Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

R3nrut

Jun 5, 2009
DFW
r3nrut.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So I've been around this site quite a bit so don't believe this is my actual first post. Nevertheless, I have someone helping me working on the JTAG interface software needed to force the SPL raw data back to bricked devices.

With the help of a few XDA members I think we can help restore these devices. I am going to need a way to push the raw SPL to the device. I can supply a detail manual on how to construct the cable with minimal expense and hopefully supply the software to get these coma victims back in working order.

I will round up what I have thus far and start posting the information via this thread.

plageius

Sep 21, 2008
So I've been around this site quite a bit so don't believe this is my actual first post. Nevertheless, I have someone helping me working on the JTAG interface software needed to force the SPL raw data back to bricked devices.

With the help of a few XDA members I think we can help restore these devices. I am going to need a way to push the raw SPL to the device. I can supply a detail manual on how to construct the cable with minimal expense and hopefully supply the software to get these coma victims back in working order.

I will round up what I have thus far and start posting the information via this thread.

i would give you money! beer money chocolate milk hookers whatver you prefer!!!

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009

First off, connection points would be great.
Second, remember that this is a linux device, so producing a windoze-only repair program would be EVIL :p

trmacdonal

Oct 18, 2007
Boston
First off, connection points would be great.
Second, remember that this is a linux device, so producing a windoze-only repair program would be EVIL :p

I would bet the vast majority of bricked phones are windows only users. If its possible to do on Windows I would make that my priority if I was a dev. People that use Linux are generally tech savy enough to either also have a windows PC or be able to make it work through an emulator. Windows only people are generally lost when it comes to Linux. Just a little point to consider.

profchaos

Oct 3, 2007
I would bet the vast majority of bricked phones are windows only users. If its possible to do on Windows I would make that my priority if I was a dev. People that use Linux are generally tech savy enough to either also have a windows PC or be able to make it work through an emulator. Windows only people are generally lost when it comes to Linux. Just a little point to consider.

+1 on that

And R3nrut I will name my first child or my big toe "R3nrut" (you pick) if you make this happen.

RueTheDay

Apr 11, 2009

A JTAG interface generally means taking the phone apart, locating the test points on the circuit board, and then soldering a bunch of wires to those testpoints. If you're squeamish about installing linux on a PC and running a Linux program, JTAG probably isn't for you.

gfrancis306

May 11, 2009
Just putting this out there... don't know the significance but anyway.

I bricked my phone with the haykuro SPL. For some reason my recovery.img was not flashed, or something. After installing the SPL and going to reinstall the ROM, alt+x was not an option in recovery mode, so I had to hit home+back and restart the phone, which bricked it completely. That's not the important part...

I had fully charged my phone just so I don't have to worry about it when (if) there arises a fix. I unplugged it before going to sleep, and put it into the blue LED mode because, well... I like the pretty color. haha

Anyway, a simple little LED should not drain the battery all that much, but when I woke up (about 7 hours later) the LED was off and phone would not power on at all. This leads me to believe the 'Blue LED mode' is not simply a hardware lock that lights a little LED, but maybe some internal processes are happening which drains the battery significantly.

Please provide any feedback if you agree or disagree

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
actually that sounds promising, as i leave my phone on overnight for 12 or more hours without charge and my phone is still decently charged in the morning, even with the screen on it stays alive(if only a little). so the pretty blue light is obviously doing xomething, we just don't know what

gfrancis306

May 11, 2009
actually that sounds promising, as i leave my phone on overnight for 12 or more hours without charge and my phone is still decently charged in the morning, even with the screen on it stays alive(if only a little). so the pretty blue light is obviously doing xomething, we just don't know what

My thoughts exactly. Thank you. Only a matter of time now.

I'd have already warrantied this phone out, but I'm using it unlocked on my AT&T account. :cool:

taylorb1

Oct 15, 2008
quick question to all, i am gonna admit that i do not have a brick in hand, i am only curious as to what EXACTLY caused this, i know you are all stuck on the t-mobile G1 screen, but those that have a custom boot image(or two) are you stuck on splash1 or splash2? i personally use two separate images when i boot one is splash1 and one is splash2 and i am not quite curious enough to brick my device

P.S. if anyone wants to throw away their bricked G1 please send me a PM i would be more than willing to take it off your hands as long as you are in US

Sorry NO plans on trashing my Brick.. but I'll give you the run-down on how it happened and maybe someone can help me...

So... last night, my phone is charging and I'm reading War of the Worlds on Wordplayer (like I have done many times before), and my dad calls me... we talked for 5-6 minutes, and when I pressed the red 'hang-up' button on the phone (like i have done many times before)... the screen goes black and I get NADA response from any buttons or sliding out the screen.

So I popped the battery out and in and restarted... Now i get the first big G1 splash and that's IT! I have tried several times, and every time is the same.

When I enter Bootloader, it tells me that my Build is JF 1.41, but I know I have already gotten the latest JF 1.51 from last week...

I am really confused on this and need some help...

EDIT: I dont konw what caused it, but I did a wipe, and now it works fine. Aside from being a bit miffed about losing all my data, at least i have the phone back to life!!

Last edited:

taylorb1

Oct 15, 2008
Well, I thought wiping solved the issue.. but this afternoon, we were watching a vid on youtube, and the screen froze... my battery wasnt low, there werent lots of things going on... it just froze... Now when I reboot, I get stuck on either the first or second splash screen... just neva know...

and when i plug it in to charge, I get a RED LED light, instead of the Orange that I am used to... WTF??? so what does a RED light mean?

I really dont wanna wipe it again just to start over and have this trouble all over again tomorrow...

gfrancis306

May 11, 2009
First off, when ever you start to modify your device, always remember to make a Nandroid backup, and copy it to your desktop!! (enter bootloader, Alt+b then save the Nandroid folder on your SD to your desktop.)

That way, whenever to start switching ROMs are what not, and something goes wrong, you'll always be able to revert your phone back to it's last working condition. Doing this will save you from lots of frustrating nights.

I also recommend making a new backup everytime you change ROMs and saving all of them for two reasons. First, you will have all your apps and what not alreay there and not have to go through the trouble of finding and setting them up all over again, and Two, if you're like me and like to switch ROMs alot, it's alot easier to just fastboot a ROM than doing it through the bootloader. And like I said, everything is already there where you left it instead of what goes on when you Alt+w.

When your phone lags, or loops or you think it's gonna brick...as long as it powers on, you're Golden. Just power off. and fastboot.

Making your device "almost" brickproof

First, start the bootloader home+power

Once in the bootloader, press alt+b and wait for it to make your backup. Then reboot.

Power on, mount the phone via USB and get the Nandroid folder of your SD and copy it to your Desktop

Create a new folder called Android and put it in the root of your C:\

Copy the following from Nandroid folder to Android folder:
data.img, system.img, boot.img

You're done.

Restoring your piece

Power on in fastboot (camera+power)
Plug in USB, but do not mount, just push the back key until it says fastboot
run CMD(Windows), or Gnome(Linux)
enter cd C:\Android *replace "C:\" with whatever drive you have your folder on
at C:\Android, enter:
fastboot flash system system.img after it says okay, enter
fastboot flash userdata data.img after it says okay, enter
fastboot flash boot boot.img after okay, enter
fastboot reboot

Then you WILL be back in the game!!

nice post and thanks for the info but if you've read this thread at all it's for the actually bricked phones which were made so by upgrading to haykuro's new SPL. bootloader, recovery mode, safe mode, nothing will boot this phone past the G1 loading screen.

Well, I thought wiping solved the issue.. but this afternoon, we were watching a vid on youtube, and the screen froze... my battery wasnt low, there werent lots of things going on... it just froze... Now when I reboot, I get stuck on either the first or second splash screen... just neva know...

and when i plug it in to charge, I get a RED LED light, instead of the Orange that I am used to... WTF??? so what does a RED light mean?

I really dont wanna wipe it again just to start over and have this trouble all over again tomorrow...

i'd kill to be in your place opposed to mine

BlackElvis79

May 2, 2009
SoCal
Oops...

nice post and thanks for the info but if you've read this thread at all it's for the actually bricked phones which were made so by upgrading to haykuro's new SPL. bootloader, recovery mode, safe mode, nothing will boot this phone past the G1 loading screen.

i'd kill to be in your place opposed to mine

Sorry about that.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009

100% of windoze-only users should definitely NOT be disassembling their phone and soldering wires onto it.

R3nrut

Jun 5, 2009
DFW
r3nrut.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
A JTAG interface generally means taking the phone apart, locating the test points on the circuit board, and then soldering a bunch of wires to those testpoints. If you're squeamish about installing linux on a PC and running a Linux program, JTAG probably isn't for you.

Yeah, more or less if you don't work on electronic devices and have a strong understanding of what this could permanently do to your device, I'd suggest just selling the things or hiring someone to fix it for you.

If you feel adventuresome, check this out to learn how to take apart your G1.
http://mikechannon.net/PDF Manuals/HTC Dream SM (A04).pdf

*Thanks Mike for that tutorial and your site full of goodies.*

So here is the information I know thus far, so you guys and gals don't think I'm just dragging you along for the hell of it...

MSM7201A IC provides two seperate JTAG ports (primary and aux ports):
- The primary JTAG port is dedicated
- The aux JTAG port is available through configurable GPIO pins

We will need to jack into the aux JTAG port using the GPIO Pins.

These JTAG pins communicate with the ARM9/ARM11 cores, depending upon the mode setting.
- The JTAG mode is selected by setting hte MODE[3:0] pings.

*** At this point I'm missing some information. I need the following document: (80-V9038-13) for more information on using the JTAG interface with the G1.

Now, I am well aware that the chipset on the G1 is MSM7201A, however, I've done my research and I feel confident that the MSM7200A docs will suffice for this project.

Here are the Mode pins [3:0]
0000 Native, ARM9 on Primary JTAG, ARM11 on AUX JTAG
0001 TLMM_INT_JTAG_CTL register specifies the internal version of the MODE pin value for the Primary JTAG port:

TLMM_INT_JTAG_CTL settings:
0000: ARM9 only
0001: ARM9+ARM11 daisy-chained
0010: Reserved
0011: Reserved
1001: ARM9+ARM11+rtck daisy-chained

0010 Reserved
0011 Reserved
0100 Boundary scan mode
0101 to 1111 Reserved

The four mode pins are AA7, AB8, AD7 and AE7 (MSB and LSB)

**modes listed above have not been fully tested**

JTAG Pin Connections (I'll load a spreadsheet version of this to my site and link it later so it doesn't look like crap)

Signal Name Pin # I/O Voltage Description Comments
Primary Interface – dedicated pins
TRST_N AC5 I P3 reset
TCK AD6 I P3 clock input
TMS AD4 I P3 mode select
TDI AB5 I P3 data input
TDO AE6 Z P3 data output
RTCK AE5 O P3 return clock

Secondary Interface – configurable GPIO pins
AUX_TRST_N Y21 I P2 reset GPIO(102)
AUX_TCK AA24 I P2 clock input GPIO(103)
AUX_TMS Y24 I P2 mode select GPIO(98)
AUX_TDI W22 I P2 data input GPIO(99)
AUX_TDO W21 Z P2 data output GPIO(100)
AUX_RTCK Y22 O P2 return clock GPIO(101)

Mode Control Pins
MODE3 AA7 I P3 Determines operating mode of the IC.
MODE2 AB8 I P3
MODE1 AD7 I P3
MODE0 AE7 I P3

I'll also post the schematic of the example JTAG Connection from the adapter to the MSM7200A IC.

The biggest concern I have at this point is the software to push the raw SPL data. If someone can help with that I think we can get this done. Anyone??

JTAG_Adapter_IC.png

TLMM_Architecture.png

Last edited:

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
i don't know much about this stuff, but from the looks of the last post you guys are getting pretty close. i really hope this works out(and i really wish i had a bricked phone to try it on when done).

@@trmacdonal
not all linux users are tech savvy, i personally am just too cheap to pay $200 for a legal copy of windows, and most emulators don't recognize devices in weird states, like my windows virtual box won't let me use MTTY because it can't see the phone in diagnostic state.

@@R3nrut
wouldn't you have to extract the SPL from an update(i believe they are in .bin format) and just use that as the raw data or something else.

@@all
if you messed up your phone and the ONLY chance of fixing it was to take it apart and flash something to it while it is apart then well, it's your only option and maybe next time you'll be a little less willing to play with new toys, i'm not trying to be mean, just putting it out there that you messed up because you wanted to be among the first to try something new(which is part of the reason most of us joined this site).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no led light when the battery is out and the phone is plugged into charger.

What he means is, pull the bat out. Put the bat back in, don't press any buttons. Plug in the charger, don't press any buttons. What color is the led.

Also are u using wall charger or usb? Does the comp see it at all?