[TOOL] HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Live CD (or USB) - Free Your Phone. S-OFF.

Search This thread

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
Hello everyone. This is a breakoff from Unknownforce's HBOOT 1.50 to 1.40 downgrade thread. I created a Live CD to help make the downgrade process a bit easier.

Just a little housekeeping before we start:

Please! If you have a question, do not post it in both downgrade threads. Doing so makes it hard to follow what you've already done. Many people frequently visit both threads and will see your question. Thank you for your cooperation.

All credit goes to Unknownforce for making it possible to downgrade the EVO 3D. I take absolutely no credit for the downgrade method. My aim in creating the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit was to make Unknownforce's downgrade method as easy and painless as possible. Thank you to him and everybody else listed below. :)

See post #3 for:
- Full Step-by-step directions
- Bootable USB flash drive instructions
- Other useful resources (How to burn an ISO to a CD)

Important! Please Read this!
- This is for CDMA phones only! DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU HAVE A GSM EVO 3D!
- Test that your computer will boot the Toolkit before Bricking! Use the 'Check device status' function in the Toolkit to see if your phone is being recognized (USB debugging must be enabled on your phone (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging).
See Unknownforce's thread for bricking instructions.
- Do not do this if you already have S-OFF! If you aren't sure whether your already S-OFF, boot into the bootloader on your phone (Power off -> Hold down 'Volume Down (-)' and the power button). If you see S-ON, you're fine. If you have any questions, feel free to post them inside the thread.
- Charge up your battery - know that you have at least a decent (even 50 or 60%) amount of battery power going in. It will save you a lot of frustration later.
- If you are flashed to a different carrier: you must keep a record of the settings for your phone, as they will be wiped when you do this process.

Again. This is less scary than it sounds! I promise. :)

LATEST VERSION (STABLE): (should work perfectly when burned to a CD; if a USB flash drive is used, follow the NEW instructions in the second post to make the drive bootable)
Version 0.8.2
Download
- Device Test now properly states how to start the test
- Device Test does a Fastboot test, and an optional ADB test
- Help option gives a brief overview of the Downgrade process
- Some more information given before doing tests
- Downgrade will no longer snap back to the main menu after finishing

MD5 Checksum: c6b6889c7f12681621feaec26580f695

PREVIOUS STABLE VERSION: (should work perfectly when burned to a CD; if a USB flash drive is used, follow the NEW instructions in the second post to make the drive bootable)
Version 0.7.0
Download - Thanks WTLORd!
Mirror - Thanks notsointeresting! (+d-h.st)
Mirror #2 - Thanks disturb3d1/wwjoshdew!

* Run Revolutionary from the Toolkit (Beta code required)
* HTCDev Relock support integrated
* Flash either ClockworkMod 5.0.1.0 or 4.0.1.4
- Menu has been cleaned up (cleared up some wording as well)
- Fixed bug with shutdown not being allowed in some cases

I encourage you to try it and please let me know how it runs! Thanks everyone!
MD5 Checksum: c69c796c13a39b589d28a6ebe26b18d2

Thanks to
Unknownforce for bringing us the EVO 3D downgrade method.
notsointeresting and WTLORd for mirroring these downloads.
Mpgrimm2 for his awesome advise and assistance!
lowetax for kindly helping with the downgrade inside and out of the thread.
madmaxx82 for permitting me to bundle 4EXT Recovery
ClockworkMod
The Core Project (Tiny Core)
Personal thank you to the Revolutionary Team
Thanks to everyone who tested the CD and reported their findings.
If I forgot someone, please PM me, and I'll add you to the list.
I will also quote Unknownforce's thank you list, as I'm pretty sure that most of the programs in the downgrade CD method have some relation to them.
MOVZX, RussianBear, Fuses, Dexter93, TrevE, Crackanug, USSENTERNCC1701E, jcase, The entire Revolutionary team

Questions
What is this?
This is a Live-Bootable Linux-based CD that attempts automates many of the steps that are required for the downgrade process. It's designed to make the task less daunting to users unfamiliar with Linux. It does not install anything onto your computer, and contains the drivers right inside of it.

Is there risk involved?
I won't lie. There is a small amount of risk using this. Then again, there is a small amount of risk with almost everything you do with your phone. There's even some risk in the HTCDev method. Doing this is a lot less scary than it sounds. Many people have used this method, and many have used the Toolkit to simplify the process. If you have questions, you may always post them inside the thread.

Is this a one-click method?
No. Not quite. It will still require you to use short commands.

Will I still have to work in a Terminal?
Yes... But don't leave yet. Most of the processes are done for you, and require entering a single letter to run a process.

Should I backup my phone before doing this?
Yes. Whenever doing something like this, you should always make backups! Also, this method will require you to flash a RUU after you are done downgrading and doing the Revolutionary S-OFF. You WILL lose all data on your phone (not SD Card) when applying the 1.13 RUU.

How do I know that my phone is bricked?
If the screen powers on and displays anything at all, it is not bricked.

I'm unlocked using the HTCDev method. Do I have to do anything different?
You will have to lock your bootloader before starting. Since you likely already have the benefit of backing up, do that before locking. Lock your device by using the HTCDev Relock feature in the Toolkit, or the command: fastboot oem lock while in the bootloader (Fastboot-USB mode) on your phone. If you are running a custom ROM, there is a chance that your phone will reboot and give you a Security Warning. You will have to apply a stock 2.08 or 2.17 RUU before proceeding. Get the 2.17 RUU from here, rename it to PG86IMG.zip (If file extensions (.zip, .doc, .mp3) are set not to show in Windows, just rename the file 'PG86IMG'.) and place it on the root (main directory) of your SD Card. Boot up your phone and run the RUU all the way through. Remember, running this RUU will erase all data on your phone (not SD-Card though). Now, continue as if you hadn't taken the HTCDev Unlock.

The HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Live CD is a bootable version of Linux (don't worry! :) ) that simplifies a lot of the process of Downgrading your HBOOT from 1.5 to 1.4.

Old Versions.
0.8.0t - Download
0.6.5s - Download - Thanks WTLORd!
Mirror - Thank you notsointeresting!
0.2.2 - 0.5.1 - Download - Legacy

Support
Please make sure to keep this thread limited to questions and comments on the live CD. For support with the Downgrade method, it's probably best to keep discussion in Unknownforce's thread. I will try my best to support the CD, but I cannot guarentee that I will be able to continue to answer questions about the CD.

Changelog
Code:
0.8.2 - Device Test now properly states how to start the test
0.8.0t* Fix error with messages flooding the screen on some hardware
      * Fix error with hardware not working too nicely with USB
      - No other changes
      - Same version number cosmetically (forgot to change it before building)
      - MD5 Checksum: 0246fe0f8a80197bc1e63599eeda83ee
0.8.0 - Rebuilt (again) from the ground up
      - New menu-driven interface
      - 4EXT Recovery now included (Thanks madmaxx82)
      - Usability fixes
      - Broadened device test
      - Boot directly into the bootloader
      - Easily exit utilities without rebooting
      - More instruction while using
      - Built off of Micro Core
      - MD5 Checksum: 9e0b883f013ab8db46101663dc188cdb
0.7.0 - Run Revolutionary from the Toolkit ([URL="http://www.revolutionary.io"]Beta code required[/URL])
      - HTCDev Relock support integrated
      - Flash either ClockworkMod 5.0.1.0 or 4.0.1.4
      - MD5 Checksum: c69c796c13a39b589d28a6ebe26b18d2
0.6.5s- It's been (pretty much) rebuilt from the ground up (new Base OS - TinyCore Linux)
      - It's 93% smaller than the previous version of the Toolkit Live CD.
      - It's a lot faster booting up.
      - Should only require about <128MB of RAM, and <500MHz Processor.
      - It's text based only, but that's okay (trust me). It boots; press 'd' to downgrade. That's it.
      - I have integrated the ability to Flash ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0.
      - MD5 Checksum: 4884fbcd21e37e7cd3f1ea2f7ddef8da
0.5.1 - No longer need to do step 1 - Type 'downgrade' into the Terminal to do the downgrade. You no longer
        need to flash an RUU at the beginning, or temp root.
      - MD5 Checksum: 5014B2E79B834173887941C5BE71E7A3
0.4.1 - New version of emmc_recover - No need to open four terminal windows anymore! - Thanks Unknownforce!
      - MD5 Checksum: f6be045551ed18c6c22912a6e46f1cd6
0.3.4 - zergRush Temp Rooting
      - Mainver version change and verification
      - Start command that lists the names of all commands available to the user.
      - Step Three HBOOT flash for partitions sdb13, sdc13, sdd13, sde13.
      - MD5 Checksum: 03eac19c68672f3334526580ac91d5bb
0.2.2 - Step Three HBOOT flash for partitions sdb13, sdc13, sdd13, sde13.
      - MD5 Checksum: 40c1de37fd66f0348770f2a7a53d0998

If ClockworkMod or the Revolutionary Team wants me to remove their software (ClockworkMod Recovery and Revolutionary, respectively) from the toolkit, I will comply with that request.

Obligatory Disclaimer - This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. You take full responsibility for the usage of the software. I am not liable for anything that goes wrong with this Live CD, including, but not limited to, "bricked" (otherwise unusable) phones, or anything else that happens to your phone(s), computer(s), or anything else. You take full responsibility for your use of these tools.

Last edited:

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
Table of Contents (for this post)
Step By Step How-to Downgrade With the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit
Burning the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit to a CD
How to run the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit from a Flash Drive
Preparing to run Revolutionary
OLD VERSION - Step By Step How-to Downgrade With the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit - OLD VERSION
Resources

Updated for the new version! 0.8.0+

Test that your computer will boot the Toolkit before Bricking! Use the 'Check device status' function in the Toolkit to see if your phone is being recognized (Power the phone off completely. May require you to pull the battery and put it back in. Plug the phone into the computer).

Please follow the steps as closely as possible! Even if a step seems redundant or unnecessary, there's a reason that you are doing it. If you have any questions about the guide, please feel free to ask in the thread.

Read the Important Information section in the first post (at the very least) before starting!

1. Download 2.17 RUU Zip, 1.13 RUU EXE, Latest Version of Boot CD
2. Backup your phone
3. Burn the CD or USB flash drive with the instructions below
4. Ensure that you can boot into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit before bricking!

--IF YOU ARE HTCDev UNLOCKED--
5. Reboot your computer into the Toolkit (CD/USB flash drive)
6. Power off your phone completely (you may have to pull the battery and put it back in after powering off)
7. Plug the phone into the computer without powering it on
8. Use the 'Bootloader' command. This should power back on the phone. (If not, Hold Vol - and press the power button) - Ensure that you are S-ON. (If you see the word 'FASTBOOT' highlighted in red, hit the power button)
9. If you are HTCDev Unlocked -> Run the 'Relock' command from the main menu.
10. Reboot your computer and continue.
-----

11. Copy 2.17 RUU to the SDCard. Make sure that it's named PG86IMG.zip.

--Bricking the phone (Temporarily)--
12. It's best if you read Unknownforce's instructions for bricking.

13. It's always best to check that you have bricked successfully to save yourself frustration later on.
14. > Put the battery back into the phone. Wait about 7-8 seconds.
15. > Press the power button. If charge light is solid-dim, or doesn't come on at all and the screen does not power on, you've successfully bricked the phone.
16. > If the charge light is blinking, (and/or the screen turns on), the phone isn't bricked. Keep on trying!
-----

17. Once the phone is in a bricked state, boot up into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit.
18. Leave the battery OUT OF your phone. Don't plug it in yet.
19. From the main menu, use the 'Downgrade' command.
20. Read the on-screen instructions carefully.
21. Press enter until you see the words "Waiting for device..."
22. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone in. (REMEMBER: No battery in phone)
23. Follow the on-screen instructions.
24. It should ask you to unplug the USB cable and press enter.
25. When you see the words "Waiting for device..." move on to the next step.
26. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone back in.
27. If it worked, then you have successfully downgraded your Bootloader. Put your battery back into your phone, Hold down Vol - and press power.
28. Now. Reboot into Windows and run the 1.13 RUU EXE that you downloaded.
29. When that's done, reboot back into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit.
30. Power back on phone into Android.
31. Run Revolutionary from the menu. You'll be required to input your beta code from the Revolutionary website.
32. You may need to let Revolutionary rerun several times.
33. When you see "-Revolutionary-" at the top of your bootloader, you have achieved Revolutionary S-OFF!
34. Flash Recovery from the main menu.
35. Remove the PG86IMG file from your SD Card! Do NOT let it run again!
36. Optional: Run the 2.17 Firmware Update ZIP from here. Place it on your SD Card just like the PG86IMG file that you used to brick the device with. Boot up into the bootloader and let this run all the way through. (Recommended)

WARNING: DO NOT BRICK YOUR DEVICE AGAIN AFTER GETTING S-OFF. THIS WILL PERMA-BRICK THE DEVICE. RECOVERING FROM THE CD WILL NOT WORK. THE PHONE WILL NOT GO INTO THE SAME RECOVERY DOWNLOAD MODE AS AN S-ON DEVICE WOULD.

IMPORTANT: If you decide to stay with the stock ROM, DO NOT EVER take OTA (Over-The-Air) updates! Taking one will likely put you back on HBOOT 1.50.

36. I recommend that you flash a custom ROM. If you want to stay on a (mostly) stock ROM, I would recommend that you flash one of Mr.Esp's Stock Rooted ROMs. They will not "upgrade" your bootloader to HBOOT 1.50.
37. After you have done that, go ahead and make a Backup in your custom recovery.

After running Revolutionary, it is normal for your bootloader's version number to be 1.40.1100.

Have fun on HBOOT 1.40 S-OFF!

Windows Vista/7
1. Download the latest version of the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit from above.
2. Insert your CD-R
3. Navigate to the location of the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit on your hard drive.
4. Right-click on the .iso file. Hover over 'Open with' and select 'Windows Disc Image Burner'
5. Select your CD burner from the drop-down menu
6. (recommended) Tick 'Verify disc after burning'
7. Click Burn

Other Windows Method
PoorCollegeGuy's guide to Burning an ISO to a CD

Mac OS X - Thanks MikeC84!
Open disk utility, drag the ISO to disk utility. Make sure "make disk bootable" is checked, Click burn....

Check out lpjzfan2005's Mac OS X tutorial for running the CD!

Note: Mac support is limited. It's been confirmed the CD will run on a Mac though.

I've realized that there is enough demand for being able to run the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit from something other than a CD-ROM drive.
Thanks to Disturb3d1/wwjoshdew and Mpgrimm2 for the suggestion!
Instructions for 0.6.5s or Higher

What you'll need:
A 256MB USB Flash Drive (Almost any flash drive you have laying around)
HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit ISO 0.6.5s or Higher (Above)
Core2USB

Step 1. Simply download Core2USB from here.
Step 2. Choose your USB Flash Drive and format it (This will delete all files from it, so back them up).
Step 3. Run the Core2USB software. It won't install anything on your computer.
Step 4. Browse to the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit ISO.
Step 5. Double-click on the letter of your USB Flash Drive. Make sure that this is the correct drive.
Step 6. Click Install
Step 7. Reboot your computer with the USB Flash Drive inserted, and follow the onscreen instructions to downgrade your HBOOT.

Don't pull the flash drive out while you are booted into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Environment!

If you plan to run Revolutionary from the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit, follow these directions to get started.

Head over to the Revolutionary website.

Under the heading 'Downloads,' click 'Download for Linux.' Cancel out the download.

Set the dropdown menus as follows:
Your operating system: Linux
Your device: HTC Evo 3D CDMA
HBOOT version: 1.40.0000
Serial number: [YOURPHONESSERIAL] (and yes, it has to be correct. Revolutionary will not without the key corresponding to your phone's serial number)

Click 'Generate key.' Make note of the key for when your ready to run Revolutionary (remember: the key is case sensitive).

OLD VERSION - Step By Step How-to Downgrade With the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit - OLD VERSION
Test that your computer will boot the Toolkit before Bricking! Use the 'Check device status' function in the Toolkit to see if your phone is being recognized (USB debugging must be enabled on your phone (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging).

Please follow the steps as closely as possible! Even if a step seems redundant or unnecessary, there's a reason that you are doing it. If you have any questions about the guide, please feel free to ask in the thread.

2. Backup your phone
3. If you are HTCDev Unlocked -> Read Instructions in FAQ above
4. Boot into your bootloader (Power off your phone -> Hold Vol - and press Power button)
5. If you get a Security Warning or you were HTCDev Unlocked, Power off your phone. Put SD Card into your computer. Skip to step 12 if this doesn't apply to you.
6. Copy 2.17 RUU to SDCard. Make sure that it's named PG86IMG.zip.
7. Power on the phone by pressing Vol - and Power. (If you see the word 'FASTBOOT' highlighted in red, hit the power button)
8. The Bootloader should should start checking the File.
9. After it finishes checking. Press the Vol + button to flash the image.
10. Let it flash all the way.
11. Once done, reboot back into the Bootloader.
12. Run the 2.17 RUU again, except this is where you will brick the phone (on purpose) -> It's best if you read Unknownforce's instructions for bricking.
13. Once the phone is in a bricked state, boot up into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit.
14. Leave the battery out of your phone. Don't plug it in yet.
15. From the main menu, type 'd' and press enter.
16. Read the instructions on the screen carefully.
17. Press enter until you see the words "Waiting for device..."
18. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone in.
19. Follow the on-screen instructions.
20. It should ask you to unplug the USB cable and press enter.
21. When you see the words "Waiting for device..." move on to the next step.
22. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone back in.
23. If it worked, then you have successfully downgraded your Bootloader, if it didn't, put your battery back into your phone, and press power. If the phone powers on, go back to step 12. The phone wasn't bricked.
24. Now. Reboot into Windows and run the 1.13 RUU EXE that you downloaded.
25. When that's done, reboot back into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit and power on your phone.
26. Run Revolutionary from the menu. You'll be required to input your beta code from the Revolutionary website.
27. You may need to let Revolutionary rerun several times.
28. When you see "-Revolutionary-" at the top of your bootloader, you have achieved Revolutionary S-OFF!

29. Make sure to flash a custom recovery image onto your phone. You can flash ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.1.0 or 4.0.1.4 from the toolkit. You may also flash (Such as TWRP or Clockworkmod Recovery) using the command: fastboot flash recovery [NAMEOFRECOVERY].img

IMPORTANT: If you decide to stay with the stock ROM, DO NOT EVER take OTA (Over-The-Air) updates! Taking one will likely put you back on HBOOT 1.50.

30. I recommend that you flash a custom ROM. If you want to stay on a (mostly) stock ROM, I would recommend that you flash one of Mr.Esp's Stock Rooted ROMs. They will not "upgrade" your bootloader to HBOOT 1.50.
31. After you have done that, go ahead and make a Backup in your custom recovery.

After running Revolutionary, it is normal for your bootloader's version number to be 1.40.1100.

Resources
Unknownforce's [DOWNGRADE HBOOT/UNBRICK] HBOOT 1.50
PoorCollegeGuy's instructions for Burning an ISO to a CD
Mpgrimm2's list of 2.17 Links
Mpgrimm2's list of Stock & 2.17 ROMs
How To: Pull PG86IMG.zip from Evo3D RUU.exe (Mpgrimm2)
lpjzfan2005's Live CD Mac OS X tutorial
joefanelli's Using a FLASH phone? (Read this if you are flashed to a different carrier!)

Last edited:

EGOvoruhk

Mar 1, 2007
PLEASE do not ask about them. I am not asking for them. If the CD worked. Just let me know! If you wish to donate, please send a donation to the guy who actually spent his time working to come up with the method. If it wasn't for Unknownforce, I wouldn't be posting this CD.

Just take the money! If it wasn't for Fuses, Unknownforce wouldn't have his method. Now if it wasn't for you, some people wouldn't have 1.4 ;)

But seriously, good job

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So I haven't even finished Downloading them, let alone uploading them but when they are done they will be HERE
I say give it 30 minutes and the first iso will be up their, I will post when it's done

(Don't worry I pay for Mediafire Pro so their shouldn't be a problem)

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
Just take the money! If it wasn't for Fuses, Unknownforce wouldn't have his method. Now if it wasn't for you, some people wouldn't have 1.4 ;)

But seriously, good job

Thanks EGOvoruhk. I'd have to think about it. The last thing I want to do is have anyone angry at me. I want to stay on as many people's good sides as possible, and that includes Unknownforce's as well. :)

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
So I haven't even finished Downloading them, let alone uploading them but when they are done they will be HERE
I say give it 30 minutes and the first iso will be up their, I will post when it's done

(Don't worry I pay for Mediafire Pro so their shouldn't be a problem)

Thanks again notsointeresting!

This looks very promising. Good work!

Once I can get people to verify that this works without fault mind if I post this on my site?

Thanks JJsax. If you go into Unknownforce's thread, there are quite a few success stories from the 0.2.2 version of the CD. But, absolutely, I'd be honored. :)

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
Perfect. I will get started on the post tonight. Will probably go live tomorrow. I lost track of the downgrade thread. It's hard to get caught back up when you're 20+ pages behind LOL.
Thanks. I will still need a few people to test the new version though. I can't guarantee that it's working fully. Old version is going strong as far as I'm concerned. :)

Reactions: funkym0nk3y

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
NICE! This is awesome. I'm sure someone will come up with a one click though.

Most likely not. It requires you at least boot into Linux after finished changing your mainver in windows so you can't have a full one click, plus the whole part about bricking your device can't be one clicked you have to Pull the AC power on your phone at the exact right time to brick .
And the Linux step requires you to pull the plug on phone at the right time.

So a one click won't happen. They can only make it slightly easier.
Although its not hard at all.:D

closeone

Jan 11, 2012
since zergRoot supports 2.08 ruu i would have to convert from 2.17 since tacoroot isnt in the new release

dadda, at this moment, your best bet would be to do Tacoroot in Windows. I'm sorry. I'm looking into it.

NICE! This is awesome. I'm sure someone will come up with a one click though.

Thanks! Understandable. But until then, the Boot CD is out, and will hopefully be helpful to anyone who's nervous working in a Terminal. :)

Edit: Thank you for mirroring the file too! :)
Double Edit: I just checked the link, because the link goes to a site you have to register for, I'm pretty sure I can't put that in the original post per xda rules. I'm sorry. :eek:

Last edited:

motoelliot

Nov 23, 2010
Great job man! I know a lot of ppl needed this, great to see things moving forward...

Sent from 3D A.W.E.S.O.M-O

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. This is a breakoff from Unknownforce's HBOOT 1.50 to 1.40 downgrade thread. I created a Live CD to help make the downgrade process a bit easier.

Just a little housekeeping before we start:

Please! If you have a question, do not post it in both downgrade threads. Doing so makes it hard to follow what you've already done. Many people frequently visit both threads and will see your question. Thank you for your cooperation.

All credit goes to Unknownforce for making it possible to downgrade the EVO 3D. I take absolutely no credit for the downgrade method. My aim in creating the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit was to make Unknownforce's downgrade method as easy and painless as possible. Thank you to him and everybody else listed below. :)

See post #3 for:
    - Full Step-by-step directions
    - Bootable USB flash drive instructions
    - Other useful resources (How to burn an ISO to a CD)

Important! Please Read this!
    - This is for CDMA phones only! DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU HAVE A GSM EVO 3D!
    - Test that your computer will boot the Toolkit before Bricking! Use the 'Check device status' function in the Toolkit to see if your phone is being recognized (USB debugging must be enabled on your phone (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging).
    See Unknownforce's thread for bricking instructions.
    - Do not do this if you already have S-OFF! If you aren't sure whether your already S-OFF, boot into the bootloader on your phone (Power off -> Hold down 'Volume Down (-)' and the power button). If you see S-ON, you're fine. If you have any questions, feel free to post them inside the thread.
    - Charge up your battery - know that you have at least a decent (even 50 or 60%) amount of battery power going in. It will save you a lot of frustration later.
    - If you are flashed to a different carrier: you must keep a record of the settings for your phone, as they will be wiped when you do this process.

Again. This is less scary than it sounds! I promise. :)

LATEST VERSION (STABLE): (should work perfectly when burned to a CD; if a USB flash drive is used, follow the NEW instructions in the second post to make the drive bootable)
    Version 0.8.2
    Download
    - Device Test now properly states how to start the test

MD5 Checksum: c6b6889c7f12681621feaec26580f695

PREVIOUS STABLE VERSION: (should work perfectly when burned to a CD; if a USB flash drive is used, follow the NEW instructions in the second post to make the drive bootable)
    Version 0.7.0
    Download - Thanks WTLORd!
    Mirror - Thanks notsointeresting! (+d-h.st)
    Mirror #2 - Thanks disturb3d1/wwjoshdew!

* Run Revolutionary from the Toolkit (Beta code required)
    * HTCDev Relock support integrated
    * Flash either ClockworkMod 5.0.1.0 or 4.0.1.4

I encourage you to try it and please let me know how it runs! Thanks everyone!
    MD5 Checksum: c69c796c13a39b589d28a6ebe26b18d2

Thanks to
    Unknownforce for bringing us the EVO 3D downgrade method.
    notsointeresting and WTLORd for mirroring these downloads.
    Mpgrimm2 for his awesome advise and assistance!
    lowetax for kindly helping with the downgrade inside and out of the thread.
    madmaxx82 for permitting me to bundle 4EXT Recovery
    ClockworkMod
    The Core Project (Tiny Core)
    Personal thank you to the Revolutionary Team
    Thanks to everyone who tested the CD and reported their findings.
    If I forgot someone, please PM me, and I'll add you to the list.
    I will also quote Unknownforce's thank you list, as I'm pretty sure that most of the programs in the downgrade CD method have some relation to them.
    MOVZX, RussianBear, Fuses, Dexter93, TrevE, Crackanug, USSENTERNCC1701E, jcase, The entire Revolutionary team

Questions
    What is this?
    This is a Live-Bootable Linux-based CD that attempts automates many of the steps that are required for the downgrade process. It's designed to make the task less daunting to users unfamiliar with Linux. It does not install anything onto your computer, and contains the drivers right inside of it.

Is there risk involved?
    I won't lie. There is a small amount of risk using this. Then again, there is a small amount of risk with almost everything you do with your phone. There's even some risk in the HTCDev method. Doing this is a lot less scary than it sounds. Many people have used this method, and many have used the Toolkit to simplify the process. If you have questions, you may always post them inside the thread.

Is this a one-click method?
    No. Not quite. It will still require you to use short commands.

Will I still have to work in a Terminal?
    Yes... But don't leave yet. Most of the processes are done for you, and require entering a single letter to run a process.

Should I backup my phone before doing this?
    Yes. Whenever doing something like this, you should always make backups! Also, this method will require you to flash a RUU after you are done downgrading and doing the Revolutionary S-OFF. You WILL lose all data on your phone (not SD Card) when applying the 1.13 RUU.

How do I know that my phone is bricked?
    If the screen powers on and displays anything at all, it is not bricked.

I'm unlocked using the HTCDev method. Do I have to do anything different?
    You will have to lock your bootloader before starting. Since you likely already have the benefit of backing up, do that before locking. Lock your device by using the HTCDev Relock feature in the Toolkit, or the command: fastboot oem lock while in the bootloader (Fastboot-USB mode) on your phone. If you are running a custom ROM, there is a chance that your phone will reboot and give you a Security Warning. You will have to apply a stock 2.08 or 2.17 RUU before proceeding. Get the 2.17 RUU from here, rename it to PG86IMG.zip (If file extensions (.zip, .doc, .mp3) are set not to show in Windows, just rename the file 'PG86IMG'.) and place it on the root (main directory) of your SD Card. Boot up your phone and run the RUU all the way through. Remember, running this RUU will erase all data on your phone (not SD-Card though). Now, continue as if you hadn't taken the HTCDev Unlock.

The HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Live CD is a bootable version of Linux (don't worry! :) ) that simplifies a lot of the process of Downgrading your HBOOT from 1.5 to 1.4.

Old Versions.
    0.8.0t - Download
    0.6.5s - Download - Thanks WTLORd!
    Mirror - Thank you notsointeresting!
    0.2.2 - 0.5.1 - Download - Legacy

Support
    Please make sure to keep this thread limited to questions and comments on the live CD. For support with the Downgrade method, it's probably best to keep discussion in Unknownforce's thread. I will try my best to support the CD, but I cannot guarentee that I will be able to continue to answer questions about the CD.

Changelog
    Code:
    0.8.2 - Device Test now properly states how to start the test
    0.8.0t* Fix error with messages flooding the screen on some hardware
          * Fix error with hardware not working too nicely with USB
          - No other changes
          - Same version number cosmetically (forgot to change it before building)
          - MD5 Checksum: 0246fe0f8a80197bc1e63599eeda83ee
    0.8.0 - Rebuilt (again) from the ground up
          - New menu-driven interface
          - 4EXT Recovery now included (Thanks madmaxx82)
          - Usability fixes
          - Broadened device test
          - Boot directly into the bootloader
          - Easily exit utilities without rebooting
          - More instruction while using
          - Built off of Micro Core
          - MD5 Checksum: 9e0b883f013ab8db46101663dc188cdb
    0.7.0 - Run Revolutionary from the Toolkit ([URL="http://www.revolutionary.io"]Beta code required[/URL])
          - HTCDev Relock support integrated
          - Flash either ClockworkMod 5.0.1.0 or 4.0.1.4
          - MD5 Checksum: c69c796c13a39b589d28a6ebe26b18d2
    0.6.5s- It's been (pretty much) rebuilt from the ground up (new Base OS - TinyCore Linux)
          - It's 93% smaller than the previous version of the Toolkit Live CD.
          - It's a lot faster booting up.
          - Should only require about <128MB of RAM, and <500MHz Processor.
          - It's text based only, but that's okay (trust me). It boots; press 'd' to downgrade. That's it.
          - I have integrated the ability to Flash ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0.
          - MD5 Checksum: 4884fbcd21e37e7cd3f1ea2f7ddef8da
    0.5.1 - No longer need to do step 1 - Type 'downgrade' into the Terminal to do the downgrade. You no longer
            need to flash an RUU at the beginning, or temp root.
          - MD5 Checksum: 5014B2E79B834173887941C5BE71E7A3
    0.4.1 - New version of emmc_recover - No need to open four terminal windows anymore! - Thanks Unknownforce!
          - MD5 Checksum: f6be045551ed18c6c22912a6e46f1cd6
    0.3.4 - zergRush Temp Rooting
          - Mainver version change and verification
          - Start command that lists the names of all commands available to the user.
          - Step Three HBOOT flash for partitions sdb13, sdc13, sdd13, sde13.
          - MD5 Checksum: 03eac19c68672f3334526580ac91d5bb
    0.2.2 - Step Three HBOOT flash for partitions sdb13, sdc13, sdd13, sde13.
          - MD5 Checksum: 40c1de37fd66f0348770f2a7a53d0998

If ClockworkMod or the Revolutionary Team wants me to remove their software (ClockworkMod Recovery and Revolutionary, respectively) from the toolkit, I will comply with that request.

Obligatory Disclaimer - This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. You take full responsibility for the usage of the software. I am not liable for anything that goes wrong with this Live CD, including, but not limited to, "bricked" (otherwise unusable) phones, or anything else that happens to your phone(s), computer(s), or anything else. You take full responsibility for your use of these tools.
    Table of Contents (for this post)
    Resources

Updated for the new version! 0.8.0+

Test that your computer will boot the Toolkit before Bricking! Use the 'Check device status' function in the Toolkit to see if your phone is being recognized (Power the phone off completely. May require you to pull the battery and put it back in. Plug the phone into the computer).

Read the Important Information section in the first post (at the very least) before starting!

2. Backup your phone
    3. Burn the CD or USB flash drive with the instructions below
    4. Ensure that you can boot into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit before bricking!

--IF YOU ARE HTCDev UNLOCKED--
    5. Reboot your computer into the Toolkit (CD/USB flash drive)
    6. Power off your phone completely (you may have to pull the battery and put it back in after powering off)
    7. Plug the phone into the computer without powering it on
    8. Use the 'Bootloader' command. This should power back on the phone. (If not, Hold Vol - and press the power button) - Ensure that you are S-ON. (If you see the word 'FASTBOOT' highlighted in red, hit the power button)
    9. If you are HTCDev Unlocked -> Run the 'Relock' command from the main menu.
    10. Reboot your computer and continue.
    -----

11. Copy 2.17 RUU to the SDCard. Make sure that it's named PG86IMG.zip.

--Bricking the phone (Temporarily)--
    12. It's best if you read Unknownforce's instructions for bricking.

13. It's always best to check that you have bricked successfully to save yourself frustration later on.
    14. > Put the battery back into the phone. Wait about 7-8 seconds.
    15. > Press the power button. If charge light is solid-dim, or doesn't come on at all and the screen does not power on, you've successfully bricked the phone.
    16. > If the charge light is blinking, (and/or the screen turns on), the phone isn't bricked. Keep on trying!
    -----

17. Once the phone is in a bricked state, boot up into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit.
    18. Leave the battery OUT OF your phone. Don't plug it in yet.
    19. From the main menu, use the 'Downgrade' command.
    20. Read the on-screen instructions carefully.
    21. Press enter until you see the words "Waiting for device..."
    22. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone in. (REMEMBER: No battery in phone)
    23. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    24. It should ask you to unplug the USB cable and press enter.
    25. When you see the words "Waiting for device..." move on to the next step.
    26. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone back in.
    27. If it worked, then you have successfully downgraded your Bootloader. Put your battery back into your phone, Hold down Vol - and press power.
    28. Now. Reboot into Windows and run the 1.13 RUU EXE that you downloaded.
    29. When that's done, reboot back into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit.
    30. Power back on phone into Android.
    31. Run Revolutionary from the menu. You'll be required to input your beta code from the Revolutionary website.
    32. You may need to let Revolutionary rerun several times.
    33. When you see "-Revolutionary-" at the top of your bootloader, you have achieved Revolutionary S-OFF!
    34. Flash Recovery from the main menu.
    35. Remove the PG86IMG file from your SD Card! Do NOT let it run again!
    36. Optional: Run the 2.17 Firmware Update ZIP from here. Place it on your SD Card just like the PG86IMG file that you used to brick the device with. Boot up into the bootloader and let this run all the way through. (Recommended)

WARNING: DO NOT BRICK YOUR DEVICE AGAIN AFTER GETTING S-OFF. THIS WILL PERMA-BRICK THE DEVICE. RECOVERING FROM THE CD WILL NOT WORK. THE PHONE WILL NOT GO INTO THE SAME RECOVERY DOWNLOAD MODE AS AN S-ON DEVICE WOULD.

36. I recommend that you flash a custom ROM. If you want to stay on a (mostly) stock ROM, I would recommend that you flash one of Mr.Esp's Stock Rooted ROMs. They will not "upgrade" your bootloader to HBOOT 1.50.
    37. After you have done that, go ahead and make a Backup in your custom recovery.

Windows Vista/7
    1. Download the latest version of the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit from above.
    2. Insert your CD-R
    3. Navigate to the location of the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit on your hard drive.
    4. Right-click on the .iso file. Hover over 'Open with' and select 'Windows Disc Image Burner'
    5. Select your CD burner from the drop-down menu
    6. (recommended) Tick 'Verify disc after burning'
    7. Click Burn

Other Windows Method
    PoorCollegeGuy's guide to Burning an ISO to a CD

Mac OS X - Thanks MikeC84!
    Open disk utility, drag the ISO to disk utility. Make sure "make disk bootable" is checked, Click burn....

Check out lpjzfan2005's Mac OS X tutorial for running the CD!

Note: Mac support is limited. It's been confirmed the CD will run on a Mac though.

I've realized that there is enough demand for being able to run the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit from something other than a CD-ROM drive.
    Thanks to Disturb3d1/wwjoshdew and Mpgrimm2 for the suggestion!
    Instructions for 0.6.5s or Higher

What you'll need:
    A 256MB USB Flash Drive (Almost any flash drive you have laying around)
    HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit ISO 0.6.5s or Higher (Above)
    Core2USB

Step 1. Simply download Core2USB from here.
    Step 2. Choose your USB Flash Drive and format it (This will delete all files from it, so back them up).
    Step 3. Run the Core2USB software. It won't install anything on your computer.
    Step 4. Browse to the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit ISO.
    Step 5. Double-click on the letter of your USB Flash Drive. Make sure that this is the correct drive.
    Step 6. Click Install
    Step 7. Reboot your computer with the USB Flash Drive inserted, and follow the onscreen instructions to downgrade your HBOOT.

Don't pull the flash drive out while you are booted into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Environment!

If you plan to run Revolutionary from the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit, follow these directions to get started.

Head over to the Revolutionary website.

Under the heading 'Downloads,' click 'Download for Linux.' Cancel out the download.

Set the dropdown menus as follows:
    Your operating system: Linux
    Your device: HTC Evo 3D CDMA
    HBOOT version: 1.40.0000
    Serial number: [YOURPHONESSERIAL] (and yes, it has to be correct. Revolutionary will not without the key corresponding to your phone's serial number)

Click 'Generate key.' Make note of the key for when your ready to run Revolutionary (remember: the key is case sensitive).

Test that your computer will boot the Toolkit before Bricking! Use the 'Check device status' function in the Toolkit to see if your phone is being recognized (USB debugging must be enabled on your phone (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging).

2. Backup your phone
    3. If you are HTCDev Unlocked -> Read Instructions in FAQ above
    4. Boot into your bootloader (Power off your phone -> Hold Vol - and press Power button)
    5. If you get a Security Warning or you were HTCDev Unlocked, Power off your phone. Put SD Card into your computer. Skip to step 12 if this doesn't apply to you.
    6. Copy 2.17 RUU to SDCard. Make sure that it's named PG86IMG.zip.
    7. Power on the phone by pressing Vol - and Power. (If you see the word 'FASTBOOT' highlighted in red, hit the power button)
    8. The Bootloader should should start checking the File.
    9. After it finishes checking. Press the Vol + button to flash the image.
    10. Let it flash all the way.
    11. Once done, reboot back into the Bootloader.
    12. Run the 2.17 RUU again, except this is where you will brick the phone (on purpose) -> It's best if you read Unknownforce's instructions for bricking.
    13. Once the phone is in a bricked state, boot up into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit.
    14. Leave the battery out of your phone. Don't plug it in yet.
    15. From the main menu, type 'd' and press enter.
    16. Read the instructions on the screen carefully.
    17. Press enter until you see the words "Waiting for device..."
    18. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone in.
    19. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    20. It should ask you to unplug the USB cable and press enter.
    21. When you see the words "Waiting for device..." move on to the next step.
    22. While holding down the Volume - button, plug the phone back in.
    23. If it worked, then you have successfully downgraded your Bootloader, if it didn't, put your battery back into your phone, and press power. If the phone powers on, go back to step 12. The phone wasn't bricked.
    24. Now. Reboot into Windows and run the 1.13 RUU EXE that you downloaded.
    25. When that's done, reboot back into the HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit and power on your phone.
    26. Run Revolutionary from the menu. You'll be required to input your beta code from the Revolutionary website.
    27. You may need to let Revolutionary rerun several times.
    28. When you see "-Revolutionary-" at the top of your bootloader, you have achieved Revolutionary S-OFF!

29. Make sure to flash a custom recovery image onto your phone. You can flash ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.1.0 or 4.0.1.4 from the toolkit. You may also flash (Such as TWRP or Clockworkmod Recovery) using the command: fastboot flash recovery [NAMEOFRECOVERY].img

30. I recommend that you flash a custom ROM. If you want to stay on a (mostly) stock ROM, I would recommend that you flash one of Mr.Esp's Stock Rooted ROMs. They will not "upgrade" your bootloader to HBOOT 1.50.
    31. After you have done that, go ahead and make a Backup in your custom recovery.

Resources
    Unknownforce's [DOWNGRADE HBOOT/UNBRICK] HBOOT 1.50
    PoorCollegeGuy's instructions for Burning an ISO to a CD
    Mpgrimm2's list of 2.17 Links
    Mpgrimm2's list of Stock & 2.17 ROMs
    How To: Pull PG86IMG.zip from Evo3D RUU.exe (Mpgrimm2)
    lpjzfan2005's Live CD Mac OS X tutorial
    joefanelli's Using a FLASH phone? (Read this if you are flashed to a different carrier!)
    2.17 Based Rom/Radio Links with Root

Ok it updated on the bootloader but when i checked software information i was still 1.13 and not 2.17......

Basically, At this point after your Downgrade you should already have:
    Run the 1.13.651.7 Ruu.exe
    Revolutionary for S-Off .............(Error 16 Fix if needed)
    Installed a custom recovery (Via Revolutionary, Fastboot, or an Android App)

I've seen it suggested to update the radios to: 1.06.00.1216 so you can run 2.17 based roms without fc's (MeanRom & other places).
    - xhausx's Radio Update:Firmware w/o hBoot, System, Boot and Recovery partitions. (Must be S-OFF)
    MD5: 25442C4C8EDDD628391FA6E3CD9924B0
    OR
    - Freeza's Radio Update: freeza's all in one firmware update
    MD5: ec8cfc56a74b445d3a1861b7bb995e63

At this point you'll have Revolutionary Hboot 1.4 xxx with S-Off, a 1.13 Rom, the 2.17 Radio Update Bits, but not Root (no Su) yet.

If you want full 2.17.651.5 you would do a full wipe and restore your Rooted 2.17.651.5 based backup (u made a backup before downgrade right?),

or look for a "Rooted Stock 2.17 zip" to flash
    - Look for Full System/boot:•Stock odex + su + busybox ),
    - Mr.Esp's ROMs (don't rename, flash like regular rom)

Note: Here's the latest Su if you need it: Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip (put on root of sdcard & flash with recovery)

or any 2.17 Gingerbread based rom with root such as
    - MeanRom
    - CleanRom Reborn
    - Chogardjr3D Blue,
    - etc.

New ICS Leak Based Roms (Stay with the 2.17 FW Radios for now!)
    - MeanRomICS (my current favorite)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4-17-12 Update:
    - For those of you sticking with 2.08 and earlier base Roms that want to update the radio, here's the correct thread: All Previous Evo3d Radios Only (Before 2.17)
    Hey man thanks for the tool! I have already downgraded with the original tutorial but I bet this will help a lot of people get the guts to do it!
    :D
    Oh and if you want I will go ahead and download and mirror for you if you would like

Thank you! And that would be awesome! Thank you! :)