easyroot+S-off mac/linux

Search This thread

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have made a script of the most popular guide for rooting the Thunderbolt right now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...he-htc-thunderbolt-and-unlock-its-bootloader/

Long story short, I have not tested this enough to guarantee it will work for everyone. It can run on both Mac and Linux, and only requires that curl is installed (by default on Mac, and most Linux distros). I have made absolutely sure that the script did not run anything what-so-ever that is damaging without letting you verify that you want to continue several times.

Please only test at this time if you know your way around adb, and are willing to run into non-damaging issues (it may fail, but I assure you, no damage is done)

usage
Make sure the phone is plugged in and adb is installed and working, and device is showing. Start a terminal IN the adb directory and put this script in there. Start it as usual in a terminal? (rename oneClick.txt to oneClick.sh)

Both AndroidPolice & AndIRC are nor affiliated with this root process or responsible for it.

Attachments

• oneClick.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 501
Last edited by a moderator:

bkiminfinity

Feb 21, 2011
has anyone tested this? i have a mac but am not experienced in adb...was going to give it a shot when i got off work today.

@kdb424, is there some way you could provide more detailed instructions for adb noobs? if not, i'll try dbzfanatic's easy root or attempt this after learning adb myself first.

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
First off, thanks andrew8806 for doing that edit. I knew I had missed something.
Second, the only thing you should have to do on a mac to verify this is going to work is make sure adb is installed, and make sure your device comes up in adb devices.
If that's good, all you need to do is open a terminal and type "cd " and drag and drop the folder that adb is installed into (depending on where you installed it, it could be different or I'd just type it) then put the script in there and run

sh ./oneClick.sh

and follow the instructions in the script.

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yes, absolutely. Long story short is that it requires that an old build be flashed on your phone so that can be hacked. It's the only know method of rooting now. All one clicks are just abusing that and simplifying as much as possible.

bkiminfinity

Feb 21, 2011
just got done rooting with my macbook pro. the script kdb424 wrote worked really well. there were a few hiccups along the way, not sure if they were from my terminal glitching or the script or my phone or whatever, but it worked, flashing clockworkmod right now to change the ROM.

for anyone curious, sometimes the script would just stop because some command missed or something. i would just edit kdb424's script to remove the portion that i already completed and rerun the script essentially starting it up again wherever it messed up. at the end i ran the last few lines myself but overall it was quite helpful to root, especially for someone new to ADB like me.

Reactions: kdb424

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
just got done rooting with my macbook pro. the script kdb424 wrote worked really well. there were a few hiccups along the way, not sure if they were from my terminal glitching or the script or my phone or whatever, but it worked, flashing clockworkmod right now to change the ROM.

for anyone curious, sometimes the script would just stop because some command missed or something. i would just edit kdb424's script to remove the portion that i already completed and rerun the script essentially starting it up again wherever it messed up. at the end i ran the last few lines myself but overall it was quite helpful to root, especially for someone new to ADB like me.

Thank you so much. I'm glad to hear success. I know ADB has some issues that I can not resolve. It's the same no matter how you root. Do you remember what portions gave you trouble specifically? I could take a closer look at it and iron hose things out. Once again, thanks again, and glad I could help!

bkiminfinity

Feb 21, 2011
Do you remember what portions gave you trouble specifically? I could take a closer look at it and iron hose things out. Once again, thanks again, and glad I could help!

all of the md5 sums and outputs were correct so there were no brick possibility i think. if i recall correctly, sometimes pushing the PS05IMG.zip would not execute properly and the script would not continue until i reran it. i think that might've happened with both the downgrade and the s-off one, can't say for certain. some parts that hiccuped may have just been my tbolt needing extra reboots so i don't think that was the script's fault. towards the end i would just run the lines myself, i think i had to redo the ./adb shell /data/local/psneuter line the most before it took properly. i believe that was it, like i had said it was quite helpful and greatly expedited the rooting process.

htcimagio

Oct 17, 2009
Im expierienced with ADB and I have a mac. Will be trying this out now. Reporting back soon.....

Edit (after using scipt)

While the script is great, the end just turns into a #failfest. It refuses to the final file to my SD card and sites that its read only. The end I am doing manually. The rest of the script is amzing and gets a A+

Last edited:

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'll be looking into that. If I come up with any typos in the script, I'll update and let you know. ADB is known to act odd at times, so it may be pure ADB's fault. Definitely taking a look into though,. Enjoy your root!

IISiDeK1CKII

Aug 30, 2010
Greenville, NC
I just got root using the OG method on my mac and it was a PITA. I think the big thing to know is you can use every step listed by jcase, but you need to use ./adb instead of JUST adb.

After completing root the long way, I imagine this would expedite things exponentially.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have made a script of the most popular guide for rooting the Thunderbolt right now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...he-htc-thunderbolt-and-unlock-its-bootloader/

Long story short, I have not tested this enough to guarantee it will work for everyone. It can run on both Mac and Linux, and only requires that curl is installed (by default on Mac, and most Linux distros). I have made absolutely sure that the script did not run anything what-so-ever that is damaging without letting you verify that you want to continue several times.

Please only test at this time if you know your way around adb, and are willing to run into non-damaging issues (it may fail, but I assure you, no damage is done)

usage
    Make sure the phone is plugged in and adb is installed and working, and device is showing. Start a terminal IN the adb directory and put this script in there. Start it as usual in a terminal? (rename oneClick.txt to oneClick.sh)

Both AndroidPolice & AndIRC are nor affiliated with this root process or responsible for it.