[Q] Advice on setup for elderly parents and usa based data plan!!

Search This thread

lindadhnorman

May 10, 2014
(double posted this to try and get help as quick as possible since the phone needs to ship out ASAP)

Hi everyone. I'm an American living in Sweden. I have a unlocked galaxy note 3 that I am going to send my TECHNOPHOBIA suffering mother so she van video chat and see my newborn son for the first time live instead of in snail mailed pictures. She has agreed to try her best to learn because after 4 years of us not seeing each other she is willing to the anything

so here is the advice I need.

Best way to *safety proof* (don't want to call my mom a idiot) the phone.

A way for me to remotely restore the phone to MY settings when she accidentally messes something up and calls me freaking out.

Advice on a service plan. I have good credit in the usa and a social security number. she lives in 70647 Iowa, Louisiana. w
We would like to be able to video chat on skype on demand. But she will not be streaming video or downloading anything but content from dropbox. I would love if there was the option for her to be able to send an sms/mms to my mobile in sweden.

I would like yo put the phone in some *easy* setup. similar to the one included in 4.4.2 BUT my mother will only be using the phone for a few things. Skype facebook and dropbox. Also receiving sms/mms from me only. I would like her to have the ability to call our foreign cellphone numbers though in case of an emergency.

The phone is already rooted and updated to samsung version of 4.4.2. I would happily use another ROM if someone can recommend one that would best suit my needs.

I have a windows desktop running win 7 and an extra note 3 that I will be keeping here to use as well.

Help a lady out please! I desperately want to see my momma.

4aces

Feb 16, 2010
(double posted this to try and get help as quick as possible since the phone needs to ship out ASAP)

Hi everyone. I'm an American living in Sweden. I have a unlocked galaxy note 3 that I am going to send my TECHNOPHOBIA suffering mother so she van video chat and see my newborn son for the first time live instead of in snail mailed pictures. She has agreed to try her best to learn because after 4 years of us not seeing each other she is willing to the anything

so here is the advice I need.

Best way to *safety proof* (don't want to call my mom a idiot) the phone.

A way for me to remotely restore the phone to MY settings when she accidentally messes something up and calls me freaking out.

Advice on a service plan. I have good credit in the usa and a social security number. she lives in 70647 Iowa, Louisiana. w
We would like to be able to video chat on skype on demand. But she will not be streaming video or downloading anything but content from dropbox. I would love if there was the option for her to be able to send an sms/mms to my mobile in sweden.

I would like yo put the phone in some *easy* setup. similar to the one included in 4.4.2 BUT my mother will only be using the phone for a few things. Skype facebook and dropbox. Also receiving sms/mms from me only. I would like her to have the ability to call our foreign cellphone numbers though in case of an emergency.

The phone is already rooted and updated to samsung version of 4.4.2. I would happily use another ROM if someone can recommend one that would best suit my needs.

I have a windows desktop running win 7 and an extra note 3 that I will be keeping here to use as well.

Help a lady out please! I desperately want to see my momma.
I saw different people using Android phones and have to say that especially Samsung phones are extremely difficult to use in terms of responsiveness and features. I haven't seen any rom which is "easier" to use than the build in easy mode. We gave our grandparents and parents an iPhone and ipad since they are easier to use. Coming from an Android fanatic.

lindadhnorman

May 10, 2014
I saw different people using Android phones and have to say that especially Samsung phones are extremely difficult to use in terms of responsiveness and features. I haven't seen any rom which is "easier" to use than the build in easy mode. We gave our grandparents and parents an iPhone and ipad since they are easier to use. Coming from an Android fanatic.

:( I'm pretty much stuck with the galaxy note 3 for her a phone. I am trying out Big Launcher right now. I LOVE the 'Easy Touch Wizzard' except that I wish you could edit the main screen's applications. And Big Launcher is nice but I wish you could have slightly smaller icons so I could fit everything in one screen. *sighs* I need to learn to program.

Can anyone recommend any data programs that are great for mostly video calling on skype (or hangouts/chat on since they are both note 3 phones)? Would love if they had some intentional sms options as well.

4aces

Feb 16, 2010
:( I'm pretty much stuck with the galaxy note 3 for her a phone. I am trying out Big Launcher right now. I LOVE the 'Easy Touch Wizzard' except that I wish you could edit the main screen's applications. And Big Launcher is nice but I wish you could have slightly smaller icons so I could fit everything in one screen. *sighs* I need to learn to program.

Can anyone recommend any data programs that are great for mostly video calling on skype (or hangouts/chat on since they are both note 3 phones)? Would love if they had some intentional sms options as well.
US data programs? I used to have cricket in CA which is kinda less expansive. If your mom has a cellular plan I would ask if there is any combination possible. Are u looking for a cheap or very good data plan?
And sorry I completely forgot to mention launchers; )

lindadhnorman

May 10, 2014
US data programs? I used to have cricket in CA which is kinda less expansive. If your mom has a cellular plan I would ask if there is any combination possible. Are u looking for a cheap or very good data plan?
And sorry I completely forgot to mention launchers; )

I'm looking for VERY good. And It needs to be on AT&T or T-mobile to get the best coverage, as well at LTE (verified with IMEI, and LTE bands).

I am willing to sign a contract OR to get prepaid, as long as I can pay it online with a VISA, or Mastercard. My mom's current phone is one of those elderly social security phones. Basically only for receiving calls, OR emergencies. So there is no option for data.

4aces

Feb 16, 2010
I'm looking for VERY good. And It needs to be on AT&T or T-mobile to get the best coverage, as well at LTE (verified with IMEI, and LTE bands).

I am willing to sign a contract OR to get prepaid, as long as I can pay it online with a VISA, or Mastercard. My mom's current phone is one of those elderly social security phones. Basically only for receiving calls, OR emergencies. So there is no option for data.
For Skype calls u need a lot of gb. 8 gb on t-mobile go down pretty fast when u are video calling. If at&t or t-Mobile and the price doesn't matter go for at&t with 20 gb.
Doesn't your mom have wireless router? Would be a lot more convenient than a data plan on the cell phone.

lindadhnorman

May 10, 2014
Nope no access to Internet what so ever lol. She wouldn't know how to use one even if I could get one to her.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app