[Q] Bricked my galaxy s3 while editing the build.prop Please Help!

Search This thread

crammer04

May 14, 2012
Brooklyn
I have a major problem but i think there is a way to fix it, i just cant figure it out. i was adding google wallet on my rooted s3 and when reverting the build.prop file to its original form, i just copied and pasted the backup and renamed it to the original build.prop to replace the new one using root explorer. my phone does not boot up now i get the samsung startup screen and it shuts off. i could get into cwm recovery mode. any way to fix the build.prop without being able to fully boot the phone? i am on a mac but i could have access to a pc tomorrow if i need.

bbgt2

Jan 25, 2011
Chitown
Its simple if u have a backup. I have not heard of anyway of getting to build.prop thru recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
You need to restore from backup (nandroid) or start over if you don't have a backup..

Did you copy the original file to ur sd card then back over?

Chances are you did.. I did the same thing lol.. And when u do that it doesn't save original permissions of the file.

The reason the wallet post says to use root explorer is because it saves the file in the same folder permissions and all and you can just rename it back.

Sorry dude u are sol.. Restore from back up or flash a new rom and start over.

ibanezbass

Jan 29, 2009
Oklahoma City
Permissions probably got reset. Resetting to factory will not change the build.prop. Either re-install the rom or...

Do this. This will reset permissions to the correct value without affecting your data. This is easy once you get the hang of it. I do not know if I'm allowed to post up the adb file or I would.

I'm going to run through a quick setup of the Android SDK so that you can use adb if you choose to go this route. The SDK will be useful all though rooted phone usage, so I suggest you download it and use it. ADB is a very powerful tool. First, Google Android SDK. The first result should be the official site for the Google developer section. Just open that top link and the page should have a huge button that says "Download the SDK for (Windows or Mac or whatever)". Click it. Mac users.. Yours does not actually setup. You need to find the SDK Manager app within that zipped download and run it. Windows users... Run the setup. When it's done it will open the SDK manager. Both Users... Check the box next to the "Android SDK Platform-tools". Bottom Right, Install x Packages. Make sure you take note of the SDK path displayed at the top of the manager. EG. C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk. Mac users: Yours will be in the downloaded folder that you extracted. All Users: Navigate to that folder via terminal (mac) or cmd.exe (windows). Windows: cd C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk ... Mac: cd /Users/josh/Downloads/android-sdk/ ... Then navigate to the platform-tools folder that is within the SDK folder. Here is where ADB is located.

Windows instructions:
Download adb.exe, either through the Android SDK or elsewhere. Use Google.
Connect phone to computer via USB.
Boot phone into recovery.
Use cmd.exe (Use Windows key+R, and type cmd in the run window) to navigate to the folder containing adb.
E.g. "cd c:\Users\Josh\Downloads\adb"
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone. If you get an error, make sure you have the drivers loaded for your phone.
Run "cd /system"
Run "chmod 644 build.prop"
Optional: Run "ls -l" and make sure that the permissions on build.prop show RW-R--R--.
Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
Download the adb application, either through the Android SDK or elsewhere. Use Google. Make sure you download the Mac version, not the Windows or Linux version.
Connect phone to Mac.
Reboot phone into recovery.
Open Terminal on Mac. /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app or use spotlight to find it.
Navigate to folder containing the adb app. E.g. "cd /Users/josh/Downloads/adb/"
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone.
Run "cd /system"
Optional: Run "ls -l" and make sure that the permissions on build.prop show RW-R--R--.
Reboot phone.

Last edited:

jethro650

Dec 17, 2010
Side note--> twrp recovery has a built in terminal and the ability to copy/paste files from internal and external SD cards. Not so sure about changing permissions easily....but through the built in terminal....might be able to load what you need (plus twrp flashable found in android dev forum) on external SD card with an adapter on a computer. Flash twrp and transfer files or use built in terminal to change perms. Good luck....

shoupness

Aug 20, 2011
I know editing build props with es file explorer will cause That.

crammer04

May 14, 2012
Brooklyn
Fixed it!

Thanks everyone for your help, i feel like an idiot for not replying to anyone i didnt have it set up to notify me of replies, i figured out it was the build prop that was messed up, im not sure how this worked but i figured i would try to root again and flash the root files using the simple root steps using odin and it actually fixed the file and booted up fine! i appreciate everyones help and hope this thread helps other people because i know many people screw this up the same way i did. (i will never do anything like this without doing a nandroid backup again). THANKS AGAIN!

crammer04

May 14, 2012
Brooklyn
thanks but..

Permissions probably got reset. Resetting to factory will not change the build.prop. Either re-install the rom or...

Do this. This will reset permissions to the correct value without affecting your data. This is easy once you get the hang of it. I do not know if I'm allowed to post up the adb file or I would.

I'm going to run through a quick setup of the Android SDK so that you can use adb if you choose to go this route. The SDK will be useful all though rooted phone usage, so I suggest you download it and use it. ADB is a very powerful tool. First, Google Android SDK. The first result should be the official site for the Google developer section. Just open that top link and the page should have a huge button that says "Download the SDK for (Windows or Mac or whatever)". Click it. Mac users.. Yours does not actually setup. You need to find the SDK Manager app within that zipped download and run it. Windows users... Run the setup. When it's done it will open the SDK manager. Both Users... Check the box next to the "Android SDK Platform-tools". Bottom Right, Install x Packages. Make sure you take note of the SDK path displayed at the top of the manager. EG. C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk. Mac users: Yours will be in the downloaded folder that you extracted. All Users: Navigate to that folder via terminal (mac) or cmd.exe (windows). Windows: cd C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk ... Mac: cd /Users/josh/Downloads/android-sdk/ ... Then navigate to the platform-tools folder that is within the SDK folder. Here is where ADB is located.

Windows instructions:
Use cmd.exe (Use Windows key+R, and type cmd in the run window) to navigate to the folder containing adb.
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone. If you get an error, make sure you have the drivers loaded for your phone.
Run "cd /system"
Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
Download the adb application, either through the Android SDK or elsewhere. Use Google. Make sure you download the Mac version, not the Windows or Linux version.
Connect phone to Mac.
Open Terminal on Mac. /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app or use spotlight to find it.
Run "adb shell"
This should initiate a shell to the phone allowing you to run commands on the phone.
Run "cd /system"
Reboot phone.

So the problem with this route was that for some reason the device was not being recognized by adb, i dont know why, i thought it was a driver issue but once i fixed the phone, i was able to get adb access, so i guess that boot error was preventing it from getting recognized (which i didnt understand because my friend screwed up like me the next day and was able to adb.) but finally fixed it a few days later after trying many things and the fix for some reason was a simple process with odin, i think this article shows what i did, i dont remember exactly tho - http://smartphonefix.blogspot.com/2...r-Recover-Bricked-ATT-Galaxy-S3-SGH-I747.html

lyrictenor1

Mar 3, 2012

Windows instructions:
Run "adb shell"
Run "cd /system"
Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
Connect phone to Mac.
Run "adb shell"
Run "cd /system"
Reboot phone.

Okay, I got the adb shell to run, but I run into this snag:

"Unable to chmod build.prop: Operation not permitted"

Anyone know what this means?

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
If I made a CWM flashable unedited build.prop from a stock SGS3 rom would that help anyone? It just seems easier than all those ADB commands assuming you can still access recovery.

lyrictenor1

Mar 3, 2012
If I made a CWM flashable unedited build.prop from a stock SGS3 rom would that help anyone? It just seems easier than all those ADB commands assuming you can still access recovery.

I'm sure that'll probably helpful to a lot of people. Unfortunately, I'm using the stock recovery so it probably wouldn't help me...

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm sure that'll probably helpful to a lot of people. Unfortunately, I'm using the stock recovery so it probably wouldn't help me...

If you're not comfortable with ADB: You should try to flash recovery (recommended TWRP but at this point take anything you can get) from ODIN. I know I've seen it around here somewhere. Once you do that, then flash the attached file.

This will flash in CWM/TWRP etc. I haven't tested it, so send me a PM if it doesn't work and I'll fix it up.

Edit: I've located the proper recovery file for you to flash. It's cwm, but you flash this with ODIN. Download it from here http://k0nane.info/rom/ecm/CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v5.tar.md5 . ODIN will increase your flash counter, but Chainfire's Triangle Away app takes care of that like it never happened. Odin can be found in the development thread. If you want to automate this process even further just download the qcom toolkit which walks you through the process of installing recovery. I hope this helps.

Lastly, here's the latest TWRP image file with ADB instructions. Short, sweet and simple. http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/104

Last edited:
Reactions: lyrictenor1

xxsicknessxx

Nov 21, 2011
I have a major problem but i think there is a way to fix it, i just cant figure it out. i was adding google wallet on my rooted s3 and when reverting the build.prop file to its original form, i just copied and pasted the backup and renamed it to the original build.prop to replace the new one using root explorer. my phone does not boot up now i get the samsung startup screen and it shuts off. i could get into cwm recovery mode. any way to fix the build.prop without being able to fully boot the phone? i am on a mac but i could have access to a pc tomorrow if i need.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you got no back up give us your phone information one of us can send you one I have aTT D2att you
?
Its all in my sig get mobile odin bellow, get the tar for which ever recovery you got. I got all three. CWM, CWM Touch and TWRP for d2att (only) if different phone then use other ones.
Thats my build prop im D2att SG3 ok so just make sure. But you can grab mobile odin bellow and fix it.

Here is all drop box to get any of the recoverys --------------------> Recoverys Drop Box
Get mobile odin Here along with the s3 kernal extension its all in here -----------------------> Mobile Odin
If you get hardware id missing error install these old samsung dricers this is a bonus, don't update it ----------------> Hardware ID samsung driver fix
Mobile odin is simple if download zip in my drop box just install it (or get it form market) download the driver you need (in my drop box) or go mobile odin thread and find it if your on a different phone. Rest is simple just load what your going to flash click the OPEN FILE option in mobile odin click tar and run it.
Get android comander. You can mod build prop easy with it its nice GUI for installing programs or uninstalling or backups or moving files around. awesome try out here --------------------------------> ANDROID COMANDER

need anything else?

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Okay, I got the adb shell to run, but I run into this snag:

"Unable to chmod build.prop: Operation not permitted"

Anyone know what this means?

Tiy need to remount system Read Write i don't think its a SU problem it could be but normaly you already got su i forget comand in adv its mount system -r i beleive. I dunno I run a script that mounts it for me let me check it out real fast

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

So the problem with this route was that for some reason the device was not being recognized by adb, i dont know why, i thought it was a driver issue but once i fixed the phone, i was able to get adb access, so i guess that boot error was preventing it from getting recognized (which i didnt understand because my friend screwed up like me the next day and was able to adb.) but finally fixed it a few days later after trying many things and the fix for some reason was a simple process with odin, i think this article shows what i did, i dont remember exactly tho - http://smartphonefix.blogspot.com/2...r-Recover-Bricked-ATT-Galaxy-S3-SGH-I747.html

Just so you no a common problem when doing commands you forget to do it just trying help didn't know fixed

#!/system/bin/sh
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

Last edited:

DXP2

Oct 30, 2012
Columbus
My build.prop got messed up while trying to install Google Wallet on my rooted sg3 and my phone became soft bricked. I had to reinstall the stock jellybean ROM with root that I had been running before this happened, through Odin. Solved my problem. Never got wallet to work though.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app

Boosoth1st

Jul 1, 2012
Would this work on S3 T-Mobile T-999?

If you're not comfortable with ADB: You should try to flash recovery (recommended TWRP but at this point take anything you can get) from ODIN. I know I've seen it around here somewhere. Once you do that, then flash the attached file.

This will flash in CWM/TWRP etc. I haven't tested it, so send me a PM if it doesn't work and I'll fix it up.

Edit: I've located the proper recovery file for you to flash. It's cwm, but you flash this with ODIN. Download it from here http://k0nane.info/rom/ecm/CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v5.tar.md5 . ODIN will increase your flash counter, but Chainfire's Triangle Away app takes care of that like it never happened. Odin can be found in the development thread. If you want to automate this process even further just download the qcom toolkit which walks you through the process of installing recovery. I hope this helps.

Lastly, here's the latest TWRP image file with ADB instructions. Short, sweet and simple. http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/104

I am having the same problem.... as the person above... Will this .Tar file below work for S3 T-Mobile T-999? Can you make one for that phone?

Thanks for your help!!:)

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Windows instructions:
    Run "adb shell"
    Run "cd /system"
    Reboot phone.

Mac Instructions:
    Connect phone to Mac.
    Run "adb shell"
    Run "cd /system"
    Reboot phone.