[APP]AutoFolders - Automatic applications organizer

Search This thread

Mecid8

Jan 7, 2011
Baku
These days, the number of apps on my phone took a hundred. It's hard to navigate through apps. So I decided to develop new app, which will sort all the apps and create a folder of apps by category on your phone's Home Screen. I found out that there's no such app on Market. Yes, there are apps with which you can do it all manually (Apps Organizer, Folder Organizer, etc). But dragging all 120 apps to folders by category, it's too bad. So I decided to develop my app sorter.

Tasks, features to be performed by the sorter.
Automatically sort applications by category (how to do this is the topic of another post).
Gives you possibility to create your own own categories.
Enables the correct choice of the category, if app categories choosen wrong it.

Developing such an app has took couple of nights, and now I can show you the first alpha version. While it's raw, may slow down in some places, it will all be fixed closer to release. And now I need your help in testing the app, mostly to improve definition of app categories. I think that if the app will determine at least 50% of application categories correctly, it will be excellent result (in the intelligence app not too much).

Here is a link to the application: autofolders.apk

How to use the application.

Usability and design of the app still unfinished, as it's alpha version. It will all be fixed closer to release. In the meantime, test its intellectual abilities.

How to make it work?
Install the application on the link above
Start it
Wait 10 seconds before the application will find all of your apps and display them.
Each app will be indicated in the list of its category.
Look at the percentage of wrong app category selections.

How to create a folder of apps on your home screen?

Tap and hold on the free space on home screen and choose-> Select Shortcut -> AutoFolders -> Select the category you want to add.

Thanks for your help.

UPD. The list of categories which can determine
Communications
Tools
Play (have some problems with them)
Others

UPD1.
Roadmap
Category recognition improved
Number of recognizable categories increased
Ability to add mass change of categories (manually)

Mecid8

Jan 7, 2011
Baku
device-2011-12-20-230600.png
device-2011-12-20-230723.png

new version
autofolders.apk

benjamingwynn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2011
xenxier.com
Finally! Somebody with an idea that WILL change android for the rest if it's days. Am I allowed to include this in my own custom roms?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda premium

Reactions: Mecid8

cbeck

Jul 6, 2009
Curious, does your app pull categories from the android Market like livesorter?

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

liquidini

Apr 8, 2010
It doesn't recognise games like reckless racing, sentinel. Very nice try though :)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Reactions: Mecid8
Reactions: jna9000

k1000716

Mar 26, 2011
Dude, your waaaay too late on this. This has already been done and a very good app already exists.......

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.utility.autoapporganizer&hl=en

And I use three different note apps on my phone. Different apps have different strengths, I will be trying this and look forward too seeing how it develops.

@Mecid8
Keep up the good work and don't let negative comments pull you down. It may have been done before, but that doesn't mean you can't do it better.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Last edited:

Vengfulr3ap3r

Nov 18, 2011
Harlan

talhamid

Jun 18, 2010
Sorry guys, AutoAppOrganizer is there and I am surprised that this app turns up on the main landing page of XDA.

No offence, but guys with programming talent should utilize it better. In particular, before starting a project, check whether something similar exists already.

No, Angry Birds analogy does NOT work here. Games are different from apps. You might need three versions of Angry Birds (I know I do) but I just need ONE SMS app, for example.

And I am also not a fan of the spontaneous 'support' that springs up in response to any adverse comments. 'Permissions' seems to be the scapegoat used to discredit CLEARLY SUPERIOR apps. Sorry guys, its doubly unfair to the app creator.

Vengfulr3ap3r

Nov 18, 2011
Harlan
Sorry guys, AutoAppOrganizer is there and I am surprised that this app turns up on the main landing page of XDA.

No offence, but guys with programming talent should utilize it better. In particular, before starting a project, check whether something similar exists already.

No, Angry Birds analogy does NOT work here. Games are different from apps. You might need three versions of Angry Birds (I know I do) but I just need ONE SMS app, for example.

And I am also not a fan of the spontaneous 'support' that springs up in response to any adverse comments. 'Permissions' seems to be the scapegoat used to discredit CLEARLY SUPERIOR apps. Sorry guys, its doubly unfair to the app creator.

The "permissions" thing I stated isn't a scapegoat to discredit the developer. It's an actual concern. I mean I can fully understand it needing internet access, to check the list of apps against an internet database to see which app should be sorted into which category. But not the mass majority of the rest. "autoapps organizer" should essentially be an automated version of "apps organizer" yet "apps organizer" requires NO SPECIAL PERMISSIONS. So why in the @*#$ does it need to know my location, to read my logs, the devices serial/phone number, the ability to modify internal memory or have the ability to install apps.

So, i am rather glad someone decided to develop an auto sorting app. Because I am not going to use AutoAppOrganizer. Not when it requires the following permissions;

Your location
Coarse (network-based) Location
Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.

Network communication
Full Internet Access
Allows an application to create network sockets.

Your Personal Information
Read Sensitive Log Data
Allows an application to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the device, potentially including personal or private information.

Phone Calls
Read Phone State and Identity
Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

Storage
Modify/Delete USB Storage Contents modify/Delete SD Card Contents
Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

System Tools
Retrieve Running Applications
Allows application to retrieve information about currently and recently running tasks. May allow malicious applications to discover private information about other applications.
Prevent Device From Sleeping
Allows an application to prevent the device from going to sleep.

Network Communication
View Network State
Allows an application to view the state of all networks.

System Tools
Automatically Start At Boot
Allows an application to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the device and allow the application to slow down the overall device by always running.

Directly Install Applications
Allows an application to install new or updated Android packages. Malicious applications can use this to add new applications with arbitrarily powerful permissions.

Last edited:

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
You could had said the same to the maker of Angry Bird, they where not the first to do a destroy the castle type game... that's the beauty of Android if you want to make the 99th fart game on the market it's allowed, Apple should be sued for fart discrimination ;)

Yes I know that but I guess my comment was more related to the fact that this has been posted on front page, as if it was something brand new and not been done before.

Also your point about Angry birds is flawed and irrelevant.

nizzle1

Oct 20, 2010
This app is awesome :D just a small suggestion, maybe you could introduce themes to the app so that people may customize the look of the folders to match their homescreen :) Keep up the great work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These days, the number of apps on my phone took a hundred. It's hard to navigate through apps. So I decided to develop new app, which will sort all the apps and create a folder of apps by category on your phone's Home Screen. I found out that there's no such app on Market. Yes, there are apps with which you can do it all manually (Apps Organizer, Folder Organizer, etc). But dragging all 120 apps to folders by category, it's too bad. So I decided to develop my app sorter.

Tasks, features to be performed by the sorter.
    Automatically sort applications by category (how to do this is the topic of another post).
    Gives you possibility to create your own own categories.
    Enables the correct choice of the category, if app categories choosen wrong it.

Developing such an app has took couple of nights, and now I can show you the first alpha version. While it's raw, may slow down in some places, it will all be fixed closer to release. And now I need your help in testing the app, mostly to improve definition of app categories. I think that if the app will determine at least 50% of application categories correctly, it will be excellent result (in the intelligence app not too much).

Here is a link to the application: autofolders.apk

How to use the application.

Usability and design of the app still unfinished, as it's alpha version. It will all be fixed closer to release. In the meantime, test its intellectual abilities.

How to make it work?
    Install the application on the link above
    Start it
    Wait 10 seconds before the application will find all of your apps and display them.
    Each app will be indicated in the list of its category.
    Look at the percentage of wrong app category selections.

How to create a folder of apps on your home screen?

Tap and hold on the free space on home screen and choose-> Select Shortcut -> AutoFolders -> Select the category you want to add.

Thanks for your help.

UPD. The list of categories which can determine
    Communications
    Tools
    Play (have some problems with them)
    Others

UPD1.
    Roadmap
    Category recognition improved
    Number of recognizable categories increased
    Ability to add mass change of categories (manually)
    Finally! Somebody with an idea that WILL change android for the rest if it's days. Am I allowed to include this in my own custom roms?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda premium
    Is it compatible with Sense 3.5?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    It doesn't recognise games like reckless racing, sentinel. Very nice try though :)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App