ROOT S720C (Samsung Proclaim straight talk)

Search This thread

jcmarx

Jun 24, 2009
Anyone got a root going for the new straight talk (verizon) Samsung Proclaim S720C ?

This will be great for me an affordable phone on straight talk with verizon coverage all I need is root :D

jcmarx

Jun 24, 2009
Has anyone tried the one clikc root fo this phone? I havnt been active on the site for close to 2 years so did some back reading and have seen stuff on the one clikc root but hate to be the first to try it as im not the most tech savy here

titanguy7

May 15, 2012
Im wanting this phone too! Im just trying to find official word if its verizon. Im sure theres a root for the phone somewhere its an old droid.

jcmarx

Jun 24, 2009
It is Verizon for sure I got my daughter one and my father one as well since verizon is the only carrier who gets service where my father lives except US cellular. The phone works great.

In the rural area we are in you have slim pickings as to what carrier has good service in certain areas.

Verizon has great coverage in this area but their contract phones are a bit pricey for my father and daughter's usage. But to get Verizon coverage on an android pre paid with straight talk is just a win/win for me. The only thing is that I really would like to root these phones so that they can use wifi tehtering in a pinch.

Its not going to be very often but sure is handy when you need it.

at the moment I have them set up for USB tethered sharing for internet when they have to have it mobile.

Id be willing to donate if someone takes up the challenge of rooting the Proclaim/illusion

behemothZ3R0

Jul 15, 2011
I'm not currently a developer, but between the Proclaim and the Illusion I would think there's enough of an audience to develop something for these phones. The user group should be rather large.

titanguy7

May 15, 2012
I got it! But I hope we can get a trusted root. I'm afraid the straight talk software will go buggy if I root it. And I want to go over to ice cream.

krs2012

Jun 15, 2012
Im wanting this phone too! Im just trying to find official word if its verizon. Im sure theres a root for the phone somewhere its an old droid.

Yes it is using verizon service! haven't been able to root yet...

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Has anyone tried the one clikc root fo this phone? I havnt been active on the site for close to 2 years so did some back reading and have seen stuff on the one clikc root but hate to be the first to try it as im not the most tech savy here

Yes I have tried the oneclickroot and it gets stuck on step 7...

cozmo_agp

Jan 2, 2010
anything yet

anyone get anywhere with this phone yet....i have one and i have tried oneclick root and root unlock and neither worked,,,id love to get it rooted and mabey some new roms,,,,id be happy to donate something to the cause

samt3

Jun 21, 2012
Tried everything on this phone.

I've tried everything i can find on my proclaim the oneclick, z4root and a few others I even tried a root i found for a Samsung illusion (same phone just not the prepaid version) that last one broke my phone. Glad Walmart and a no questions asked exchange policy.

cozmo_agp

Jan 2, 2010
it works

yes it works and i have had no problems at all....just follow the simple directions and you will have a rooted proclaim in minutes.....cheers

pbrian138

Apr 18, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
yes it works and i have had no problems at all....just follow the simple directions and you will have a rooted proclaim in minutes.....cheers

Do you have problems since you rooted when connecting the phone to your computer via USB? I've read there are problems with that once root is performed based on the link I provided above.

How long have you been rooted cozmo?

gmen6981@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2012
Do you have problems since you rooted when connecting the phone to your computer via USB? I've read there are problems with that once root is performed based on the link I provided above.

How long have you been rooted cozmo?[/QUOTEI rooted my Proclaim, everything is fine except when connected to my computer the sd card shows up as a disc drive. I can view all the files, but if I try to delete anything. or move anything between the computer and phone it tells me the disc is write- protected.

glitchbit

Jul 27, 2007
Figured out how to get the MSL code!

So after spending too much time at this I happened over an interesting method.. and that was to simply use the free LauncherPro and create a shortcut on the main screen for com.android.hiddenmenu.advanced. You simply install LauncherPro and hold down on the main screen to create a shortcut then go into Activities and scroll down to com.android.hiddenmenu and there are a ton of options there. A lot of them will not actually open up even when you try this method but advanced will open and ask for a SPC code and when it fails aLogCat will log the correct code!!

So to sum it up
1. Download LauncherPro
2. Download alogcat & use msl filter
3. Create a shortcut/activities
4. com.android.hiddenmenu.advanced
5. open the shortcut and type in a bad SPC
6. Success you have now logged your SPC in alogcat.

Nm.. I went ahead and took a look but it does not appear like the hiddenmenu contains any references to the "secret code(s)" and I know creating a shortcut to ETS Channel fails.. so maybe it is the hiddenmenu.apk? Otherwise I am not sure how to fix it if the phone is lacking in some way.

Last edited:
Reactions: nrgyitguy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Didn't use the boot animation. I didn't need it, though I have not tried replacing the boot animation either.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Proclaim using XDA app

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Also after flashing the new kernel you will lose 3g but it is an easy fix, do *28890 and you week gain 3g again

Sent from my rooted Samsung Proclaim using XDA app
    Figured out how to get the MSL code!

So after spending too much time at this I happened over an interesting method.. and that was to simply use the free LauncherPro and create a shortcut on the main screen for com.android.hiddenmenu.advanced. You simply install LauncherPro and hold down on the main screen to create a shortcut then go into Activities and scroll down to com.android.hiddenmenu and there are a ton of options there. A lot of them will not actually open up even when you try this method but advanced will open and ask for a SPC code and when it fails aLogCat will log the correct code!!

So to sum it up
    1. Download LauncherPro
    2. Download alogcat & use msl filter
    3. Create a shortcut/activities
    4. com.android.hiddenmenu.advanced
    5. open the shortcut and type in a bad SPC
    6. Success you have now logged your SPC in alogcat.

Nm.. I went ahead and took a look but it does not appear like the hiddenmenu contains any references to the "secret code(s)" and I know creating a shortcut to ETS Channel fails.. so maybe it is the hiddenmenu.apk? Otherwise I am not sure how to fix it if the phone is lacking in some way.
    This is a post by MegaGamerGuy over at androidarea51.com It's a fix for the sd card being write protected. IT WORKS!!! I've done it on my proclaim and a few others have too. You can use terminal emulator on the phone to do this.

I found a quick fix!

go into the adb shell and type:

echo /dev/block/vold/179:9 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun1/file

Edit:
    This mounts iso files!
    echo /etc/autorun.iso > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file

Another update:
    /etc/vold.fstab
    change lun0 to lun1.
    save vold.fstab.
    reboot.
    connect as usb mass storage device.

Sent from Proclaim w/ TapaTalk 2
    I have rooted my phone using the Android Area51 method. They use a proclaim as the base kernel instead of the illusion so 3g/wifi will work. I have created my own guide on how to do this including how to fix the SD card issue

Everything works on my phone now. No issues at all. Maybe this will help anybody wanting to root their Proclaim

Since I am not allowed to post links here yet, search Frihost's site for the rooting proclaim guide I have wrote.

Also they, androidarea51 is working on getting cwm working on the phone as well. From what I hear, they are getting close.
    I did run the boot animation fix and have changed it several times since. Whichever animation you download/use just rename it to sanim.zip and place it in /system/etc I believe..

Sent from Proclaim w/ TapaTalk 2