Can't get my new tf700t to root or install recovery.

Search This thread

benjmiester

Hey guys.

I just got a very nice condition used TF700T. I am trying to get recovery to install so I can flash a rom. I used the Transformer Toolkit to unlock it, which worked, it says device unlocked when booting.
But I absolutely cannot get it to Root, or flash recovery. If I try using debugfs root generic 2.3 it fails to write everything. If I try to flash any recovery with the toolkit it downloads and says flashing but just sits at about 25%, it boots my device into the screen that says usb fastboot mode with the three icons that say RCK Android and factory wipe. If I click the RCK it says rebooting and then goes to android mascot installing icon, but then the one with an X and error appears. What on earth am I doing wrong?
Is it the latest 4.2 update locking me out? Can I downgrade? I just can't get anything to root or flash recovery no matter what I do. I feel a little defeated being a long time member and 3 phone habitual rom flasher :crying:\

Any ideas what i'm missing?

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys.

I just got a very nice condition used TF700T. I am trying to get recovery to install so I can flash a rom. I used the Transformer Toolkit to unlock it, which worked, it says device unlocked when booting.
But I absolutely cannot get it to Root, or flash recovery. If I try using debugfs root generic 2.3 it fails to write everything. If I try to flash any recovery with the toolkit it downloads and says flashing but just sits at about 25%, it boots my device into the screen that says usb fastboot mode with the three icons that say RCK Android and factory wipe. If I click the RCK it says rebooting and then goes to android mascot installing icon, but then the one with an X and error appears. What on earth am I doing wrong?
Is it the latest 4.2 update locking me out? Can I downgrade? I just can't get anything to root or flash recovery no matter what I do. I feel a little defeated being a long time member and 3 phone habitual rom flasher :crying:\

What custom recovery are you installing? You may want to try with fastboot or adb method to flash your custom recovery which doesn't require rooted device, good luck....:)

Reactions: benjmiester

benjmiester

What custom recovery are you installing? You may want to try with fastboot or adb method to flash your custom recovery which doesn't require rooted device, good luck....:)

Well I tried TWRP 2.7.1.1 I believe and also CWM , and Phil's custom touch CWM that all three are options to flash with the all in one ADB Toolkit app via USB from windows (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2094746)
How do I do the Fastboot method? I read about that, but have no idea how the process goes. I'm ok with skipping root and going straight to recovery and a rom because I can just flash superuser after if the rom isn't rooted already.

benjmiester

Well I tried TWRP 2.7.1.1 I believe and also CWM , and Phil's custom touch CWM that all three are options to flash with the all in one ADB Toolkit app via USB from windows (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2094746)
How do I do the Fastboot method? I read about that, but have no idea how the process goes. I'm ok with skipping root and going straight to recovery and a rom because I can just flash superuser after if the rom isn't rooted already.

I wanted to try an app I used to get twrp onto my LG G2 for the first time called "flashify" that worked like a charm. I just installed the app, downloaded the twrp file and flashed it then it reboots to recovery, but it requires root as far as I know. Does unlocking the boot loader allow things like this?

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I wanted to try an app I used to get twrp onto my LG G2 for the first time called "flashify" that worked like a charm. I just installed the app, downloaded the twrp file and flashed it then it reboots to recovery, but it requires root as far as I know. Does unlocking the boot loader allow things like this?

Unlocked bootloader is allowed you to install the custom recovery so you can install the custom ROM, I believed.....:D You can check this guide out to see if you can setup your fastboot/adb. It is very easy to follow for the beginners, good luck....:fingers-crossed:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688891

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Once you unlocked the bootloader you can flash a custom recovery and after that - the sky's the limit.
Flashify works great, and it is a wonderful tool as long as you're able to boot into Android.
My problem with Flashify and Goomanager and TwrpManger is that it saves users from setting up a proper ADB/fastboot connection from PC to tablet.
As long as you can boot Android, these apps are great. But what if you can't? Once the tablet doesn't boot it's so much harder (and often too late) to get the correct drivers installed for ADB and fastboot.
So if you flash your recovery with any of those apps still make sure you have access with ADB and fastboot from your PC.
You will regret it if you don't - I (almost) guarantee it.

benjmiester

That's an excellent point. Thanks. I did actually get the Fastboot method to work. The problem was that I kept clicking into RCK recovery when I ws supposed to just leave it on that screen to push twrp instead. I got recover and just got done doing a backup. I'm about the flash my first rom (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2672751). Do we need to do factory reset / wipe data/system etc? The instructions on the ROM post say to just flash it from twrp so I'm guessing it has a built in wipe feature during install?

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
That's an excellent point. Thanks. I did actually get the Fastboot method to work. The problem was that I kept clicking into RCK recovery when I ws supposed to just leave it on that screen to push twrp instead. I got recover and just got done doing a backup. I'm about the flash my first rom (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2672751). Do we need to do factory reset / wipe data/system etc? The instructions on the ROM post say to just flash it from twrp so I'm guessing it has a built in wipe feature during install?
The instructions in the OP actually say that you have to do a full wipe (Factory Wipe) in TWRP coming from a different rom base. Which would be you unless you had a version of CROMBi-KK installed prior to this.
It's the default selection under the Wipe menu in TWRP. Just do that and then flash the rom and your ok.
Do not use the Factory Reset option from Settings or the Wipe Data option from the BL menu! Do this in TWRP only!

Last edited:

benjmiester

Cool thanks. I figured so because that's the norm with roms on all my phones. Thanks a lot for the help guys. So happy to be get KK running on my new toy!

Just wanted to update. KK 4.4.3 rom flashed and booted in. It's much nicer. The stock was a little laggy, and KK breathed a lot of new life into my ancient single core 1.0 ghz Galaxy S that I use as a music player so I figured it would help make the tab real nice and snappy too. Gotta go now, much fun to be had!! :D :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys.

Unlocked bootloader is allowed you to install the custom recovery so you can install the custom ROM, I believed.....:D You can check this guide out to see if you can setup your fastboot/adb. It is very easy to follow for the beginners, good luck....:fingers-crossed:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688891
    Once you unlocked the bootloader you can flash a custom recovery and after that - the sky's the limit.
    Flashify works great, and it is a wonderful tool as long as you're able to boot into Android.
    My problem with Flashify and Goomanager and TwrpManger is that it saves users from setting up a proper ADB/fastboot connection from PC to tablet.
    As long as you can boot Android, these apps are great. But what if you can't? Once the tablet doesn't boot it's so much harder (and often too late) to get the correct drivers installed for ADB and fastboot.
    So if you flash your recovery with any of those apps still make sure you have access with ADB and fastboot from your PC.
    You will regret it if you don't - I (almost) guarantee it.
    The instructions in the OP actually say that you have to do a full wipe (Factory Wipe) in TWRP coming from a different rom base. Which would be you unless you had a version of CROMBi-KK installed prior to this.
    It's the default selection under the Wipe menu in TWRP. Just do that and then flash the rom and your ok.
    Do not use the Factory Reset option from Settings or the Wipe Data option from the BL menu! Do this in TWRP only!