[Project] [15-Nov-2009] Linux Android on Blackstone by #htc-linux team

Search This thread

mitikos

Sep 24, 2008
WARNING!!!! SOMEONE (ME ALSO) LOST THE USE OF VOLUME BOTTONS AND CAMERA IN WINDOWS MOBILE AFTER TESTING THIS ANDROID VERSION, THE ONLY WAY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM IS A HARD RESET, SINCE WE ARE STILL TRYING TO FIX THIS KIND OF PROBLEMS I SUGGEST YOU TO TRY IT ONLY IF YOU ARE READY TO A POSSIBLE HARD RESET!!!

REMEMBER: ALWAYS WAIT FOR WINDOWS MOBILE TO FINISH HIS BOOTING SEQUENCE BEFORE STARTING HARET.EXE, MIGHT BE THIS THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM

Screenshots in the second post (Thanks a lot aavan)

FAQ At 3rd post (thanks a lot Rizlo)

Here's the new Thread a lot of people asked for:

A new project is born to port Android on different htc devices with the same build.

A team of linux experts on #htc-linux is working hard to make it real and i'm trying to keep You updated with it.

Installation:

1- backup your data from yor sdcard to somewhere on your Computer (just to save pictures and music from accidents)

2- Format your sdcard fat32

3- download http://www.cobaltcode.com/fileupload/data/Android/AllInOne/Android-Donut-htclinux-15-11-09.7z (right click and save as) and unzip it in the root of your sdcard

4- copy /startup/blackstone.txt to the root of your sdcard and rename it startup.txt

5- Edit the startup.txt as u prefere (only if You know what You are doing, otherwise just leave it like You found it)

6- A new zimage avaiable here http://glemsom.anapnea.net/android/htc-msm-android/ (the one from Fri Nov 20 23:54:15 2009 +0100 ) unzip and put everything in the root of your sdcard rename the new zImage.20091120_235415 to zImage and u can delete the old modules-2.6.27-00593-g3890096.tar.gz

7- download http://www.cobaltcode.com/fileupload/data/Android/BuildUpdates/rootfs.img-15-11-09.7z unzip it and replace the old rootfs.img
This will fix the recharging problems

8- Go to Windows power settings and uncheck the "Auto adjust backlight" option.

9- Disable PIN on your Windows Mobile

10- run a file explorer and find in the root of your sdcard the file named Haret.exe and launch it

11- Test Android on your HD Blackstone and let us know every little thing to fix

You can contact the team or help us by joining #htc-linux on freenode irc network

Thanks to: phh, yeyoy, klinux, cr2, townkat, auss81, itchy8me and all the other people working on it on #htc-linux and of course You all testing and reporting :)

In this version:
--- Android 1.6
--- Accellerometer works
--- Bluetooth Works
--- Screen on/off works
--- Telephone, SMS system works (if your sms dont work try to read http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=433433 maybe u can fix it, anyway let us know if it works)
--- 3G works
--- Internet connection is finally fully controlled by Android and not from startup.txt so is supposed to be easier and working better
--- WiFi working (aparently only WPA2 is working propely)
--- Now power botton is "home botton" short press go to home, long press popup a menu of latest applications used
--- Recharging working

In the next release 3.5 jack entrance for normal Headphones will be fixed

Anyway phh give me the idea to "fix" the problem with turning on screen so hard and loong...

Is not really a fix but is a cheat

Download a terminal from the market or search for "Better Terminal" on google and copy the *.apk file u get into your sdcard in the directory /AndroidApps/ (if there's not that dir just create it) After booting u should find the application in your menu

type:

su
bash
echo 42 > /sys/power/wake_lock (remember to use the "spaces" between 42 and > and /sys...)
To revert the process just soft reset

this makes only the screen to sleep and not the system, makeing the screen faster to wake up, but it will affect your battery life.
It's your choice guys.

I hope we will fix it in next releases

For your knowledge you can visit and read http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=RaphaelDonut

If You like our work Donate Here (phh)

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

mitikos

Sep 24, 2008
Screenshots :)

Android1.png
Android2.png
Android3.png

Android4.png
Android5.png

Last edited:

mitikos

Sep 24, 2008
FAQ

Q: If I run Android on my phone, will it wipe out Windows and erase my own brain too? I don't want to forget my mother's name.
A: No. Just soft-reset your device and you will get back to good ol' WinMo.

Q: So I can try out Android with no consequence at all?
A: Not exactly. There is a slight risk that your camera and/or your volume buttons stop working. A hard-reset will fix this anyway.

Q: My phone is stuck at boot, displaying "Waiting for SD Card". Should I commit suicide?
A: No son, just get out of your room and go buy yourself a Class 2 SD Card. Most Class 6 cards have been reported not to work.

Q: It boots! But I can't find a way to enter my SIM unlock code! What's wrong with my life?
A: Just boot Windows and disable the SIM lock. It doesn't work in Android, yet.

Q: My camera flash isn't working anymore
A: Ok, that was a joke. Got it.

Q: My battery lasts 15 seconds.
A: This is an early development stage, so the system is not really optimized for battery life. Uncheck auto-dimming in Windows and install toggledata in Android to save some power. Or keep the darn thing plugged to USB, for crying out loud.

Q: How can I setup my APN?
A: Go to Settings - Wireless controls - Mobile networks - Access Point Names; tap on your home button and on New APN.

Q: I set my APN but it doesn't connect! How can I live with the burden of this endless pain?
A: Reboot and restart Haret. Or try and fondle with the airplane mode, sometimes it works.

Q: I can receive SMS messages but I cannot send any.
A: Known issue, it may be network related. Try this workaround http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=433433 . Guy who posts this for the 10000th time doesn't win any prize.

Q: I can receive SMS messages but I cannot send any.
A: I said...

Q: I enabled WIFI but it's not connecting.
A: Try rebooting again. Also, it's been widely reported that it won't work on WEP protected networks, switching to WPA2 could solve the problem.

Q: When my phone goes to sleep mode there seems to be no way to bring it up again. Is it dead?
A: Press the power button. Again. And again. And again andagain andaggggain. Be patient, it will come up eventually.

Q: Android 2.0 is out!
A: We KNOW. Listen and repeat. WE KNOW. But devs are working on 1.6 for now, and getting that to fully work is their goal at the moment.

Q: Why can't we have the Hero skin on our device?
A: This is not really related to making Android work on the HD but anyway... that UI is designed for lower resolution phones. Go on a general Android forum for this kind of things.

Q: Is it gonna rain today?
A: I have to admit it's quite cloudy.

Last edited:

pbotloh

Nov 2, 2007
cobalt file

High, like to test, loved the tux version.
But when i try to download the cobalt file there is only a lot of text but no file to download, is it corrupted or is ther an other way to get it.
Hope you can help me

mitikos

Sep 24, 2008
High, like to test, loved the tux version.
But when i try to download the cobalt file there is only a lot of text but no file to download, is it corrupted or is ther an other way to get it.
Hope you can help me

Right click and "save as..." option

Now i edit the first post

Bl@ck

Nov 6, 2008
Rome
mitikos i've built a .zip with tuxfiles and phh kernel/donut with startup.txt already fixed for blackstone, uploading right now :) so we have a complete package with everything we need.
If anyone can download it and make a mirror that'll be great, oh and maybe give it a try so we're sure it works, on my phone is working great.

auss81

Dec 28, 2008
Brolo (ME)
Partial test: this relese is more stable, smoother, and more responsive than Tux' 0.2........

Now, finally, I can resume the LCD on by simply holding the power button......

Bluetooth is active now, but I not tested it yet

APN is now configurable without modifing the startup file, but at the moment I'm not able to start a data session...... maybe my operator WIND?

Screen rotation is fully active but not for the home.

Wifi not yet tested, but I know is still in development.

:D

Bl@ck

Nov 6, 2008
Rome
auss81 for me wind italy connection is working, just create a new apn in the wireless config and put internet.wind as apn, but i've configured it also in the startup.txt, have to try w/o it.

ultravox

Oct 30, 2006
mitikos i've built a .zip with tuxfiles and phh kernel/donut with startup.txt already fixed for blackstone, uploading right now :) so we have a complete package with everything we need.
If anyone can download it and make a mirror that'll be great, oh and maybe give it a try so we're sure it works, on my phone is working great.

Great work. I was going to make that suggestion.
It's way better to have the same starting package in order to test and check possible issues.

wvernon

Feb 1, 2009
anyone else getting random lockups?

I'm also having problems with turning the screen on again after changed the end button behaviour to make the device sleep. Only a soft reset makes it usable.

Otherwise this is a huge step forward in terms of functionality. Good work to all those involved

mitikos

Sep 24, 2008

That's great and make all more simple. Give me the addres and i put it on the first page.
Anyway a new version is coming next week i think, than You will have to update the link

mitikos

Sep 24, 2008
anyone else getting random lockups?

I'm also having problems with turning the screen on again after changed the end button behaviour to make the device sleep. Only a soft reset makes it usable.

Otherwise this is a huge step forward in terms of functionality. Good work to all those involved

Yes i know the turning on screen sometimes is laggy, but is just couse the phone goes in deep sleep, so u hqave to press the bottons many times to weak it up. We will fix it in the newer versions for sure. You dont need to soft reset, just be patient, press the bottons and he's coming back for sure.

Top Liked Posts