Yoobao 2400mah battery review! Updated with more data, Get Learned up on Batteries!

Search This thread

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
I know this is a long read, please bare with me, as I not only am reviewing the Yoobao battery but also, providing some information on batteries in general and how the G1 battery works (read post 11).

A few days ago I got a Yoobao 2400MAH battery on ebay for $25 shipped. Here's my little review so far after a few days of use.

Background: I'm an avid RC flyer. I own electric powered and gas powered planes and have done a lot of work with Lipo and Li-ion batteries and have applied the same things I've learned from there to any and all batteries.

Few things I've learned is never let a battery drain to it's bare minimum. I've read numerous times that one should let the battery die all the way and charge it all the way and let it die again. For Lipo and Li-On, 80-90% drain is ideal before recharging again. I'll continue with this later. This does not apply to the G1 though, just a general pointer. Read post 11 to see why this does not apply to G1.

Now on to the battery.

The battery comes with the the extended cover. Which has a nice rubbery feel to it.

The battery came with the charge at 70%, which is nominal for shipping and storage. i got it and plugged it in and charged to to max. I then used it through out the day and right off the bat, it was performing wonderfully. By the end of the day, I still had 60% power left, when normally, I would have drained the stock battery by now. I did not charge the battery that night (Monday night) and by morning still have 50% charge. I charged it when it was down to about 15%, a full charge took about 2.2 hours. Which sounds about right, assuming the wall charger was providing 1Amp constant, the 2.2 hours of charge time equates to about 2200Mah of charge.

From a full charge, I've watched a 2 hour long movie, gtalked, SMSed and it has drained about 40% (60% remaining).

It is typically offering twice the length then my stock battery was, Though I've had it 3 days, I will continually update this thread.

i do have the tools and equipment to measure the charge this batter takes in So I will do that tonight and report my findings. I plan to drain the battery to 15% and charge with my digital charger and see how many MAH it takes in. I expect it to take in minimum 2000mah at 85% discharge.

So far, I give it a thumbs up especially at $25.

My brother has the seido 2600. I will test that as well.

Pointers:
Conditioning the Li-on battery by draining it to 0% and recharging and then draining to 0% is rather harmful to the battery. Lipo and Li-on cells do like going below 3.0-3.2V. The Nominal Voltage of the cell is 3.7V, a fully charged cell is at 4.2V-4.25V or so. Dropping it below 3.0V cause more harm to the battery then good. (Again this does not apply to G1)

Try to avoid draining the battery all the way if you are not able to charge it. Most phones have a cut off point, and my guess is for the G1 battery, it's 3.2V, or I hope it is (actually, it's 3.5V as you will read about it in post 11). But you use the phone to where it cuts of, and are not able to charge the batter for a few days, then that could drop the voltage to below 3.0 (over time). I've seen people do this when they use multiple batteries, and end up killing all of them because they let them sit while fully discharged. Big no no with Li-ons.

LI-on doesn't suffer from memory loss , charge them whenever possible. They do how ever become uncalibrated. Meaning if you constantly plug it in at random discharges (which is perfectly fine), the state of charge may differ from the actual charge gauge. Simple problem to resolve, Drain the battery too 3.2V ( I will post if draining the battery on the g1 to 0% is 3.2V or not) and fully recharge.

More numbers on the Yoobao, Seido and stock batter later.

Last edited:

tercero12

May 21, 2009
Thanks for the info. I was a little taken aback when I read about this "drain it all the way" advice too. I just got my g1 and I'm still on the stock battery. I'm curious to know what you find.

Thanks for posting.

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
Very good review man. I hope this one doesn't get merged with that big o battery thread. This one actually has information coming from someone that knows their stuff.

Subscribed!

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
Sorry about that, I totally overlooked the accessories section :). I was wondering why no one was replying lol.

Anyways, I still can't do the test because I'm waiting for the battery to die! I charged it yesterday morning, Since then I have turned t he brightness at 75%, been using it at the gym, browsing the web, and was on the phone yesterday for atleast 2 hours and was on gtalk last night for a about an hour. Then left the phone on all last night (though in standby).
I do have wi-fi and GPS OFF as I don't use it, it is working 3G.

Currently I'm at 46% so Still waiting for the thing to go down to 15%. Maybe I can finally drain it down today and test it tonight.

ma3a20

Jul 17, 2008
Sorry about that, I totally overlooked the accessories section :). I was wondering why no one was replying lol.

Anyways, I still can't do the test because I'm waiting for the battery to die! I charged it yesterday morning, Since then I have turned t he brightness at 75%, been using it at the gym, browsing the web, and was on the phone yesterday for atleast 2 hours and was on gtalk last night for a about an hour. Then left the phone on all last night (though in standby).
I do have wi-fi and GPS OFF as I don't use it, it is working 3G.

Currently I'm at 46% so Still waiting for the thing to go down to 15%. Maybe I can finally drain it down today and test it tonight.
That's the first time I'm hearing about someone waiting for their battery to die :eek: Good review :)

lucky 69

Jan 11, 2009
brazil ,indiana u.s.a
very good review .im glad your reviewing the 2400 and hope fully 2600. i am getting ready to buy one or the other ,i know the is a big price diff. between them.cant wait till ya update this thread:)

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
Alright so Last night I finally got the battery down to 9%. I've got some interesting findings.
Few more things I'd like to point out before presenting some numbers.

Background on battery ratings: Batteries are rated in mAH aka Milliamp Hour, or how much power/charge a battery will hold. How is this measured? I won't go into details so will just give a run down version of it. Batteries are rated from their lower cutt-off voltage to the maximum voltage. The lower cut-off voltage for Li-ion and Li-po is 3.0-3.2V (3.2V being ideal).

The mAH rating is the amount of charge that it took to take the battery from 3.2V to 4.2V. In the Li-ion case, the lower cutt-off is 3.2V, the Nominal voltage is 3.7V and the maximum voltage is 4.2. Anything under 3.2V is over draining and anything over 4.2 is overcharging.

Why do I bring up the above? to give you an idea of how these batteries get rated.
Often companies will rate their batteries from a lower cut-off point to have HIGHER CAPACITY RATING. For example, if I Charge a li-ion cell from 3.0V to 4.2V, it will take in extra capacity as opposed to if I charge it from 3.2V to 4.2v, It just looks good on paper and spec sheet. This happens often. same with AA rechargeables, the lower cutt-off range is usually 1.0V but often companies will rate from .9V to achieve higher numbers. You will never see this disclosed on the battery, you'll just see the rating. (It will never say Capacity 1800mAH from .9v) etc.

Again, what's the point? There are a couple of points.

1) The G1 NEVER drains the battery down to 3.2V. It's cut-off point is surprisingly 3.5V. I do not know the specifics, perhaps the G1 cannot operate below 3.5V.
This means that even though the phone is dead, the battery still has some juice in it, just not enough to power the G1 or it may be enough to power the G1 but the power management of G1 is not allowing it.
The stock G1 battery which is rated at 1150 mAH, is only being used down to 3.5V, which means you're only using ABOUT 800-900 mAH of it's capacity before phone shuts off.

2) This Yoobao battery is surprisingly, very well rated. At 9 % power, It was still reading 3.6V. REMEMBER: that's 9% till the 3.5V cut off. The battery was most likely rated at 2400mAH from 3.2V! When I hooked it up to my li-ion charger, I was able to push in roughly 2000mAH. so In other words I rate this battery 2000mAH from 3.6V. Yoobao rated it 2400mAH from likely 3.2V. And I would conclude that the rating is accurate and not over inflated.

CONCLUSION: You will never use the full capacity of the battery just because of the way the G1 is designed. It will always cut off at 3.5V. The good thing about this is you will never over drain your battery, so you can run your G1 to the dead point as many times as you want as you will never go below 3.5V. Nice feature but I'd rather have it go down to 3.2 so I can squeeze that extra power out of the battery (Wonder if this could be software modified).

TWO THUMBS UP!!! to YOOBAO 2400mAH battery. Priced at $25.

Some rough numbers:
Stock 1150mAH : 850-950 useable mAH
2400mAH: 2000-2100 useable mAH
2600mAH: ASSUMED 2200-2350 usebale mAH as I have not test my brothers seido yet.

Any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

*I'm in no way shape or form related to the manufacturer of any batteries, I'm just a regular consumer who bought the extended battery and decided to review it since it's rather a new product.

Last edited:

godsfilth

Mar 31, 2009
i was thinking of getting this for my girlfriend instead of a mugen power one like i have but i just wanted to know about the battery cover this comes with.

my mugen has these little plastic cone things that go to the camera lens and speaker phone to help keep crap from my pockets from getting all the way inside and it helps with speaker sound, so my question is does this battery back have anything like that or is it just hollow or something?

thanks

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
Some pictures as requested. I would save the two pictures where I'm holding the phone with both hands and just go back and forth on those two just to get a idea of how thicker it got.

bat1.JPG

bat2.JPG

bat3.JPG

case1.JPG

hand1.JPG

hand1_2.JPG

hand2.JPG

hand2_2.JPG

hand3.JPG

hand3_3.JPG

hand4.JPG

hand4_2.JPG

zgmf-x322a

Sep 30, 2008
i wouldnt try the batt if it come from china...
coz there are alot of problems with batts from china....
i.e. battery explosion

Saiboogu

Apr 28, 2009
Frostburg MD
Thanks for the review - best one I've read on here, sounds like a good battery.

i wouldnt try the batt if it come from china...
coz there are alot of problems with batts from china....
i.e. battery explosion

You do realize that almost all the batteries come from China, right? It's possible to get decent products from there - just because it's "Made in China" doesn't mean it's automatically crap. Need to read reviews, use common sense, etc for something purchased from anyplace.

dkb218

Apr 16, 2006
Bronx by way of Brooklyn
Hate bidding. I wish there was a "Buy-It-Now" on this item. It's gonna be kinda cool leaving my home and not having to worry about my phone dying.

Edit: Got outbid on Ebay last night. Battery went for $33. Glad I lost. Just order the same one on Ebay with a buy it now for $19.50. I wonder how long the shipping is from China?

Last edited: