when I had rooted and it would work.

Any ideas appreciated.

I dont think root has killed your ota, you need to turn on your wifi for the ota to be downloaded automatically.

Btw i just received another ota for kernels improvement and updated it and still kept my root.... so maybe, asus is trying to combine to 2 update into one before sending out to your area?

Reactions: louiscar

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
I dont think root has killed your ota, you need to turn on your wifi for the ota to be downloaded automatically.

Btw i just received another ota for kernels improvement and updated it and still kept my root.... so maybe, asus is trying to combine to 2 update into one before sending out to your area?

Sorry, in my list I did forget to put the 'turned on wifi step' . I'd get 'network error' if it was off but when on 'there are no updates for your device' .

I'm not sure about Asus combining, but I could wait I guess. I did find a couple of files in the /data directory:

fw_update_progress & isp_fw_progress

the first one has a 0 in it and the second has '100' both are text

When I checked before though they both had some java function call error. I tried moving these two files (someone did this to get their update button un-greyed, although mine is always there even when cmclient is frozen), out of the folder but to no avail. The java error btw, I figured was to do with me aborting the update so I wasn't too concerned about this and since they have changed now to holding two simple text numbers I assume this is not an issue.

So far I haven't come across anyone that can confirm that rooting has killed their OTA but I do see threads where people say they don't get them anymore and are still Locked. The only thing know to try is to clear data on the CM / DMclient files but as these are clearly not affecting it, it may be either your explanation or there is more to it when Asus checks the device.

Last edited:

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
No, root itself doesn't kill the OTA. When I was having the same problem as you, I had started to download an update and something porked the download. After that regardless of what I did to C/DMClient, my WiFi, or the files cached for the update, I could not get the OTA again.

The only thing I've personally found to work to correct this is to back up all your data (don't forget things on the internal SD), perform a full factory reset via the recovery menu, re-root, restore data, protect root with Voodoo Rootkeeper, then try to update. (I actually always forget to root first, so the update downloads, then I root and freak out about the tab restarting for the root. Don't worry though, it works out fine and doesn't install the update lol)

Again, regardless of clearing data, cache, uninstalling, and replacing the C/DMClient apps I could not get the OTA without factory resetting through the recovery menu. I had also tried removing the files put in place by the failed OTA update and that didn't help.

Reactions: louiscar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
    Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.
    Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
    v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
    v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
    v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
    v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
    v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
    v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
    v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
    v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
    v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
    XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
    v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
    I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
    v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
    v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
    v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27611187&postcount=3
    Latest Supported Versions:
    v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.30 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

Reported UNsupported Versions
    v10.4.2.15 for the TF201 (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.4.16 for the TF700T (JB 4.1.1)
    v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)

any one confirmed? what's the risk, if it doesnt work?

The risk if it doesn't would should just be that you wouldn't have root.

We already have confirmation that the method works (so there should be no risk there). We just don't have confirmation that I didn't make a typo or other mistake when putting it all together.
    It appears it cannot find "su" in the /system/xbin/ folder. Using Root Browser (free) I have confirmed it *is* there. Wierd date stamp on it tho - 31 June 1969...

There is also a "su" in the /system/bin/ folder. hmmmmm ..... I wonder ....

Can you send me the result of the commands (in adb shell):

ls -l /system/*/su
    echo $PATH

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Having the exact same problem trying manually and with the tool...

Since SU is still installed but root was lost it cannot write the new SU... the old one is a protected system file you can not overwrite or delete....

Until we can find a way to delete(uninstall) previous version of SU no root for us :-(

Oh ok, I see what it is. Let me find a way to solve this quickly.

EDIT: The problem comes from OTA RootKeeper in my opinion, it does a "chattr +i /system/xbin/su" to prevent Asus OTA to overwrite or delete the file.
    Here is the trick to solve it, very simple, insert the command "rm su" before the write command, like this:

debugfs: cd xbin
    debugfs: rm su
    debugfs: write /data/local/su su
    debugfs: set_inode_field su mode 0104755
    debugfs: set_inode_field su uid 0
    debugfs: set_inode_field su gid 0
    debugfs: quit

Will update my OP.