About to get an LG G2

Search This thread

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
I'm about to get an LG G2, probably sprint or verizon edition.
Is it possible to unlock the Sprint/Verizon LG G2 to use it on T-Mobile or worldwide carriers? With 4G and LTE?
Are there good ROMs for this device? Does it come with an in built backup like Motorola has its RSD lite?
Thanks!

itzdajosh

Nov 19, 2014
Is it possible to unlock the Sprint/Verizon LG G2 to use it on T-Mobile or worldwide carriers? With 4G and LTE?
Are there good ROMs for this device? Does it come with an in built backup like Motorola has its RSD lite?
Thanks!

Yes you can unlock these models to work on any GSM carrier, and I recommend resurrection remix rom or cloudy g3,Res Remix rom is the latest version of Android (5.0.2)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

PloniAlmoni

Sep 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

Thanks!

You won't get LTE on the Sprint model on T-Mobile I think. I don't know about Verizon. 3.5G HSPA+ will work fine though. As for good ROMs, you'll have to deal with bugs. Though I had good luck with dr87's Madhi ROM (kitkat). A pity he's retired from the G2 deving scene...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: itzdajosh

sandys1

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks!

do remember that the maximum number of ROMs/accessories are for the GSM series (D800/801/802/803)

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
Yes you can unlock these models to work on any GSM carrier, and I recommend resurrection remix rom or cloudy g3,Res Remix rom is the latest version of Android (5.0.2)

Thank you for your ROM recommendation, although I believe the Sprint model can't use LTE/4G on other GSM networks.

Reactions: itzdajosh

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
You won't get LTE on the Sprint model on T-Mobile I think. I don't know about Verizon. 3.5G HSPA+ will work fine though. As for good ROMs, you'll have to deal with bugs. Though I had good luck with dr87's Madhi ROM (kitkat). A pity he's retired from the G2 deving scene...

It's great that the Sprint edition of the G2 is cheaper, but it won't work for my T-Mobile 4G plan I guess.
Bugs are fine, I've been on my Atrix 2 for ages and flashed more than 10 ROMs :p

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
It is locked to Verizon, being a Verizon phone... but it has Unlocked GSM bands... so it will work with AT&T and Tmobile with no problem, without tweaking. I believe you can also flash actual Tmobile/AT&T roms on it. I am not 100% certain but I am pretty sure I have heard of people doing this to gain extra carrier specific stuff like T-Mobile's WiFi calling.

Also I like CloudyG3 2.0 rom. CM12 Lollipop also works great on the Verizon G2

PloniAlmoni

Sep 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think that the Verizon G2 will work with T-Mobile LTE either, unless it supports both T-Mobile's and Verizon's LTE bands. You can use T-Mobile with either device, just no LTE.

ossito2012

Jan 26, 2012
Rogers Park
Why would you want a G2, as a stock phone it is one of the best ever, BUT as a phone for flashing roms and stuff, it is like a cold wet rag, yeah we have some FULLY functioning stock based and ported roms, there are also some cute roms that are far from fully functional (AOSP, CM, PA, etc etc),yeah you can have themes but you can bet you will be giving up something for pretty icons, i.e rotation, BT, GPS, Volume, screen damage, etc., hell sometimes you might give up all of these, smh.

If you want to flash "fully functioning" non-alpha/beta roms then check out some other phones too before making that purchase.

As far as getting phones from one company to work on another's network, I thought that if they do not allow the IMEI number it won't matter what you do to unlock. Maybe I am mistaken.:confused:

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the heads up!
Does the Verizon model support the bands of LTE for other carriers though?

Most people I've see post about it on vzw get LTE NP, and everything seems to work well for them.

There was a good bit of people having issues with screen damage, but a lot of that has weened off, haven't seen anyone post about it for a while.

Been flashing this vs980 daily for over a year, and its good to go. Best phone I've purchased.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Why would you want a G2, as a stock phone it is one of the best ever, BUT as a phone for flashing roms and stuff, it is like a cold wet rag, yeah we have some FULLY functioning stock based and ported roms, there are also some cute roms that are far from fully functional (AOSP, CM, PA, etc etc),yeah you can have themes but you can bet you will be giving up something for pretty icons, i.e rotation, BT, GPS, Volume, screen damage, etc., hell sometimes you might give up all of these, smh.

If you want to flash "fully functioning" non-alpha/beta roms then check out some other phones too before making that purchase.

As far as getting phones from one company to work on another's network, I thought that if they do not allow the IMEI number it won't matter what you do to unlock. Maybe I am mistaken.:confused:

I think you're wrong. There are some great ROMs for the G2. Even CM12 i heard runs surprisingly flawless. I personally love the LG ROMs and running a G3 port that is super solid. The G2 is a wicked phone and has a sweet dev community because of it.

I've not heard any negative complaints.

finbaar

Apr 1, 2011
I think you're wrong. There are some great ROMs for the G2. Even CM12 i heard runs surprisingly flawless. I personally love the LG ROMs and running a G3 port that is super solid. The G2 is a wicked phone and has a sweet dev community because of it.

I've not heard any negative complaints.

I don't think that they own a G2. CM11 was as solid as stock and the CM12 based roms are great with only very minor issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

Thank you for your ROM recommendation, although I believe the Sprint model can't use LTE/4G on other GSM networks.
    G2's are great devices, HOWEVER, they have to many hardware issues. Im now on my 7th g2 and will not be getting another one after this.

I will be investing in a oneplue one device. Specs exceed the g2 for half the price. Look it up and check it out.

Then i would say you are unluck with g2 lots. Mine has no issue as far as hardware is concerned. I am still on stock rom rooted and achieved all tweaks with use of xposed.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app
    Thanks everyone, I did get the g2 and its super smooth!
    I'm fine with stock for now and I don't wanna go messing around with the custom recoveries and rooting just yet, in case the phone bricks or something. By the way, I got the vs980 model.